ImageImageImage

Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond 

Post#21 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Sep 24, 2017 5:24 pm

Snakebites wrote:I think SVG is out if this season starts badly.

I really hope so.

Then again, whomever comes in next will probably be immediately placed under the onus that he needs to get the team back into the playoffs ASAP, and continue to make short sighted moves that ultimately ruin the team's short and long term outlook.
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Re: RE: Re: Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond 

Post#22 » by Pharaoh » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:10 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:

I really hope so.

Then again, whomever comes in next will probably be immediately placed under the onus that he needs to get the team back into the playoffs ASAP, and continue to make short sighted moves that ultimately ruin the team's short and long term outlook.

I don't think SVG has made moves that ruined our long term outlook.

He maxed Dre after he was a All Star and 3rd team All NBA - which is understandable

He acquired RJ on a expiring deal for peanuts - a guy who had performed for OKC until the **** hit the fan.

He acquired Tobias on a team friendly declining deal.

Also acquired Mook for nothing when the only SF on the roster was a 19 year old rookie who's Mom had just died!

The short sighted "win now" moves were Ish, Jon & Bobo. Cap space we had to use because it was going to vanish once Dre signed.

IF we land Horford no one complains...but such is life.

In hindsight we can all say SVG should not have maxed Dre or traded for RJ or whatever but all those moves added up to the first playoff appearance in forever.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,777

Post#23 » by Snakebites » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:16 am

Pharaoh wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

I really hope so.

He maxed Dre after he was a All Star and 3rd team All NBA - which is understandable

He acquired RJ on a expiring deal for peanuts - a guy who had performed for OKC until the **** hit the fan.

Also acquired Mook for nothing when the only SF on the roster was a 19 year old rookie who's Mom had just died!

The short sighted "win now" moves were Ish, Jon & Bobo. Cap space we had to use because it was going to vanish once Dre signed.

In hindsight we can all say SVG should not have maxed Dre or traded for RJ or whatever but all those moves added up to the first playoff appearance in forever.

Biggest issue with SVG is his repeated insistence on overpaying replacement level players.

Meeks was the first and least offensive, but Leuer, Galloway, Boban etc have also been lousy moves. I also really hate his tendency to give three year contracts to guys who play the same position as people he just drafted. He undercuts our first rounders right after drafting them and it's so frustrating!
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#24 » by Billl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 1:38 pm

If SVG the coach would just play some of the young guys low end rotation minutes, he would save SVG the GM from his tendency to overpay end of the rotation guys. Getting 10 mpg production out of 1st rounders is just something good coaches learn to do.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#25 » by Kilo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 pm

If Reggie Jackson wasn't hurt all last season would we be having this discussion? He didn't just suck, he was injured, missed a ton of games and when he played was noticeably hobbled. Given our Reggie/Dre centric offense, once Reggie was lost our whole system went to pot.

Leuer ran out of gas last season. He wasn't ready to play the minutes Stan was force feeding him. He looked damn good the first half of the season.

Galloway signing is to make sure we don't have Ish-Beno PG situation again. Reggie's issue is chronic and unfortunately his knee can never be counted on or trusted so we need a solid Plan B Starter option. Kennard is a rookie and Stan doesn't trust them. Langston was also signed as KCP insane offersheet protection If Avery Johnson resigns here long term and Kennard looks like a rotation player as soon as next season than we could always move Ish Smith and his remaining year and slide Galloway PG back-up.

Boban was a crud signing. Stan outsmarted himself here.

It's media day - Koolaid is nice and cold.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#26 » by Billl » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:01 pm

"If Reggie Jackson wasn't hurt all last season would we be having this discussion? "

Well, the "Don't overpay scrubs" conversation started well before last year, so yeah, that would still be going on. Especially since SVG keeps giving out these multi-year contracts. Anyway, borderline playoff teams shouldn't be signing insurance policies. If we are unfortunate enough to be hit with a string of injuries, we'd be better off just letting the tank unfold than riding vets to a 12th pick. I'm not in favor of intentionally tanking, but last year was the worst of both worlds.

The "Trade Dre" conversation certainly would be going on too. If his defense doesn't improve dramatically, he can't be a championship level building block. There is still room in the NBA for centers who dominate the paint, but defense has to come first for that type of guy. We'll see. He and svg has talked it up in the offseason. Hopefully he's committed to it when it counts. If our wings are out there pressuring and Dre has their backs, we would be a different team.
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#27 » by theBigLip » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

I really hope so.

Great post and you saved me a lot of typing :-)
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,763

Post#28 » by theBigLip » Mon Sep 25, 2017 6:29 pm

Let's rewind to a year and a half ago - SVG's team that he put together with a lot of shrewd moves got the Pistons into the playoffs for the first time in a zillion years. And we played the Cavs tough. That was serious progress for this organization.

