ImageImageImage

OT: Bitcoin and Alt Coin Discussion and Questions

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Re: OT: How to Earn Bitcoin 

Post#301 » by Manocad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Canadafan wrote:I gotta admit, this thread is highly entertaining to me. Mano and Blkbrd....remind me to never try to argue with either of you! Lol. You guys are legends with your back and forth. Maybe you missed out and shoulda been lawyers :wink:
I think in the spirit of xmas this little debate should be revisited in a years time. Maybe its the Canadian me but can't we all just get alonggggg :D

It’s a shame that the discussion couldn’t have been conducted in a more mature manner. Throwing out criticisms and insults because someone provides evidence used to dispute a statement made as fact denotes immaturity and insecurity. Those are two traits that you absolutely don’t want to have if you wish to have productive dialogue on a subjective topic. The old saying is that you argue with facts, not emotion. Ad hominem attacks are a perfect example of disregarding that principle.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM

Post#302 » by Manocad » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Oddly enough, our resident bitcoin expert decries a six figure income as middle class and destined for failure. Take a wild stab at the lowest annual income that will qualify you as the richest 1% in the US...

About $550,000.

How many digits is that?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#303 » by Blkbrd671 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:44 pm

Canadafan wrote:I gotta admit, this thread is highly entertaining to me. Mano and Blkbrd....remind me to never try to argue with either of you! Lol. You guys are legends with your back and forth. Maybe you missed out and shoulda been lawyers :wink:
I think in the spirit of xmas this little debate should be revisited in a years time. Maybe its the Canadian me but can't we all just get alonggggg :D

:lol: :lol:

I am glad i am not repeating myself for nothing. At least Your getting some shitz and gigs

I am honestly looking forward to this coming year
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Post#304 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:05 am

so is Bitcoin really a currency or something different? It seems too volatile right now to really be used in that manner.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#305 » by Billl » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:06 am

For anyone who missed it, coinbase issued a warning about being able to get out quickly "Access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume,"

So, if the markets are crashing and you want to sell.... watch out. 3 major exchange operators got hit with denial of service attacks today.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#306 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:17 am

Billl wrote:For anyone who missed it, coinbase issued a warning about being able to get out quickly "Access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume,"

So, if the markets are crashing and you want to sell.... watch out. 3 major exchange operators got hit with denial of service attacks today.

That is not the attitude of someone who is destined to become a 1%-er while leaving all others in his wake, laughing and tossing Ritz crackers to the pathetic and starving masses of non-1%-ers.

Manocad
RealGM

Post#307 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:38 am

Billl wrote:All you need is a lobotomy and you can "invest" in bitcoin.

I had to quote this just for the sake of humor when reading through the thread from the beginning.

It made me think of Judd Nelson as John Bender in “The Breakfast Club” criticizing Emilio Estevez for being a wrestler...”I want to be just like you. I figure all I need is a lobotomy and a pair of tights.”

Manocad
RealGM

OT: How to Earn Bitcoin 

Post#308 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:41 am

Please keep this thread going.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#309 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:05 am

Billl wrote:For anyone who missed it, coinbase issued a warning about being able to get out quickly "Access to Coinbase services may become degraded or unavailable during times of significant volatility or volume,"

that is for those trading daily, exchanges are still allowing stop losses to be set, to protect your investment. Ironically if your crypto is 24/7 on a exchange , that in itself is not safe. Its always recommended to keep all your crypto offline in a hardware wallet.

Also this issue happens every single time BTC rallies and its part of the "scaling" problem of BTC. I believe LTC and VTC should be able to provide alternative solutions via Atomic swaps that will dramatically reduce the lead time on transactions and a fraction of the cost.
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#310 » by mercury » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:15 am

So coinbase was suggesting customers to "get out quickly"?... man I must have missed that during the several times I was on their site to day... the "may be degraded" message occasionally comes up when there is extreme volume... when that happens I'll sometimes notice a slight delay or slower speeds... while you're cherry picking any bits of negative information you can find could you please let us know the next time a bank or major retailer has their customer personal information hacked due to lack of a decentralized solution... thanks
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#311 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:17 am

Moses ShamMoses wrote:so is Bitcoin really a currency or something different? It seems too volatile right now to really be used in that manner.

its a currency and security at the same time, in that you can spend it anytime you want either through a retailer that accepts btc or like any currency , exchange it for USD . I would venture to guess that this coming year that BTC's volatility is going to be all over the place with institutional money pouring in and out so you won't have many ppl utilizing it as currency yet but rather long term investment. I do know ppl that are spending their btc, and imo i think they'll regret it. They also have a sh* load more coins than i do, so i can't really relate either.

