ImageImageImage

heartbreaking to see so many former pistons finding success in new roles on new teams.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Re: heartbreaking to see so many former pistons finding success in new roles on new teams. 

Post#21 » by Spider156 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:46 pm

Arp590 wrote:Yeah totally..
Baynes 0-4, 0 points, 15 minutes.
Greg Monroe 0-2, 1 point, 10 minutes
Morris 21 points on 20 shots, he'll always be an inefficient chucking ball-stopper so I don't miss him even slightly.

The only person worth a damn is Middleton, the one person you didn't mention.

And the person with a big contract that we can't afford anyway
Defense wins championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Re: heartbreaking to see so many former pistons finding success in new roles on new teams. 

Post#22 » by Snakebites » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:I miss rookie Jerebko and we absolutely shouldn't have traded Middlen, other than that good riddance for those guys, add KCP, Knight, Stuckey and all other crap player we let go.

It’s tough to blame them for trading Jonas. He was losing playing time to Charlie Villanueva after the injury.

Van Gundy traded Jerebko in 2015.

I’m aware.

He was never the same after the injury.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#23 » by whitehops » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 pm

baynes and harris (i wasn't here for the middleton reactions) are the only players that most of us were upset to part with. i distinctly remember most people rejoicing when we got rid of guys like morris, monroe, ilyasova, etc.

even with dinwiddie nobody really made a peep because we lost a third string PG who was hot garbage every time he stepped on the floor.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#24 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:48 pm

sfballa13 wrote:Trading Mook will go down as one of SVG's top 5 biggest mistakes as our GM

The guy was putting up 14/8 on 4M a more than competetent starting PF, let alone probably one of the best bench bigs we could ever ask for.

Instead we give him away to Boston of all teams and use that money plus another 3M to sign Langston Galloway

Morris had a good first season with the Pistons. In his second, he was horrendously inefficient. He loves to shoot, and he loves to shoot low-quality, mid-range jumpers off the dribble. He's a good bench player, but not a starter.

For the record, he primarily played at SF in Detroit.

I still cringe when I think about other people on this board trashing the only guy who brought grit to our team and the only guy who actually stood up and said something when players like Reggie and Drummond were yucking it up to a joke record.

For all the good that did last season.

You can argue that Monroe and KCP were on the way out, but guess what we still could have gotten something for them, like say, two second round picks

Bradley was not a bad acquisition. Injuries ultimately took a toll, and Van Gundy wrongly utilized him as if he were worthy of being a #1 option.

Said it before and ill say it again, SVG screwed the Pistons over WAYYYYYY worse than Dumars because he had more money to work with, a blank check basically (Davidson was notoriously cheap esp during the years we were dominating the league) and did jack with it

We're in trouble for the foreseeable future because of his decisions, no doubt. I think Gores played a large part in the Griffin trade, however.

And Stan has certainly also been a terrible coach.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#25 » by Crymson » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Spider156 wrote:And the person with a big contract that we can't afford anyway

That makes precisely zero sense. We'd presumably have extended him when he was eligible. And his contract isn't big. He's being paid $4 million more than Jon Leuer this season.
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 332

Post#26 » by Drwho17 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 4:44 pm

I don't really understand the griping about the salaries, the Pistons problem isn't that they are paying Griffin/Drummond/Jackson so much, it's that their 11/12/13th guys are getting overpaid, Leuer/Galloway and before the trade Boban were making 25 million/yr. themselves. It has been proven none of those guys were even necessary to the rotation. Replace them with G-leaguers on min salaries and it won't impact the team. Those contracts are really what make things look bad.
ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#27 » by ByeByeDre » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:11 pm

The Pistons haven’t managed a decent roster for a dozen years. It will take at least two more seasons to unwind this current mess, and that’s only if someone in charge is committed to a rebuild. I doubt it, though. I predict more head-scratching three year contracts to 9th men types.

3 years, $27 million to Iman Shumpert - I can feel it!
ImHeisenberg
Head Coach
And1: 2,323

Post#28 » by ImHeisenberg » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:43 pm

They're on teams that either gave them a real opportunity, actually invested time into developing them or they simply have a coach that knows how to best utilize their talents.

These are all things that don't happen when your owner demands that the team "win now", and you get subpar decision making and treadmill coaches. SVG was supposed to be better, but he's proven that he is not.

I'm happy for the players that have found success in the league. But, it really should be a black eye on this organization and their constant impatience and desire for veteran help.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#29 » by Crymson » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:07 am

Drwho17 wrote:I don't really understand the griping about the salaries, the Pistons problem isn't that they are paying Griffin/Drummond/Jackson so much, it's that their 11/12/13th guys are getting overpaid, Leuer/Galloway and before the trade Boban were making 25 million/yr. themselves.

