ImageImageImage

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

What do you think of the Blake Griffin Trade?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 am

5 - Awesome! - All NBA!!!
29%
4 - Good - Give up less/get more
44%
3 - Meh - neutral
13%
2 - Ugh - Most likely we lost the trade
8%
1 - Wtf - fire Stan. This sets us back
6%

Total votes: 130

vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Re: Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#41 » by vic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:31 pm

As a casual basketball fan, I'll probably go back to watching games.

As a Pistons fan who understands Pistons basketball, it's kind of sad, because physically, Blake is on the decline and he is injury prone.

His skill increases have been awesome, but the injuries take him off the floor 34% of his past 4 seasons.

Jerry West Builds dynasties. He's the logo. (80s Lakers, 2000s Lakers, current Warriors) Any time you trade with Jerry West you're going to lose and he's going to win. That's just NBA history.

https://www.investors.com/news/management/leaders-and-success/jerry-west-takes-his-talent-to-a-higher-level-as-an-executive/

So forgive me if I'm not impressed with SVG saving his job with another great trade/panic move... and setting up to miss on another great draft with valuable long term talent.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#42 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 pm

vic wrote:As a casual basketball fan, I'll probably go back to watching games.

As a Pistons fan who understands Pistons basketball, it's kind of sad, because physically, Blake is on the decline and he is injury prone.

His skill increases have been awesome, but the injuries take him off the floor 34% of his past 4 seasons.

Jerry West Builds dynasties. He's the logo. (80s Lakers, 2000s Lakers, current Warriors) Any time you trade with Jerry West you're going to lose and he's going to win. That's just NBA history.

https://www.investors.com/news/management/leaders-and-success/jerry-west-takes-his-talent-to-a-higher-level-as-an-executive/

So forgive me if I'm not impressed with SVG saving his job with another great trade/panic move... and setting up to miss on another great draft with valuable long term talent.

I do give Stan credit..... he's the guy in the office who makes it 30 years while doing just enough to survive the cuts...... this bought him another 2-3 years easily........
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#43 » by mattao313 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:52 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:

I do give Stan credit..... he's the guy in the office who makes it 30 years while doing just enough to survive the cuts...... this bought him another 2-3 years easily........

I really don't think SVG is that desperate for a job.
Championships
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#44 » by ByeByeDre » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:21 pm

mattao313 wrote:
ByeByeDre wrote:

I really don't think SVG is that desperate for a job.

Who said he was?
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#45 » by The Penguin » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:37 pm

We aren't going to tank regardless, so best case in terms of draft pick (or worst case now) is pick ~12. Best case you are looking at a 50-60% chance that's a starter and a very small chance that's a franchise altering talent. If we bounce into the top 3, we keep the pick. If we make the playoffs it drops lower and those odds of adding a starter get even lower. And that's if you are actually good at developing young players, which we aren't.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,788

Post#46 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 pm

I’ll be okay with coughing up the pick if we make the playoffs. That’s an if though. Our outside shooting took a big hit here.

If Kennard and Bullock can’t handle a bigger load and step up as shooters were in some trouble.
vic
Veteran

Post#47 » by vic » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:45 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:

SVG is great at doing his job...

Championships? not so much.

I hope we strike lightning with Reggie Jackson and Griffin and Drummond stay healthy and maybe this is the year the Pistons prove everybody wrong.

It was a great win now move. Full credit to SVG/Bowers for a good win now move.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
LakersSoul
Head Coach
And1: 4,486

Post#48 » by LakersSoul » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Congrats on picking up Blake Griffin!

I know BG makes $34 million for 5 years with some injury issues but super excited for you guys. I feel there are some concerns amongst the fans but come on. BG is in his prime at 28/29 years old and signed for 5 more years when you guys have trouble attracting stars to Detroit. Unless BG is injured badly, you guys got a semi-superstar, super exciting player to build around in your new arena. What a deal!!

BG and Drummond duo will be tops in the east and just a tier below Cavs/Boston. If SVG gets a good poing guard production and shooters, Detroit could be a beast in the east. You guys also didnt ship out SJ or Kennard. I dont know how you guys pulled this off. As for that draft pick, it will be top 15 to 20 when the 2018 draft is top 8 heavy and SVG put a top 4 protection for a semi-superstar. You are not getting anyone close to BG's level in the draft especially not at #17 range. As for Avery and Harris, Avery will seek $20 million which you dont want to sign for 4 years while Harris is a good piece but not a superstar. You guys turned an expiring, a good player and a mid range pick for a semi-superstar signed for 5 years.