BTC is getting more popular by the day,so much so that Financial Institutions are recognizing it as a threat where as before they were calling it a scam. Normally that means that these "Financial Institutions" are going to use their legislative influence to try to reign in crypto. While all this is happening your also having more and more of the fiat market shifting over to the crypto or having access to it through fiat exchanges.

While this may worry some investors, its more a NECESSARY STEP that crytpo has to go through in order for it to continue its journey towards mass adoption. I would venture to guess that after 2018 we'll have a better idea of where Crypto is heading.

The eventual vision is that BTC will represent your wealth and in order to spend that wealth you would utilize other crypto coins that you can exchange directly to and from BTC without the need of a 3rd party exchange like Coinbase or Bittrex. Reason why many believe this will happen is because its safer , cheaper, and quicker to conduct transactions through blockchain, essentially being able to save companies and consumers a sh* ton on overhead
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#312 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:18 am

mercury wrote:So coinbase was suggesting customers to "get out quickly"?... man I must have missed that during the several times I was on their site to day... the "may be degraded" message occasionally comes up when there is extreme volume... when that happens I'll sometimes notice a slight delay or slower speeds... while you're cherry picking any bits of negative information you can find could you please let us know the next time a bank or major retailer has their customer personal information hacked due to lack of a decentralized solution... thanks

my stop losses on Bittrex are working GREAT!!!! LOL
Manocad
RealGM

Post#313 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 am

mercury wrote:So coinbase was suggesting customers to "get out quickly"?... man I must have missed that during the several times I was on their site to day... the "may be degraded" message occasionally comes up when there is extreme volume... when that happens I'll sometimes notice a slight delay or slower speeds... while you're cherry picking any bits of negative information you can find could you please let us know the next time a bank or major retailer has their customer personal information hacked due to lack of a decentralized solution... thanks

Question for you...why do you still need to increase your income at 60? Aren’t you supposed to have been long since retired by now given how astute an investor you are?

Manocad
RealGM

Post#314 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:25 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:

my stop losses on Bittrex are working GREAT!!!! LOL

So when will you retire as a millionaire?

mercury
Head Coach

Post#315 » by mercury » Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:35 am

Manocad wrote:

Question for you...why do you still need to increase your income at 60? Aren’t you supposed to have been long since retired by now given how astute an investor you are?

I had no special financial skilIs in my younger years... hope to retire within the next two years comfortably... thanks for asking.... If you retire sooner than 60 I'll assume you played the game well... any other snide comments?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#316 » by Manocad » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:29 am

mercury wrote:
Manocad wrote:

I had no special financial skilIs in my younger years... hope to retire within the next two years comfortably... thanks for asking.... If you retire sooner than 60 I'll assume you played the game well... any other snide comments?

Just figured I'd ask since I got s**t all over for being destined to failure due to retiring at 57 at something less than a 1%-er.

Tell you what though...if you're up for any more $1000 bets I'm the guy you need to hit up. I've got the "hones," as you called them.
mercury
Head Coach

Post#317 » by mercury » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:35 am

CelticsLV wrote:
mercury wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
Only problem is that you listen and absorb only what you want to hear. You're probably talking about that LN? There's already huge division in true bitcoin community (you know, the ones who actually try to use it and not only speculate on exchanges). Tell me how your next big thing Segwitx2 turned out? Yeah, postponed indefinitely because it did exactly what i said. Bitcoin community can't decide itself what it wants resulting in forks like Bitcoin Cash.
And LN brings a lot of other issues. Those are complex new layers which will probably be full with bugs that will take years to fix and there's no telling if it even gonna work in real life and if people even gonna use it. LN brings another potential issue which goes against the original idea - fears of centralizations and control. Let me guess, it is already dividing bitcoin community? The only ones who are usually boasting about this stuff are clueless speculators like you.

