Casey's introductory presser

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Casey's introductory presser 

Post#1 » by flow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:54 pm

Today @ 4 pm. Allegedly.

Can't find any mention of it on the team's website, which is still a mess.
flow
Assistant Coach

Re: Casey's introductory presser 

Post#2 » by flow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:51 pm

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#3 » by Kilo » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Looks like a lot more media there than the usual Piston pressers. Unless they let fans in who were walking around LCA attend the event.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#4 » by detroitKG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Kilo wrote:Looks like a lot more media there than the usual Piston pressers. Unless they let fans in who were walking around LCA attend the event.

I think it was Pistons twitter that had a picture of Casey talking to season ticket holders earlier in the day, so dunno if they were allowed to stick around for the presser.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#5 » by DETermination » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:48 pm

Love everything I'm hearing from Dwane, it really sounds like Luke Stanley and Henry could have big roles next season.
Detroit vs Everybody
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#6 » by detroitKG » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:53 pm

Low key even like what I've heard from Stefanski, dude seems no nonsense.
joeposh
Pro Prospect
And1: 413

Post#7 » by joeposh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:55 pm

Tom is still salty over that LA question. Don't really blame him, the way it was framed.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,728

Post#8 » by zeebneeb » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:01 pm

I agree with tom and Casey. This team can win a lot of games and who knows how good they can be. I know they didn't want to throw Stan under the bus but he absolutely underachieved and that's because he refused to play the younger players enough.

Very nice to hear Luke and Henry's name come up repeatedly throughout the presser.

I think this team is going to win a hell of a lot more games then people think.

Reggie
Luke
Stanley
Blake
Andre

Should be the starting lineup for next year.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#9 » by whitehops » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:02 pm

what was wrong with the guy who asked the practice facility question? as far as i know players can work out wherever they want in the offseason and a lot of the guys are either from LA or like it out there. SJ and drummond have gone to the P3 facility in LA every offseason i'm pretty sure.

and that's besides the fact that they moved arenas into detroit pretty much last minute this past year and practice facilities don't spring up out of thin air.
Pistons888
Junior
And1: 205

Post#10 » by Pistons888 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 pm

whitehops wrote:what was wrong with the guy who asked the practice facility question? as far as i know players can work out wherever they want in the offseason and a lot of the guys are either from LA or like it out there. SJ and drummond have gone to the P3 facility in LA every offseason i'm pretty sure.

and that's besides the fact that they moved arenas into detroit pretty much last minute this past year and practice facilities don't spring up out of thin air.

Just pure ignorance from Pat Caputo which is not shocking.
flow
Assistant Coach

Post#11 » by flow » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:04 pm

The stream is still going with a hot mic. Not sure it's intentional. Interesting.

Didn't realize they were right on the arena floor.
joeposh
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by joeposh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:05 pm

ClickOnDetroit going to have a live interview with Casey on that link at 5:08. Gores a few minutes after.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,510

Post#13 » by whitehops » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:08 pm

i really liked what i heard from casey. from giving the players a voice, empowering them to play through mistakes (brad stevens is amazing at that in boston), and that it is a matchup league (and the raps had so many mismatches for lebron to pick on). ed stefanski saying that him and casey like players that can make plays offensively (which casey never really had in toronto) further makes me think that masai ujiri never gave casey an optimal roster to compete with.

every indication is that we are going to "compete" now so instead of pouting that we're not tanking people should at least give the new front office and coaching staff a chance to try to make this current roster work.
joeposh
Pro Prospect

Post#14 » by joeposh » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Ha, Gores almost said Beilein's name when the channel 4 reporter asked "Who was your second choice?".

Something along the lines of "Well you know we had a lot of great coaches, Beil.. (pause)" *reporter cuts in *"I didn't actually expect you to give me any names" -- then he pivoted back to a generic response.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#15 » by Manocad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:45 pm

Pistons888 wrote:
whitehops wrote:what was wrong with the guy who asked the practice facility question? as far as i know players can work out wherever they want in the offseason and a lot of the guys are either from LA or like it out there. SJ and drummond have gone to the P3 facility in LA every offseason i'm pretty sure.

