ImageImageImage

Will the Pistons make the playoffs this year?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Will Pistons make playoffs this year?

Yes
48%
No
52%

Total votes: 66

ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Re: Will the Pistons make the playoffs this year? 

Post#81 » by ImHeisenberg » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:29 pm

Manocad wrote:[

Dan Gilbert owning the Pistons would be the best thing the team could ask for.

Well, I wouldn't go nearly that far. Dan Gilbert owning the Pistons would be better than Tom Gores owning the Pistons. That's about it.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#82 » by Manocad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:13 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Manocad wrote:[

Dan Gilbert owning the Pistons would be the best thing the team could ask for.

Well, I wouldn't go nearly that far. Dan Gilbert owning the Pistons would be better than Tom Gores owning the Pistons. That's about it.

I would, and I gave reasons why. What are your reasons, and if not Dan Gilbert who is the better option?
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#83 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 am

Manocad wrote:I would, and I gave reasons why. What are your reasons, and if not Dan Gilbert who is the better option?

Dan Gilbert created a communication barrier between himself and the greatest player of this generation, and helped create what is seemingly reported as a toxic culture within the management of the Cavs (not even a recent development, as he's blown through half a dozen GM's in his tenure).

The fact that he's also like Gores, in that he always wants to "win now", despite the obvious choice being tanking. The only things that turned the tide were the incredibly improbable winning 3 out of 4 lotteries, and using that to draft/trade for the talent to attract LeBron James back. If the tides had turned, and the Cavs never had LBJ, Gilbert who probably be recognized as a joke of an owner. But, dumb luck rewarded him.

Would I take him over an absentee, clueless owner in Gores? Sure. But, I'd be remiss if I didn't recognize that Gilbert is no Peter Holt.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#84 » by Manocad » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:33 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:
Manocad wrote:I would, and I gave reasons why. What are your reasons, and if not Dan Gilbert who is the better option?

Dan Gilbert created a communication barrier between himself and the greatest player of this generation, and helped create what is seemingly reported as a toxic culture within the management of the Cavs (not even a recent development, as he's blown through half a dozen GM's in his tenure).

The fact that he's also like Gores, in that he always wants to "win now", despite the obvious choice being tanking. The only things that turned the tide were the incredibly improbable winning 3 out of 4 lotteries, and using that to draft/trade for the talent to attract LeBron James back. If the tides had turned, and the Cavs never had LBJ, Gilbert who probably be recognized as a joke of an owner. But, dumb luck rewarded him.

Would I take him over an absentee, clueless owner in Gores? Sure. But, I'd be remiss if I didn't recognize that Gilbert is no Peter Holt.

Yeah, Lebron played no part in the toxicity of that relationship. And the Cavs look like they worked the trade deadline pretty well. I don't see how any owner who shows that he truly cares not only about the team but the community as well would ever be viewed as a joke of an owner. And when discussing the Spurs' extended and continued success I've never heard ANYONE say, "That's because of Peter Holt being a great owner." They drafted Duncan, Parker and Ginobili who managed to all stay not only relatively healthy and play long careers, but stay loyal to the team and each other. All while being coached by Pop who can easily be considered one of the greatest NBA coaches ever. Did ownership make some good decisions? Sure. But there was a whole lot of good fortune in there as well.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#85 » by Spider156 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:30 am

ImHeisenberg wrote:

If you think about it, ALL championship teams have gotten lucky somehow someway. People on here think development is the answer. It's not. That's the answer for longevity not for winning championships. Luck is the #1 way to win and it's NOT in the lottery. Why do I say that? Check out basically more than half the league. I can name teams and keep naming team that have built off the draft and have gotten nowhere far. Orlando, Washington, New Orleans, Sacremento, and it goes on and on. Celtics had to get lucky with Isiah Thomas. They had to get lucky with getting all those first picks. Warriors are lucky they got Curry at 7 and Klay late lottery, green who was supposed to come to us cuz I went to Dumars house and he had Green's jersey there. They're close family friends. That's luck. Cleveland had to get 3/4 first round picks and managed to botch 2 of them, 1 left, and other traded away. I can keep going and going. I want to know what others teams are doing that's better than us. Toronto hasn't done jack ****, washington builds off the draft look where they are now talking about not needing Wall. I mean if they lose Wall then what's the point? I just really don't understand how people think about managing teams and how to get to contention. News flash! We got lucky with Ben Wallace and Chauncey! We got lucky with Drummond and trading for Blake. Every contender has gotten lucky and that's the bottom line. It could be through Lottery, free agency, trading, any way possible. But luck has everything to do it and the lottery is NOT the best way to do it. Spurs traded for Leonard and he was picked at 13 or 14 by pacers. You don't need Top 5. Bucks got lucky with Giannis, tall lanky greek player. Daye was also tall and talented. Bad luck. All this is luck. I'd love to get lucky with Tom Brady getting picked last lmao. In my opinion, we are doing a fantastic job trying to compete. It's just bad luck with Jackson's injury. It happens
Defense wins championships
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,069