Segwit 2?... that's humorous considering it was a fork initiated by millionaires and miners trying to centralize a decentralized solution... it didn't work. LN has already been proofed... I can understand why that would bother you and your banker friends

Proofed how? Tested in isolated test cases? :lol: How about running succefully on mainnet without failed transactions? How about making it convenient? So far it's only good for true enthusiasts. Not to mention that it has no way of reversing payments. Somebody *** up his payment and it's over, you lose your money.

https://news.bitcoin.com/lightning-network-centralization-leads-economic-censorship/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoincash/comments/7ixumj/lightning_network_will_likely_fail_due_to_several/

Your LN is far from being real working solution to bitcoins scaling and enormous fee problems.

This guy actually has very balanced opinion and isn't living in a bubble. He acknowledges both sides. You remind me of delusional idiots over there at r/bitcoin. You can't find almost anything constructive there. It's full with memes and delusions - definition of your average crypto investor.

This guy had a couple of decent points in regards to the current utilty in terms of transaction speed and cost (the whole reason for segwit & LN). He also had several contradictions… he love’s LN… he says bitcoin is a bubble while promoting btc contributions and continuing to invest in it. “It could drop to $3,000 but wouldn’t be surprised to see 40K within a month” (way to make a stand :^)
He's looking from a static window assuming there will be no advancement or big players entering the market… Most big retail services are waiting for the scalability solution. To quote Scott Cutler, senior vice president of eBay America “we’re seriously considering accepting bitcoin, but “we’re not quite there yet.”

I think what most detractors don’t understand are the tangible benefits today and in the near future that address real world issues… I’ll touch on a handful.
It’s an international currency without limitations for fiat exchange. The rates are far less than bank wires.
This is a 24/7 service without waiting days for banks to clear.
The system uses mass confirmation for audit trails vs a single hackable database. This greatly reduces fraud and security issues.
It provides commerce opportunities to the 2 billion “unbanked” people
The Lighting network will provide instant off chain transactions with fees less than credit cards
Eliminates counterfeit money
Blockchain contracts (legal forms, real estate etc) can save volumes in administrative time & cost.
The benefit list is long…. There is a large talented development team… because it’s open source anyone with skills can contribute to the code.
To address where they are in testing LN… they recently passed live cross chain transactions between bitcoin & litecoin… they have opened up the app for anyone that wants to test before the live beta…. Without having inside information I can only repeat what they are saying “very close to implementation”… at least we know real solutions are coming… the code is out there for everyone to see.
If you’re interested in the real threats that would be FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) paid for by financial institutes that stand to lose… as well as their loobying influence for unfair regulations. I would expect to see an increase in “bitcoin will collapse soon” commentary by their shills. There is a site that records everytime it has been announced that bitcoin is dead… the last I check it was apprx. 200 times.
Most people are expecting a short term price correction with CME futures this upcoming week where the institutional investors can do their version of pump and dump... maybe as much as 30%... if it happens they’ll all be saying “see bubble, bubble! … and the masses will be salivating at the opportunity to buy into the dip as always.
Bitcoin has been around for about 9 years… It has a 100% rate of recovery with price improvement so far…. With massive attacks all along the way it’s the honey badger of currency.
If anyone is interested in learning more without uninformed attacks we’d be glad to share… if it’s not for you… cool.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#318 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:52 am

mercury wrote:
CelticsLV wrote:
mercury wrote:Segwit 2?... that's humorous considering it was a fork initiated by millionaires and miners trying to centralize a decentralized solution... it didn't work. LN has already been proofed... I can understand why that would bother you and your banker friends

Proofed how? Tested in isolated test cases? :lol: How about running succefully on mainnet without failed transactions? How about making it convenient? So far it's only good for true enthusiasts. Not to mention that it has no way of reversing payments. Somebody *** up his payment and it's over, you lose your money.

https://news.bitcoin.com/lightning-network-centralization-leads-economic-censorship/
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoincash/comments/7ixumj/lightning_network_will_likely_fail_due_to_several/

Your LN is far from being real working solution to bitcoins scaling and enormous fee problems.

This guy actually has very balanced opinion and isn't living in a bubble. He acknowledges both sides. You remind me of delusional idiots over there at r/bitcoin. You can't find almost anything constructive there. It's full with memes and delusions - definition of your average crypto investor.

