ImageImageImage

SVG determined to force teams to match Boban size

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

SVG determined to force teams to match Boban size 

Post#1 » by davidvolumes » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:25 pm

At last SVG . A team last year that was challenged to score and score efficiently and Boban was buried on the bench. According to the article SVG is determined at times to force teams to match Boban size strength to negate his scoring ability.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Re: SVG determined to force teams to match Boban size 

Post#2 » by DETermination » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:41 pm

6th man of the year
Detroit vs Everybody
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#3 » by Pharaoh » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:56 pm

Link?

If it's the article I remember SVG said Bobo is looking at 20 minutes a game...then he also states Jon will spend some time at C...also states SVG doesn't want to automatically sub Bobo out when teams go smaller

Seems SVG is speaking out of both sides of his mouth cause if Dre is getting 30-35 minutes Bobo can't play 20 every night while Jon also logs minutes at C

IF Bobo played 20 every night then Dre is down to 28 with no Jon at the 5 spot at all.

It simply doesn't work out so I'm taking it as fluff right now and will see how things play out
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#4 » by Kilo » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:14 am

I never understood this about Stan. Teams go small and run and sure Boban might have some trouble getting back, but as long as we can get a big body back or slow them into their half court offense some of the time we should come out ahead as no small ball center should be able to handle Boban defensively once he establishes position in the low post. That should be an automatic 2-points every time we go down the floor really. If worst thing we're doing is trading points while some of our starters are getting a breather than we're in good shape.

If Draymond wants to shoot a 12 footer over Boban more power to him because that shot goes in at a worse percentage than Boban's dunks will.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#5 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:47 am

The problem isn't that the small ball bigs will abuse Bobo though

The problem is our opponents will put Bobo in PnR situations where either:

Bobo gets switched onto a guard - they beat him off the bounce to the rim or get into the lane to collapse the perimeter D

Or

Bobo sags back into the lane to protect the paint - giving up open jumpers
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#6 » by whitehops » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:00 am

SVG said playing boban will have three steps:

1. stick with it (don't panic if their center hits a 3 or two)
2. make adjustments with boban on the court
3. take boban out and put leuer in

to be honest this situation is less than ideal but could be one of the most interesting things scheme-wise in the nba this season. i think there'll be very mixed results, where our bench/boban can crush weaker teams like brooklyn or new york but get exposed by teams like cleveland or golden state. hopefully the pistons don't have to abandon the "experiment" altogether.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#7 » by Billl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:02 am

There is nothing wrong with any backup position being matchup dependent.

Of course, I think it's highly unlikely that Boban averages 20 mpg. Despite the "he'll dominate on the inside" talk, he might shoot 60%. Now, 60% is really, really good. Unfortunately, he's turnover prone. So far in the NBA, he's turned the ball over 0.2 time per made basket - so basically giving up 0.4 of those 2 points. Add in the open 3's and fast breaks and you can see why he hasn't played much. A decent defensive team will pressure him and try to make him give the ball up or force a turnover. Will he have some nights where he has it rolling and gets more minutes? Hopefully. Will he have nights where he just can't handle the pace? Unfortunately.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#8 » by davidvolumes » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:40 am

Dont know how to share link. The article can be found at true blue pistons site.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#9 » by BDM22 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:37 am

Pharaoh wrote:Link?

If it's the article I remember SVG said Bobo is looking at 20 minutes a game...then he also states Jon will spend some time at C...also states SVG doesn't want to automatically sub Bobo out when teams go smaller

Seems SVG is speaking out of both sides of his mouth cause if Dre is getting 30-35 minutes Bobo can't play 20 every night while Jon also logs minutes at C

IF Bobo played 20 every night then Dre is down to 28 with no Jon at the 5 spot at all.

It simply doesn't work out so I'm taking it as fluff right now and will see how things play out

Clearly this means we're gonna start playing Dre at shooting guard.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#10 » by hoophabit » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:02 am

DBB had an article based on this as well, but the one from the Pistons site:
http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/svg-determined-give-boban-more-rope-and-make-teams-deal-his-size-scoring
I'm sure nothing is 'set in stone.'
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#11 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 pm

Pharaoh wrote:The problem isn't that the small ball bigs will abuse Bobo though

Bobo gets switched onto a guard - they beat him off the bounce to the rim or get into the lane to collapse the perimeter D

Or

Theoretically if we have a guy like Galloway or Bradley guarding the ball-carrier, they can just go under the screen and let Boban get back.

I realize it only works with those two guys, really, but..
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#12 » by Billl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:41 pm

Timmaytime wrote:

Or

Theoretically if we have a guy like Galloway or Bradley guarding the ball-carrier, they can just go under the screen and let Boban get back.

Maybe in 1985. In 2017, guys just take the open 3 if you consistently go under screens.
Timmaytime
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,717

Post#13 » by Timmaytime » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:01 pm

Billl wrote:
Timmaytime wrote:

Or

Maybe in 1985. In 2017, guys just take the open 3 if you consistently go under screens.

or over them

basically depending on the defensive abilities of the guard, it won't be an issue. But that is a huge but
ComboGuardCity wrote:If Bellinelli drops 50 and we lose I’ll eat my dog
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by Billl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:03 pm

It depends on the defensive abilities of everyone in the play and their discipline to follow a game plan. You can't hide guys on a pick and roll in the NBA in 2017. It's just as important for the big to be able to guard as it is the small.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:04 pm

Assuming you play Bobo with defensive guards:

Opponents would run PnPs and punish Bobo that way.

A small ball 5 should be able to hit long jumpers and/or take Bobo off the bounce

Bobo is a defensive liability and any decent coach should be able to expose him quickly
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#16 » by mercury » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:28 pm

I have no problem playing out the Boban matchups to see which team takes advantage... As long as it remains fluid with no stubborn sink or swim meantality.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#17 » by whitehops » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:25 pm

the warriors have one of the more complex switching schemes in the league but it allows draymond green to stay near the basket as much as possible. he obviously has the ability to defend the perimeter but he is really their only rim protector (KD is solid too) and playing inside allows him to be a sort of safety where he can see the entire court, communicate what he sees and help where necessary.

i imagine we'd have a similar sort of approach where players cutting inside are passed off to boban, allowing him to stay in the paint the entire time. i'm just not sure boban has the instincts that draymond has to pull off those sorts of switches.

here's an article that outlines some of the switching the warriors do: http://pickandpop.net/2017/05/golden-states-switching-defense-concepts/
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by Billl » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:51 pm

Well, Draymond can play D both inside and out. He also has the speed to hedge and recover. He also isn't every really at a major mismatch on whoever he happens to switch off on. None of that is true for Boban. Switching him onto small players just creates even bigger mismatches.

Return to Detroit Pistons