Post#86 » by MrBigShot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:24 am

You definitely need luck, and lots of it, but it goes deeper than that. It's not mere luck that GS managed to put together the core of a championship team with two 7th picks, the 11th pick and the 35th pick. They legitimately did a great job in the draft and their scouting department & GM deserve credit for that.

The lottery can be a great way to be rebuild (and successful rebuild doesn't necessarily mean championship) or it can end up being a crappy way if you continually draft players and then give them away and do a crappy job of developing them like the Magic.

When it comes to the draft I think SVG flat out overvalues character & shooting and undervalues potential. On top of holding young players on too tight a leash.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#87 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:31 am

Listening to Karsh and Anderson got me thinking why go for the playoffs? Were like 2.5% to keep our pick, which is 1 in 40. 1 in 40 is better then the chance we got to win a first round series vs the raps/celts/cavs. Also not saying I believe in this theory BUT if the league were to rig the lotto the pistons would be the ideal team to rig it for. 1 in 40 theirs a chance baby.

As Karsh and Anderson said Blake sprains a ankle we fall to 8 or 9 in the lotto the standings maybe some riggaments boom. Hit that lucky lotto ball next thing you know we come into next season with some real hope. New Arena is selling out and excitement for the future. Thats really the best case we can hope for.

Hope is not lost yet!

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#88 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:22 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Listening to Karsh and Anderson got me thinking why go for the playoffs? Were like 2.5% to keep our pick, which is 1 in 40. 1 in 40 is better then the chance we got to win a first round series vs the raps/celts/cavs. Also not saying I believe in this theory BUT if the league were to rig the lotto the pistons would be the ideal team to rig it for. 1 in 40 theirs a chance baby.

As Karsh and Anderson said Blake sprains a ankle we fall to 8 or 9 in the lotto the standings maybe some riggaments boom. Hit that lucky lotto ball next thing you know we come into next season with some real hope. New Arena is selling out and excitement for the future. Thats really the best case we can hope for.

Hope is not lost yet!

How did i ever know your spending your time listening to 97.1 with a lot of Mike Valenti I'm sure.

It's alright I like Valenti but he's backtracked on so many things throughout the years regarding Pistons and just basketball in general. I would love to call up there one day and watch him have a meltdown calling him out on some of BS.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#89 » by buzzkilloton » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Oh i listen to all the basketball stuff. 97.1,all the espn love Lowe obv, Nate Duncan, realgm, mlive, the ringer, some random guys. I I like to follow the 97.1 guys to keep up with what the local dudes are saying at home since im outside the states year round. I only listen to their youtube clips not the show. I'm not a big Valenti fan but do like his takes on the pistons lately. I've always loved some Karsch and Anderson though.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#90 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:25 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Oh i listen to all the basketball stuff. 97.1,all the espn love Lowe obv, Nate Duncan, realgm, mlive, the ringer, some random guys. I I like to follow the 97.1 guys to keep up with what the local dudes are saying at home since im outside the states year round. I only listen to their youtube clips not the show. I'm not a big Valenti fan but do like his takes on the pistons lately. I've always loved some Karsch and Anderson though.

I just can't stand Valenti's ego anymore. He has such a personal issue with all the franchises because none of them want anything to do with him but they keep coming back to the station cause it's really the only local radio to get any sports talk or games out of.

I just thought it was BS the way he pumps his chest still about cornering SVG in his studio with questions and rants he knows no head coach can respond too without losing his job or the locker room. It just felt like he was acting like a ego maniac disrespectful fat kid.

