ImageImageImage

Trade for Melo?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,802

Re: Trade for Melo? 

Post#21 » by DBC10 » Fri May 11, 2018 8:13 pm

If OKC loses PG, then they have to at least look competitive since Westbrook is going to be on a steady decline from here on out unless they do the crazy thing and just blow up the roster. At least having Blake (an OKC native?) would keep it somewhat competitive with lob city in the fly-over state south and just fill the roster out with shooters.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 470

Post#22 » by Crymson » Fri May 11, 2018 8:37 pm

DBC10 wrote:At least having Blake (an OKC native?) would keep it somewhat competitive with lob city in the fly-over state south and just fill the roster out with shooters.

All issues aside, this MIGHT apply if Griffin weren't a gigantic injury risk. In the event, you've got to accomplish the difficult task of building a team around him AND have him remain healthy; if he doesn't, that team you've built falls apart immediately.

Because he's out of place at his own position now, he's rough to build around; and building around him also requires reliance upon his poor health. Not wise, and not a risk any team is likely to take. Even the Clippers front office, Jerry West included, did not want to do it last offseason. It was Ballmer who ordered them to do so. And after the mere six months it took for him to realize his mistake, it took the Pistons being really, incredibly dumb for him to get out of that situation.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#23 » by DCintheD » Sat May 12, 2018 5:45 pm

Crymson wrote:it took the Pistons being really, incredibly dumb for him to get out of that situation.

this is a must watch if anyone hasn't yet
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Crymson
Rookie

Post#24 » by Crymson » Sat May 12, 2018 5:59 pm

DCintheD wrote:this is a must watch if anyone hasn't yet

It's a very clever and surprisingly accurate portrait of the organization's circumstances. My favorite aspect is the portrayal of Van Gundy's dunce to Jerry West's mastermind in the trade talks. Very apt. Too bad they couldn't sneak an inebriated/coked-out Tom Gores into the picture as well.
BlawSoprano
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#25 » by BlawSoprano » Sat May 26, 2018 8:28 pm

This is all hypothetical but I am definitely in favor of exploring Melo options. Personally I think the team needs a full rebuild and to go tanking the next 3-5 years but Tom Gores thinks we can compete. So if he thinks we can compete the route I'd go this offseason goes as follows.

Hire Dwayne Casey.

Sign Isiah Thomas to a 1 year full MLE deal with a 2nd year player option.

3 team trade
Pistons trade: Reggie Jackson, John Leuer, Ish Smith and Henry Ellenson
Pistons receive: Carmelo Anthony and DJ Augustin

Magic trade: DJ Augustin, Jonathan Simmons, and Terrence Ross
Magic receive: Reggie Jackson, John Leuer and Henry Ellenson

OKC trades: Carmelo Anthony
OKC receive: Terrence Ross, Jonathan Simmons, and Ish Smith

IT / DJ
Bullock / Kennard / Galloway
Melo / Stanley
Blake
Drummond / Moreland

vet min deals and our #42 2nd round pick can round out the rest of our roster.
JohnReese
Senior
And1: 270

Post#26 » by JohnReese » Sat May 26, 2018 9:36 pm

Melo will be traded with a pick to a team with cap space that agrees with a buyout.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,111

Post#27 » by Laimbeer » Mon May 28, 2018 12:51 pm

BlawSoprano wrote:This is all hypothetical but I am definitely in favor of exploring Melo options. Personally I think the team needs a full rebuild and to go tanking the next 3-5 years but Tom Gores thinks we can compete. So if he thinks we can compete the route I'd go this offseason goes as follows.

Hire Dwayne Casey.

Sign Isiah Thomas to a 1 year full MLE deal with a 2nd year player option.

