ImageImageImage

Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: RE: Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#41 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:33 pm

Pharaoh wrote:I remember the jawing at Lebron...

That's the mentality we need in players.

Lots of posters trashed SJ for it!

Hey, pay me $2 million a year and I'll trash talk LBJ while he still scores on me, and brag about it after the loss!

Stop being an apologist for him. Every metric states that Stanley Johnson was one of the worst players in the entire NBA last season. Having a baseless opinion otherwise doesn't change what he's done on the floor.

At this point, my only hope is that he can be competent enough to be a rotation player in the NBA. Any belief he's going to be an above average player are simply delusions.
Bakuto
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,301

Post#42 » by Bakuto » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:36 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:

Hey, pay me $2 million a year and I'll trash talk LBJ while he still scores on me, and brag about it after the loss!

Stop being an apologist for him. Every metric states that Stanley Johnson was one of the worst players in the entire NBA last season. Having a baseless opinion otherwise doesn't change what he's done on the floor.

At this point, my only hope is that he can be competent enough to be a rotation player in the NBA. Any belief he's going to be an above average player are simply delusions.

Yeah because it's impossible for 21 year old's to improve, right?
Kobe System wrote:I won't touch Drummond's contract. I'd rather have Deng and Mozgov's contract tbh.

Collymore wrote:Jay Tatum is a better prospect than Lebron James was at his age.

:noway:
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#43 » by hoophabit » Mon Aug 7, 2017 3:37 pm

It's hard to give too much credence to OVO. Barring another move, it currently looks like the Pistons are committed to taking that look at SJ. They let KCP walk rather than pay his price. Said goodbye to Marcus getting a 2, drafted a 2, and signed a FA that can play the 2. SJ did not thrive at the 2, and will pretty much be a 3 this coming season and play significant minutes. If things stand as is with Marcus gone, you have to conclude the team has seen something that makes them think it is a reasonable course. I'm going to wander into the realm of 'the old man is droning on again.' SJ needs to study the games of guys like Mitch Richmond or Adrian Dantley. There are ways to use great strength with finesse.

It's perfectly reasonable to doubt him. To be fair: He had a decent rookie season, and face-planted last. This is a big year. SJ has some positives going for him. He's a physical presence, defends with a will, and readily shares the ball. Offense has ranged from streaky mediocre to bad. As a Pistons fan, I'm hoping he has become a little better shooter/scorer.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#44 » by mattao313 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 6:05 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Numbers are irrelevant dude.

As the 5th-8th option his points and percentage isn't as important as his overall play

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app

If you're a decent player your gonna put up decent numbers, not say they're everything but him putting up dreadful number like he has is a stark sign he is playing pretty bad.

A guy like Iguodala regularly puts up **** stats - doesn't mean he's a bad player.

There's a laundry list of guys that are more than numbers dude.

This ain't Fantasy basketball

The best teams I played on or coached had multiple guys that were truly unselfish, didn't care about their stats & their contributions to the "greater good" far exceeded every stat you could find!

Hummm Iguodala's stats are fine ti me so he has been shooting over 46% and 34% on 3 with a over a .55 ts over 3 years.

Stanley put up 35% and 29 from 3 with a .43 ts which is god awful.

If your playing well you will have decent stats thats all I'm saying putting up league worse shooting percentages is a problem.
Championships
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#45 » by Canadafan » Mon Aug 7, 2017 6:26 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:

Sheesh. What a negative Nancy ;)
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#46 » by hoophabit » Mon Aug 7, 2017 8:37 pm

Canadafan wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

Sheesh. What a negative Nancy ;)

Oh, let's not be too hard on the poor fellow. After last season it's easy to understand pessimism. It's just when you use terms like "delusions" it starts to stray into the dismissive. Delusions are generally associated with psychosis, and full disassociation with reality. It may be optimistic to hope that 21 year old in his third season might "get it," but is it actually delusional? Has this never occurred? I suppose it's part of why we watch? :wink:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#47 » by Manocad » Mon Aug 7, 2017 9:02 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Might be **** competition but at least he dominated

Like I said he can't win for trying!

