ImageImageImage

Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

What do you think of the Blake Griffin Trade?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 6, 2018 2:56 am

5 - Awesome! - All NBA!!!
29%
4 - Good - Give up less/get more
44%
3 - Meh - neutral
13%
2 - Ugh - Most likely we lost the trade
8%
1 - Wtf - fire Stan. This sets us back
6%

Total votes: 130

buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Re: Poll: Your feelings on the Blake Griffin Trade 

Post#61 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:07 am

Liqourish wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well the nba players like the clippers end of the trade, but hey at least Gary thinks its a good deal for both teams.

Gee, players from the two teams in front of the Pistons in the playoff window hope it doesn't work out? I change everything I thought about the trade now. :lol:

He asked them who won the trade, not who they hoped won the trade. If anything you'd figure they'd say the team in their conference they compete with got the better end and have respect for a player with career achievements like Blake. It just shows the players dont respect his game just like all the nba writers dont who're analyzing this trade dont respect it.

http://pr.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2018/01/2018-NBA-All-Star-Starter-West-Frontcourt-Final-Voting-Results.pdf

This is part of a cross post for the record.

"Look at the all star voting.
Blake had only 8 vote from Players, while Steven Adams got 27 for reference.
Blake is the 14th most voted frountcourt player from FANS, while Steven Adams almost doubled him in a quite small market which is his actual hometown.
Blake got 0/297 of available MEDIA votes"

Cant even get a bone thrown to him by his own media for a all star vote. Its hilarious to me how anybody could think picking this guy up is a good long term move. SVG has you drinking the koolaid if you believe this was a move in the best interest of the franchise.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#62 » by Liqourish » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:13 am

buzzkilloton wrote:
Liqourish wrote:
buzzkilloton wrote:
Read on Twitter

Well the nba players like the clippers end of the trade, but hey at least Gary thinks its a good deal for both teams.

Gee, players from the two teams in front of the Pistons in the playoff window hope it doesn't work out? I change everything I thought about the trade now. :lol:

He asked them who won the trade, not who they hoped won the trade. If anything you'd figure they'd say the team in their conference they compete with got the better end and have respect for a player with career achievements like Blake. It just shows the players dont respect his game just like all the nba writers dont who're analyzing this trade dont respect it.

http://pr.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/46/2018/01/2018-NBA-All-Star-Starter-West-Frontcourt-Final-Voting-Results.pdf

This is part of a cross post for the record.

"Look at the all star voting.
Blake had only 8 vote from Players, while Steven Adams got 27 for reference.
Blake is the 14th most voted frountcourt player from FANS, while Steven Adams almost doubled him in a quite small market which is his actual hometown.
Blake got 0/297 of available MEDIA votes"

Cant even get a bone thrown to him by his own media for a all star vote. Its hilarious to me how anybody could think picking this guy up is a good long term move. SVG has you drinking the koolaid if you believe this was a move in the best interest of the franchise.

:lol:
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#63 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:34 am

Valenti spot on about the pistons again. Hate agreeing with this guy but again hes right just like everybody in the sports media is right about this trade. 10min youtube easy listening.

As he said when people defend a trade with things like "ticket sales,excitement, make playoffs, you lose me I'm not that type of person."

"According to people in the league, their was very little interest in Blake Griffin, and his contract is a big reason"

"This is where a real owner a owners that clued in and knows basketball doesnt allow this. Basically you've allowed SVG who's got a year left on his contract to make a move thats going to dictate the next 4-5 years of your franchise. If and when SVG is fired, you'll now have to hire someone that has to navigate a roster that has 70million dollars locked up in 2 guys that nobody wants."

Put the koolaid down this is going to be ugly.
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#64 » by Liqourish » Thu Feb 1, 2018 1:13 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Valenti spot on about the pistons again. Hate agreeing with this guy but again hes right just like everybody in the sports media is right about this trade. 10min youtube easy listening.

As he said when people defend a trade with things like "ticket sales,excitement, make playoffs, you lose me I'm not that type of person."

"According to people in the league, their was very little interest in Blake Griffin, and his contract is a big reason"

"This is where a real owner a owners that clued in and knows basketball doesnt allow this. Basically you've allowed SVG who's got a year left on his contract to make a move thats going to dictate the next 4-5 years of your franchise. If and when SVG is fired, you'll now have to hire someone that has to navigate a roster that has 70million dollars locked up in 2 guys that nobody wants."

