ImageImageImage

Pistons @ Bucks 8:30 PM (Preseason Game 5)

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DTP
General Manager
And1: 6,765

Re: Pistons @ Bucks 8:30 PM (Preseason Game 5) 

Post#101 » by DTP » Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Kilo wrote:Leuer is untradeable. 3yrs left and 30M, we'd have to include a first rounder for each year remaining in a pure dump trade.

I guess we could maybe bundle him and Boban for Deng maybe. LAL might be open to that because they get two smaller bad deals for one big bad deal.

We then rock Tobias full time at the four making it Harris/Ellenson/Tolliver and have Johnson/Deng/Bullock at the three. We'd need to add another center as we'd be trading both our back-ups away - Milwaukee just cut Joel Anthony. Maybe rock Drummond/Anthony/Moreland at the 5-spot?

LA isn't taking on two bad contracts - they'd rather package a young asset with Deng to get the cash completely off the books and there's enough teams out there with money to make it realistic. They'll just be patient and determine what asset they want to move....most likely its Randle.

Although I'm not as much of a Galloway hater than most (but to be fair, I really havent paid attention to the team yet), I just wonder who were we competing with to justify giving him as much as we did? Decent signing if its for $2-3M but he got double that. Orlando got Jonathan Simmons for that basically....feel like he would've been a much better fit here. A lineup of Jackson Bradley Simmons Harris Drummond would actually be competitive. Even Arran Afflalo would've been a better pickup. Just once again, nothing about this roster excites me. Besides my boy Harris, I hope he gets buckets this year.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#102 » by Finn McCool » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:40 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:With regards to Leuer, it's not so much that he was the main reason we lost today or anything but rather observing him over the preseason and much of last season. That applies to a few of responses about other players too. The value of the preseason is seeing how guys play individually and with certain other players on the floor, not actual wins or losses. I'm fed up with Leuer because he went from a 40% shooter before he came here to 26% last season to a complete non-shooter now. I can't remember the last time the guy even attempted a 3 pointer. His midrange jumper is decent but that's about it. He has completely sucked on defense, especially at center. There is no point in having him at center if he can't spread the floor to the 3 point line. Boban has his flaws but he has a far bigger impact than Leuer. His at least a reliable post scorer, can be a match up nightmare, can rebound well, and can even be a good defensive presence when he isn't forced to move laterally. I'm done with this Leuer at center experiment before it has even begun. Boban won that spot easily imo.

I understand that you are fed up with Leuer. He did underwhelm last season. A few preseason games of watching him seemed to open older wounds.

Not that I am trying to control the perceived hysteria, but perhaps there should be a lot more ire directed at Van Gundy. These moves are of his own action.

I agree that Leuer is only an emergency Center at best. I believe Van Gundy is trying everything to disguise this addition as a failure, or even lesser as foolhardy.

If I was to help with the Leuer truncating, I'd support a notion that he no longer wants to be in Detroit, with the Pistons, and being coached by a short, fat, overrated coach.

As I admitted previously, I am not a big Ellenson supporter... but I would prefer both Tolliver and Leuer be higher on the depth chart. And unfortunately for some of the fans, they just might have to watch SVG continue with his shenanigans regarding the stockpile of PFs.

I'll go out on a limb and predict this will be the last year of SVG in Detroit.

In the movie 'The Replacements' Gene Hackman's character Coach McGinty, makes a reference to being like a duck on the pond. Things seem so calm on the surface, but those duck feet are moving like crazy. I think the same with Van Gundy. I wouldn't be shocked if he was on several medications for blood pressure and anxiety.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#103 » by mattao313 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:56 pm

Kilo wrote:Leuer is untradeable. 3yrs left and 30M, we'd have to include a first rounder for each year remaining in a pure dump trade.

This isn't even close to true.
Championships
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#104 » by Finn McCool » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:41 pm

vege wrote:Leuer is not showing any effort, his body language is terrible, a lot of things don`t show on box score, for example, when someone throw a bad pass at him, he won`t even try to get the ball, it will just be someone else`s turnover and then he will give the guy a look and the shoulder and walk to the defense and not guard anyone. Add the fact that his shooting has been atrocious and we pay him 10+ million per season and yeah, he is one of the reasons why we are this bad.

Then you add the fact that we pay Galloway 7 million a season and he is pretty bad at the point and his shot selection is terrible and the fact that we have absolutely no SF on the roster (only Stanley and he is very limited), and so we`re forced to play a lot of 3 guards rotation with a 6`3 Bradley guarding other team`s SF and you got another part of the reason of why we are so bad.

Henry did not play well, he is a HUGE liability on defense, even when he is shooting well and scoring well, he is completely lost on defense, people who praise him are just hating on Leuer and hoping some day our 2nd year player figure things out. He is very gifted offensivelly so that`s probably why people praise him even when he is bad. He has never looked better than Leuer. Tolliver is not good at all and he is BY FAR our best option after Tobias at the PF. The other 2 guys shouldn`t be getting any playing time.

Reggie`s problem is not only his poor shooting, he stops the ball and create absolutely nothing, our guys poor shooting is most of the time Reggie`s fault, he will hug the ball and give it to someone else, who is not in a good position with 5 seconds left on the clock, and that guy will have to do something, usually take a bad contested shot. He is hurting our team badly, I would compare him to Josh Smith at this point. I`m pretty sure if we bench him and play Beno instead (not galloway) we would get a lot more wins and production from other players.

But then again, this is just pre-season, so this could be all wrong :lol:

I like the way you think and post.
In the nicest way, I do understand and submit to the idea that box scores do not convey the whole story. While I mentioned the box score it was mostly to admit that I didn't have a bird's eye view. I also used the box score comment to help with regards to my opinions on other players and to inquire to those who did watch.

I believe one of two things will happen; either Leuer will have a season where he rebounds and makes amends for last year... or he will ask for a trade while exhibiting a lack of dedication.

One thing I feel about this franchise, and maybe I'm just inventing this theory... but it seems that this group of Stan's, comes off as if they are less than welcoming toward new additions. I felt strongly about that with Reggie, Andre and Morris last year. It almost seems that no player is confident enough in his own ability. Lots of insecurities. Just my $.02.

As I have stated several times before, I am finding it hard to support Ellenson. The good thing is, I don't dislike the guy, as I do some others. I just think there are too many negatives in his game. To make a long story short - I don't think there is a lot of separation between the 3 PFs not named Harris. One has to wonder whether commitment to playing time might be based on SVG's refusal to accept that any given player was a mistake. On that note salary may trump youth - even with Galloway over Kennard.

Reggie is a burr in my saddle. My most disliked player on this team since Stackhouse. I have an issue with underwhelming, 'me first' chuckers.

Is Beno still on this team? I thought he was just on the roster because his contract was waiting to end. Not as a player that will be under contract for the '17-18' season. I could be wrong, but I would favor Udrih back for another season.

I used to pay for the NBA league pass, but I cannot justify paying that kind of money as long as Reggie Jackson remains on the team and Van Gundy is still in charge. So, I will have to rely on some of you guys to aid with the visuals during the season. Peace.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#105 » by vege » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:11 pm

I`m not sure if Beno`s contract is guaranteed or not but yes we signed him again for the minimum this season.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#106 » by Canadafan » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:00 pm

How great is Giannis? Lol. God. To have him on our team eh?
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#107 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:06 am

Canadafan wrote:How great is Giannis? Lol. God. To have him on our team eh?

People would complain that he can’t shoot.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#108 » by detroitKG » Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:15 pm

Return to Detroit Pistons