Scored 10 & got a good run in? He's ****!

Scored 86? It's a **** comp!

The reality is that there is no upside in this situation. And it's completely fair to point that out.

The guy scored 46 points in a Drew league game last summer and we saw how that translated into the next NBA season.

Why should we suddenly be jumping out of our seats when another report comes out that he scored a bunch of points against inferior competition?

Those that are pointing out the gaudy numbers and expecting people to start singing his praises based on it are really expecting too much.

<pulls up my shield to fend off all the White Knight posters headed my way>

This a better upside than scoring 10 points against the same competition. To say that there is no upside in this situation is literally saying that playing these games will only make him worse. That makes no sense.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#48 » by Blkbrd671 » Mon Aug 7, 2017 11:22 pm

Bakuto wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

Yeah because it's impossible for 21 year old's to improve, right?

on the flip side after MCW rookie season everyone thought he was going to be the next big thing and ended up being a borderline d-leaguer.

Point is that making any sort of proclamations about a young player with 2 seasons is vastly premature. The only thing SJ is guilty of is not meeting our expectations, in reality he's a young player on a rookie contract that is still adjusting his game to the NBA, like the majority of other players his age.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#49 » by ImHeisenberg » Tue Aug 8, 2017 1:39 am

hoophabit wrote:
Oh, let's not be too hard on the poor fellow. After last season it's easy to understand pessimism. It's just when you use terms like "delusions" it starts to stray into the dismissive. Delusions are generally associated with psychosis, and full disassociation with reality. It may be optimistic to hope that 21 year old in his third season might "get it," but is it actually delusional? Has this never occurred? I suppose it's part of why we watch? :wink:

That depends on what your definition of "getting it" is defined. Can Johnson improve? Certainly, he was a better player as a rookie - for whatever the reason anyone wants to assign to it.

The posters who still think he has star potential are delusional. The idea possibility left town last December.

If he is going to continue to be impotent on offense, he better be a 6'6 Tony Allen - and even that might not be good enough to start in today's NBA with the heavy emphasis on pace and space.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#50 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 8, 2017 2:18 am

The negativity around here blows my mind!

Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,686

Post#51 » by Cowology » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:12 am

I still think he can be a poor mans Pierce. The question is how poor lol
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#52 » by Invictus88 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:33 am

Manocad wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Might be **** competition but at least he dominated

Like I said he can't win for trying!

Scored 10 & got a good run in? He's ****!

Scored 86? It's a **** comp!

The reality is that there is no upside in this situation. And it's completely fair to point that out.

The guy scored 46 points in a Drew league game last summer and we saw how that translated into the next NBA season.

Why should we suddenly be jumping out of our seats when another report comes out that he scored a bunch of points against inferior competition?

Those that are pointing out the gaudy numbers and expecting people to start singing his praises based on it are really expecting too much.

<pulls up my shield to fend off all the White Knight posters headed my way>

This a better upside than scoring 10 points against the same competition. To say that there is no upside in this situation is literally saying that playing these games will only make him worse. That makes no sense.

I was talking in terms of perception which is what others were complaining about. There's nothing for SJ to gain on that front regardless of outcome. (Doing bad against bad competition looks bad; Doing well against bad competition isn't impressive)

But it could also mean that playing these games doesn't have a lot of chance to make them better. I also think there's some merit to that viewpoint.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#53 » by Invictus88 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:42 am

Pharaoh wrote:The negativity around here blows my mind!

I think there's a tendency for some people to confuse lack of enthusiasm with negativity.

Just because I don't get excited by this news or the Andre video doesn't mean I have a negative viewpoint regarding them. I think both players still have the potential to bring a lot to the table. I also think they are going to have a better chance to show it this year given our upcoming roster makeup.

However, I prefer to base opinions on performances that actually matter -- especially for individuals who had gaudy summer numbers last offseason only to lay an egg when it counted.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#54 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:51 am

Invictus88 wrote:

I think there's a tendency for some people to confuse lack of enthusiasm with negativity.

Just because I don't get excited by this news or the Andre video doesn't mean I have a negative viewpoint regarding them. I think both players still have the potential to bring a lot to the table.

