ImageImageImage

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

What do you think of the Blake Griffin Trade?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 am

5 - Awesome! - All NBA!!!
29%
4 - Good - Give up less/get more
44%
3 - Meh - neutral
13%
2 - Ugh - Most likely we lost the trade
8%
1 - Wtf - fire Stan. This sets us back
6%

Total votes: 130

DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Re: Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#221 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 8:19 pm

The trade could've been salvaged if Blake had been traded last year at the deadline or this past summer.

Blake for D'Angelo Russell could be mildly interesting this summer

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#222 » by mattao313 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:01 pm

Eh I liked the trade then and still dont have a problem with it now, what I dont like is the FO has no direction. After the trade they did nothing to make the team better. They were totally satisfied with the idea of just making the playoff beyond that they dont care.
Championships
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#223 » by Crymson » Thu Dec 26, 2019 11:50 pm

Manocad wrote:
Crymson wrote:This forum, and Pistons fandom in general, reached peak delusion around this trade. It'd be hilarious to look back upon were the highly foreseeable negative consequences of the trade not presently staring us all in the face.

Being realistic around here means you get labeled as a member of the “doom and gloom” crowd. It’s funny how the “doom and gloom” just happened to be followed by years of garbage, which sounds to me like the “doom and gloom” crowd is more like the “knew what they were talking about” crowd.

This team has been badly coached and incompetently managed for more than a decade. You'd think that the fans would realize this, and understand that this team has been so bad for so long because the people making the decisions have made the wrong decisions much more often than not, but that seems to not be the case.

I get that people want to have hope, but having hope and attacking those who don't ride the hype train are two different matters entirely.

mattao313 wrote:Eh I liked the trade then and still dont have a problem with it now, what I dont like is the FO has no direction. After the trade they did nothing to make the team better. They were totally satisfied with the idea of just making the playoff beyond that they dont care.

They could not make the team better after the trade. That was a major consequence of the trade. It left the Pistons with near-zero salary cap flexibility and exceedingly few tradeable assets. In effect, the trade made an impossibility of substantively improving the team for the following two seasons. This was a downside amply commented upon at the time of the deal. It was one of numerous reasons why said transaction made no discernible sense.

On the balance, it was a foolish deal executed by an incompetent general manager.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#224 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:13 am

It was not a bad trade of course as he had an All-NBA season, and the pick we gave up turned out to be the underwhelming Miles Bridges. We had a really decent chance to turn him into assets this summer but management and ownership is incompetent. The time to sell already passed and now we are stuck with him.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#225 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:40 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:It was not a bad trade of course as he had an All-NBA season, and the pick we gave up turned out to be the underwhelming Miles Bridges. We had a really decent chance to turn him into assets this summer but management and ownership is incompetent. The time to sell already passed and now we are stuck with him.

Yeah and the knicks getting Amare wasnt a bad move because he made 2nd team all NBA the first year he was with the Knicks.....said nobody ever. All nba 3rd team great achievement. He was done playing all nba level by time March rolled around. He was completely finished by the playoffs. His all nba season rewarded us with a 8seed in the East to be the Bucks bitch for 4 games.

The reason nobody wanted Blake was hes a injury risk, with a huge contract, and was approaching being 30. Hes now been hurt at the end of the first year of the trade(he was hurt for a bunch of games before we traded for him too that year), the end of the second year, and were into the 3rd season and hes gimpy. This is line with his career where he had 3 healthy seasons in his first four seasons.

We were going to draft Bridges? I heard we were going to trade up for SGA like the clippers. Maybe trade down who knows how the pick would be used. Hell we could of won the lottery fig no Blake we've got a diff W/L which means a diff spot in the lotto most likely.

The trade wasnt a 1 for 1 either. T.Harris was worth a crap ton on the trade market last season as we seen. Before you say whats other fans in denial say " we would of overpaid T.Harris if we kept him". Nobody knows what we would of done. We traded him once we could of easily traded him again.

Then another thing that is forgotten thats really valuable for many reasons is cap flexibility.We could of done things like take bad contracts and pick up more picks or sign a younger free agent with upside. Paying Blake takes up a resource in cap space so its not as simple as "hes tank commander now its not that bad" that some people say since we gave up resources to have a tank commander.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#226 » by Crymson » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:13 am

I don't understand the idea that we would have picked at the same spot. The pre-trade Pistons had lost eight straight. They were most likely in for a considerably higher pick, which made the trade yet dumber.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#227 » by Manocad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:18 pm

Crymson wrote:I don't understand the idea that we would have picked at the same spot. The pre-trade Pistons had lost eight straight. They were most likely in for a considerably higher pick, which made the trade yet dumber.

Not to mention that, as many of us “doom and gloom” folks said, the Pistons were nowhere near close enough to being a contender that adding Blake would put them into contention for anything even he did stay healthy and have monster stats...which is exactly what happened.

