ImageImageImage

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

What do you think of the Blake Griffin Trade?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 am

5 - Awesome! - All NBA!!!
29%
4 - Good - Give up less/get more
44%
3 - Meh - neutral
13%
2 - Ugh - Most likely we lost the trade
8%
1 - Wtf - fire Stan. This sets us back
6%

Total votes: 130

ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#1 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:56 am

Didn’t see a poll in other threads. This will be good for historical context.

Will leave the poll open for a week to not sway based on a game or 2.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Re: Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#2 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 am

I chose the fouth option. 5th seemed too extreme.

Hope I’m wrong. I’ve been against most of our major trades and signings in the last decade save the Reggie and Tobias moves. My track record has been pretty solid. I need a black mark on that record now.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#3 » by Billl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 am

There is a reason everyone is talking about the Blake Griffin trade and not the tobias trade. It's a stars league and we just traded for a star.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#4 » by DETermination » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:01 am

Went with 4. We traded Ersan and Jennings for Tobias and traded Marcus Morris for Avery and somehow turn that into Blake Griffin. As much as I wanted us to go full rebuild I just can't be mad about this trade.
Detroit vs Everybody
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#5 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 am

I like it gotta take chances sometimes.
Championships
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,209

Post#6 » by thesack12 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:02 am

Hasn't the historical evaluator always been whomever got the best player won the trade?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#7 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:05 am

DETermination wrote:Went with 4. We traded Ersan and Jennings for Tobias and traded Marcus Morris for Avery and somehow turn that into Blake Griffin. As much as I wanted us to go full rebuild I just can't be mad about this trade.

I don't agree fundamentally with this way of looking at it.

If you like Avery/Tobias/first for Blake that's one thing. I can disagree with that but I at least don't think its a disingenuous way of looking at it.

You can't just go back to what those assets used to be. The trades that netted us Tobias and Avery were already in the bank.
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#8 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:09 am

Snakebites wrote:
DETermination wrote:Went with 4. We traded Ersan and Jennings for Tobias and traded Marcus Morris for Avery and somehow turn that into Blake Griffin. As much as I wanted us to go full rebuild I just can't be mad about this trade.

If you like Avery/Tobias/first for Blake that's one thing. I can disagree with that but I at least don't think its a disingenuous way of looking at it.

You can't just go back to what those assets used to be. The trades that netted us Tobias and Avery were already in the bank.

Huh why not? SVG basically got better players every trade starting with garbage that's genuinely impressive. Its the same with the guy who traded a paper clip for a house.
Championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:10 am

mattao313 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Huh why not? SVG basically got better players every trade starting with garbage that's genuinely impressive. Its the same with the guy who traded a paper clip for a house.

Because we're evaluating the merits of this trade, not the collective trade effort of this administration.

Your confusion confuses me. I think I explained myself pretty clearly.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 am

Heh, looks like this trade isn't as polarizing as I thought it was.

Minority opinion, population me. And whoever voted for the 5th option.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#11 » by Billl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:35 am

Snakebites wrote:Heh, looks like this trade isn't as polarizing as I thought it was.

Minority opinion, population me. And whoever voted for the 5th option.

Again, I hope I'm wrong.

Oh, it certainly has the potential to blow up in our faces if he never gets right with those injuries. It's just a huge, huge talent upgrade if he's healthy though.
Notanoob
Analyst
And1: 1,179

Post#12 » by Notanoob » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 am

The way I see it, our team before this trade was a 4th seed with everyone healthy (especially before Jackson got hurt), but it wasn't going to go much further than that.

Now with Blake, we can possible beat out Toronto for the 3rd seed next season. We got better right now, we got an actual all-star player, and outside of Tobias we didn't give up much. A low 1st was never going to be a game changer and Bradley was having a bad season.

Our wing situation still sucks though. Who could we possibly sign this offseason? We basically have 4 wings who would probably be bench players on contenders, no cap space and no picks.
Kaboom3
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#13 » by Kaboom3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 am

Notanoob wrote:The way I see it, our team before this trade was a 4th seed with everyone healthy (especially before Jackson got hurt), but it wasn't going to go much further than that.

Now with Blake, we can possible beat out Toronto for the 3rd seed next season. We got better right now, we got an actual all-star player, and outside of Tobias we didn't give up much. A low 1st was never going to be a game changer and Bradley was having a bad season.

Our wing situation still sucks though. Who could we possibly sign this offseason? We basically have 4 wings who would probably be bench players on contenders, no cap space and no picks.

Assuming that he is not dealt away before the deadline as well, I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how good Luke Kennard can be with increased minutes. He's a really smart and gifted player, especially on the offensive end of the floor.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#14 » by buzzkilloton » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:51 am

Just read Zach Lowe’s article on the trade and it alligns with my thoughts exactly. As he said their was no market for Blake nobody wanted to offer anything for him. Desperate svg in need of saving his job took that awful contract on.

Rather then rebuild he goes for the cap the teams ceiling at 48 wins play to save his job. It’ll sell some tickets for a minute and look good to casual fans sure. Long term awful move.

