ImageImageImage

Game 12: Charlotte Hornets (6-6) @ Detroit Pistons (6-5) - 3:30 PM ET

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

JNewton
Veteran
And1: 182

Re: Game 12: Charlotte Hornets (6-6) @ Detroit Pistons (6-5) - 3:30 PM ET 

Post#61 » by JNewton » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:50 pm

bstein14 wrote:We've only had one winning season the last 10 years yet our highest draft pick has been #7 Greg Monroe.
If that's not a decade of mediocrity I don't know what is. Never bad enough to have a top 5 pick and never good enough to win a single playoff game. Right in the sweet spot of being stuck on the treadmill.

Gotta love all those 8-2 in the last 10 games stretches they always seemed to pull out back at the end of the Joe D days, which would drop them 5 spots in the lottery. I have no idea why this team refuses to accept rebuilding, it could have been done twice over in the last 10 years under competent management but we are where we are. Gores clearly has no intention of blowing it up which means we are 5 years away from even being able to begin a teardown/rebuild. If the NBA stepped in Philly, I have no idea why they aren't here.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#62 » by Snakebites » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:54 pm

bstein14 wrote:We've only had one winning season the last 10 years yet our highest draft pick has been #7 Greg Monroe.
If that's not a decade of mediocrity I don't know what is. Never bad enough to have a top 5 pick and never good enough to win a single playoff game. Right in the sweet spot of being stuck on the treadmill. This year we are lining ourselves up for another 7th - 9th finish and if we do make the playoffs, another 0-4 sweep at the hands of Toronto, Boston, Milwaukee or Philly.

You're not wrong, but we should have more to show for the number of lottery picks we've had than we do.

We've done a very poor job drafting and haven't even gotten the talent you'd expect from being a treadmill team. It's not impossible to climb out of the treadmill, we've just failed spectacularly at it.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#63 » by Billl » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:46 pm

Yeah, we had plenty of chances to get talent at our pick, but we really whiffed over and over. Of course, we compounded it by overpaying for marginal vets. We've had enough picks and enough chances at cap space that we should be in a better position that we are right now.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#64 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:37 pm

Billl wrote:
Uncle Mxy wrote:
tradez401 wrote:everytime kemba craps on us im always reminded we took brandon knight over him.

It took years for Kemba to develop that 3P shot, and those Bobcats teams were god-awful.
Brandon Knight was arguably a better player for us than Kemba during that timeframe.
I really doubt that we'd have kept Kemba around to develop the way Charlotte did.

Are you thinking of some other Kemba Walker? This one was dropping 18 ppg as a sophmore and had them in the playoffs by his 3rd year. They haven't built anything around him, but he was an impact player almost immediately.

Yes, I'm thinking of the Kemba Walker that shot 36% (30% from 3P) and came off the bench half the time for a team that went 7-59 and was given room to get better. I doubt he'd have gotten that as a Piston.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,787

Post#65 » by Snakebites » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Billl wrote:Yeah, we had plenty of chances to get talent at our pick, but we really whiffed over and over. Of course, we compounded it by overpaying for marginal vets. We've had enough picks and enough chances at cap space that we should be in a better position that we are right now.

Just a list of guys taken after us in the draft in that 10 year period. These are for the most part starter level guys at the very least, not all are all stars. I've left out second rounders and late first rounders from this list. So no Jimmy Butler or Draymond Green on this list. I also didn't bother to look at Andre Drummond's year since we got a quality player with that pick.

Jrue Holiday
Jeff Teague
Darren Collison
Gordon Hayward
Paul George
Kemba Walker
Klay Thompson
Steven Adams
Kawhi Leonard
CJ McCollum
Giannis Antetekounpo
Myles Turner
Devin Booker
Donovan Mitchell
Tobias Harris
Nikola Mirotic

All of these are guys that would have helped us out a lot more than the guys we picked that year. All of them fit really well with the modern NBA, something you really can't say for most of the guys we currently have as our core team. Some of the picks are picks you can defend based on logic or conventional wisdom at the time, but the bottom line is that some teams make it work and some teams don't. We haven't.

Nobody is saying we should have gotten one of these guys every single year- no team does that. Any of these draft choices can be excused in a vacuum, but we've got a patter that can't be defended. But we should have at least managed 2 or 3 of them in the last 10 years, and if we had we'd likely be in a very different situation.

The takeaway? Yeah, we haven't had a great shot at drafting a generational talent. But there's no reason why smart drafting and better player development couldn't have gotten us out of this predicament without necessarily tanking. I'm not saying there's no merit to that type of thinking, I think there is, but success WAS possible even with a refusal to tank. We've just sucked at it.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,352

Post#66 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:24 pm

Looking back at 2015 we really missed out. Tons of talent all through that draft outside the top 5. Not just the all star level guys like Booker but just tons of solid- good players we could of used. Guys picked after Stanley: Winslow a better version of Stanley, Lyles playing great off the bench in Denver this season, Oubre solid 6th man, Rozier obv is awesome. Only 3 complete bricks in that draft between 8-16.

Then the 2nd round of that draft had Osman and Harrell who both look like good players at the top(not in our range). Then the biggest stinger of the draft is us going Hilliard and Riley grabbing Josh Richardson 2 picks later.

Return to Detroit Pistons