I thinks he's smart enough and I actually share a lot of his views on how to rebuild a team but he lets his hate for all these Detroit franchises get in the way of actual productive talk.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#91 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:03 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Listening to Karsh and Anderson got me thinking why go for the playoffs? Were like 2.5% to keep our pick, which is 1 in 40. 1 in 40 is better then the chance we got to win a first round series vs the raps/celts/cavs. Also not saying I believe in this theory BUT if the league were to rig the lotto the pistons would be the ideal team to rig it for. 1 in 40 theirs a chance baby.

Hope is not lost yet!

this is what I'm hoping for but we've been burned in the past (2014 top 8 protected pick, sitting at 8 and getting jumped over by cavs only to lose our pick to charlotte) so I don't want to get my hopes up. hopefully this is the year but not counting on it.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#92 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:33 pm

DCintheD wrote:

Hope is not lost yet!

this is what I'm hoping for but we've been burned in the past (2014 top 8 protected pick, sitting at 8 and getting jumped over by cavs only to lose our pick to charlotte) so I don't want to get my hopes up. hopefully this is the year but not counting on it.

The only real way you would hold a chance would be too lose out and try to get in the top 10 to do the unthinkable we couldn't even do when we wanted too all those years and hit the jackpot into the top 3 with those odds.

But even to get to the unthinkable part of beating the odds right inside the top 10 you still have to find a way to even lose out enough to get there at this point.

So basically your rooting for something so unlikely it's crazy at the expense of no playoffs and gifting LAC a top 10 pick instead of a mid 1st. I mean maybe it's just me but looks like a crazy option to concern yourself with.

Just root for the playoffs and start scouting next years draft or something where we actually have a draft pick.
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#93 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:54 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:

Hope is not lost yet!

The only real way you would hold a chance would be too lose out and try to get in the top 10 to do the unthinkable we couldn't even do when we wanted too all those years and hit the jackpot into the top 3 with those odds.

But even to get to the unthinkable part of beating the odds right inside the top 10 you still have to find a way to even lose out enough to get there at this point.

So basically your rooting for something so unlikely it's crazy at the expense of no playoffs and gifting LAC a top 10 pick instead of a mid 1st. I mean maybe it's just me but looks like a crazy option to concern yourself with.

Just root for the playoffs and start scouting next years draft or something where we actually have a draft pick.

of our remaining 25 games, I see 11-12 wins as our ceiling. that won't be good enough. we'll be giving the clippers the 12th pick, unless we get some 1999 charlotte hornets luck. they jumped from 13 to 3 that year
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#94 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:00 pm

DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:this is what I'm hoping for but we've been burned in the past (2014 top 8 protected pick, sitting at 8 and getting jumped over by cavs only to lose our pick to charlotte) so I don't want to get my hopes up. hopefully this is the year but not counting on it.

of our remaining 25 games, I see 11-12 wins as our ceiling. that won't be good enough. we'll be giving the clippers the 12th pick, unless we get some 1999 charlotte hornets luck. they jumped from 13 to 3 that year

I agree that pick is most likely 12 right now or 15 if we make the playoffs. Don't see a avenue to make that pick less than 12,with a avenue closing on making it higher then 15.

Those odds of us jumping from 12 to top 3 are just so crazy it's hard to take serious enough to get behind. That would be incredible but man feels like with our luck there's a better chance of the team behind us at 13 leaping us.

I think the only realistic avenue left is hoping for chemistry and a playoff win or two for the young guys. I legit mean that's our best odds and most beneficial thing to accomplishing anything out of the rest of the season now
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:10 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: The only real way you would hold a chance would be too lose out and try to get in the top 10 to do the unthinkable we couldn't even do when we wanted too all those years and hit the jackpot into the top 3 with those odds.

I agree that pick is most likely 12 right now or 15 if we make the playoffs. Don't see a avenue to make that pick less than 12,with a avenue closing on making it higher then 15.

Those odds of us jumping from 12 to top 3 are just so crazy it's hard to take serious enough to get behind. That would be incredible but man feels like with our luck there's a better chance of the team behind us at 13 leaping us.

