ImageImageImage

Stanley Johnson as 3rd pg

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Southern Piston
Senior
And1: 95

Stanley Johnson as 3rd pg 

Post#1 » by Southern Piston » Wed Apr 11, 2018 1:06 am

I think we should have Stanley Johnson and Kennard play pg in the summer league, If Johnson could play pg, we could play bollock and kennard together. I think his playmaking ability is at least as good as most 3rd pg, so u add the defense and he’s an adequate 3rd pg lacking experience, but if Reggie goes down again, and we want to continue to bring ish off the bench, as we’ve seen the last two seasons, I think it would be worth spending a summer league season seeing how it resulted, we never use 10/12 players on the roster again, it should be utilized better. Johnson and kennard split pg duties, Johnson defends top 4s and Ellenson plays the 5, and big 4, with Moreland. If either is able to operate as a 3rd pg, at will help with salary cap marginally, which is better nothing long term. I don’t think it would effect either players phsych if they failed
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Re: Stanley Johnson as 3rd pg 

Post#2 » by Kilo » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:22 am

Stanley Johnson for late first or even early second rounder.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#3 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:42 pm

Johnson is a three-year veteran under contract. He won't be playing in summer league.

He's not fit to play point guard right now in any event. He's a bad scorer from everywhere: from the perimeter, on the drive, and off the dribble. He won't have much of a future in the NBA at all if he doesn't remedy that, much less playing out of position. If he can learn to score efficiently, great; maybe he can have some time moonlighting at point guard. Provided we've got a different coach, anyway, as Stan Van Gundy will never innovate to that degree.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#4 » by Billl » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:42 pm

The solution to not having a great PG isn't to have non-pg's play pg.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#5 » by buzzkilloton » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 pm

Kilo wrote:Stanley Johnson for late first or even early second rounder.

We could use some of the 2nd rounders back that SVG has shipped out over the years on his failed quest for the coveted 8 seed in the eastern conference.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#6 » by Drwho17 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Stanley Johnson isn't a real good ballhandler, I don't think he has good hands really either, he has good court vision though, but I think PG is not what the Pistons need from him. I'm interested to see how Blake Griffin works with the full team, he's kind of unique as a PF, good distributor and good ball handler, might be a good combo with Reggie Jackson at PG.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#7 » by Crymson » Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:57 pm

Drwho17 wrote:I'm interested to see how Blake Griffin works with the full team, he's kind of unique as a PF, good distributor and good ball handler, might be a good combo with Reggie Jackson at PG.

He's also unique as a power forward in that he's slow and has no game between the paint and the three-point line. He's the antithesis of the modern power forward.

As for how he'll work with Jackson, don't get your hopes up. Griffin is ball-dominant, and the offense must be run through him for him to be most effective. Jackson is ball-dominant, and the offense must be run through him for him to be most effective. Neither one is a reliable shooter, so playing one off-ball isn't an ideal option.

Griffin's style of play conflicted with that of the similarly ball-dominant Chris Paul, who is one of the best of all time, was in his prime at the time, remains leagues better than Jackson, and is far more versatile than Jackson. He's excellent at all facets of the game, and that includes shooting. He and Griffin were nonetheless not a good combo. Those Clippers squads achieved their modest success on talent alone.

What we have is a madman's rendition of a Big Three: extremely expensive, poorly fitting, outdated, and incapable of providing value commensurate with its cost.
topsearch92
Junior
And1: 153

Post#8 » by topsearch92 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:36 pm

Kilo wrote:Stanley Johnson for late first or even early second rounder.

Yeah I’ll take anything. Can’t shoot, doesn’t realize he can’t shoot, and is inconsistent. Move on
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#9 » by Billl » Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:53 pm

"He's also unique as a power forward in that he's slow and has no game between the paint and the three-point line. He's the antithesis of the modern power forward."

He's not slow. He's got an inbetween game. He didn't used to shoot 3s at all, just mid range jumpers to keep the defense honest. He also is really good with the ball on the perimeter and can drive past most bigs.

The biggest question mark about blake is injury. The next biggest is fit with RJ. I'm not convinced it's a bad fit, but there will certainly be growing pains. RJ did a really good job giving up some ball handling duties to Dre to start the year. I think that actually help his all around game by limited the amount of time he was pounding the rock at the top of the key. RJ's a scoring pg and tends to look a lot better when he makes quick moves. I think Blake is the same in that he looks best when he's getting the ball in scoring position and either finishing or making a quick move to create for others.

Both have a tendency to be too ball dominant, but that doesn't mean either of them really SHOULD be that ball dominant. We really need a coach that will run a high motion offense (both player and ball.) A heavy diet of pick and roll is not the answer for a team that tends to hold the ball to long. Doc made that mistake in LA. Even though paul is a much better passer than RJ, it never really worked. You just had too many guys standing around. Yeah, paul would hit them for the occasional 3 or lob, but those were coming off of great individual plays, not being generated within the flow of the offense.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#10 » by Crymson » Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:57 pm

Billl wrote:He's not slow.

He's most certainly slow. He wasn't slow two years ago, but he is now.

He's got an inbetween game.

He does not. Outside of the paint, his only means to any efficient offense lies in wide-open, spot-up threes. And he can't even necessarily be relied upon to hit those.

He didn't used to shoot 3s at all, just mid range jumpers to keep the defense honest.

His best season mark on those was 42%. That's not a keep-them-honest shot. It's a shot that defenses invite, and one that most were happy to give him.

He also is really good with the ball on the perimeter and can drive past most bigs.

I see no way in which he"s "really good" on the perimeter. He cannot drive past most bigs. Not at all. He's gotten considerably slower, and the average opposition power forward has gotten faster.

The biggest question mark about blake is injury.

I'd say the biggest question mark about Griffin is his fit with Drummond, but that's not a question mark; his terrible fit with Andre is a fact, and that was true from the very beginning. Ditto with his fit into the overall team; that was obviously dreadful from the moment the trade was made, before he ever stepped on the floor for the team.

The next biggest is fit with RJ. I'm not convinced it's a bad fit, but there will certainly be growing pains. RJ did a really good job giving up some ball handling duties to Dre to start the year. I think that actually help his all around game by limited the amount of time he was pounding the rock at the top of the key.

Jackson gave up hardly anything to Drummond. Drummond wasn't ball-dominant as a playmaker. In almost all situations, he quickly handed the ball off or passed it to a cutter. Griffin is ball-dominant, in the same mold as Jackson.
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#11 » by ImHeisenberg » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:52 pm

Stanley probably won't be in summer league. It's rare to see guys heading into their 4th season there.

If he is there, yeah. Let him and Luke dominate the ball. Summer League is a good place to go nuts and experiment with new or developing skill sets. I don't think SJ will ever be able to full time run PG in the NBA though. His handle is way too sloppy. Luke has a much better handle.
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#12 » by MrBigShot » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:09 am

He's not good enough of a ball handler or decision maker to be playing PG. Like...Stanley just flat out sucks offensively.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:44 am

He should be doing other things, like figuring out a fluid offensive move.

Return to Detroit Pistons