So if RJ was healthy last year, who knows how far we would have gone. And is he healthy now? I have no idea, and maybe RJ doesn't either until he starts the regular season. But I'm willing to give this lineup a run as is. If we are under 500 and looking like we will miss the playoffs, then sure, let's blow it up. Bradley could be a huge trade chip, and RJ and Dre's contracts are a half season shorter, so they become more tradeable. So this thread isn't unneccesary, just 6 months early IMHO.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,777

Post#29 » by Collymore » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:34 pm

I'm fine with getting Chuckson and Bummond out of Detroit but the return would be nothing to celebrate. They are at their all time low value right now so why not give them a couple of months of games and see if their value increase? We are not making any noise this season anyway, with or without a trade.
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#30 » by The Penguin » Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:58 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
ImHeisenberg wrote:

I really hope so.

Bingo.

It takes a tremendous amount of luck, as well as shrewd moves to build a contending roster. Stan had everything set up very well considering what he inherited, we were in position for a 1 time big swing, we took it on Horford and we missed, there were holes that need to be filled, a limited window with cap space and the rest of the league was spending like crazy.

I think it's interesting how everyone is praising Ainge for the Celtics rebuild, but IT and Horford were two of Stan's major targets and we were bridesmaids on both. Things could be VERY different had the wind shifted just a bit. The signings people complain about (Meeks, Leuer) do feel like the master of panic being left holding the bag. Galloway is the one I simply can't explain, people have disagreed with me (some vehemently) but the only logical explanation I can think is Stan had moved on from KCP when FA started, the plan for replacing him was Galloway / Kennard at the 2, then Bradley popped open it was too good to decline.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#31 » by hoophabit » Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:21 pm

I'm sure no one is untouchable, unless by some rule. Contending takes a little chemistry magic, and so the roster can't stand still when you have none. Galloway doesn't seem inexplicable to me. The average NBA salary is slightly over 6 mil, so 7 isn't some giant overpay for a guy who has proven to be a pretty reliable role player. Yeah, I agree that Bradley's availability was not easily anticipated.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#32 » by Manocad » Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:Nowhere.

If they play well, we keep them. And if they play like cah-cah, we're stuck with them.

If they play well I'd definitely be open to trading them to kick start a rebuild, honestly.

Bingo.

Here's the deal with this team...if EVERY SINGLE PLAYER matched the best season they've ever played SO FAR, it's still not a championship team.

Point being, if Reggie and Dre can blow up again, thus making their contracts movable, move them.

Sent from my VS501 using RealGM mobile app
HoopsMalone
Veteran
And1: 1,548

Post#33 » by HoopsMalone » Sun Oct 1, 2017 6:48 am

Kilo wrote:If both play well we're a play-off team in the East, and that means playoff gate money.

You only get playoff gate money if you at least force a game 6. Can't see the pistons doing that. I do think they have a shot at the 8 seed though

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#34 » by El Chivo » Sun Oct 1, 2017 7:16 am

Pharaoh wrote:

If we land Horford we are still irrelevant. And a >30yo Horford paid >25 mln to play pf in a 45w team doesn't look that pretty.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond 

Post#35 » by Pharaoh » Sun Oct 1, 2017 10:26 am

El Chivo wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

If we land Horford we are still irrelevant. And a >30yo Horford paid >25 mln to play pf in a 45w team doesn't look that pretty.

WTF?

Even with current Dre & RJ we'd be a much different team with Horford
30 years old ain't old dude

But whatever. You're one of the leaders on the negative bandwagon
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond 

Post#36 » by El Chivo » Sun Oct 1, 2017 12:12 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
El Chivo wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

WTF?

I'm pretty sure Pistons' season is going to be good, so I'm not negative. Horford or less, this team is not competing, though.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
russkopp
Analyst
And1: 1,043

Post#37 » by russkopp » Sun Oct 1, 2017 1:11 pm

As some other posters have mentioned, this questions has no true answer. If they play well SVG won't trade them. If they play poorly SVG can't trade them for value or will have to give them away for peanuts and we'll start a rebuild.

We are stuck. This is our team.
Fire Troy Weaver
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,601

Post#38 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Oct 1, 2017 1:52 pm

SVG does play rookies. He did in Orlando as he started Courtney Lee in the NBA Finals when he was a rookie. But, if the rookie doesn't earn the spot, naturally, they shouldn't play. I think Kennard will earn minutes because he looks thus far like a rookie that can play 15-20mpg. Not sure if he will get them with the log jam here tho.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#39 » by hoophabit » Sun Oct 1, 2017 4:39 pm

russkopp wrote:As some other posters have mentioned, this questions has no true answer. If they play well SVG won't trade them. If they play poorly SVG can't trade them for value or will have to give them away for peanuts and we'll start a rebuild.

We are stuck. This is our team.

On the same board where people were having a hissy over "trading both KCP and Morris" for Avery Bradley? A team that will have two new starters?
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Realistic Trade Destinations for Reggie and Drummond 

Post#40 » by Pharaoh » Mon Oct 2, 2017 12:09 am

El Chivo wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
El Chivo wrote:

WTF?

I'm pretty sure Pistons' season is going to be good, so I'm not negative. Horford or less, this team is not competing, though.

Not competing for a title - obviously!

Not competing for the playoffs? That's being negative.

These discussions go round and round and it's all been said before

Return to Detroit Pistons