ImageImageImage

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

What do you think of the Blake Griffin Trade?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 am

5 - Awesome! - All NBA!!!
29%
4 - Good - Give up less/get more
44%
3 - Meh - neutral
13%
2 - Ugh - Most likely we lost the trade
8%
1 - Wtf - fire Stan. This sets us back
6%

Total votes: 130

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Re: Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#121 » by Canadafan » Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:31 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:clippers with Harris 11-4
pistons with Blake 7-10

Read on Twitter

I'm looking forward to seeing these stats end of year
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#122 » by sc8581 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:43 am

Canadafan wrote:
pistons with Blake 7-10

Read on Twitter

Harris is playing with much better offensive players in LA
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#123 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Mar 12, 2018 6:21 am

sc8581 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
pistons with Blake 7-10

Read on Twitter

Harris is playing with much better offensive players in LA

Harris has made their offense better as a whole. The clippers have a top 5 offense in the nba since the break. They traded Blake Griffin and replaced him with a player who makes half the money and have became a better team.

A true superstar a team feels the loss. Blake the clippers play without and have no problem being just as good. Even pre trade their record was like a 1 game diff between Blake playing and no Blake. They only had a 0.2 point diff with Blake playing. They add Harris for Blake and become a much more dangerous team because the floor spacing and ball movement is so much better.

Blake not making his team better while putting up numbers isnt anything new either.

From 2014 to 2017:

With CP3 and no Griffin: 2143 minutes; 114 ORTG, 103 .2 DRTG, +10.8 NET

With Griffin and no Paul: 893 minutes: 107.5 ORTG, 111.2 DRTG, -3.7 NET

Without Paul over the past few years the clippers were a lotto team. With Paul and no Griffin they were a 60 win contender. Yes this shows how good CP3 is but it also shows Blake's numbers on the court really dont add much to a team compared to a true star like CP3.

Thats why West and the clippers knew they could move Blake no problem. Hes similar to knicks Carmelo, he gets some nice stats but he doesnt really add wins to your team. A true star you wouldnt be able to sub in T.Harris for and become a better team right off rip.

Speaking of the knicks Anthony comparison. Espn just made that comparison due to Blakes age and contract(not how they play) on a Q and A.

"Unfortunately, that looks like it could be Griffin's fate on his new contract. He's making the league's fifth-largest salary this season, and while other players might surpass him, Griffin's share of the salary cap figures to increase with 8 percent year-to-year raises for the life of his five-year deal. Even the most optimistic assessments of a healthy Griffin don't put him among the NBA's top five players, and at nearly 29 (he'll be blowing out the candles next week), Griffin is likely to trend the wrong direction in terms of production -- very similar to how Anthony aged with the Knicks."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/22720582/kevin-pelton-weekly-mailbag-blake-griffin-new-carmelo-anthony
Mr Peanut
Starter
And1: 2,325

Post#124 » by Mr Peanut » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:30 am

I think Blake is unfairly being made a scapegoat for our current transgressions. Over the past 5 games:

24.8 points, 6.6 rebounds, 6.4 assists, 48.4% FG, 48.0% 3PT

Not sure how much stock you can put into his low rebounding numbers given he plays alongside the best rebounder in the league.

The reason we're losing is we traded away two of our starters to get him and our starting PG has played less than half the season thus far. It's basically Drummond, Blake and a bunch of bench players out there at the moment.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,463

Post#125 » by Canadafan » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:13 pm

Mr Peanut wrote:I think Blake is unfairly being made a scapegoat for our current transgressions. Over the past 5 games:

Not sure how much stock you can put into his low rebounding numbers given he plays alongside the best rebounder in the league.

The reason we're losing is we traded away two of our starters to get him and our starting PG has played less than half the season thus far. It's basically Drummond, Blake and a bunch of bench players out there at the moment.

Very true. Get RJ back and we'll look much better. Add another starter in the summer and we'll luck much better. Add in the improvement of SJ and Luke on top of that and no doubt we're a top 4 East team.