We’re not going to be better then the pelicans with Davis and cousins and they weren’t getting anywhere. Teams capped out and has no ceiling.
SamFlow
Pro Prospect
And1: 199

Post#15 » by SamFlow » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:59 am

First look is happy.

We can't be done yet though.

We have our scorer, our go to guy.

Still need:

Point Guard
Outside shooters
Defense
Small Forward
Depth.

We won't be trading for Mrotic now, that part is gone.

Still could work at getting the orlando sf.
evan fornier

But we need a point guard. We just really need a better pg.

And we have to get some depth.

soooo, that really leaves offering teams cap space, draft picks and Stanley Johnson.
BigDaddyJungle
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#16 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:07 am

Snakebites wrote:

Both perspectives are valid. You can look at the trade in a vacuum and decide whether or not you got value in that specific trade and you can also take a step back and look at the bigger picture of what led to what. To me, SVG feels like the guy who started with one red paperclip and 14 trades later ended up with a house. I wrote this in another thread, but just to go deeper into DETermination's math:

How SVG/Bower trade up every time:

Blake Griffin
Willie Reed
Brice Johnson

For

Tobias Harris
Avery Bradley
Boban Marjanovic
Top 4-protected 1st round pick
2nd round pick

Tobias Harris = Post-ACL Brandon Jennings & Ersan Ilyasova
Ersan Ilyasova = over-the-hill Caron Butler & Shawne Williams

Avery Bradley + 2nd round pick = Marcus Morris
Marcus Morris + Reggie Bullock = 2nd round pick

Therefore,

Pistons in: Blake Griffin, Reggie Bullock, Willie Reed, Brice Johnson
Pistons out: Post-ACL injury Brandon Jennings, over-the-hill Caron Butler, Shawne Williams, Boban Marjanovic mid-level 1st round pick, 2nd round pick.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#17 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:12 am

ElectricMayhem wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Both perspectives are valid. You can look at the trade in a vacuum and decide whether or not you got value in that specific trade and you can also take a step back and look at the bigger picture of what led to what. To me, SVG feels like the guy who started with one red paperclip and 14 trades later ended up with a house. I wrote this in another thread, but just to go deeper into DETermination's math:

How SVG/Bower trade up every time:

Blake Griffin
Willie Reed
Brice Johnson

For

Tobias Harris
Avery Bradley
Boban Marjanovic
Top 4-protected 1st round pick
2nd round pick

Tobias Harris = Post-ACL Brandon Jennings & Ersan Ilyasova
Ersan Ilyasova = over-the-hill Caron Butler & Shawne Williams

Avery Bradley + 2nd round pick = Marcus Morris
Marcus Morris + Reggie Bullock = 2nd round pick

Therefore,

Pistons in: Blake Griffin, Reggie Bullock, Willie Reed, Brice Johnson
Pistons out: Post-ACL injury Brandon Jennings, over-the-hill Caron Butler, Shawne Williams, Boban Marjanovic mid-level 1st round pick, 2nd round pick.

But this asks about the Griffin trade, not about your overall feelings about the collective trades made by the SVG administration. We already got Tobias for Jennings and Ersan. That was a great trade that nobody disputes. That doesn't mean this trade should be looked upon more favorably because of the great deal we got on one of the assets involved in this deal.

That's like saying a car is a good purchase just because you got the money to pay for it on a lottery scratcher, and saying, well shucks, I got this car for a buck! It's still money, and either the way you spent it was wise or it wasn't. How you came about that money shouldn't enter into it.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#18 » by davidvolumes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:13 am

Can't stand SVG the coach. That said Brice Johnson is NBA ready. Insert him as the starting small forward immediately. Light years better than Stanley. Good mid range, plays above the rim, shot blocker, post game. Move Bullock to sg and equally spilt his time with luke. Imo the only thing that can screw things up is SVG the coach.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,148

Post#19 » by ElectricMayhem » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:18 am

As for the analyzing this specific trade:

I think Griffin is a douche (see: shoving trainer's face into crotch, breaking hand while punching trainer, purposefully throwing drink on fans). He is injury prone. His contract is cap-crippling.

I also think it was a very good trade for us. You accumulate assets so you can get a player of Blake Griffin's level. His value is lower now than it ever has been and lower than it probably should be. He's 28 and a lot of his injuries have been freak injuries. If we weren't going to completely blow it up, this is the best way to go.

Once Reggie comes back full power, that is going to be a very good triumvirate. Do we have a lot to worry about concerning the rest of the team and lack of funds to pay? Sure. There are plenty of worries left over, including the fact that Reggie, Luke, and Drummond are a poor man's version of Paul, Redick, and DJ.

It's not like Blake and Drummond have NTCs either. After three years of seeing what we can build with them, the Blake Griffin expiring contract will be insanely valuable to either keep and rebuild with or in an attempt to grab some other star who has fallen out with his team.

This year's ramifications:
To be honest, I have doubts we make the playoffs even with Blake. Griffin or no Griffin, Reggie Jackson is a key cog that needs to be at full power to make this machine go. I don't see him being at full power until next year.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#20 » by ComboGuardCity » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:18 am

This reminds me of when Jim traded Dwight magic beans.

Return to Detroit Pistons