ImageImageImage

Pistons Off-Season

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Pistons Off-Season 

Post#1 » by NYG » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:14 pm

Not a Pistons fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Pistons are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Re: Pistons Off-Season 

Post#2 » by vic » Sat Apr 7, 2018 5:58 pm

This board is at like 20% activity until we have a new GM
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 107

Post#3 » by pistons4ever » Sat Apr 7, 2018 6:53 pm

Sign jj as free agent, trade leuer for O'Quinn and get somehow d. Valentine

Drummond O'Quinn Moreland
Griffin Tolliver
Bullock Johnson
Redick Kennard
Jackson valentine smith

A full off-season together and we are a top 6 team in the east even with Jackson injured
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#4 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:05 pm

The value of Piston players is low. We really don't know what this team can do with some time together, provided Reggie and Blake can stay relatively healthy. It's not a perfect option, but giving this thing a chance next season is probably our best alternative.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#5 » by vege » Sat Apr 7, 2018 8:05 pm

NYG wrote:Not a Pistons fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Pistons are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

Gores won't do a full rebuild, SVG is very likely getting fired and we should have a new GM and possibly a new Coach. We will only know after those things happen.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#6 » by Crymson » Sat Apr 7, 2018 10:45 pm

pistons4ever wrote:Sign jj as free agent, trade leuer for O'Quinn and get somehow d. Valentine

Drummond O'Quinn Moreland
Griffin Tolliver
Bullock Johnson
Redick Kennard
Jackson valentine smith

A full off-season together and we are a top 6 team in the east even with Jackson injured

So New York takes $20 million of a bad contract in Leuer after forcing O'Quinn at gunpoint to accept his player option, Redick accepts marked underpayment at the MLE for an unsuccessful franchise, we somehow acquire a struggling Denzel Valentine to play at a position he isn't fit for in the NBA, Tolliver decides to take a discount and re-sign at $5 million, and finally Tom Gores happily pays close to $10 million in luxury tax for a team that can't hope to compete.

I don't see it happening.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#7 » by ImHeisenberg » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:26 am

NYG wrote:Not a Pistons fan, but trying to get a feel for what the Pistons are trying to do this off-season if some one or a few of you combined could let me know a detailed breakdown of what they’re likely to do this off-season.

The Pistons will do what they've been doing every summer since Tom Gores took over, going all-in to "win now", spending every available dollar on mediocre players that won't move the needle. Then selling fans on BS things like Reggie and Blake's health making this team special.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,609

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Sun Apr 8, 2018 3:55 am

Nothing to do now but stand pat in terms of player personnel. We're sort of stuck right now.

A full rebuild isn't even possible with Blake Griffin's contract probably requiring us to GIVE UP assets to remove from our payroll, despite the fact that we gave up assets to rescue the Clippers from the abysmal mistake they made giving Blake that contract.
pistons4ever
Junior
And1: 107

Post#9 » by pistons4ever » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:24 am

In a lineup valentine Redick Bullock griffin Drummond valentine would be the perfekt fit at the photo position..... And to say he is not made to be a pg in this league.... Nobody thought he was at college until he gets the chance in his final year
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,307

Post#10 » by buzzkilloton » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:37 am

Fig were not going to rebuild and were going to be all in this season regardless I really like the idea of picking up Reddick. Hes a nice fit. Thing is hes playing really well lately so im not sure if hes going to be to expensive or not. To me hes the top end of realistic free agent signings we can hope for. Though he may prefer a bench role on a contender then a starting role here.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#11 » by Canadafan » Sun Apr 8, 2018 12:58 pm

RJ, Blake, Dre and Bullock are more than likely staying.
Everyone else and everything else is available
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,095

Post#12 » by The Moose » Sun Apr 8, 2018 5:10 pm

According to this article, we tried to trade for Paul George, Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker before ending up with Blake. :banghead:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/04/08/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy-blake-griffin-tom-gores/493092002/
NYG
RealGM
And1: 2,546

Post#13 » by NYG » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:49 am

Laimbeer wrote:The value of Piston players is low. We really don't know what this team can do with some time together, provided Reggie and Blake can stay relatively healthy. It's not a perfect option, but giving this thing a chance next season is probably our best alternative.

What incentive would Detroit add to a Eric Gordon for Jon Leuer swap?
Joe Berry
Veteran
And1: 418

Post#14 » by Joe Berry » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:10 am

The Moose wrote:According to this article, we tried to trade for Paul George, Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker before ending up with Blake. :banghead:

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nba/pistons/2018/04/08/detroit-pistons-stan-van-gundy-blake-griffin-tom-gores/493092002/

This is so stupid. It's the late Dumars approach all over again - just collect talent at all costs, worry about fit later. Gores & SVG were so desperate to add a 'star' and instead continuing trying to trade for a PG or wing they end up with Griffin, another big man, one of the worst contracts in the league who can't even stay healthy.
The Pistons are a terrible franchise.
princeofpalace
RealGM
And1: 1,636

Post#15 » by princeofpalace » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 am

Joe Berry wrote:
The Moose wrote:According to this article, we tried to trade for Paul George, Kyrie Irving and Kemba Walker before ending up with Blake. :banghead:

This is so stupid. It's the late Dumars approach all over again - just collect talent at all costs, worry about fit later. Gores & SVG were so desperate to add a 'star' and instead continuing trying to trade for a PG or wing they end up with Griffin, another big man, one of the worst contracts in the league who can't even stay healthy.
The Pistons are a terrible franchise.

