Pistons Off-Season

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Re: Pistons Off-Season 

Post#81 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 21, 2018 12:12 pm

Jcrawfordcross wrote:
DCintheD wrote:Wonder if we could get Atlanta to do a Reggie for Schroder swap. Schroder's got one extra year on his deal. I like Schroder a lot more than Reggie plus he's 3 years younger with better health and upside.

Schroder for Reggie
or
Schroder, Bazemore for Reggie, LG, Leuer.

Atlanta is blatantly tanking with the firing of Budenhozer. Those are great tank trades for them.

I did bring this trade up right around deadline as the 8th seed was somewhat attainable at the time. From a pure talent perspective, it definitely is an upgrade, considering RJ's injury history. Sure Schroder has a pending legal case but he is the superior player, IMO. The only problem is he is a WORSE shooter than RJ and is pretty much ineffective without the ball. Without looking at advanced metrics, I am assuming they are going to be similar defensively. All that to say, I think I would make the swap...

Baze vs LG and Leuer - It's essentially the same financially but ATL would have the edge in flexibility as they'd have ~16 mil a year split into two contracts. Bazemore probably has the higher value despite coming off a season ending bone bruise injury (tankathon). I'd do it.

Schroder/Ish
Bazemore/Kennard
Bullock/SJ
Blake/Ellenson
Drummond

We'd still be in cap hell for the next 5 years and still lack the floor spacing we need but that lineup is more intriguing than what we are rolling out right now....

I don't think Atlanta does either swap. Schroder, for all his warts, is healthy and had a pretty good year. Reggie's health is a huge concern. Bazemore is meh and overpaid but he's more useful than LG and Leuer.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#82 » by Neptune » Mon May 21, 2018 3:48 pm

ducler wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r4bcv7

Somebody can dream, right?

4 teams trade between Hawks, Magic, Spurs and Pistons:

ATL sends: Kent Bazemore and Dennis Schroder
ATL gets: Patty Mills, Terrence Ross, Langston Galloway and Henry Ellenson
Why for ATL: they get rid of Bazemore's contract and of a malcontent player in Schroder. They get a vet PG starter who could become a backup when needed and a starter SF/SG who could slide to 6th man when the time comes. They also get a vet SG and a PF/C prospect who can do well with a change of scenery.

ORL sends: Evan Fournier, Nikola Vucevic, Terrence Ross and Jonathon Simmons
ORL gets: Kent Bazemore, Reggie Jackson, Jon Leuer and Luke Kennard
Why for ORL: They get a starting PG and a young SG to build around plus 2 solid vets to work with. Then they draft a C and retain Gordon.

SAS sends: Kawhi Leonard, Patty Mills and Derrick White
SAS gets: Evan Fournier, Nikola Vucevic, Ish Smith, Stanley Johnson and Pistons 2019 FRP
Why for SAS: They send Kawhi to an East coast team while receiving valuable pieces. Fournier would be their starting SG, Vucevic is a nice polished big man who would replace Aldridge in their starting lineup, LMA would be traded in another trade, and they also get a nice backup PG for Murray, a young man they like in Johnson and a FRP.

DET sends: Reggie Jackson, Jon Leuer, Ish Smith, Langston Galloway, Stanley Johnson, Luke Kennard, Henry Ellenson and 2019 FRP
DET gets: Kawhi Leonard, Dennis Schroder, Jonathon Simmons and Derrick White
Why for DET: They get another superstar to complete their big front court, a very good PG and a solid backup SF while selling their bad contracts out. That's also a big risk due to Kawhi health and because they would be even more stuck in salaries.

DET would become:
DRUMMOND/Moreland
GRIFFIN/Tolliver
LEONARD/Simmons
BULLOCK/?
SCHRODER/?

No way bro! The Schroder deal sounds good, but we don't have enough assets to get Leonard. We'll have to include trade Drummond to get the Spurs interested...
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#83 » by ChipButty » Mon May 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Wizards desperately need a big. Wall and Gortat do not appear to get along. Oubre is ready to start.

Dre, Leuer, and Stanley for Porter, Gortat, and #15

The Bad: We lose Dre
The Good: We break up the Dre/Griffin front court. We get a legit starting SF with an excellent 3PT shot. Swapping Leuer's 2 year deal for Gortat's tradeable one year deal gives us more flexibility. We get a decent pick in a solid draft.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#84 » by Drwho17 » Mon May 21, 2018 5:03 pm

I'd rather keep Drummond, but I think Dallas would be a player for Drummond, but I'd try to send Griffin to them first. Maybe something around Griffin and Barnes.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#85 » by Crymson » Mon May 21, 2018 5:29 pm

Drwho17 wrote:I'd rather keep Drummond, but I think Dallas would be a player for Drummond, but I'd try to send Griffin to them first. Maybe something around Griffin and Barnes.

I sincerely doubt that Mark Cuban has any interest whatsoever in Blake Griffin, though I'd make that trade in half a second. The only viable return to Detroit for Drummond would be Dallas's first, and I don't see that happening.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#86 » by Crymson » Mon May 21, 2018 5:39 pm

ducler wrote:http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y7r4bcv7

Somebody can dream, right?

