Trades for Jon Boy

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Trades for Jon Boy  

Post#1 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:59 am

Obviously he's not playing well!

That combined with his long contract and price tag means he's gonna carry the Baton of Hate that's been passed down from Monroe to KCP to RJ/Dre...

So here's some deals that could work:

To Chicago = Jon & 2018 pick
To Detroit = the Jimmy Butler TPE

The Bulls use a rather large TPE in order to acquire what should be a mid teen pick.

Since they're tanking taking Jon's 3 year deal isn't terrible for them as they might be able to use him as salary filler in a couple of years when they move some picks/youth for a upgrade.

To Sacramento: Jon & 2018 pick
To Detroit: Koufus

Kings take add approx $16 mil in salary over the next 3 years in order to acquire a mid first

Koufus - 2 years at $8 mil per

vs

Jon - 3 years at $10 mil per

To Phoenix: Jon & 2018 pick
To Detroit: Tyson Chandler (or Dudley)

Same as Chicago and Sacramento, where we give a mid first to clear the additional year of salary

To Minnesota: Jon, Bobo & 2018 pick
To Detroit: Dieng

Dieng seems to be in the dog house and has 4 years remaining on his deal. Jon seems like a better fit with KAT & Gibson there.

Wolves get a soon to be expiring (Bobo) & a mid first to make up the difference between Jon & Dieng

Anyone willing to give up the 2018 pick (yet) in order to move Jon?

Seems reasonable to expect other teams would require it as compensation in order to have Jon on the books that extra year

Sent from my SM-J110F using RealGM mobile app
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Re: Trades for Jon Boy 

Post#2 » by vege » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:20 am

I'd rather go for something different. Something like

Detroit Out: Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic
Detroit In: Joaquim Noah, late first round pick

Knicks Out: Joaquim Noah, Courtney Lee
Knicks In: Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic

3rd Team Out: expiring and 1st round pick
3rd Team In: Courtney Lee

Would be extremely dumb to use our first round pick and get a bad player back. I'm not against using it, but it would have to be for either an productive expiring for Leuer and Boban or for a good player for Leuer and Boban.
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,256

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:25 am

vege wrote:I'd rather go for something different. Something like

Detroit Out: Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic
Detroit In: Joaquim Noah, late first round pick

Knicks Out: Joaquim Noah, Courtney Lee
Knicks In: Jon Leuer, Boban Marjanovic

3rd Team Out: expiring and 1st round pick
3rd Team In: Courtney Lee

Would be extremely dumb to use our first round pick and get a bad player back. I'm not against using it, but it would have to be for either an productive expiring for Leuer and Boban or for a good player for Leuer and Boban.

I don't think Noah has anything left in the tank.

And I can't even stomach watching him shoot.
Jump shots or free throws.
vege
RealGM

Post#4 » by vege » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:26 am

He can still play defense and bring more veteran leadership, that's a lot more than what Leuer is providing right now.
vege
RealGM

Post#5 » by vege » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:30 am

I'd also try to trade for Tobias cousin :D

Leuer and our 1st to Chicago for a TPE.

TPE for Frye and a couple of Cleveland's 2nd or a better incentive from Cleveland (one of their young players).

I think Cleveland would save 15 million.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#6 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:32 am

I view the Bulls trade as simply getting the room to retain AB without worrying about the tax

I view the Kings deal as burning a first in order to get a cheaper, shorter contract

I view the Phoenix deal as a home run, best case scenario

I view the Minny deal as wishful thinking...but you never know what Thibs is thinking

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:32 am

Too early to be talking trading a 1st. Raptors dumped Carroll with one. So hopefully we could dump Boban with him if we look good seeing as the two of them are basically not far off in pay wise.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#8 » by BDM22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:01 am

I really don't like the idea of using a pick to dump Leuer or Boban, which would really only serve to save Gores money. The only benefit to us fans is that we wouldn't have to watch Stan force feed Leuer minutes, but the real answer here is to just not play him unless we have injuries.

Our best bet is to wait until next year when Boban will be expiring and Leuer will have 1 more year left, then try to make a deal.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Trades for Jon Boy 

Post#9 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:21 am

BDM22 wrote:I really don't like the idea of using a pick to dump Leuer or Boban, which would really only serve to save Gores money. The only benefit to us fans is that we wouldn't have to watch Stan force feed Leuer minutes, but the real answer here is to just not play him unless we have injuries.

Our best bet is to wait until next year when Boban will be expiring and Leuer will have 1 more year left, then try to make a deal.

Next year Jon will have TWO years left.

The way he's playing it's gonna take a first to shed a year and cash off his deal (Koufus)

IF we're lucky we might get a vet like Chandler if Phoenix is looking to "do right" by him but in that scenario wouldn't Cleveland offer Frye and filler?

It's not gonna be easy to move Jon & with Henry coming on it might be better to take the loss of a mid first in order to:

1 - create playing time for Henry

2 - clear some extra space under the tax line for ABs increase in the off-season.

The luxury tax is still a issue for us - we simply delayed the decision a year when we got AB in here instead of keeping KCP

mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#10 » by mattao313 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:23 am

Dumping any player with a pick is the most idiotic move for this team.
Championships
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#11 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:28 am

I admire the try, and earlier posts were close, but no one wants Leuer.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#12 » by BDM22 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:40 am

Pharaoh wrote:
BDM22 wrote:I really don't like the idea of using a pick to dump Leuer or Boban, which would really only serve to save Gores money. The only benefit to us fans is that we wouldn't have to watch Stan force feed Leuer minutes, but the real answer here is to just not play him unless we have injuries.