:lol:
qm22
General Manager
And1: 1,901

Post#65 » by qm22 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 2:44 pm

Awesome trade. Blake is definitely a max contract guy. He was a monster when healthy in the playoffs, some people don't realize he was purposefully lowkey during the regular season to try to prevent injuries. Before the trade I never thought he declined substantially, it was just a product of his situation. Think we can beat any team in the East if he is healthy and has good chemistry here, not that I'm up to the task of trying to convince others of this. There are a lot of uncertainties about how his style will fit and influence others, how Stan tries to use him.

Liked the trade at first and liked it much more upon seeing his attitude. Very pro and he seems pretty determined, and most of his teammates are excited to have him too. It's going to make it interesting from a basketball standpoint regardless of him being a dunking/highlight kind of guy.
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#66 » by bballnmike » Thu Feb 1, 2018 3:17 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Valenti spot on about the pistons again. Hate agreeing with this guy but again hes right just like everybody in the sports media is right about this trade. 10min youtube easy listening.

If Valenti said it, then I'm feeling more confident about the trade. Guy is a total clown
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#67 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 1, 2018 5:24 pm

People have been jaded by a decade of suck that I think it might cloud judgement. At worst Blake can become Zach Randolph in his prime if he has a devastating injury. At best he’s the Karl Malone clone in his prime. Sure he might miss a few games here or there, but unless he suffers a devastating injury unlike any he has since his rookie year, it’s a sound investment. He’s clearly set up his game to be a great player even after his athleticism is gone.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Montanabadboy
Junior
And1: 241

Post#68 » by Montanabadboy » Thu Feb 1, 2018 9:58 pm

ComboGuardCity wrote:People have been jaded by a decade of suck that I think it might cloud judgement. At worst Blake can become Zach Randolph in his prime if he has a devastating injury. At best he’s the Karl Malone clone in his prime. Sure he might miss a few games here or there, but unless he suffers a devastating injury unlike any he has since his rookie year, it’s a sound investment. He’s clearly set up his game to be a great player even after his athleticism is gone.

I was thinking how similar his situation is to Antonio McDyess. McD was a hyper athletic super stud very similar to Griffin when he first came into the League, then after 2 devastating knee injuries, he had to adapt his game. He added range, started to play beneath the rim, became a very cerebral player, and was cash money from the free throw line extended. Now Blake's injuries haven't been as severe as McDyess' and I don't think his athleticism has left him yet to that extent, but he already has more range than McDyess, and is much more of a playmaker on offense than McDyess ever was. All that said, I think we will see plenty of vintage BG for the rest of his contract.
Detroit vs. Everybody :lift: :lift: :lift:
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,081

Post#69 » by MrBigShot » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:08 pm

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and it's not often I say this, but this Valenti guy is just outright dumbass. 29/29 other teams would absolutely love to have Dre. The only real knocks on Dre were him being a liability because of his FT shooting, his defense, and his effort and he's addressed all of that on top of upping his efficiency and improving his decision making.

1 of the two must be true: either he doesn't watch pistons games, or he's legally blind.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#70 » by BDM22 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:11 pm

You really should have left out that last part, which is the dead giveaway that this dude is a moron.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#71 » by ComboGuardCity » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:12 pm

Montanabadboy wrote:
ComboGuardCity wrote:People have been jaded by a decade of suck that I think it might cloud judgement. At worst Blake can become Zach Randolph in his prime if he has a devastating injury. At best he’s the Karl Malone clone in his prime. Sure he might miss a few games here or there, but unless he suffers a devastating injury unlike any he has since his rookie year, it’s a sound investment. He’s clearly set up his game to be a great player even after his athleticism is gone.

I was thinking how similar his situation is to Antonio McDyess. McD was a hyper athletic super stud very similar to Griffin when he first came into the League, then after 2 devastating knee injuries, he had to adapt his game. He added range, started to play beneath the rim, became a very cerebral player, and was cash money from the free throw line extended. Now Blake's injuries haven't been as severe as McDyess' and I don't think his athleticism has left him yet to that extent, but he already has more range than McDyess, and is much more of a playmaker on offense than McDyess ever was. All that said, I think we will see plenty of vintage BG for the rest of his contract.

