Luke Kennard

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Re: RE: Re: Luke Kennard 

Post#41 » by DetroitSho » Sun Dec 3, 2017 1:53 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Can we get away from the lazy analysis of "Kennard will be like Redick" or "Kennard will be like Dunleavy". Oh look everybody, a white guy being compared to a white guy. I'll start it off, I see some young Michael Redd in Kennard.

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

Its not lazy analysis, Kennard does play a similar style to those guys because his game is about finesse and shooting, not athleticism. White guys have much less fast twitch muscle fibres, which makes them factually less athletic. Going out of your way to compare Kennard to a black guy that played more of a finesse style is reaching and dishonest in my opinion. If I said Kennard is like a Reddick/Ginobili cross will that make you feel better?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

Uhhh no because he reminds me of Michael Redd. Going out of my way? WTF? Two guys, 6'5, left handed, with the ability to either spot up or find a good shot in the pick and roll if the defense closes out on the 3. Other than the fact that Redd brings the ball way further down on his jumper, these guys are very similar, more so than Kennard and Redick. Aestheticly there's something about being left handed that will never allow me to see Redick when I see Kennard.

Ginobli? C'mon man. He was not comparable to Kennard. More like Harden and Wade. I also noticed you didn't speak to the Dunleavy comparison. Did you want to speak to the similarities in their games too?

whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Re: Luke Kennard 

Post#42 » by whitehops » Sun Dec 3, 2017 3:08 pm

ImHeisenberg wrote:I'm actually surprised he hasn't surpassed him.

In the last 11 games which is roughly when Luke got into the rotation full time he’s averaging 8.6 PPG in 19 minutes so yeah it’s only a matter of time before he passes SJ for good.

He’s also shooting 51% from 3 in that stretch and is now above 41% from 3 on the season.

I’ve noticed that sometimes kennard just sits in that right corner for entire possessions and barely moves, especially when he’s in with the starters. a thought came to me yesterday when I watched redick guard him. Redick was only a foot away from kennard, even when the ball was on the other side of the court. I think SVG likes to keep kennard there because it gives the other guys more room to operate all their dribble handoffs without worrying about kennard’s man helping from the weak side.

It’s completely different than how teams guard SJ lol.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#43 » by hoophabit » Sun Dec 3, 2017 5:00 pm

Teams try hard not to leave Kennard open. Pistons need to try harder to get him open. I expect to see this as the season progresses.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#44 » by El Chivo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 am

Let the guy shoot.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#45 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:28 pm

He needs to be starting. Get rid of this bum Bradley.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#46 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:31 pm

Bradley needs to go
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#47 » by DETermination » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Sure Avery shoots 40 percent from three but 41 percent from the field is just awful. Right now Avery is getting 15 points a game on almost 15 shots a game and getting 2.4 turnovers a game.His defense isn't even that great either imo. Kennard is shooting 43 percent from 3 and 44 percent from the field.Per 36 minutes Avery is getting 18 points a game on 16 shots and Luke is getting 13 points a game on 11 shots. I really don't think Avery is that much better than Luke and should get moved for a pick or something. Langston is getting paid 7 million a year to be the third sg, if we move Avery atleast he would be worth something by playing backup sg.

Also I don't think Avery has that high of a basketball IQ, anyone with a good basketball IQ would know that long 2's are the worst shot in basketball. Plus this dude turns the ball over every time he tries to pass or dribble where Luke is a solid passer and ball handler.

#FreeLuke
Detroit vs Everybody
whitehops
General Manager

Post#48 » by whitehops » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:32 pm

luke's efficiency has slowly been climbing and he's now sitting at 44.4% from the field, 43.8% from 3 (2nd best for rookies behind tatum, 6th in the nba for guys taking 2 or more 3's a game), 86.2% from the line (best among rookies and best on the team). his only poor area is that he's shooting 44.8% from inside the arc, he's actually really good from mid range but isn't shooting well in the paint.

there's a small part of me that wants us to trade bradley before the deadline and then kennard gets put into a role where he can be more aggressive because he's still passive (which isn't a terrible thing). it won't happen, but oh well.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#49 » by sc8581 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:52 pm

whitehops wrote:luke's efficiency has slowly been climbing and he's now sitting at 44.4% from the field, 43.8% from 3 (2nd best for rookies behind tatum, 6th in the nba for guys taking 2 or more 3's a game), 86.2% from the line (best among rookies and best on the team). his only poor area is that he's shooting 44.8% from inside the arc, he's actually really good from mid range but isn't shooting well in the paint.

there's a small part of me that wants us to trade bradley before the deadline and then kennard gets put into a role where he can be more aggressive because he's still passive (which isn't a terrible thing). it won't happen, but oh well.