This guy had a couple of decent points in regards to the current utilty in terms of transaction speed and cost (the whole reason for segwit & LN). He also had several contradictions… he love’s LN… he says bitcoin is a bubble while promoting btc contributions and continuing to invest in it. “It could drop to $3,000 but wouldn’t be surprised to see 40K within a month” (way to make a stand :^)
He's looking from a static window assuming there will be no advancement or big players entering the market… Most big retail services are waiting for the scalability solution. To quote Scott Cutler, senior vice president of eBay America “we’re seriously considering accepting bitcoin, but “we’re not quite there yet.”

I think what most detractors don’t understand are the tangible benefits today and in the near future that address real world issues… I’ll touch on a handful.
It’s an international currency without limitations for fiat exchange. The rates are far less than bank wires.
This is a 24/7 service without waiting days for banks to clear.
The system uses mass confirmation for audit trails vs a single hackable database. This greatly reduces fraud and security issues.
It provides commerce opportunities to the 2 billion “unbanked” people
The Lighting network will provide instant off chain transactions with fees less than credit cards
Eliminates counterfeit money
Blockchain contracts (legal forms, real estate etc) can save volumes in administrative time & cost.
The benefit list is long…. There is a large talented development team… because it’s open source anyone with skills can contribute to the code.
To address where they are in testing LN… they recently passed live cross chain transactions between bitcoin & litecoin… they have opened up the app for anyone that wants to test before the live beta…. Without having inside information I can only repeat what they are saying “very close to implementation”… at least we know real solutions are coming… the code is out there for everyone to see.
If you’re interested in the real threats that would be FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) paid for by financial institutes that stand to lose… as well as their loobying influence for unfair regulations. I would expect to see an increase in “bitcoin will collapse soon” commentary by their shills. There is a site that records everytime it has been announced that bitcoin is dead… the last I check it was apprx. 200 times.
Most people are expecting a short term price correction with CME futures this upcoming week where the institutional investors can do their version of pump and dump... maybe as much as 30%... if it happens they’ll all be saying “see bubble, bubble! … and the masses will be salivating at the opportunity to buy into the dip as always.
Bitcoin has been around for about 9 years… It has a 100% rate of recovery with price improvement so far…. With massive attacks all along the way it’s the honey badger of currency.
If anyone is interested in learning more without uninformed attacks we’d be glad to share… if it’s not for you… cool.

the question becomes is this recent price movement major institutional money pouring in or private investors seeing movement and FOMO hitting. I believe the futures is actually going to slowly push the price towards 25-30K and then we'll start seeing a dump. My fear is that we'll see huge gains up to $60K too quickly, market panics 30% drop causing a reversal in trend.

Alt coin market hasn't suffered really considering, meaning there is more fiat money in the market with potential to hop on the Alt Coins.........................:droop:

Please pump the Alt coins. lol

Expected big price movements

DGB
LTC
ETHER
VTC
PTOY
NEO
MCO
XRP
MAID
ADA

All the TA looks really good in that majority of them have hit major levels of support near the bottom of the initial price. LTC, XRP & MCO have all broken out and have begun their 1st waves.
mercury
Head Coach

Post#319 » by mercury » Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:58 am

Manocad wrote:
mercury wrote:
Manocad wrote:Question for you...why do you still need to increase your income at 60? Aren’t you supposed to have been long since retired by now given how astute an investor you are?

Just figured I'd ask since I got s**t all over for being destined to failure due to retiring at 57 at something less than a 1%-er.

Tell you what though...if you're up for any more $1000 bets I'm the guy you need to hit up. I've got the "hones," as you called them.

Sounds good... the wager was that the price of BTC would be less than 16,899 on this day next year.
If you don't mind floating 1000K with an arbitrator for a year I'll be glad to take your money... er have this gentleman's wager.
Sleep on it and if you're still interested tomorrow we can research a service we can both agree on.
Blkbrd671
RealGM

Post#320 » by Blkbrd671 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:01 am

mercury wrote:
Manocad wrote:
mercury wrote:I had no special financial skilIs in my younger years... hope to retire within the next two years comfortably... thanks for asking.... If you retire sooner than 60 I'll assume you played the game well... any other snide comments?

Sounds good... the wager was that the price of BTC would be less than 16,899 on this day next year.
If you don't mind floating 1000K with an arbitrator for a year I'll be glad to take your money... er have this gentleman's wager.
Sleep on it and if you're still interested tomorrow we can research a service we can both agree on.

potential crypto idea , make wagers on a P2P basis and take middle man fee's out....................................................

Return to Detroit Pistons