Unrelated but McDyess was so good pre injuries. He was prime Amare + defense. Would’ve been a first ballot HOFer.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#72 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:20 pm

Who is defending this trade with ticket sales, excitement, and a short term playoff run? That is a total straw man. People have said that as a fringe extra benefit and that's it. This trade is about the future as much as it is about winning now. SVG and any other competent basketball mind (apparently not many in the mainstream media) know that another piece needs to be added and this isn't a finished product. It's so funny how a superstar gets locked up long term on big money and it's a relief the franchise kept him but if he gets traded then all of sudden people are talking trash about trading for a big contract... The ONLY legit risk here is if Griffin suffers a serious injury, that's it. Other than that he will most likely be an elite player the rest of his contract and that gives us a very large window to add another elite piece. Also, who doesn't want Andre Drummond!? idiot...
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#73 » by mattao313 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:29 pm

Championships
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#74 » by bballnmike » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:44 pm

mattao313 wrote:

Preach Jalen!
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#75 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Feb 1, 2018 10:52 pm

mattao313 wrote:

One thing I would love for us to do is reverse the small ball trend, which has been good to a certain point but has also started to hurt the game in ways. If we eventually become a top tier team with big bully ball players we would prove how valuable real big men are. Although I acknowledge that the league has gotten slightly smaller and more perimeter oriented, I believe it has been way overblown too. There are a ton of great big men in the league and hopefully us having two can start a new trend. It would be very rewarding to manhandle our way to a series win over a team like BOS or WAS.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#76 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:08 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

One thing I would love for us to do is reverse the small ball trend, which has been good to a certain point but has also started to hurt the game in ways. If we eventually become a top tier team with big bully ball players we would prove how valuable real big men are. Although I acknowledge that the league has gotten slightly smaller and more perimeter oriented, I believe it has been way overblown too. There are a ton of great big men in the league and hopefully us having two can start a new trend. It would be very rewarding to manhandle our way to a series win over a team like BOS or WAS.

Its not really so much that there aren't good bigs in the league anymore, its more that the style and skillsets have changed more towards a perimeter game.

Yeah, there are still some great bigs in the league but the truly elite ones all have good perimeter games or are in the process on incorporating it into their arsenal.

KAT/Blake/Embiid/Porzingis/Davis/Cousins/Love
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,689

Post#77 » by Cowology » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:12 pm

#1. It certainly has the potential to blow up, but i like that we were aggressive and got the most talented player available, who is a legit #1 option.

Incremental growth only gets you so far, and tanking was never a realistic option. So we swung for the fences. Now we see how it plays out.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#78 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:23 pm

thesack12 wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

Its not really so much that there aren't good bigs in the league anymore, its more that the style and skillsets have changed more towards a perimeter game.

Yeah, there are still some great bigs in the league but the truly elite ones all have good perimeter games or are in the process on incorporating it into their arsenal.

Yup, and that is completely a good thing imo. Griffin also fits that mold too. Drummond is unique in that he can't shoot but instead he spreads the floor differently by initiating the offense at the top of the key, which pulls his man out. The stuff I don't like is just plugging in a random perimeter SF at PF and just throwing an Aron Baynes out there at center or something like that. Traditional defensive, low post, rebounding PFs who can also shoot is great. Just throwing 6'7 205lb Kelly Oubre at PF is not the way I want to the league to go. Or playing Kevin Love at center, which was thankfully and predictably disastrous for the Cavs.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,228

Post#79 » by thesack12 » Thu Feb 1, 2018 11:35 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:

Yup, and that is completely a good thing imo. Griffin also fits that mold too. Drummond is unique in that he can't shoot but instead he spreads the floor differently by initiating the offense at the top of the key, which pulls his man out. The stuff I don't like is just plugging in a random perimeter SF at PF and just throwing an Aron Baynes out there at center or something like that. Traditional defensive, low post, rebounding PFs who can also shoot is great. Just throwing 6'7 205lb Kelly Oubre at PF is not the way I want to the league to go. Or playing Kevin Love at center, which was thankfully and predictably disastrous for the Cavs.

Preach.

Another beauty of having 2 bigs like Blake and Dre is that they are both uber athletic. So when team run their small ball lineups, they won't get killed defensively against the quick shifty frontcourts. On the other end of the floor however Blake and Dre's low post games has potential to eat small ball lineups alive.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#80 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 2, 2018 12:03 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
mattao313 wrote:

The reverse the small ball trend has already been tried. The pelicans had better bigs(on both sides of the ball) in Davis and Cousins play together and it wasnt great at all. This is a guards league. Having good guards is the secret nowadays and everybody ITL knows it outside of a few posters around here and SVG/Gores.

The pistons have now became the clippers -sweet Lou.

Return to Detroit Pistons