3 team trade
Pistons trade: Reggie Jackson, John Leuer, Ish Smith and Henry Ellenson
Pistons receive: Carmelo Anthony and DJ Augustin

Magic trade: DJ Augustin, Jonathan Simmons, and Terrence Ross
Magic receive: Reggie Jackson, John Leuer and Henry Ellenson

OKC trades: Carmelo Anthony
OKC receive: Terrence Ross, Jonathan Simmons, and Ish Smith

IT / DJ
Bullock / Kennard / Galloway
Melo / Stanley
Blake
Drummond / Moreland

vet min deals and our #42 2nd round pick can round out the rest of our roster.

That is really awful for Orlando.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#28 » by Crymson » Mon May 28, 2018 4:00 pm

Laimbeer wrote:That is really awful for Orlando.

It's also terrible for Detroit. It'd be awesome for OKC.
Warspite
RealGM
And1: 1,099

Post#29 » by Warspite » Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 pm

Because it worked so well before with Iverson and TMac.
HomoSapien wrote:Warspite, the greatest poster in the history of realgm.
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#30 » by Arp590 » Mon May 28, 2018 7:21 pm

This thread should have died a long time ago.
We have to be the only fanbase interested in trading for this bum.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#31 » by hoophabit » Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 pm

In the original draft, Melo would have been a sound move. Now, it's akin to self immolation.
Crymson
Rookie

Post#32 » by Crymson » Mon May 28, 2018 7:49 pm

Warspite wrote:Because it worked so well before with Iverson and TMac.

The organization was in a drastically different spot at the time of the Iverson trade.

I don't see how McGrady is relevant to this.

Arp590 wrote:This thread should have died a long time ago.
We have to be the only fanbase interested in trading for this bum.

It'd only make sense in the context of dumping Griffin's contract. But I don't think OKC would bite.

hoophabit wrote:In the original draft, Melo would have been a sound move. Now, it's akin to self immolation.

If Griffin can be gotten rid of in the process, no. Otherwise, yes.
eitanr
General Manager
And1: 299

Post#33 » by eitanr » Thu May 31, 2018 1:11 am

I thought this was a rebuild idea based around Melo for Griffin. I'd shoot for Batum before I shot for Melo...and I'm not advocating that route either.
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

http://fullcourtanalytics.blogspot.com/
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#34 » by sludgefoot » Thu Jun 7, 2018 1:10 am

No on Melo. Luke must be a starter. Luke will be a starter on a superior team. Hopefully it will be a Detroit team. Luke is our future and Melo who is not our future should not take minutes away.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
Crymson
Rookie

Post#35 » by Crymson » Thu Jun 7, 2018 3:11 am

eitanr wrote:I thought this was a rebuild idea based around Melo for Griffin. I'd shoot for Batum before I shot for Melo...and I'm not advocating that route either.

So you'd rather have Batum's three years than Melo's one year?

sludgefoot wrote:No on Melo. Luke must be a starter. Luke will be a starter on a superior team. Hopefully it will be a Detroit team. Luke is our future and Melo who is not our future should not take minutes away.

Kennard's low athletic ceiling means that defense will always be an issue, and he'll probably always be substandard at reaching the net. If he ever starts, he'll need to be surrounded by good defenders. And it almost certainly won't be for a "superior" team.

Wings with his lack of athleticism cannot be "the future" in today's NBA.
eitanr
General Manager

Post#36 » by eitanr » Fri Jun 8, 2018 8:36 pm

Crymson wrote:
eitanr wrote:I thought this was a rebuild idea based around Melo for Griffin. I'd shoot for Batum before I shot for Melo...and I'm not advocating that route either.

sludgefoot wrote:No on Melo. Luke must be a starter. Luke will be a starter on a superior team. Hopefully it will be a Detroit team. Luke is our future and Melo who is not our future should not take minutes away.

Kennard's low athletic ceiling means that defense will always be an issue, and he'll probably always be substandard at reaching the net. If he ever starts, he'll need to be surrounded by good defenders. And it almost certainly won't be for a "superior" team.