The issue is both. Yes, Van Gundy's depth signings have been absolutely terrible. Completely. But the new core of Griffin, Drummond, and Jackson is perfectly awful. It features two overlapping big men, two highly ball-dominant players, and ZERO good shooters, and it'll cost $75 million next season. That's a much crappier version of the Clippers' old big three, and it's a grotesquely bad value for the dollar. The three fit poorly together, and odds are very high that one or two will spend major time out with injury next season.

The trio of Harris, Jackson, and Drummond was considerably more viable. The trade for Griffin was moronic in the extreme.

It has been proven none of those guys were even necessary to the rotation. Replace them with G-leaguers on min salaries and it won't impact the team. Those contracts are really what make things look bad.

If Galloway and Leuer decided to retire and move to Mars, the Pistons would still be at the cap. They'd be free to use the full MLE and re-sign Tolliver without exceeding the luxury line, but that would be the only difference.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#30 » by vege » Tue Apr 17, 2018 2:52 am

Snakebites wrote:
Crymson wrote:
Snakebites wrote:It’s tough to blame them for trading Jonas. He was losing playing time to Charlie Villanueva after the injury.

Van Gundy traded Jerebko in 2015.

I’m aware.

He was never the same after the injury.

That's why I said rookie Jerebko. After the injury he was garbage for us.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#31 » by Uncle Mxy » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:48 am

Man, I really miss Kyle Singler... LOL!
WillTheThrill12
Freshman
And1: 51

Post#32 » by WillTheThrill12 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:25 am

davidvolumes wrote:Can you believe baynes starting on a playoff team.
Or Morris thriving as a bench player.
Then there is Monroe who we didnt value very much.

If you are pining for these guys specifically, I've got two words for ya...

Brad Stevens.
vege
RealGM

Post#33 » by vege » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:17 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:Man, I really miss Kyle Singler... LOL!

I miss Brandon Knight more. It was so great to see a PG having more TOs than Assists more often than not.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#34 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:48 am

vege wrote:

I miss Brandon Knight more. It was so great to see a PG having more TOs than Assists more often than not.

Wait... he was a PG?!? I never knew!!!
*sigh*
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#35 » by vic » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:04 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
vege wrote:

Wait... he was a PG?!? I never knew!!!
*sigh*

he was a shooting guard from jump... I'm so tired of this organization putting square pegs in round holes.

He did great when Milwaukee had him playing SG.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#36 » by davidvolumes » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:29 am

I dont miss any of the former players. I do miss having a gm who knows how to spot talent and a coach with the ability to get the best from each player.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#37 » by A_dub06 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 12:50 am

davidvolumes wrote:I dont miss any of the former players. I do miss having a gm who knows how to spot talent and a coach with the ability to get the best from each player.

Can I ask which GM you are referring to? It has been proven that Dumas completely lucked into building the 2004 championship squad, and while he found some decent second round picks from time to time, he also made multiple 1st round pick blunders that damaged this franchise. Every decision he made after our championship was short sighted and appeared to be ill informed, and look at the slue of coaches we had that didn’t work out. Every single person he hired was questionable at best and it wasn’t like it was a high risk high reward move either.

The last good coaches we had was Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle. It’s been a very long time

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#38 » by Snakebites » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:41 am

whitehops wrote:baynes and harris (i wasn't here for the middleton reactions) are the only players that most of us were upset to part with. i distinctly remember most people rejoicing when we got rid of guys like morris, monroe, ilyasova, etc.

even with dinwiddie nobody really made a peep because we lost a third string PG who was hot garbage every time he stepped on the floor.

I'm still not upset about Dwiddie.
vege
RealGM

Post#39 » by vege » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:49 am

A_dub06 wrote:
The last good coaches we had was Larry Brown and Rick Carlisle. It’s been a very long time

Flip Saunders was pretty good. After him it was ugly for us.
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#40 » by A_dub06 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:05 am

vege wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Flip Saunders was pretty good. After him it was ugly for us.

I completely forgot about Flip! He was definitely better than SVG and the rest of the carousel but I didn’t think he was a top 5 coach or anything.

I think more than anything what we are seeing these days is that the better coaches can relate to the players and work with them as opposed to acting above and bark orders ala SVG. Coaches like Brad Stevens connects work the players, empowers them, and isn’t afraid at throwing heavy minutes at rookies or young players. By having a transparent system where the hardest working or biggest producing players play, it’s honest and empowers the players. If a vet isn’t putting in work they won’t receive big minutes just because they have done so previously, everything is based off merit and means that players better understand their role. This dinosaur mantra that rookies earn their minutes which guys like SVG, Steve Clifford and even Frank Vogel employ only destroys confidence in young players and makes them play with doubt which leads to high nerves and turnovers.

Return to Detroit Pistons