Im all for bringing rookies along slowly, similar to what Washington has done with Oubre and he's looked pretty damn good recently, I just don't understand why they don't run more picks for him to get open 3s. They did it late in yesterday's game and it worked great against a fairly athletic and defensive minded team. What's the worst that can happen, defenses find a way to stop it leaving somebody else open?

As for Bradley, he has to be traded by the deadline, no way we're paying him this summer.
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#50 » by rmfc » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:07 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Bradley needs to go

I thought it kinda became obvious after the 3rd-4th week.

AB only makes sense if RJ (an incredibly bad defender at PG) was running the show on offense full speed. We are now at a point that almost every one is convinced that we need to move RJ off the team.

Time to move on from both of them.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,938

Post#51 » by tmorgan » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:32 pm

We need a decent sized, strong defensive PG that at least has to be respected from 3 to pair with Kennard if he's our starting two in the future. It's ok if they aren't the best facilitator, as Kennard can cover some of that.

Patrick Beverly, anyone? Any other ideas? Oladipo is a pipe dream after breaking out this year. Who else?
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#52 » by MotownMadness » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

tmorgan wrote:We need a decent sized, strong defensive PG that at least has to be respected from 3 to pair with Kennard if he's our starting two in the future. It's ok if they aren't the best facilitator, as Kennard can cover some of that.

Patrick Beverly, anyone? Any other ideas? Oladipo is a pipe dream after breaking out this year. Who else?

Love what Kris Dunn is showing in Chicago. Nothing spectacular but just solid on both sides of the ball. He would be cool to build with Kennard but obviously Chicago ain't giving him up right now.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#53 » by sc8581 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

tmorgan wrote:We need a decent sized, strong defensive PG that at least has to be respected from 3 to pair with Kennard if he's our starting two in the future. It's ok if they aren't the best facilitator, as Kennard can cover some of that.

Nobody really fits that profile that might be made available but I would trade for TJ McConnell. He's got strong defense, can shoot and I prefer my PG to be a facilitator.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,705

Post#54 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:00 am

A_dub06 wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:Can we get away from the lazy analysis of "Kennard will be like Redick" or "Kennard will be like Dunleavy". Oh look everybody, a white guy being compared to a white guy. I'll start it off, I see some young Michael Redd in Kennard.

Its not lazy analysis, Kennard does play a similar style to those guys because his game is about finesse and shooting, not athleticism. White guys have much less fast twitch muscle fibres, which makes them factually less athletic. Going out of your way to compare Kennard to a black guy that played more of a finesse style is reaching and dishonest in my opinion. If I said Kennard is like a Reddick/Ginobili cross will that make you feel better?

This is actually a fascinating topic of study. For those of you who scoff, take the time and read some research papers on this. Most theorize it comes from sickle cell anemia and how carrying one of the genes is good as it greatly lessens the effects from malaria, and promotes lesser oxygen use which fast twitch muscle fibers use. There are other theories as well.

A greater amount of fast twitch muscle fibers also greatly reduced stamina as well.

The differences are not huge however in terms of raw numbers. A boost of about 7-8% is about the average, and its also not flat across the board as some whites have the same amount as black athletes, and vice-versa.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#55 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:08 am

zeebneeb wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

This is actually a fascinating topic of study. For those of you who scoff, take the time and read some research papers on this. Most theorize it comes from sickle cell anemia and how carrying one of the genes is good as it greatly lessens the effects from malaria, and promotes lesser oxygen use which fast twitch muscle fibers use. There are other theories as well.

A greater amount of fast twitch muscle fibers also greatly reduced stamina as well.

