ImageImageImage

Pistons moving to Downtown Detroit

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Mr. E
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,510
Location: Defending Planet Earth with a Jet-Pack & a Ray-Gun!

Pistons moving to Downtown Detroit 

Post#1 » by Mr. E » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:48 pm

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247102/NBA-Approves-Pistons-Move-To-Downtown-Detroit

Next season the Pistons are leaving Auburn Hills and will be playing their games in the Little Caesar's Arena in Downtown Detroit.

How do you all feel about this move? Will it be a boon to the downtown area?

What are some good local sources for news on Detroit (non-sports) if you don't mind me asking.
"A fanatic is one who can't change their mind and won't change the subject."
- Winston Churchill
Exit 9
Junior
And1: 191

Re: Pistons moving to Downtown Detroit 

Post#2 » by Exit 9 » Fri Aug 4, 2017 4:57 pm

Mr. E wrote:
What are some good local sources for news on Detroit (non-sports) if you don't mind me asking.

http://www.deadlinedetroit.com/
https://www.detroityes.com/mb/forumdisplay.php?3-Discuss-Detroit
313MADE
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#3 » by flow » Fri Aug 4, 2017 6:50 pm

Mr. E wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247102/NBA-Approves-Pistons-Move-To-Downtown-Detroit

Next season the Pistons are leaving Auburn Hills and will be playing their games in the Little Caesar's Arena in Downtown Detroit.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1481018&hilit=downtown#start_here

Most are happy about it.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#4 » by Liqourish » Wed Aug 9, 2017 12:56 am

flow wrote:
Mr. E wrote:https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247102/NBA-Approves-Pistons-Move-To-Downtown-Detroit

Most (outside of city limits) are happy about it.

Fixed that for you.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#5 » by Manocad » Wed Aug 9, 2017 2:13 am

So you live in the city limits and have a first hand opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Phenomenonsense
Bench Warmer
And1: 528

Post#6 » by Phenomenonsense » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:01 am

I preferred the palace. Detroit is probably a bit further than I will want to drive to see them. Bad enough going to the palace for me.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#7 » by sfballa13 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:02 am

I am not happy

While the Detroit digs may have all the bells and whistles of a new arena, nothing will beat the Palace

Add to the fact that it was considerably refurbished im not exactly sure why this move was made other than to use the 42 days the pistons play at the Palace to book concerts and bring in more revenue
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#8 » by mattao313 » Wed Aug 9, 2017 4:56 am

I like it, I currently don't live in Detroit but I visit a lot and I'm a legit Detroiter, I be all in the hood and downtown area so I got no problem driving through my hood or whatever some people are scared about. I had no interest going to Auburn Hills or the suburbs really.
Championships
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#9 » by Liqourish » Wed Aug 9, 2017 9:07 am

Manocad wrote:So you live in the city limits and have a first hand opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

Yes.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:07 am

sfballa13 wrote:I am not happy

While the Detroit digs may have all the bells and whistles of a new arena, nothing will beat the Palace

Add to the fact that it was considerably refurbished im not exactly sure why this move was made other than to use the 42 days the pistons play at the Palace to book concerts and bring in more revenue

Cause nobody goes to games at the Palace in my opinion. Missing out on a lot of money every game out there as to in Downtown.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#11 » by Canadafan » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:52 am

Lived in Windsor. Made the drive out to the Palace many times from late 80's all the way thru to 2008 when I moved to Toronto. I am sooooo happy they'll be downtown now. Since living here I've still seen multiple Tigers and Lion's games. Love the downtown area where the stadiums are. Can't wait to go to Little Caesars Arena
Mogolo
Sophomore
And1: 122

Post#12 » by Mogolo » Wed Aug 9, 2017 5:06 pm

Seeing as I'm from Kalamazoo (west side of state) location wise it doesn't matter, I only save like 20mins of a 2hr and 30 min drive.
With that being said I'm looking forward to games downtown. Might find something to do before or after the game. Before it was, drive to game, watch game and go home......
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#13 » by flow » Wed Aug 9, 2017 7:18 pm

Liqourish wrote:
flow wrote:

Fixed that for you.

I respect your position. One can argue that the $34.5 mil is already accounted for and just being diverted from one project to another. Certainly, though, it doesn't take much to foresee that compensation for the diverted target(s) is going to have to come from somewhere.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#14 » by Liqourish » Wed Aug 9, 2017 10:28 pm

flow wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
flow wrote:

Fixed that for you.

I respect your position. One can argue that the $34.5 mil is already accounted for and just being diverted from one project to another. Certainly, though, it doesn't take much to foresee that compensation for the diverted target(s) is going to have to come from somewhere.