Next year Jon will have TWO years left.

I'm saying during next season. Then he'd have one more, and it would be much more palatable for another team. Maybe we take on a contract that is longer in return, but more useful to us. Maybe we just wait it out.

I want Henry to play over Leuer as much as the next guy, but why would Stan trade a 1st with Leuer just to stop himself from playing Leuer? Seems silly.

We could hit the taxline for a year next season, but I'm not sure Stan would have signed these guys if he had thought that would be an issue. It's not like this stuff comes as a surprise. He signed Leuer/Boban/Galloway/etc knowing we'd be paying a SG in a year or two. If we make the playoffs this year I can't imagine Gores not being willing to pay up for one season, and Stan hasn't shown that he's willing to trade picks to save a few bucks.

You really don't want to risk this team having another setback and letting that pick turn into something in the lottery all to save some billionaires a few million.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#13 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:20 am

mattao313 wrote:Dumping any player with a pick is the most idiotic move for this team.

Explain why.

mattao313
General Manager

Post#14 » by mattao313 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:28 am

Pharaoh wrote:
mattao313 wrote:Dumping any player with a pick is the most idiotic move for this team.

Explain why.

-Giving away pick as a team we don't know how good they are we possibly could still be a lottery or 8th seed team.
-Giving away cost controlled players as a team that is likely gonna be over the cap.
-Giving away chances of landing a true star as a team that has none no matter how low the chances are.

Picks should only be traded to try to acquire good players. Unless your already a really good team.
Championships
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Trades for Jon Boy 

Post#15 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:35 am

mattao313 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Explain why.

-Giving away pick as a team we don't know how good they are we possibly could still be a lottery or 8th seed team.

So out of fear you don't make a move that will help you!

-Giving away cost controlled players as a team that is likely gonna be over the cap.

-Giving away chances of landing a true star as a team that has none no matter how low the chances are

So you're hoping we land in the Lottery and get a cost controlled superstar?

That's the motivation for not moving Jon with a pick?

Let's say we make the playoffs as a 5-8 seed...

Does your opinion change?

Have you considered how keeping Jon & a mid first will impact us next off-season?

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#16 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 am

Does anyone think we'll use the MLE next off-season after we retain AB?

AB is looking at a $12 mil raise from his current salary...would give him a starting salary of $20 mil

Throw in a mid first salary...that's adding another $2 mil to our current payroll.

Throw in the MLE, which I think is around $7 mil

Anyone think we're gonna add another $30 mil to the current payroll in one off-season BEFORE raises are taken into account?

IF you knew right here, right now that we were a playoff team AND that Gores won't approve that kind of increase for the privilege...

Would that change your mind about dealing Jon and the mid first?

tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,977

Post#17 » by tmorgan » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 am

The only thing I'll add here is that Noah is THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE NBA right now. We aren't taking him on under any circumstances if the goal is to get better control of our costs. That's insane.

Leuer has 3/30 left and Boban has 2/14 left. Leuer has no confidence and Boban doesn't even get court time. That's bad.

Noah has 3/56 left and hasn't played a minute this season. He's always hurt, and he's more broken than Leuer when he plays. He has defensive smarts but has lost most of the physical ability to do anything with it. He's a very good passer, but everyone plays ten feet off him because his jumper looks like a three year old's, so there are no passing lanes.

Good lord no.
mattao313
General Manager

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Trades for Jon Boy 

Post#18 » by mattao313 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:45 am

Pharaoh wrote:
mattao313 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Explain why.

-Giving away chances of landing a true star as a team that has none no matter how low the chances are

Have you considered how keeping Jon & a mid first will impact us next off-season?

-What? Help do what? All the proposals are trading Leuer and a pick for other bums or cap space.

-Yes I'd rather hope for a star or starting caliber player in the draft (ie Drummond, KCP, Monroe) than give that chance away to acquire bums like Koufus or capspace.

No 5-8 seed in the east still isn't good enough to be giving away picks for no real reason whatsoever.
Championships
Pharaoh
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Trades for Jon Boy 

Post#19 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 am

mattao313 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
mattao313 wrote:-Giving away pick as a team we don't know how good they are we possibly could still be a lottery or 8th seed team.

-What? Help do what? All the proposals are trading Leuer and a pick for other bums or cap space.

-Yes I'd rather hope for a star or starting caliber player in the draft (ie Drummond, KCP, Monroe) than give that chance away to acquire bums like Koufus or capspace.

No 5-8 seed in the east still isn't good enough to be giving away picks for no real reason whatsoever.

No real reason? LMAO

I bolded my queastion to you this time :-)

Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#20 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:16 am

tmorgan wrote:The only thing I'll add here is that Noah is THE WORST CONTRACT IN THE NBA right now. We aren't taking him on under any circumstances if the goal is to get better control of our costs. That's insane.

Leuer has 3/30 left and Boban has 2/14 left. Leuer has no confidence and Boban doesn't even get court time. That's bad.

Noah has 3/56 left and hasn't played a minute this season. He's always hurt, and he's more broken than Leuer when he plays. He has defensive smarts but has lost most of the physical ability to do anything with it. He's a very good passer, but everyone plays ten feet off him because his jumper looks like a three year old's, so there are no passing lanes.

Good lord no.

Let's be clear - I never mentioned Noah. At all!

Return to Detroit Pistons