Ish+Galloway+Ellenson or Leuer+Galloway for either Bazemore or Fournier :D :nod:
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#126 » by The Penguin » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:36 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Mr Peanut wrote:I think Blake is unfairly being made a scapegoat for our current transgressions. Over the past 5 games:

Very true. Get RJ back and we'll look much better. Add another starter in the summer and we'll luck much better. Add in the improvement of SJ and Luke on top of that and no doubt we're a top 4 East team.

Ish+Galloway+Ellenson or Leuer+Galloway for either Bazemore or Fournier :D :nod:

I'm sorry, but even fully healthy it's nowhere near a top 4 team in the East. Is Reggie ever really going to be healthy? Even if he's healthy, 3/5ths of our "optimum" lineup (Reggie / Blake / Dre) have terrible spacing, which only gets worse when Stanley plays with them.

I've tried to be optimistic, but this franchise is going nowhere until we have a true all star level playmaker on the perimeter, and Reggie isn't that guy.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,377

Post#127 » by Billl » Mon Mar 12, 2018 2:43 pm

We really need to get lucky/smart on a guy with upside. Last time we made a run, we got Chauncey and Ben as relative unknowns on bargain contracts and a late first rounder turned into an olympian. It's not really fair to expect SVG to replicate that, but we've got to do better than Galloway and Leuer and a multiple picks that don't see the floor.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#128 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:53 am

That Blake Griffin D.

Read on Twitter
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#129 » by Crymson » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:32 pm

He's played six good games and 12 bad ones. Nonetheless, the issue isn't his quality as a player. It's that the trade was an absolutely horrible thing for this organization from the moment it was sealed.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#130 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:08 am

Out at least a week. As I've said on this forum at least 30 times u don't want a injury prone big. Guys going to continue to get banged up. 3 years of these injuries now.

F U Gore's and SVG
springcadre
Sophomore
And1: 92

Post#131 » by springcadre » Sat Mar 31, 2018 1:25 am

Another short sighted win now move from a staff that keeps the Pistons on the treadmill of mediocrity and makes it more difficult to truly rebuild a team that should have probably been torn down this previous summer. Blake Griffin is probably unmoveable at this point due to his contract, among several other bloated salaries or weak prospects that might fetch a few second rounders. SVG essentially left the team with few or no options to improve beyond internal progression, not that anyone has developed or flourished in Detroit during his tenure.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#132 » by Crymson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:43 am

It shocks me how many fans don't realize that this was a "sell tickets" move, not a basketball move. Many seem to be under the impression that because the Pistons traded for Griffin, the trade MUST have made good basketball sense of some kind. That's woefully untrue. The trade made no basketball sense. None! It was a corner-cutting endeavor by a misguided owner who believed that getting a big name would get fans back into the stands.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#133 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:04 am

buzzkilloton wrote:Out at least a week. As I've said on this forum at least 30 times u don't want a injury prone big. Guys going to continue to get banged up. 3 years of these injuries now.

F U Gore's and SVG

On the upside I think we're better without him...
Crymson
Rookie

Post#134 » by Crymson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:11 am

Snakebites wrote:On the upside I think we're better without him...

It may legitimately turn out to be the case. He just doesn't fit with either Jackson or Drummond, and they fit together better without him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#135 » by Snakebites » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:19 am

Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:On the upside I think we're better without him...

It may legitimately turn out to be the case. He just doesn't fit with either Jackson or Drummond, and they fit together better without him.

Yes. We gave up a solid young player, a draft pick, and all of our financial flexibility for a guy we're probably better off without entirely.

Freaking delightful.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#136 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:59 am

Clippers had a .2 point diff with him out earlier in the season compared to with. Was a one game diff in record with him. They've been improved with Harris in his spot after the trade. Point being it would be no surprise if we're a better team without him.