You guys made out like bandits. Its almost like Boston taking Irving from Cavs as so many thought the Cavs took Boston to the shed but there is a reason why the team that wins is the team that brings in the best player and BG is by far, far the best player here. If you guys are not tanking, then you guys gave up very little to add a semi-superstar in BG.

"Westy, LeBron + AD to rule the West.
Return of the King, the Lakers."
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#49 » by Kilo » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:17 pm

I think Gores being a LA resident probably read a lot about Blake Griffin the superstar over the years, right up to the big showy attempt to extend him and he wanted that when he heard he was available. It's not a basketball move, but it will bring excitement and asses in the seats - seeing the empty JLA when the Pistons play is embarrassing.

It is what it is at this point, Blake Griffin is a Detroit Piston and will be one for the next four seasons. If we were never going to tank, I guess this is more fun than treadmilling it with Toby Harris and whoever we traded Bradley for.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Kntrl
Freshman
And1: 40

Post#50 » by Kntrl » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Tobias and a 1st pretty much for Blake griffen. Im in. at least we are not bored anymore. This team was horrible as is.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#51 » by potatoaim » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Kntrl wrote:Tobias and a 1st pretty much for Blake griffen. Im in. at least we are not bored anymore. This team was horrible as is.

Thats why im pretty happy with the deal, we didnt have to give up much. Bradley was a disappointment and was leaving/not worth resigning anyway. Harris is a good but inconsistent scorer who is practically useless if his shot isnt dropping. And Boban was unplayable on a terrible contract.

So it was basically an inconsistent scorer, whose D was laughable, and a mid 1st rounder for BG. Okay, fine, sounds good to me. He is an injury risk, but this team needed to do something.
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#52 » by GBanga3 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:57 pm

Pugz wrote:im neutral.

as a casual fan it looks good. it looks fun. its new.

as a true basketball fan, its hard to swallow. we're going to be stuck. we are no better than we were prior. going forward, sure, we get a little better(if all things click).. but we cant add to the team. we have no money to spend.

we have a star in the prime of his career and a budding star who still hasnt fully hit his prime. that should be a method to success but we need more, a lot more, and im not sure how we get that.

we still have all of the same problems we had for what seems like the last decade, now we just have a high payroll and two star players. in typical detroit sports fashion, we'll be wasting their primes away.

Tough crowd.

We had no money before and we just got Blake Griffen, the best PF we've seen since Sheed, in a position of need.
At the same time got something in return for an underwhelming (def not resigning, holding Luke back) AB and got out of the Boban contract.

I'll miss Tobias but only until Blake throws down the hammer on someone!

DEEEEETTTRRROOOIIITTTT BBBAAAASSKKKEETTTBBBAALLLL!!
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#53 » by Manocad » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:58 pm

Billl wrote:There is a reason everyone is talking about the Blake Griffin trade and not the tobias trade. It's a stars league and we just traded for a star.

And that’s where I’m at with this. Like “F**k it, no matter what else happens the Pistons now have a guy who can put asses in seats and provide some highlight reel content.”

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#54 » by jakebernat » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:59 pm

GBanga3 wrote:
Pugz wrote:im neutral.

as a casual fan it looks good. it looks fun. its new.

as a true basketball fan, its hard to swallow. we're going to be stuck. we are no better than we were prior. going forward, sure, we get a little better(if all things click).. but we cant add to the team. we have no money to spend.

we have a star in the prime of his career and a budding star who still hasnt fully hit his prime. that should be a method to success but we need more, a lot more, and im not sure how we get that.

we still have all of the same problems we had for what seems like the last decade, now we just have a high payroll and two star players. in typical detroit sports fashion, we'll be wasting their primes away.

Tough crowd.

We had no money before and we just got Blake Griffen, the best PF we've seen since Sheed, in a position of need.
At the same time got something in return for an underwhelming (def not resigning, holding Luke back) AB and got out of the Boban contract.

I'll miss Tobias but only until Blake throws down the hammer on someone!

DEEEEETTTRRROOOIIITTTT BBBAAAASSKKKEETTTBBBAALLLL!!