And I get that some people would rather have a team that’s contending for a 7-8 seed every year, just missing the playoffs, or getting crushed in the first round under the idea of “so you’re saying there’s a chance.” To those people I guess that’s exciting, or at least more satisfying than enduring a few 20-30 win seasons as a true championship team gets built. That’s just not me. That’s the treadmill I find to be quite frustrating as a fan because you know where it ends up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I’d rather watch the team miss the playoffs while growing into a true championship contender.
JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Post#228 » by JNewton » Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:39 pm

Manocad wrote:
Crymson wrote:And I get that some people would rather have a team that’s contending for a 7-8 seed every year, just missing the playoffs, or getting crushed in the first round under the idea of “so you’re saying there’s a chance.” To those people I guess that’s exciting, or at least more satisfying than enduring a few 20-30 win seasons as a true championship team gets built. That’s just not me. That’s the treadmill I find to be quite frustrating as a fan because you know where it ends up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I’d rather watch the team miss the playoffs while growing into a true championship contender.

Outside of a couple of outliers, the Pistons won what, about 35 games every season this decade? I'd rather lose 10-15 more and have a chance at getting a guy that can change the course of your franchise in the draft (i.e. the Mavs and Doncic.) This perpetual chasing the 8 seed (and almost always failing even at that) is unbearable.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#229 » by Manocad » Sat Dec 28, 2019 6:12 pm

JNewton wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Crymson wrote:And I get that some people would rather have a team that’s contending for a 7-8 seed every year, just missing the playoffs, or getting crushed in the first round under the idea of “so you’re saying there’s a chance.” To those people I guess that’s exciting, or at least more satisfying than enduring a few 20-30 win seasons as a true championship team gets built. That’s just not me. That’s the treadmill I find to be quite frustrating as a fan because you know where it ends up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I’d rather watch the team miss the playoffs while growing into a true championship contender.

Outside of a couple of outliers, the Pistons won what, about 35 games every season this decade? I'd rather lose 10-15 more and have a chance at getting a guy that can change the course of your franchise in the draft (i.e. the Mavs and Doncic.) This perpetual chasing the 8 seed (and almost always failing even at that) is unbearable.

The win totals in the last 10 years in chronological order are 27, 30, 25, 29, 29, 32, 44, 37, 39, and 41.

And here’s the sad part...NOT ONE OF THOSE YEARS WAS A “REBUILDING” YEAR. That’s right, ladies and gents—every one of those years were “going for it” years. When you’re “going for it/win now” and finish with 20-40 wins, you either A) don’t know how to “go for it,” B) don’t have any chance of “going for it” no matter what you do, or C) both.

My answer on that one is C. But I’ll never succumb to the “win now/rebuild on the fly” strategy under the idea of “this management will just screw up the draft picks anyway, so draft picks are worthless.” I’ll use a golf analogy for that one—when I first started golfing I had a horrible slice on my drives. I had good power so I had decent distance, and plenty of people I golfed with suggested that I play the slice—aim way left (right handed) and let the slice fall into the fairway. I refused and kept working on correcting my slice, which I did (and now my bad drives are the opposite; I roll over and yank it left—lol). Point being, I’d rather see the team fail at doing it the right way than try to be successful doing it the wrong way because they supposedly suck at doing it the right way. Problem is, they suck at trying to land that slice in the fairway too.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#230 » by Canadafan » Sat Dec 28, 2019 8:41 pm

^^^^good analogy lol. I'm totally onboard now. Throw in the damn towel on this season and next and get our own draft picks in the top 5range. Horde as many picks and future assets as we can. And do this thing the right way
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#231 » by sfballa13 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:38 am

Canadafan wrote:^^^^good analogy lol. I'm totally onboard now. Throw in the damn towel on this season and next and get our own draft picks in the top 5range. Horde as many picks and future assets as we can. And do this thing the right way

Since 1980 the Pistons have only drafted in the top 5 three times:
- Isiah
- Grant Hill
- Darko

39 years!!!
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#232 » by Mr. Krabs » Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:59 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:It was not a bad trade of course as he had an All-NBA season, and the pick we gave up turned out to be the underwhelming Miles Bridges. We had a really decent chance to turn him into assets this summer but management and ownership is incompetent. The time to sell already passed and now we are stuck with him.

Yeah and the knicks getting Amare wasnt a bad move because he made 2nd team all NBA the first year he was with the Knicks.....said nobody ever. All nba 3rd team great achievement. He was done playing all nba level by time March rolled around. He was completely finished by the playoffs. His all nba season rewarded us with a 8seed in the East to be the Bucks bitch for 4 games.

The reason nobody wanted Blake was hes a injury risk, with a huge contract, and was approaching being 30. Hes now been hurt at the end of the first year of the trade(he was hurt for a bunch of games before we traded for him too that year), the end of the second year, and were into the 3rd season and hes gimpy. This is line with his career where he had 3 healthy seasons in his first four seasons.

We were going to draft Bridges? I heard we were going to trade up for SGA like the clippers. Maybe trade down who knows how the pick would be used. Hell we could of won the lottery fig no Blake we've got a diff W/L which means a diff spot in the lotto most likely.

The trade wasnt a 1 for 1 either. T.Harris was worth a crap ton on the trade market last season as we seen. Before you say whats other fans in denial say " we would of overpaid T.Harris if we kept him". Nobody knows what we would of done. We traded him once we could of easily traded him again.

Then another thing that is forgotten thats really valuable for many reasons is cap flexibility.We could of done things like take bad contracts and pick up more picks or sign a younger free agent with upside. Paying Blake takes up a resource in cap space so its not as simple as "hes tank commander now its not that bad" that some people say since we gave up resources to have a tank commander.

If our FO was at least average I could agree. But the only thing that's going to save this team is about two top-3 draft picks in a row.

Return to Detroit Pistons