ImageImageImage

Pistons new Assistants?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

TC-Flint
Ballboy
And1: 11

Pistons new Assistants? 

Post#1 » by TC-Flint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:18 pm

Any word on possible new assistants for Casey and the Pistons? I see where Stackhouse is now with Memphis as a assistant.
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Re: Pistons new Assistants? 

Post#2 » by TC-Flint » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:01 pm

Raptors assistant Rex Kalamian Is the only name I have heard as a possibility.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#3 » by DCintheD » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:05 pm

Bring back Sheeeeeeeeeeddd
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#4 » by ducler » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:45 pm

Kalamian just joined Clippers

Sent from my STF-L09 using RealGM mobile app
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#5 » by TC-Flint » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

I saw that. New staff for Casey in Detroit.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,502

Post#6 » by whitehops » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:33 pm

i wonder if casey will keep aaron gray on, he coached him for three years so they could have a good relationship already.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,046

Post#7 » by Laimbeer » Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:39 pm

DCintheD wrote:Bring back Sheeeeeeeeeeddd

He's the last type of influence this team needs.
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#8 » by TC-Flint » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:26 am

As far as executives are concerned, Vince Ellis is reporting that Stefanski may be named GM/POBO and that Brett Barry (TNT) and Malik Rose (from Atlanta Hawks) are still being given serious consideration for executive positions.
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#9 » by TC-Flint » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:18 am

Toronto Raptors Assistant Jama Mahlalela is mentioned as a possibility for Casey’s staff. He has worked with Casey the last seven years in Toronto. This is courtesy of the Bad Boys site.
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#10 » by TC-Flint » Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:06 am

Scratch Jama. He will be coaching the Raptors Gatorade Team.
Gebhardt
Ballboy
And1: 9

Post#11 » by Gebhardt » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:41 am

Pistons is making a hard push to hire Asst. Coach Sean Sweeny of Milwaukee Bucks according to Marc Stein
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,102

Post#12 » by Kilo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:45 am

Sweeney is a defensive guru it seems - or was at one point. Some Bucks fans will cheer if he's allowed to go. Will be interesting to see if Bud lets him go to a better situation given Bud otherwise brought over five ATL coaches with him. But the fact he kept on Sweeney means he thinks highly of him. Or he was kept because hes Giannis' buddy ol pal.

Not liking this rumor. Hopefully Stein is wrong.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,105

Post#13 » by skones » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:52 pm

Kilo wrote:Sweeney is a defensive guru it seems - or was at one point. Some Bucks fans will cheer if he's allowed to go. Will be interesting to see if Bud lets him go to a better situation given Bud otherwise brought over five ATL coaches with him. But the fact he kept on Sweeney means he thinks highly of him. Or he was kept because hes Giannis' buddy ol pal.

He's not. The guy designed and stuck to a system that finished 19th, 19th, and 23rd despite more than capable personnel because it finished 4th during the 14-15 campaign. Tremendous lack of adjustment on that front. Sweeney was a one trick pony, and once the league figured it out, he had nowhere else to go.

He was definitely kept because he's close with Giannis. He's the guy who's traveled and worked with him every summer. Given the lack of development of Giannis's jumpshot over the years, many of us on the Bucks board aren't terribly keen on his ability either.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#14 » by flow » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:36 pm

skones wrote:
Kilo wrote:Sweeney is a defensive guru it seems - or was at one point. Some Bucks fans will cheer if he's allowed to go. Will be interesting to see if Bud lets him go to a better situation given Bud otherwise brought over five ATL coaches with him. But the fact he kept on Sweeney means he thinks highly of him. Or he was kept because hes Giannis' buddy ol pal.

He's not. The guy designed and stuck to a system that finished 19th, 19th, and 23rd despite more than capable personnel because it finished 4th during the 14-15 campaign. Tremendous lack of adjustment on that front. Sweeney was a one trick pony, and once the league figured it out, he had nowhere else to go.

He was definitely kept because he's close with Giannis. He's the guy who's traveled and worked with him every summer. Given the lack of development of Giannis's jumpshot over the years, many of us on the Bucks board aren't terribly keen on his ability either.

Sounds about right. :banghead:

By the way, I have never seen a situation where a veteran, COY candidate level head coach, has NONE of his assistants joining him in a new gig, and is starting over from scratch. Even when one of those assistants lands a HC gig himself, and takes some of the staff with him, I've never seen it.
Part dysfunctional, part embarrassing. And somewhat telling.
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#15 » by TC-Flint » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:35 pm

Sweeney was also given a lot of credit in the Greak Freaks development. Hopefully, he can help with Drummond too.
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#16 » by joeposh » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:16 pm

flow wrote:
skones wrote:

Sounds about right. :banghead:

By the way, I have never seen a situation where a veteran, COY candidate level head coach, has NONE of his assistants joining him in a new gig, and is starting over from scratch. Even when one of those assistants lands a HC gig himself, and takes some of the staff with him, I've never seen it.
Part dysfunctional, part embarrassing. And somewhat telling.

How many times have you seen a COY level coach get fired, period? Let alone immediately take a new job, and have his old team promote an assistant as the permanent replacement? This is a fairly unique situation.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#17 » by Kilo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Stack left before Casey was fired right? Or at least hired. Other guy took G-League gig. Both did better for themselves. Only guy who looks bad is the fella who went to LAC, but it' freaking LA and it could have been assumed Casey would sit out the year and get paid $6.5M and wait for jobs next year.

I don't hold not bringing anybody with him against him given an assistant was also hired as HC behind him BUT I do hold this scrub Sweeney as his first coaching add.
Weaver = Hinkie
TC-Flint
Ballboy

Post#18 » by TC-Flint » Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:58 am

He’s not a scrub! Welcome to Detroit coach Sweeney and family!
Kilo
RealGM

Post#19 » by Kilo » Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:02 am

Weaver = Hinkie
Kilo
RealGM

Post#20 » by Kilo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:25 am

According to Marc Stein, Pistons looking to bring in Sidney Lowe from the Wizards staff. Lowe had that bit of buffoonery in January against the Knicks. Not sure I'm liking the Casey staff. I guess in the grand scheme it doesn't matter. If Sweeney is working in player development as opposed to responsible for defensive schemes I could understand that hire. Lowe worked mostly with the guards in Washington, and this would be his second stint with the Pistons coaching, and he played here as well. He has an absolutely HORRID head coaching record - maybe there is something to Casey not wanting to risk getting replaced by his assistant again...
Weaver = Hinkie

Return to Detroit Pistons