I tend to agree with this line of thinking. People are seriously upset that we’re not tearing it down completely and scouting the class of 2023.

This is gonna be fun, people. I don’t care if it’s an adjustment/struggle at first, stars find a way to be successful and impactful. There hasn’t been this much talent on our basketball court in god knows how long. Stop nitpicking and start enjoying the fact that SVG has done what 99.9% of people said was impossible and brought a star to Detroit.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#55 » by pistonsbball » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:11 pm

Went from initially liking it, to being concerned about the contract, to liking it again.

The easy take on Blake is that he relies on his athleticism. I don't see this at all, sure he may not have as many highlight plays anymore, but he's been playing pretty much below the rim for the last few seasons. He dominated in the last playoffs where he was fully fit with mostly a mix of crafty inside moves and mid range jumpers. He looked a top 5 player at this stage. The guy is highly skilled and a hard worker. I love his court vision and feel for the game.

The pistons offense as it is relies heavily on making 3s and when we go cold from deep we often don't score for possessions at a time. With Blake we have a guy we can throw the ball to during these stretches to go inside and get buckets, much more efficiently than Dre ever could. Also think our p&r game will get better with this and I'm confident that Blake can hit the corner 3 at a decent clip. And then there's the attention he draws opening things up for other guys.

Been talked about a lot, but no way we even entertain the idea of getting a player like Blake without the injury/contract risk.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#56 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 1, 2018 6:15 am

https://audioboom.com/posts/6628656-nate-duncan-on-the-blake-griffin-trade-teams-trending-upward-legit-contenders-and-nba-trade-deadline-ep-54

Awesome podcast about the Blake trade with Nate Duncan.

They go over it in the beginning and about 15minutes in they go over teams in the worst shape for the future with rosters and caps obv the pistons get mentioned. Around 20minutes in they say that "no teams are offering their 1st round picks in trades this deadline". Other teams wising up as time goes on how to build a roster. Hopefully the next coach/GM a few years from now realizes the proper way to build a good roster.

The more time I spend thinking and researching this trade the worse it becomes. Literally ive now listened to over 5 diff podcast and read countless articles. This trade has epic fail written all over it.

I heard on a diff pod earlier comparing Blake to the pistons to Amare going to the knicks at this point in his career where his athletic ability is fading and his contract is HUGE. At first people thought the knicks had a steal but he fell right off the cliff there. We'll get this season hopefully before his next injury pops up. The ringer pod(not my fav) talks about how its obv he doesnt play above the rim anymore and has lost it. Really cant find anybody notable liking this trade for us.

Hoping we trade this guy for value next season is false hope. No way anybodys going to trade for this guy outside of a desperate SVG, his contract is just to big for anyone to want to go after. Clippers got lucky to find a guy on the hot seat.As Nate Duncan said in that pod 40mins in "Nobody seen Blake getting traded because everyone thought no one would want that contract".

Should of just unloaded Bradley for whatever we could get and shut down Jackson. We could of easily picked up Colin Sexton and had the pg of the future under team control for a decade. Mistakes were made!
reppin_the_847
Junior
And1: 41

Post#57 » by reppin_the_847 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:01 am

I'm excited enough that I am actually considering plunking down a few dollars to attend the Thursday night game against Memphis. This could be the start of something big. Cleveland is down in the dumps now with Kevin Love being injured. The time to exploit the East is now.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#58 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 1, 2018 8:50 am

Read on Twitter

Well the nba players like the clippers end of the trade, but hey at least Gary thinks its a good deal for both teams.
vic
Veteran

Post#59 » by vic » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:34 am

Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:There is a reason everyone is talking about the Blake Griffin trade and not the tobias trade. It's a stars league and we just traded for a star.

And that’s where I’m at with this. Like “F**k it, no matter what else happens the Pistons now have a guy who can put asses in seats and provide some highlight reel content.”

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

A smart GM would have done that thru the draft - Donovan Mitchell was right there. SVG is like a ship without a sail. No vision, just panic moves to win now.
Great temporary move, but overall bad vision & direction.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#60 » by Liqourish » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:10 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well the nba players like the clippers end of the trade, but hey at least Gary thinks its a good deal for both teams.

Gee, players from the two teams in front of the Pistons in the playoff window hope it doesn't work out? I change everything I thought about the trade now. :lol:

Return to Detroit Pistons