ImageImageImage

We overpaid for Blake.

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

We overpaid for Blake. 

Post#1 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm

The truth is, Clippers were desperate to move on from Blake given his injury history, contract, and seeing they were not contenders the next few years.

NBA teams almost all held onto first round picks. Lots of decent players were out there but teams were refusing to give up firsts. We gave up two very solid (even if Bradley wasn't good for us) players and Harris is a much cheaper, more efficient on offense option than Blake.

We at the very least could have either gotten to keep our 2nd, if not gave up 2 seconds and keep our first. Or we could have make them take Leuer instead of Boban since we were absorbing so much salary from Blake.

We overpaid which is why the Clippers jumped on that deal several days in advance of the deadline. We were by far the highest bidders for him.
aad
Starter
And1: 466

Re: We overpaid for Blake. 

Post#2 » by aad » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:08 pm

He look slow and washed up clippers won that trade
GreekAlex
Veteran
And1: 1,257

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:09 pm

The honeymoon is over lol
bstein14
RealGM

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:14 pm

I still think Blake is a good player and borderline all-star but you can say the same thing about a younger, healthier Tobias. Tobias + Bradley and a second or two was more than fair enough value considering the contract.
Pugz
Rookie
And1: 168

Post#5 » by Pugz » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:16 pm

this was quick
mercury
Head Coach
And1: 679

Post#6 » by mercury » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Not gonna disagree... he is a better defender and passer... hopefully his shot comes around.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#7 » by MotownMadness » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:44 pm

He's clearly all around skilled but that old 20 and 10 type of inside big is gone. He can't shoot the 3 this much though. Take it inside and use your passing skills at least.

He's no longer a superstar type but a AllStar level multi skilled big
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#8 » by Kilo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:45 pm

Overpay how? Bradley wasn't going to resign here. LAC didn't get any FRP offer without taking on longer term salary for him so they kept him to let him walk themselves. We let Bradley walk and we' re still capped out regardless. So this is Harris and FRP for Blake Griffin IF Gores is willing to spend the tax the next two seasons.

This mistake is Stan not addressing the PG spot for six weeks when Reggie went down and then goes Jameer Nelson.

Griffin's contract will be ugly at the end, but we'll be in total rebuild by then if that is the case.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#9 » by Laimbeer » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:54 pm

What would realgm be without overreaction threads?
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#10 » by joeposh » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 pm

Laimbeer wrote:What would realgm be without overreaction threads?

Seriously, people should generally avoid posting in the heat of a game. It's rarely a good look.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#11 » by Kilo » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Blake Griffin becomes JSmoove with SVG's coaching.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,551

Post#12 » by pistonsbball » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:30 pm

Lol.

Dude's physically and mentally exhausted. He'll come out refreshed after the all star break.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#13 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:41 am

No crap we overpaid. I said it the entire time it was a awful trade. The salary cap is a thing. Blake makes a ton of money and we've got him for 5 years. SVG screwed us hardcore. Theirs a reason Jerry West didnt wait till the deadline to move Blake. Multiple sports writers said their sources told him they thought Blakes contract couldnt be moved.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#14 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:04 am

Kilo wrote:Overpay how? Bradley wasn't going to resign here. LAC didn't get any FRP offer without taking on longer term salary for him so they kept him to let him walk themselves. We let Bradley walk and we' re still capped out regardless. So this is Harris and FRP for Blake Griffin IF Gores is willing to spend the tax the next two seasons.

This mistake is Stan not addressing the PG spot for six weeks when Reggie went down and then goes Jameer Nelson.

Griffin's contract will be ugly at the end, but we'll be in total rebuild by then if that is the case.

We overpaid by giving up a lotto pick in a stacked draft and taking on one of the worst contracts ITL. Bradley doesnt matter at all. Blakes contract is a pure negative asset. Its not overreacting its just Blake isnt worth a 5 year supermax.

Theirs a reason why every notable sports writer/podcast I listened said it was a awful trade for the pistons. Lotto teams shouldnt be trading draft picks to cap themselves out to go after a 1st round playoff berth. Its a bad move. You need to get players on cheap contracts to build around. People around here who think SVG and Gores out smarted the great Jerry west crack me up.

The only team in the market for Blake was the pistons. Thats because SVG was on the hot seat. Its been reported multiple times that nobody thought Blakes contract could be moved.
bstein14
RealGM

Post#15 » by bstein14 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:43 am

Tobias + Leuer + Boban + 1st + 2nd would have been fine with me.

or

Tobias + Bradley + Boban + 2nd rounder would have been fine.

We overpaid by either the lottery pick or by trading away Bradley instead of Leuer.

Bradley might have to settle for a reasonable 4 year $36 - $40 million type deal this offseason he isn't going to get the HUGE contract we all previously thought he would.
JD43320
Veteran
And1: 774

Post#16 » by JD43320 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:53 am

Problem I see with Blake's production the last few games is due to lazy coaching. They aren't running any plays for him. We're either just having him iso at the 3 point line or dumping the ball into the post. Any movement he does is with the ball. It's stupid. Try and get him good looks. Try and get him in a mismatch. Try something ANYTHING beyond here is the ball do it all yourself. It's especially difficult to do that when he has at most 2 shooters on the court with him (Bullock and Tolly). SVG is making it super easy for teams to defend us. Pack the paint and stay within a 10 foot radius of Bullock and Tolly and you're set.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant

Post#17 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Feb 12, 2018 2:59 am

That lotto pick would of been top 10 for sure. That would of been the pg of the future C.Sexton or a one of the 2 Bridges on the wings.

Then with the remaining money we could of signed a Tyreke Evans/Will Barton style player. I personally wasnt a Bradley fan but he would of been affordable if we wanted to go in that direction. KCP and Wilson Chandler also would be be available at much cheaper costs.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,080

Post#18 » by MrBigShot » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:00 am

Way too early to say that, and the pick isn't necessarily going to be a lotto pick. I liked the Bradley addition a lot and he got off to a fantastic start, but he cooled off (especially after the injury) and he's not doing well so far in LA thus far. His advanced stats & efficiency with us were downright awful. I liked Bradley's demeanor and motor though and tbh I'm pretty bummed that he and Reggie got injured...I really liked the chemistry our group had to start the season and wonder where we'd be now if that hadn't happened.

One thing I will say is that Blake is nowhere near the athlete that he used to be. He's got like....maybe 60% of the explosiveness he had as a rookie? I think he relies a bit too much on brute force in the post and would benefit a lot from trying to practice one or two go-to moves (cant spin move into layup everytime). Ironically Dre could probably benefit from shifting more towards this kind of style in the post since he's so damn huge and has a tremendous wingspan.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#19 » by vic » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:04 am

SVG gotta go. He messes everything up. I think Bower could be GM and get another coach.

Why start dumping in the post when the motion offense has been working all year?

Give Blake a couple but other than that why change everything for the worse?

This trade was a bad move long term, but it had potential short term. The only way to mess it up is bad coaching, which is what we have. We have a coach that can't figure out what to do until he talks to his brother and other smarter coaches in the summertime.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#20 » by coordinator0 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:28 am

bstein14 wrote:Tobias + Leuer + Boban + 1st + 2nd would have been fine with me.

or

Tobias + Bradley + Boban + 2nd rounder would have been fine.

We overpaid by either the lottery pick or by trading away Bradley instead of Leuer.

Bradley might have to settle for a reasonable 4 year $36 - $40 million type deal this offseason he isn't going to get the HUGE contract we all previously thought he would.

Though to be fair Bradley wasn't even worth that with the way he was playing on both ends for Detroit. Dude was bad.

Return to Detroit Pistons