I think the only realistic avenue left is hoping for chemistry and a playoff win or two for the young guys. I legit mean that's our best odds and most beneficial thing to accomplishing anything out of the rest of the season now

:lol: @ the team behind us leaping us. I can see that happen for sure. As for what's more beneficial for the young guys, SVG being gone this offseason would be more beneficial than a playoff win or 2. He is toxic to their development. I'd take the chance of a top 3 pick over SVG being retained. Regardless its all moot since everyone is free to root for whatever they want. We have no control over anything.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#96 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:19 pm

DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:of our remaining 25 games, I see 11-12 wins as our ceiling. that won't be good enough. we'll be giving the clippers the 12th pick, unless we get some 1999 charlotte hornets luck. they jumped from 13 to 3 that year

:lol: @ the team behind us leaping us. I can see that happen for sure. As for what's more beneficial for the young guys, SVG being gone this offseason would be more beneficial than a playoff win or 2. He is toxic to their development. I'd take the chance of a top 3 pick over SVG being retained. Regardless its all moot since everyone is free to root for whatever they want. We have no control over anything.

That also depends on what the odds are SVG would actually get fired By Tom Gores who signs his checks and gives him the ok to take on a max Contract through trade.

I think Gores knows playoffs aren't guaranteed or at least wasn't a big concern of his while making this trade cause I honestly thought we wouldn't even win as many as we did right after the move. So I actually thought playoffs were less likely at the time of the trade as I do know that they are just 1.5 back again.
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#97 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:32 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: I agree that pick is most likely 12 right now or 15 if we make the playoffs. Don't see a avenue to make that pick less than 12,with a avenue closing on making it higher then 15.

That also depends on what the odds are SVG would actually get fired By Tom Gores who signs his checks and gives him the ok to take on a max Contract through trade.

I think Gores knows playoffs aren't guaranteed or at least wasn't a big concern of his while making this trade cause I honestly thought we wouldn't even win as many as we did right after the move. So I actually thought playoffs were less likely at the time of the trade as I do know that they are just 1.5 back again.

That move was made for the playoffs this year. No question. I'd like to believe Gores would be very disappointed if they don't make it, leading to much greater odds SVG is gone. If they sneak in, SVG is all but guaranteed to stay as coach at the very least. This team doesn't need that. The sooner he's gone the better. I'll take the odds of a brighter future that no playoffs will bring versus the false hope it'll bring.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#98 » by MotownMadness » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:34 pm

DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote: :lol: @ the team behind us leaping us. I can see that happen for sure. As for what's more beneficial for the young guys, SVG being gone this offseason would be more beneficial than a playoff win or 2. He is toxic to their development. I'd take the chance of a top 3 pick over SVG being retained. Regardless its all moot since everyone is free to root for whatever they want. We have no control over anything.

That move was made for the playoffs this year. No question. I'd like to believe Gores would be very disappointed if they don't make it, leading to much greater odds SVG is gone. If they sneak in, SVG is all but guaranteed to stay as coach at the very least. This team doesn't need that. The sooner he's gone the better. I'll take the odds of a brighter future that no playoffs will bring versus the false hope it'll bring.

The move was made towards the playoffs but if he doesn't understand that was far from a guarantee even taking on Griffins deal then we are in bigger trouble then even you think.

If he was even debating firing SVG I don't think he would have allowed him to make a trade for Blake while riding a 8 game losing streak. He would have been put on freeze like Dumars as a lame duck for the rest of the year.
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by DCintheD » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:36 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
DCintheD wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: That also depends on what the odds are SVG would actually get fired By Tom Gores who signs his checks and gives him the ok to take on a max Contract through trade.

The move was made towards the playoffs but if he doesn't understand that was far from a guarantee even taking on Griffins deal then we are in bigger trouble then even you think.

This is my fear my friend. I've said it before and i'll say it again, Gores is oblivious on the NBA and delusional in his trust and decisions. Only hope is Arn Tellem being smart and influencing him positively.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#100 » by vic » Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:49 pm

No the Pistons won't make the playoffs in the East but Donovan Mitchell will carry his team to the playoffs in the West.

SVG will be fired, and hopefully Gores will make Arn Tellem President, who will make Chauncey Billups GM, who will Keep Jeff Bower as Assistant GM and hire David Fizdale as coach.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!

Return to Detroit Pistons