4 teams trade between Hawks, Magic, Spurs and Pistons:

The Hawks would come out fairly well, the Magic would get hosed, and the Spurs would get absolutely murdered. Detroit would come out vastly ahead. That would be an historically bad trade for San Antonio. Kawhi is a top-five player. The Pistons do not have anywhere near the resources necessary to acquire him.

This trade would essentially constitute three other organizations coming together with the intent of helping Detroit.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#87 » by DCintheD » Mon May 21, 2018 6:28 pm

wouldn't mind signing Trey Burke for the right price
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Crymson
Rookie

Post#88 » by Crymson » Mon May 21, 2018 6:34 pm

DCintheD wrote:wouldn't mind signing Trey Burke for the right price

We're super short at small forward, have no viable backup center, and currently stand about $10m short of the Apron. There are no dollars to spend on Trey Burke.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#89 » by Canadafan » Mon May 21, 2018 9:14 pm

Crymson wrote:

We're super short at small forward, have no viable backup center, and currently stand about $10m short of the Apron. There are no dollars to spend on Trey Burke.

Agree on SF. Could see Leuer being our main backup at C as a stretch 5 that plays with Blake. Drummond alternately would play with Tolliver(or Ellenson).
Crymson
Rookie

Post#90 » by Crymson » Tue May 22, 2018 1:19 am

Canadafan wrote:
Crymson wrote:

Agree on SF. Could see Leuer being our main backup at C as a stretch 5 that plays with Blake. Drummond alternately would play with Tolliver(or Ellenson).

I don't think Leuer will ever make a viable center. He's not particularly athletic, and he weighs only about as much as the average small forward. Watching him get ground into dust by Randle last year was unpleasant, though perhaps his bum ankle played a role in that.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#91 » by Canadafan » Thu May 24, 2018 11:26 pm

Bleacher report has us signing Joe Harris. Not that that means anything just thought I'd post it. Can't say I've ever seen him play. Any good?
haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Post#92 » by haulerch » Thu May 24, 2018 11:46 pm

I hope they don’t sign any guy to a multi-year contract this offseason.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#93 » by Crymson » Fri May 25, 2018 2:55 pm

Canadafan wrote:Bleacher report has us signing Joe Harris. Not that that means anything just thought I'd post it. Can't say I've ever seen him play. Any good?

He's only suitable if this organization aims to assemble the least athletic roster possible.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#94 » by ByeByeDre » Fri May 25, 2018 6:42 pm

DCintheD wrote:Wonder if we could get Atlanta to do a Reggie for Schroder swap. Schroder's got one extra year on his deal. I like Schroder a lot more than Reggie plus he's 3 years younger with better health and upside.

Schroder for Reggie
or

Atlanta is blatantly tanking with the firing of Budenhozer. Those are great tank trades for them.

Why in the world does Atlanta want to give us Schroder for that?
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#95 » by DCintheD » Fri May 25, 2018 11:41 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:

Schroder for Reggie
or

Why in the world does Atlanta want to give us Schroder for that?

Cuz Reggie Leuer and LG would do their tank wonders
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#96 » by DCintheD » Sat May 26, 2018 4:53 pm

How much do we have to spend in fa? Can’t imagine Trey Burke getting too big of a deal from anyone if Lou Williams only got 8 per year
BlawSoprano
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#97 » by BlawSoprano » Sat May 26, 2018 8:10 pm

Hire Dwayne Casey as HC.

Pistons trade Reggie Jackson and Henry Ellenson to Orlando for Jonathan Simmons and D.J. Augustine.

Pistons sign Isiah Thomas to a 1 year deal for the full MLE with a 2nd year player option.

IT / Ish / DJ
Simmons / Kennard / Galloway
Stanley / Bullock
Blake / Leuer
Drummond / Moreland

2nd round pick and vet signings can round out the rest of the roster.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#98 » by Snakebites » Sat May 26, 2018 8:12 pm

DCintheD wrote:How much do we have to spend in fa? Can’t imagine Trey Burke getting too big of a deal from anyone if Lou Williams only got 8 per year

We have next to nothing unless we trade someone.

Luxury tax has become a factor thanks to Blake Griffin and years of overpays to sub replacement level players.
DCintheD
Sixth Man

Post#99 » by DCintheD » Sat May 26, 2018 8:37 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DCintheD wrote:How much do we have to spend in fa? Can’t imagine Trey Burke getting too big of a deal from anyone if Lou Williams only got 8 per year

We have next to nothing unless we trade someone.

Luxury tax has become a factor thanks to Blake Griffin and years of overpays to sub replacement level players.

Don’t we have the MLE? And if so how much is that?
Crymson
Rookie

Post#100 » by Crymson » Sun May 27, 2018 4:50 pm

DCintheD wrote:Don’t we have the MLE? And if so how much is that?

About $8.7m, though it'll become less than that if the team opts to re-sign anyone. And there's next to no chance of being able to use that trade exception, because the organization will lack the reasonable space to do so this summer and will be hard-capped if it uses any more than $5.5m of the MLE.

It's complicated. The operative fact is that the organization is financially screwed for next season, barring a miracle trade. That's thanks to Blake Griffin's contract, without which much more flexibility would have been had.

Return to Detroit Pistons