ImageImageImage

#12 OA this draft or Kennard?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Would you rather have included Kennard in Griffin trade and kept FRP?

Yes
33%
No
67%

Total votes: 21

Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,781

Re: #12 OA this draft or Kennard? 

Post#21 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:42 am

Eh.

Just relax and let yourself go numb. It's really the only way to get through any of this.

I have for the last few months seriously contemplating disengaging from this league and this team entirely. I think it's too late for that at this point though, I've been in this for over 2 decades.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#22 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:51 am

thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I'll take Donovan Mitchell....

Seriously though, I definitely haven't ever been a drinker of the Kennard Kool-aid. That said with the current information available, I'd rather have Kennard. Come draft night, I might change my mind depending on how the board looks when #12 goes on the clock.

Really though a lot of times when it comes to late lottery picks, the title of "lottery pick" holds more allure than the player actually drafted with the pick. More often than not, your looking at solid role players and borderline starters with a sizeable bust potential.

Well I reserved the right to change my mind depending on how the board fell, and yep I'd rather have MPJ a million times over Kennard.

Kennard is going to have to become one helluva player, because he's going to constantly be compared to the woulda/coulda/shoulda beens of Donovan Mitchell & Michael Porter Jr.

Why on earth would Porter Jr. be "constantly compared" to Kennard?!

Was there some confirmation (or even rumor) that we included the pick instead of Kennard? I thought LA just wanted us to throw him in.

It's bad enough having to watch everyone whine about Mitchell all the time, I don't think I can handle another.
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#23 » by Neptune » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:58 am

Most defiently, Kennard isn't winning us any games and will get exposed against playoff teams. The dude is trash.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,226

Post#24 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:59 am

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:I'll take Donovan Mitchell....

Seriously though, I definitely haven't ever been a drinker of the Kennard Kool-aid. That said with the current information available, I'd rather have Kennard. Come draft night, I might change my mind depending on how the board looks when #12 goes on the clock.

Really though a lot of times when it comes to late lottery picks, the title of "lottery pick" holds more allure than the player actually drafted with the pick. More often than not, your looking at solid role players and borderline starters with a sizeable bust potential.

Well I reserved the right to change my mind depending on how the board fell, and yep I'd rather have MPJ a million times over Kennard.

Kennard is going to have to become one helluva player, because he's going to constantly be compared to the woulda/coulda/shoulda beens of Donovan Mitchell & Michael Porter Jr.

Was there some confirmation (or even rumor) that we included the pick instead of Kennard? I thought LA just wanted us to throw him in.

It was widely reported that it was an either/or situation of Kennard or '18 1st to be included in the Blake trade. MPJ was available at #12.

That being the case, its a simple connection to be made. Detroit directly chose to have Kennard over Mitchell, and now indirectly chose Kennard over a talent like MPJ. In either case, the Pistons could easily of had either Mitchell or MPJ instead of Kennard. This is why Luke is going to be compared to those guys.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#25 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:05 am

thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

It was widely reported that it was an either/or situation of Kennard or '18 1st to be included in the Blake trade. MPJ was available at #12.

That being the case, its a simple connection to be made. Detroit directly chose to have Kennard over Mitchell, and now indirectly chose Kennard over a talent like MPJ. In either case, the Pistons could easily of had either Mitchell or MPJ instead of Kennard. This is why Luke is going to be compared to those guys.

And with the guy who made those moves gone, it means even less than it did all of last year!
thesack12
RealGM

Post#26 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:08 am

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

And with the guy who made those moves gone, it means even less than it did all of last year!

SVG being gone, doesn't take the sting out of any of these moves.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#27 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:14 am

thesack12 wrote:

I did a google search, but every article from the trade that I saw that mentioned the Kennard aspect simply said that the Clippers wanted Kennard, but the Pistons didn't want to give him up. Nothing that it was an either/or that had anything to do with the pick. :-?
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 469

Post#28 » by Crymson » Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:35 am

BDM22 wrote:And with the guy who made those moves gone, it means even less than it did all of last year!

Van Gundy's mishaps will hurt for a very long time.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#29 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:09 am

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

I did a google search, but every article from the trade that I saw that mentioned the Kennard aspect simply said that the Clippers wanted Kennard, but the Pistons didn't want to give him up. Nothing that it was an either/or that had anything to do with the pick. :-?

Exactly, Clippers wanted Kennard and Detroit wouldn't include him but they were obviously ok with sending the FRP.

Tobias/Bradley/Boban wasn't going to be enough to get a star player like Blake. Young cheap talent of some sort had to be included. VanBower included the '18 1st in place of sending Kennard. That was the sweetener.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#30 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:14 am

thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Exactly, Clippers wanted Kennard and Detroit wouldn't include him but they were obviously ok with sending the FRP.

Tobias/Bradley/Boban wasn't going to be enough to get a star player like Blake. Young cheap talent of some sort had to be included. VanBower included the '18 1st in place of sending Kennard. That was the sweetener.

Wouldn't include him WITH the FRP.

Maybe Clippers thought Tobias/Bradley/Boban/Kennard wasn't enough.

Either way it's silly. Stan Van Gundy traded the pick for Blake Griffin. End of Transaction. Trying to work this toward blaming Kennard is ridiculous.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#31 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:19 am

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Either way it's silly. Stan Van Gundy traded the pick for Blake Griffin. End of Transaction. Trying to work this toward blaming Kennard is ridiculous.

Reports say Detroit wasn't interesting in trading Kennard at all.

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/32565/pistons-talking-with-teams-about-a-potential-stanley-johnson-trade

Teams have also asked Detroit about rookie Luke Kennard, per league sources, though the Pistons don’t appear to be interested in moving their 2017 first-round pick.

Besides, who said anything about blaming Kennard? What I said was he is going to be compared to Mitchell and MPJ. There is a difference between comparing and blaming.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#32 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:23 am

thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_/id/32565/pistons-talking-with-teams-about-a-potential-stanley-johnson-trade

Teams have also asked Detroit about rookie Luke Kennard, per league sources, though the Pistons don’t appear to be interested in moving their 2017 first-round pick.

Besides, who said anything about blaming Kennard? What I said was he is going to be compared to Mitchell and MPJ. There is a difference between comparing and blaming.

Look, we can go in circles forever. I see nowhere that says the Clippers wanted Kennard instead of the pick and we told them no, take the pick instead. You're really trying to connect dots here. That quote could mean absolutely anything. Teams could be offering junk for him and they're saying no thanks. We don't know.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#33 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:27 am

BDM22 wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

Look, we can go in circles forever. I see nowhere that says the Clippers wanted Kennard instead of the pick and we told them no, take the pick instead. You're really trying to connect dots here. That quote could mean absolutely anything. Teams could be offering junk for him and they're saying no thanks. We don't know.

The FRP vs Kennard discussion was around at the time of the trade, its the very reason this thread exists. Whether you remember it or not, is on you.

I'm done with this, carry on
BDM22
RealGM

Post#34 » by BDM22 » Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:33 am

thesack12 wrote:The FRP vs Kennard discussion was around at the time of the trade, its the very reason this thread exists. Whether you remember it or not, is on you.

So, "fan theory"... cool.

Return to Detroit Pistons