Atleast if we had Dumars we would be drafting talent and not busts. People wanted to give no credit to Joe for taking Monroe, Drummond, KCP, etc.. And we have Stan out here drafting Kennard over Mitchell...

I have lost all interest in this team and I imagine it will continue that way with Gores and SVG at the helm
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 13,989

Post#16 » by Laimbeer » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:41 am

NYG wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:The value of Piston players is low. We really don't know what this team can do with some time together, provided Reggie and Blake can stay relatively healthy. It's not a perfect option, but giving this thing a chance next season is probably our best alternative.

What incentive would Detroit add to a Eric Gordon for Jon Leuer swap?

Probably not enough. I wouldn't throw a first.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#17 » by ImHeisenberg » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:15 pm

princeofpalace wrote:I have lost all interest in this team and I imagine it will continue that way with Gores and SVG at the helm

Yeah, my interest is at an all time low. I have zero faith with those two people making the decisions on where this team will go. Just the Blake trade should have doused any positive expectations in terms of decision making.
Finn McCool
Senior
And1: 270

Post#18 » by Finn McCool » Sat Apr 28, 2018 12:40 pm

Laimbeer wrote:
Probably not enough. I wouldn't throw a first.

I hope that I don't see another first round pick traded until we're destined for our third straight Playoff appearance and need a player to be the last piece of a contending run at the Finals. Trading First rounders while we're still lottery bound is often just a bad decision from a desperate PBO.

BTW... when da phukk is this meeting with Gores, did it get pushed back another week?

Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Post#19 » by Canadafan » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:37 pm

So in all seriousness. And no smart ass comments lol cause I just can't handle my life as a pistons fan lately. Especially watching Mitchell last night look like prime DWade. :banghead: :cry:
We have the non tax payers MLE which is $8.something correct?
We also have the TPE from the Clippers trade that can be used until next year when 1 year after the trade is done with. That's like $8.something. Correct?
I know I know using both of these puts us into luxury tax but who cares Its not our money. Plus we aren't technically in the tax until next season ends which gives us at the deadline to dump player/s to get under the tax. Once again I know I know that it will be hard to dump someone without attaching an asset but once again I don't care.
I'm just curious.... What are the dollar amounts of those exemptions and what's our best case scenario for adding 2 or possible 3 more players if we divvied up the MLE?
I know most want to blow it up but it seems likely that SVG might be coming back :banghead: and Gores might be willing to try and add to this roster to make a run here for a year or two.
Best case scenario here kids. Whatcha got?
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 450

Post#20 » by Crymson » Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:44 pm

Canadafan wrote:We have the non tax payers MLE which is $8.something correct?

Yes, but the Pistons will be capped at the projected $129m Apron if they use more than the Taxpayer MLE (about $5.7m). They're currently at around $118m. So spending the full MLE will mean having only about $2 million left over for anything else, and the Pistons will be left with literally zero flexibility beyond that; the hard cap cannot be exceeded under any circumstances.

We also have the TPE from the Clippers trade that can be used until next year when 1 year after the trade is done with. That's like $8.something. Correct?

$7 million. Again: if the team spends more than the taxpayer MLE, they'll be hard-capped and that trade exception will be effectively useless. Trade exceptions are in any event really only of use in trading a pick or some cash for a player; the Pistons have no space and no disposable assets, so this is largely worthless. At best, they can use it this summer to nab a player whom another team doesn't want anymore. That'd spare them the need to use the full MLE, but I doubt they'll get anyone particularly good in the bargain.

I'm just curious.... What are the dollar amounts of those exemptions and what's our best case scenario for adding 2 or possible 3 more players if we divvied up the MLE?

$7 million for the trade exception, a bit short of $9 million for the MLE (as projected). Our best-case scenario is bad. Barring some amazingly fancy trade footwork---somewhere in the realm of the near-impossible--the organization has no room to maneuver. Will the Pistons look for a viable backup center? A viable backup small forward? A viable STARTING small forward? Will they keep Tolliver, who's twice as good as Leuer? They can do two of the above, tops, and even that will require compromises.

We're in a bad situation. Very bad, and with no clear way out beyond simply waiting a few seasons.

I know most want to blow it up but it seems likely that SVG might be coming back :banghead: and Gores might be willing to try and add to this roster to make a run here for a year or two.
Best case scenario here kids. Whatcha got?

Gores IS the cause of the current problems. In part because of the incompetents he's employed in the front office, but in part because he's a meddlesome fool who has no understanding of the NBA. He's been pushing a win-now agenda since he arrived, and that culminated with the Griffin trade---a titantically senseless move for which he was almost undoubtedly responsible.

The hilarious, predictable irony is that this organization would almost undoubtedly be in a much better position to win but for his impatience for it to win sooner.

I understand that you've embarked upon a rhetorical exercise here. But we're dealing with an organization that has lost its mind.

Return to Detroit Pistons