Yes - i'd rather have Batum 4 yrs, who at least fits than Melo who may not be more valuable to a team than Michael Beasley at this point
Read the best NBA Articles on the Web right here, delivering innovative insights and a unique perspectives on all the happenings of the league.

Crymson
Rookie

Post#37 » by Crymson » Fri Jun 8, 2018 10:02 pm

eitanr wrote:Yes - i'd rather have Batum 4 yrs, who at least fits than Melo who may not be more valuable to a team than Michael Beasley at this point

Then I can only assume that you're entirely unfamiliar with Batum's struggles. He is currently a poor shooter and defensive sieve who's owed upwards of $76 million over the next three seasons and, at just shy of 30 years old, is probably unlikely to improve anytime soon. His halcyon days in Portland are now long in the past, and his contract is one of the worst in the NBA. In the most recent regular season, he logged 11.6/5.5/4.8 on 52.2% TS (more than 5% below league average) and was statistically the worst defender in Charlotte's starting lineup. He was paid more than $22 million.

Melo is a cancer, and he's no longer a good player, but he'd be gone in a year.
eitanr
General Manager

Post#38 » by eitanr » Fri Jun 8, 2018 11:05 pm

Crymson wrote:
eitanr wrote:Yes - i'd rather have Batum 4 yrs, who at least fits than Melo who may not be more valuable to a team than Michael Beasley at this point

Then I can only assume that you're entirely unfamiliar with Batum's struggles. He is currently a poor shooter and defensive sieve who's owed upwards of $76 million over the next three seasons and, at just shy of 30 years old, is probably unlikely to improve anytime soon. His halcyon days in Portland are now long in the past, and his contract is one of the worst in the NBA. In the most recent regular season, he logged 11.6/5.5/4.8 on 52.2% TS (more than 5% below league average) and was statistically the worst defender in Charlotte's starting lineup. He was paid more than $22 million.

Melo is a cancer, and he's no longer a good player, but he'd be gone in a year.

I'm trying to remember the thesis of this thread. I like Melo if I'm looking to rebuild and use him as an expiring. If Detroit goes that route, a Blake for Melo foundation makes most sense.

Now, if the goal is to win now, I don't feel Batum is my first choice, but to win now he's preferable to Melo.

Your choice of Melo vs. Batum? That's like asking me would I rather get kicked in the groin or punched in the face

Crymson
Rookie

Post#39 » by Crymson » Sat Jun 9, 2018 12:26 am

eitanr wrote:Now, if the goal is to win now, I don't feel Batum is my first choice, but to win now he's preferable to Melo.

I think that's a choice between bad and maybe slightly less bad. The difference is so minute that it probably wouldn't be significant.

Your choice of Melo vs. Batum? That's like asking me would I rather get kicked in the groin or punched in the face

More like getting kicked repeatedly the groin or blowing out your knee. They're both awful pain, but the pain from the first is much shorter-lived than that of the second.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 4,017

Post#40 » by BDM22 » Sat Jun 9, 2018 1:35 am

Crymson wrote:

There are tons of guys around the league that are pylons on D, but play big roles on very good teams. Kyrie and Harden come to mind immediately. The system plays more of a role than just surrounding one bad defender with a bunch of DPOY candidates. I also think he's far from a lost cause on that end. He has plenty of rookie lapses on that end, but he showed more solid defensive moments than I ever thought he would. He's not the next Bruce Bowen, but I think we've definitely got worse defenders on the roster.

You also significantly ignore the effect of being deadly from just about anywhere on the court has on one's ability to create offense. Luke will never have to get to the rim and go over the top of bigs as a huge part of his offense, because he shoots better from mid-range than a lot of guys do right at the rim. He knows how to turn his outside threat and footwork into offense. It's clear as day to anyone who watches whenever he's not just forced to camp out in the corner.

He's certainly the best option we've got next to Bullock right now. ESPECIALLY when you consider the fact that we're desperate for floor spacers.

Return to Detroit Pistons