The differences are not huge however in terms of raw numbers. A boost of about 7-8% is about the average, and its also not flat across the board as some whites have the same amount as black athletes, and vice-versa.

Yeah we just don't have the same athleticism as black guys and that's just a fact. The white guys tend to focus on shooting a lot more cause they lack the athleticism.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#56 » by dVs33 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:26 am

I wouldn't be mad if Bradley is traded. He's been very underwhelming since coming to Detroit. Kennard needs to start

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
whitehops
General Manager

Post#57 » by whitehops » Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:53 pm

“I don’t know that he could carry the load right now of 32 or 34 minutes a game for 37 more games,” he said. “I don’t know if he’s ready for that. But more minutes – 24- to 28-minute range, something like that – yeah.”

In the 11 games Kennard has played since Jackson’s injury – he missed last week’s loss at Toronto with a thumb injury – Kennard is one of the few Pistons who hasn’t seen his offense suffer. He’s averaging 9.6 points and shooting .516 from the 3-point line over that span and is the only rotation player with a positive plus/minus rating.

With the Pistons groping for scoring, Van Gundy will continue to prod Kennard to be more mindful of looking to exploit every opportunity.

“I’m trying to get him to be more aggressive,” he said. “We’ve gotten him to when he rebounds to bust out. We’re running more plays for him. Just want him to be more aggressive, not just in shooting but in terms of making plays, drawing people to him. But really happy with his development. He’s got just got to continue to improve defensively.”

http://www.nba.com/pistons/features/offense-bumps-along-svg-considers-tweaks-pull-pistons-out-5-game-swoon

Kennard slated to get 24-28 minutes a game?! I’m all for it. He’s the kind of player this offense needs and he needs to be more assertive. I’m sure SVG is doing this because he thinks it will help us win, but you can’t help but wonder if he’s preparing for life post avery Bradley...
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#58 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:01 pm

^ Kennard has been at 21+ minutes a game since Reggie went down. Also when Reggie got hurt, Galloway was eliminated from the rotation until only recently when he has been re-inserted into Buycks' role.

This idea that Stan is holding Kennard back is just false.

I also believe that Bradley is very available. Bradley is one of the best tradeable assets Detroit has, and Luke has shown enough to where Bradley isn't a must resign guy.
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#59 » by Arp590 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:33 pm

thesack12 wrote:^ Kennard has been at 21+ minutes a game since Reggie went down. Also when Reggie got hurt, Galloway was eliminated from the rotation until only recently when he has been re-inserted into Buycks' role.

I also believe that Bradley is very available. Bradley is one of the best tradeable assets Detroit has, and Luke has shown enough to where Bradley isn't a must resign guy.

Needs to be getting closer to 30 minutes. In January- 54.7% FG, 45.5% 3PT, only 8.7 points.
It's just bad coaching, the dude needs more shots, the team needs to look for him more, and Stan needs to run plays for him.
44% from 3PT on the season.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#60 » by thesack12 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:51 pm

Arp590 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:^ Kennard has been at 21+ minutes a game since Reggie went down. Also when Reggie got hurt, Galloway was eliminated from the rotation until only recently when he has been re-inserted into Buycks' role.

Needs to be getting closer to 30 minutes. In January- 54.7% FG, 45.5% 3PT, only 8.7 points.
It's just bad coaching, the dude needs more shots, the team needs to look for him more, and Stan needs to run plays for him.
44% from 3PT on the season.

Why, so he can run head on into the rookie wall? Luke has been able to stay efficient because he's not getting gassed.

Stan has had Luke's minutes on a steady ascension since the start of the season. Stretching him out in that fashion is beneficial to help his conditioning, confidence, and growth. Contrary to popular belief, most rookies don't play 25+ minutes a game.

Also, not everything that happens in Stan's fault. Luke goes through stretches where he just goes flat out passive. I've already made the example, but I guess I'll do it again...

When Luke is in a lineup with Buycks/Galloway/Tolliver/Moreland as he was for good stretch in the Washington game, there is no reason at all why takes 1 shot in 10 minutes of the first half. When you are supposed to be a scorer, you assert yourself and take charge of that lineup. I know the kid is well liked, but he's not above criticism.

Return to Detroit Pistons