It's being diverted away from Public Schools. Which might not mean anything to people who don't send their kids to school in Detroit, but our schools are already grossly under funded. Not even sure why the taxpayers are on the hook for $34.5 million when the Pistons aren't even building a new arena, they'll be playing in an arena already in the works. But people outside of the city will justify it by claiming that they'll have more places to choose from to eat at before a game.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#15 » by DBC10 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:22 pm

Liqourish wrote:
flow wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
Fixed that for you.

It's being diverted away from Public Schools. Which might not mean anything to people who don't send their kids to school in Detroit, but our schools are already grossly under funded. Not even sure why the taxpayers are on the hook for $34.5 million when the Pistons aren't even building a new arena, they'll be playing in an arena already in the works. But people outside of the city will justify it by claiming that they'll have more places to choose from to eat at before a game.

Gores needs that money to buy his 3rd house in LA. LA housing market ain't no joke you filthy plebian. /sarcasm
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#16 » by WC NBA Fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:47 pm

As a Piston fan and general fan of the NBA, I'm very happy about the move. The Pistons were the last team to be playing in the suburbs & Auburn Hills was about as suburban & barely in the metro area as you could get. The NBA, more than any other sport, belongs and works well in a downtown setting.

Of the other 29 teams in the league, all but the Warriors, Bulls, Spurs & Sixers play downtown and all of those teams play within the city limits of the city that they call home & 3 of the 4 play within 4 miles of downtown and are easily accessible by rail or bus.

To give some perspective of how far Auburn Hills is compared to other teams, the 4th team of those aforementioned 4, the Warriors, are just 7 miles from downtown Oakland which is roughly a quarter of the distance from Auburn Hills to Detroit & they'll be within 2 miles of downtown SF when they move across the bay in 2019.

Another thing to consider is that most markets that have both an NHL & NBA team, share their arena. The only markets that don't are the Bay Area (Warriors in Oak/SF & Sharks in San Jose), Twin Cities (Wolves in Minneapolis & Wild in St. Paul), South Florida (Heat in Miami & Panthers in suburban Sunrise) & the Valley of the Sun (Suns in Phoenix & the Coyotes in Glendale). Two of those markets don't even have a team in the suburbs as San Jose is actually the most populated city in the bay area & St. Paul is a large city that serves as Minnesota's capital, hence the term "Twin Cities". Only Sunrise & Glendale are considered suburban meaning that the Pistons were 1 of only 3 teams in the NHL & NBA to be in the suburbs & 1 of 5 if you include MLB meaning only 5 out of 90 teams played in the suburbs.

In summation, Detroit can now be mentioned in the same breath as notable cities like New York, Chicago, LA, Toronto, DC, Philly, Boston, Dallas & Denver as opposed to the Pistons being lumped in with the Panthers & Coyotes, the 2 lowest valued teams according the Forbes in the major 4 sports, as suburban teams in the NBA & NHL.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#17 » by WC NBA Fan » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:21 pm

Liqourish wrote:
flow wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
Fixed that for you.

The majority of the $34.5 million is for constructing a locker room for the Pistons & making minor changes like creating an extra 2 rows of seating since NBA courts are smaller than NHL rinks.

I didn't think it was that expensive to build a locker room & that extra expense was probably the only thing that I didn't like about the move but regardless of where the Pistons play, that money wasn't going to go to schools. The city would've kept in that DDA budget & spent it on other development projects down the road.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#18 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:18 pm

Was just Downtown and man Detroit is really starting to look great and awesome lively atmosphere.

Had to check out LCA and wow does it look nice. They still have a decent chunk of work to do though. I would be shocked if its close to 100% by the season opener.
WC NBA Fan
Junior

Post#19 » by WC NBA Fan » Thu Sep 7, 2017 6:48 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Was just Downtown and man Detroit is really starting to look great and awesome lively atmosphere.

Had to check out LCA and wow does it look nice. They still have a decent chunk of work to do though. I would be shocked if its close to 100% by the season opener.

Absolutely. I couldn't think of a better spot to put the arena. Right off the freeway where downtown meets midtown and right next to a Q Line stop.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#20 » by MotownMadness » Thu Sep 7, 2017 7:29 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Was just Downtown and man Detroit is really starting to look great and awesome lively atmosphere.

Absolutely. I couldn't think of a better spot to put the arena. Right off the freeway where downtown meets midtown and right next to a Q Line stop.

Yeah I love how accessible it is right off the freeway though

Return to Detroit Pistons