ImageImageImage

'18 Vegas Summer League

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Re: '18 Vegas Summer League 

Post#221 » by hoophabit » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 am

Finally figured out who Brown kind of reminds me of at times. He puts me in mind of Adrian Dantley sometimes. Very physical and strong. Plays bullyball.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#222 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:04 am

The Moose wrote:
Kilo wrote:There is no way Casey, Stefanski and the rest can watch Ellenson here and go into the season with him as the 5th big. Ellenson being so brutally bad will force Detroit to have to make a trade - and probably have to give up an asset to do it. And we don't have any seconds for the next four years - so probably will deal Galloway/Ellenson and a protected FRP - just don't have it 2021 is all.

SJ can play the 4

That remains to be seen. But I do think we'll go into camp or even the start of the season before making a panic move like trading a future first for a 5th big man. Ellenson is just so not NBA caliber.

In the very least, Stefanski should bring in the best two-way contract big he can convince to come here. I mean use the enticement of playing on a team with Blake Griffin missing his 20 games a season, Leuer coming off missing 74 games and Henry Ellenson.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Kilo
RealGM

Post#223 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:14 am

I liked the uniform tops, but the striping on the side was weird - it's like the jersey and shorts were mismatched.
Weaver = Hinkie
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#224 » by BDM22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:14 am

Kilo wrote:There is no way Casey, Stefanski and the rest can watch Ellenson here and go into the season with him as the 5th big. Ellenson being so brutally bad will force Detroit to have to make a trade - and probably have to give up an asset to do it. And we don't have any seconds for the next four years - so probably will deal Galloway/Ellenson and a protected FRP - just don't have it 2021 is all.

Giving up a 1st rounder to get a guy who only sees the floor if we have major injuries to our frontcourt is a horrendous idea.

I'd start Stanley Johnson at center before I'd give up a first rounder for a 5th big.
bballnmike
Veteran
And1: 1,531

Post#225 » by bballnmike » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:24 am

Read on Twitter
Kilo
RealGM

Post#226 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 am

BDM22 wrote:

Giving up a 1st rounder to get a guy who only sees the floor if we have major injuries to our frontcourt is a horrendous idea.

I'd start Stanley Johnson at center before I'd give up a first rounder for a 5th big.

I'm the new master of panic.

A roster balancing guard for big trade works if we can find a team with extra bigs looking for a guard to balance their roster sorta deal.

Getting a longer look at Brown as a PG in training camp could make Ish more expendable as well. Though it's reported that Ishmael is really putting the work in on his three pointer - both off the dribble and catch and shoot.
Weaver = Hinkie
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#227 » by vege » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:39 am

Kilo wrote:
BDM22 wrote:

A roster balancing guard for big trade works if we can find a team with extra bigs looking for a guard to balance their roster sorta deal.

Getting a longer look at Brown as a PG in training camp could make Ish more expendable as well. Though it's reported that Ishmael is really putting the work in on his three pointer - both off the dribble and catch and shoot.

Sacramento have too many bigs, I wonder if we could get Zach Randolph for Ish Smith, Stanley Johnson and Langston Galloway. They could really use Stanley Johnson and I guess he would be happy there since he would be close to home. We would get a great big off the bench and save quite a lot of money allowing us to use a big part of our TPE or the rest of our MLE.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#228 » by Kilo » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:48 am

vege wrote:
Kilo wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Giving up a 1st rounder to get a guy who only sees the floor if we have major injuries to our frontcourt is a horrendous idea.

Sacramento have too many bigs, I wonder if we could get Zach Randolph for Ish Smith, Stanley Johnson and Langston Galloway. They could really use Stanley Johnson and I guess he would be happy there since he would be close to home. We would get a great big off the bench and save quite a lot of money allowing us to use a big part of our TPE or the rest of our MLE.

Don't think the savings would be that much - Zach makes $11.7M - Galloway is 7M, Smith 6M and Johnson $4M. So we'd basically have the rest of our MLE or $5M of the Boban TPE to use.

I guess it depends on how you feel about Johnson - is he the asset you want to spend to get out of Galloway's $7M next season? Also I think at worst Ish has neutral value given his contract. I think it could even be positive value if we were willing to take on a longer deal in return.
Weaver = Hinkie
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#229 » by tradez401 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:50 am

vege wrote:
Kilo wrote:
BDM22 wrote:Giving up a 1st rounder to get a guy who only sees the floor if we have major injuries to our frontcourt is a horrendous idea.

hmm i wouldnt mind zach randolph if only we can get rid of leuer in another deal somewhere.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#230 » by potatoaim » Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:58 am

Brown and Thomas were 2 great pickups.