Really at this point if we could lose his salary for the next 4 years and get our 1st rounder back it would be a win. It's Obv were paying this guy 35 mill a year for 60 games per season BEST CASE.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#137 » by Crymson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:37 pm

Rereading the first five pages of this thread was a cringeworthy experience. The supporters of the trade were full of rah-rah, wishful-thinking sentiment that totally violated basketball sense, and fully intent on drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid from each other and from any analyst who agreed with them---and equally so on simply dismissing anyone who disagreed. Not coincidentally, those people are all nowhere to be found on this forum lately.

This isn't an "I told you so situation"; it's that the negative ramifications of the trade were so f***ing obvious from day one, yet so many fans either didn't understand them, didn't want to hear them, or refused to accept them. Instead we were subjected to an impassioned avalanche of basketball stupidity. It was a super disappointing time to be posting here or on any of the other Pistons forums, where the exact same thing happened.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 733

Post#138 » by A_dub06 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:29 pm

Crymson wrote:Rereading the first five pages of this thread was a cringeworthy experience. The supporters of the trade were full of rah-rah, wishful-thinking sentiment that totally violated basketball sense, and fully intent on drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid from each other and from any analyst who agreed with them---and equally so on simply dismissing anyone who disagreed. Not coincidentally, those people are all nowhere to be found on this forum lately.

This isn't an "I told you so situation"; it's that the negative ramifications of the trade were so f***ing obvious from day one, yet so many fans either didn't understand them, didn't want to hear them, or refused to accept them. Instead we were subjected to an impassioned avalanche of basketball stupidity. It was a super disappointing time to be posting here or on any of the other Pistons forums, where the exact same thing happened.

It hasn’t just stopped there though, there’s still around 5 posters that refuse to admit that the Blake trade was a cyanide pill in disguise and continue to make excuses like “with a healthy Reggie”, “if Blake can continue shooting 40% from 3”, “with at least one training camp together under their belt”, “if we had a better wing” and the list goes on. It’s this same stupidity that can be seen in the thread regarding the use of our 1st round pick should we win the lottery where people are trying to find a way to justify the Griffins trade STILL. It’s actually soured my participation here as I feel the stupidity and a total lack of common sense has reached breaking point where logical and rational discussion is derailed due to blind homerism and ignorance.

I think out of all the moves this franchise has made in the last ten years the Blake trade is easily the worst.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Izzite
Senior
And1: 327

Post#139 » by Izzite » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:34 pm

Crymson wrote:Rereading the first five pages of this thread was a cringeworthy experience. The supporters of the trade were full of rah-rah, wishful-thinking sentiment that totally violated basketball sense, and fully intent on drinking the proverbial Kool-Aid from each other and from any analyst who agreed with them---and equally so on simply dismissing anyone who disagreed. Not coincidentally, those people are all nowhere to be found on this forum lately.

Lol this is clearly an “I told you so” post. You have two similar posts within 10 minutes of one another stating how how many posters were wrong about the trade and how obvious it wasn’t going to work.

Regardless, yes the trade didn’t work out for this season. More than likely, we don’t have a draft pick. We are basically out of the playoffs. These are all factors for the non-activity on all Pistons forums. Plus people probably dislike all of the negativity that surrounds most posts(which you have the right to feel so). Its hard to have discussion over a team that doesn’t seem to have an immediate future. The hope now is internal growth and with our track record, that isn’t anything to get your dick hard over.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#140 » by Crymson » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:37 pm

Izzite wrote:Lol this is clearly an “I told you so” post. You have two similar posts within 10 minutes of one another stating how how many posters were wrong about the trade and how obvious it wasn’t going to work.

It really isn't. I immediately felt sure that things were going to go poorly, for the simple reason that everything was wrong with it from the very beginning. But I'd have preferred to be wrong. When the Pistons suck, we all lose. This is my first time venting about how f***ing frustrating those first few days were. The bull was flying everywhere, and anyone who didn't agree with it was shouted down.

Return to Detroit Pistons