However, I prefer to base opinions on performances that actually matter -- especially for individuals who had gaudy summer numbers last offseason only to lay an egg when it counted.

I understand the lack of enthusiasm - I don't understand the need to crap on any positive signs

As I said at the start of the thread:

If SJ does nothing in any off-season game people say he's useless.

If he performs well then it's irrelevant

For me it's a positive sign he's only taken part in 2 meaningless games and instead has focused his energy on skill development

There has been nothing negative about his off-season - which he needed now that it looks like he's got a clear role and clear path to playing time

Am I a SJ defender? Absolutely! But at least this off-season gives me a reason to hope

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM Forums mobile app
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#55 » by Invictus88 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 3:58 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Just because I don't get excited by this news or the Andre video doesn't mean I have a negative viewpoint regarding them. I think both players still have the potential to bring a lot to the table.

I understand the lack of enthusiasm - I don't understand the need to crap on any positive signs

For me it's a positive sign he's only taken part in 2 meaningless games and instead has focused his energy on skill development

There has been nothing negative about his off-season - which he needed now that it looks like he's got a clear role and clear path to playing time

Am I a SJ defender? Absolutely! But at least this off-season gives me a reason to hope

I can't tell if this a response to my posts or not? Do you consider me to be one of those people? If so, what you are failing to understand that it's not irrelevant when he performs well. It's irrelevant when he performs well in the context of being against inferior competition.

This entire thread has been about the happenings in the OVO game. Comments have been centered on that happening alone. In isolation. If you somehow took lack of enthusiasm about that instance as displeasure with SJ overall then that's on you. Sorry.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#56 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:04 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

I can't tell if this a response to my posts or not? Do you consider me to be one of those people? If so, what you are failing to understand that it's not irrelevant when he performs well. It's irrelevant when he performs well in the context of being against inferior competition.

This entire thread has been about the happenings in the OVO game. Comments have been centered on that happening alone. In isolation. If you somehow took lack of enthusiasm about that instance as displeasure with SJ overall then that's on you. Sorry.

I'm not responding to the lack of enthusiasm about the OVO performance - it's the lack of enthusiasm in general about SJ

Invictus88
Analyst

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#57 » by Invictus88 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:07 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I understand the lack of enthusiasm - I don't understand the need to crap on any positive signs

I'm not responding to the lack of enthusiasm about the OVO performance - it's the lack of enthusiasm in general about SJ

Well... you're doing it in the context of a thread talking about his OVO performance (which in some people's opinion doesn't warrant a lot of enthusiasm)... You can see how this can be confusing to people right?
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#58 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:09 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

Well... you're doing it in the context of a thread talking about his OVO performance (which in some people's opinion doesn't warrant a lot of enthusiasm)... You can see how this can be confusing to people right?

No I don't lol

Maybe I give people too much credit...

Invictus88
Analyst

Post#59 » by Invictus88 » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:12 am

Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:I'm not responding to the lack of enthusiasm about the OVO performance - it's the lack of enthusiasm in general about SJ

No I don't lol

1. People comment about how the OVO performance doesn't mean a lot (nothing said about anything else about SJ)
2. You respond by quoting the post and talk about being upset that people are down on SJ
3. Then you claim that this isn't about lack of enthusiasm about the OVO performance.

I'm done. I can't really do anything more to explain it.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Stanley Johnson Drops 86 points at OVO 

Post#60 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 8, 2017 4:17 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

No I don't lol

1. People comment about how the OVO performance doesn't mean a lot
2. You respond quoting the post about being upset that people are down on SJ
3. Then you claim that this isn't about the OVO performance.

I'm done. I can't really do anything more to explain it.

Ummm threads evolve dude

It went from OVO to off-season work to playoffs vs Lebron...it's all encompassing about SJ

I quoted your "confusing lack of enthusiasm for negativity" post cause while I understand the whole "OVO means nothing" idea I don't understand being down on SJ based in his entire off-season!

We wanted him to spend time developing his skills & not play meaningless games! He's done that!

Yet people are still down on him!

What would constitute a good off-season for him to those down on SJ?

Return to Detroit Pistons