Ellenson will be playing in Europe in 2 years.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Re: RE: Re: '18 Vegas Summer League 

Post#231 » by dVs33 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:33 am

vege wrote:
Kilo wrote:

I like the idea of bringing in Randolph, but giving up SJ seems a bit much. He's only Zbo only has a year or two left surely.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#232 » by whitehops » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:36 am

potatoaim wrote:Ellenson will be playing in Europe in 2 years.

it's a little worrisome that after two years of nba training programs he still looks so slow and weak compared to average nba athletes.

he's skilled for his height but he just doesn't project to have enough athleticism to make a big enough impact (or enough skill to make up for that lack of athleticism).
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#233 » by whitehops » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:49 am

Kilo wrote:Getting a longer look at Brown as a PG in training camp could make Ish more expendable as well. Though it's reported that Ishmael is really putting the work in on his three pointer - both off the dribble and catch and shoot.

brown has decent playmaking ability for a wing player but that strength only comes if he can create at that level *in addition* to a player like reggie putting pressure on the defense in a scoring/playmaking capacity or ish getting to wherever he wants on the court.

personally i envision brown's ideal (realistic) role as a level-headed version of someone like lance stephenson, tyreke evans or evan turner. a big guard that has enough ball handling ability, vision and scoring ability to be an all-around threat off the bench.

on the second point you touched, ish really did improve on his shooting as the past season went on. in the first 68 games he played he only shot 3 or more three pointers twice and looked very reluctant with every attempt, going 28% from 3 on less than one attempt per game.

in his last 14 games he averaged 3.4 attempts from 3 per game and shot 42.6%. obviously teams were giving him open shots but the fact he was able to make them pay is encouraging.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,870

Post#234 » by MotownMadness » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:01 am

whitehops wrote:

it's a little worrisome that after two years of nba training programs he still looks so slow and weak compared to average nba athletes.

he's skilled for his height but he just doesn't project to have enough athleticism to make a big enough impact (or enough skill to make up for that lack of athleticism).

It’s the weak part that really scares me. I see guys just rebound and score over him with ease and then block him at the other end too often. He is pretty skilled at his size but he’s got to be able to do something inside when that jumper isn’t falling.
BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,997

Post#235 » by BDM22 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:28 am

MotownMadness wrote:
whitehops wrote:

It’s the weak part that really scares me. I see guys just rebound and score over him with ease and then block him at the other end too often. He is pretty skilled at his size but he’s got to be able to do something inside when that jumper isn’t falling.

Yeah, it always seems to be a strength issue. He's slow side-to-side, but he seems to be able to beat defenders off the dribble or in transition with relative ease. He just doesn't know how to finish unless he's wide open, which I suspect is largely a strength issue. And he is clearly streaky (at best) with his jump shot.

Defensively he always seems slow to react and has a ridiculously low IQ. Sadly I don't think this is something that can really be fixed to the point of being even decent.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,340

Post#236 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:23 am

Ellenson is such a bum. Top 20 pick in year 3 and still stinking it up in summer league.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#237 » by tmorgan » Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:32 am

Different guys are able to put on different amounts of muscle, and it's not just a race thing. JJ Redick got ripped, for example. Henry has had two years of getting splinters to be demon in the weight room and he's apparently just not capable of getting much stronger or he's lazy. Either way, bum.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Re: RE: Re: '18 Vegas Summer League 

Post#238 » by vege » Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:13 am

dVs33 wrote:
vege wrote:
Kilo wrote:

I like the idea of bringing in Randolph, but giving up SJ seems a bit much. He's only Zbo only has a year or two left surely.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app

Randolph is an expiring contract. The main idea would be to use SJ to dump Galloway and use Ish's expiring deal to add frontcourt depth while saving money to allow us to use our resources to add talent. There are still decent unsigned FAs and nearly no money to sign them. Right now we can't even add a vet min without go into the LT. that trade idea would allow us to use the rest of our MLE (around 4.5mil I believe) to add someone

Wayne Ellington
Noah Vonleh
Shabazz Napier
Montrezl Harrell

Maybe we can steal one of those players offering a multi year contract starting at 4.5 mil? Probably not but oh well. Shabazz Napier + Zach Randolph >>>>>>>>>>> Ish Smith + Stanley Johnson + Langston Galloway. Napier proved he can start if needed (he started for Portland for a stretch of games last season and he did really well). Zbo can also start if Blake goes down for 10-20 games. We should be fine with Bullock, GRIII and Luke at the wings with our 2 rookies playing a few minutes whenever its needed.

Andre Drummond / Zaza Pachulia / Henry Ellenson
Blake Griffin / Zach Randolph / Jon Leuer
Reggie Bullock / Glen Robinson III
Luke Kennard / Kyrie Thomas / Bruce Brown
Reggie Jackson / Shabazz Napier / Jose Calderon

It's a little light on the wings but other than that, that's a solid and deep team.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#239 » by DCintheD » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:52 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:Ellenson is such a bum. Top 20 pick in year 3 and still stinking it up in summer league.

I don't understand how this guy made it 3 years being paid by an NBA team. Only the Pistons give bums like this these opportunities..
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,886

Post#240 » by tmorgan » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:00 am

Enjoy what remains of Bruce Brown's hair. That dude is bald at 25. :-)

Return to Detroit Pistons