Just pure ignorance from Pat Caputo which is not shocking.

You beat me to it. I never liked him much in the first place then after I called into his radio show and he called me a “Walmart Wolverine” because I went to college at UM-Flint, I’ve hated him ever since. It’s the University of MICHIGAN-Flint, dummy. Who am I supposed to root for? State?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#16 » by Manocad » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:50 pm

whitehops wrote:i really liked what i heard from casey. from giving the players a voice, empowering them to play through mistakes (brad stevens is amazing at that in boston), and that it is a matchup league (and the raps had so many mismatches for lebron to pick on). ed stefanski saying that him and casey like players that can make plays offensively (which casey never really had in toronto) further makes me think that masai ujiri never gave casey an optimal roster to compete with.

every indication is that we are going to "compete" now so instead of pouting that we're not tanking people should at least give the new front office and coaching staff a chance to try to make this current roster work.

I don’t think anyone was calling for tanking, only no more “win now” moves that give away more of the future under the premise that there’s a magic elixir out there that will make this team an immediate championship contender. Leave the roster as is, do what you can until the bad contracts drop off, then rebuild.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,077

Post#17 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:41 pm

zeebneeb wrote:I agree with tom and Casey. This team can win a lot of games and who knows how good they can be. I know they didn't want to throw Stan under the bus but he absolutely underachieved and that's because he refused to play the younger players enough.

Very nice to hear Luke and Henry's name come up repeatedly throughout the presser.

I think this team is going to win a hell of a lot more games then people think.

Reggie
Luke
Stanley
Blake
Andre

Should be the starting lineup for next year.

Pretty much agree, but I think Bullock starts until Stanley shows improvement.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,777

Post#18 » by Snakebites » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:53 am

Bullock is our best wing player.

I listened to it. Coaches always sound good in the first presser. They've gotten to the level of being professional coaches because they're usually very well spoken and know now to get people to buy in, at least at first.

We'll have to see what happened.

You could tell there's some friction between Gores and the Detroit press. Wonder why...
dalton749
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,433

Post#19 » by dalton749 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:28 am

whitehops wrote:i really liked what i heard from casey. from giving the players a voice, empowering them to play through mistakes (brad stevens is amazing at that in boston), and that it is a matchup league (and the raps had so many mismatches for lebron to pick on). ed stefanski saying that him and casey like players that can make plays offensively (which casey never really had in toronto) further makes me think that masai ujiri never gave casey an optimal roster to compete with.

Masai gave Casey plenty of chances. Casey likes players who can make plays offensively because he’s a terrible offensive coach and just relys on the players to get it done at that end hence the years of isoball in Toronto. That means a guy like demar gets a free pass to never play defense because he had to carry the offense.

Then as a self proclaimed defensive coach he has never played the defensive guys big minutes because the offense would be terrible due to his inability to run a system.

There was James Johnson who never got the opportunity to play though he was clearly the best matchup for a lebron and every fan new it. Goes to Miami and breaks out. Then there was tucker last year yet they still got swept. Tucker came to the raps for half a season and got Demar to play harder on defence then we’ve ever seen, yet Casey couldn’t keep him accountable.A few years of Carroll who looked like a solid player everywhere but in Toronto because he was told to just stand in a corner all game. And this year with Toronto’s depth they literally had a match up for any kind of player.

Casey is about to win a coach of the year, and the biggest thing he did was be forced to let nick nurse run the offense last year :lol:

Wait until you hear about the “role cards” he hands out at training camp which it the Blake, Andre and Reggie show while everyone else stands in the corners to watch.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#20 » by The_Irony » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:40 am

James Johnson and PJ Tucker :lol:

Return to Detroit Pistons