ImageImageImage

Welcome Blake Griffin

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Re: Welcome Blake Griffin 

Post#101 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:57 pm

— Van Gundy’s desperation turned out to be the Clippers’ saving grace. They didn’t know if they could find a taker for Griffin’s massive contract, with four years and $141 million to go, after owner Steve Ballmer decided he couldn’t go forward with Griffin. He reportedly reached that conclusion after Griffin’s December was a total washout due to his latest knee injury. So just six months after selling Griffin on being a Clipper for life, they were scrambling to find a trade partner.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-deadline-news-tyreke-evans-grizzlies-celtics-sixers-thunder-clippers/1qvqw08f7ujpw1to5swxc6pie5

LAC can afford to re-set for 2019 free agent class (Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Kevin Love and Kemba Walker) because LA is a draw. Detroit has to gamble on Griffin's health because we're capped out and otherwise going nowhere.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
ChuckVanBrown
Senior
And1: 352

Post#102 » by ChuckVanBrown » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:10 am

Sounds silly, but I think this Griffin trade is good for SVG too. His track record of being a good coach is proven, but it doesn’t seem he ever found his footing thus far in Detroit.

Part of that might be he’s just not great at developing young talent, and is more effective at bringing out the best in star players. He was successful with Wade and Howard, and Drummond has improved over the past few seasons. Having a star player like Blake might play to SVG’s strengths as a coach.

After this trade, I think we need to keep SVG through the remainder of his contract. It would be silly to fire him beforehand if things don’t work out this season. He deserves a training camp and full season with this revamped roster.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 16,955

Post#103 » by MrBigShot » Thu Feb 1, 2018 2:57 am

Blake is really, really good. 21/8/6 on good efficiency this month and this isn't his best. At his best there's maybe ~8-10 players in the league better. He's been in the league for a while now and because of his shift to a more below the rim style of play (with the occasional display of his crazy athleticism) and playoff woes I think fans around the league don't appreciate how good he is anymore.

The money only becomes an issue if he continues to get injured. But in terms of talent, there's no question that he's good enough to warrant his contract. Remember that the max isn't necessarily the standard for what the absolute best players are worth either, because if there was no max guys like LeBron & Harden would earn far more than what is the current max.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#104 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 1, 2018 3:25 am

Clippers being a free agency target is laughable. They were trash before Blake and were still second fiddle in their own city at their peak. Sure, living in LA can be seen as a draw, but that’s what the Lakers are for. I can totally see Balmer moving the Clips down the line

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#105 » by sfballa13 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 4:56 am

Kilo wrote:
— Van Gundy’s desperation turned out to be the Clippers’ saving grace. They didn’t know if they could find a taker for Griffin’s massive contract, with four years and $141 million to go, after owner Steve Ballmer decided he couldn’t go forward with Griffin. He reportedly reached that conclusion after Griffin’s December was a total washout due to his latest knee injury. So just six months after selling Griffin on being a Clipper for life, they were scrambling to find a trade partner.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/news/nba-trade-rumors-deadline-news-tyreke-evans-grizzlies-celtics-sixers-thunder-clippers/1qvqw08f7ujpw1to5swxc6pie5

LAC can afford to re-set for 2019 free agent class (Kawhi Leonard, Kyrie Irving, Klay Thompson, Kevin Love and Kemba Walker) because LA is a draw. Detroit has to gamble on Griffin's health because we're capped out and otherwise going nowhere.

No chance in hell any of those players (besides maybe Kemba) are going to the Clippers

As for our team even if we let Bradley walk we would be capped out, for the 2019 FA we would then we negotiating a new contract with Tobias again capping us out
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#106 » by bballnmike » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:50 am

Kilo wrote:

Yeah I'd be shocked if any of those guys sign with the Clippers. Maybe they're clearing space to be a destination for Lebron? Very doubtful.

LA is a draw if you're the Lakers. Post Blake Griffin, Clippers? Good luck.

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#107 » by Kilo » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:11 pm

Is Blake Griffin the original Joel Embiid?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#108 » by Liqourish » Thu Feb 1, 2018 12:34 pm

Kilo wrote:Is Blake Griffin the original Joel Embiid?

No, Blake plays in back to back games.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#109 » by DETermination » Fri Feb 2, 2018 11:33 pm

Can't wait for next Friday

Read on Twitter
Detroit vs Everybody
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#110 » by MotownMadness » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:08 am

DETermination wrote:Can't wait for next Friday

Read on Twitter

Destroy them Blake
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,854

Post#111 » by MotownMadness » Sat Feb 3, 2018 12:10 am

Reminds me of a better version of Simmons. Not quite the floor vision but a better scorer by far. They just move very nimble for 6'10 guys with multiple skill sets
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Post#112 » by hoophabit » Sat Feb 3, 2018 1:57 am

Honestly, I was encouraged by the list of injuries not being as bad as I expected. If he now plays with a little more restraint and caution that could be a good thing. Guy has remarkable talent.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,525

Post#113 » by zeebneeb » Sat Feb 3, 2018 2:02 am

Liqourish wrote:

No, Blake plays in back to back games.
The snark is strong with this one.
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#114 » by detroitKG » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:43 am

Bored because of no game tonight! Enjoy these 12+ minutes of Blake obliterating basketball hoops! :o :lol: 8-)
Might seriously be the best in game dunker of his generation.

bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#115 » by bballnmike » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:24 am

detroitKG wrote:Bored because of no game tonight! Enjoy these 12+ minutes of Blake obliterating basketball hoops! :o :lol: 8-)

Oh me oh my!
pollack419
Junior
And1: 70

Post#116 » by pollack419 » Wed Feb 7, 2018 2:16 pm

The Blake griffin all star rally begins now #PutHimInTheGame
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#117 » by Liqourish » Wed Feb 7, 2018 3:17 pm

pollack419 wrote:The Blake griffin all star rally begins now #PutHimInTheGame

Nah, Kemba and Simmons will get in first. General board posters on the other hands... :lol:
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#118 » by Montanabadboy » Wed Feb 7, 2018 5:16 pm

detroitKG wrote:Bored because of no game tonight! Enjoy these 12+ minutes of Blake obliterating basketball hoops! :o :lol: 8-)

What a freak!!! What an absolutely bad man! While I admire how his game has evolved, I am sorry we won't be seeing more of that. But as long as he stays healthy, that's more important.
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,348

Post#119 » by hoophabit » Wed Feb 7, 2018 6:05 pm

Montanabadboy wrote:

What a freak!!! What an absolutely bad man! While I admire how his game has evolved, I am sorry we won't be seeing more of that. But as long as he stays healthy, that's more important.

If he stays healthy because he plays smart, I'm totally good. The addition of a borderline superstar who is also the coach's son, veteran leadership, coach on the floor is perfect for this team. Just stay healthy Blake, and the finish to our season could be a lot of fun.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#120 » by DCintheD » Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:30 pm

DCintheD wrote:Welcome Josh Smith 2.0

You’re gonna love it here.

Called this like I saw it from the start. Detroit has become the destination where washed up stars come to rot
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS

Return to Detroit Pistons