Sophomore
And1: 101

Re: Game 13: Detroit Pistons (6-6) @ Toronto Raptors (12-2) - 7:30 PM ET 

Post#161 » by SVG » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:23 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
Laimbeer wrote:
They were all spewing about the loss and it got locked. :lol:

I think they make a habit of locking game threads shortly after the game ends and then set up a post game thread. They have a very active fan base.

I remember in the early to mid 2,000's, the Pistons had the 3rd largest thread and post count of all RealGM.

Man I miss those days :bowdown:
I'm Scrappt like super CONTRA!

Statistical data is difficult to argue with...unless you have an agenda.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#162 » by hoophabit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:52 pm

SVG wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
I think they make a habit of locking game threads shortly after the game ends and then set up a post game thread. They have a very active fan base.

I remember in the early to mid 2,000's, the Pistons had the 3rd largest thread and post count of all RealGM.

All it will take is to get back to being competitive/winning. They'll come "out of the woodwork."
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#163 » by potatoaim » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:38 pm

4 of the next 6(CLE, @HOU, HOU, PHO,NY,CHI) should be very winnable.

Given the brutal DEC schedule, they might actually be must wins.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#164 » by Snakebites » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:11 pm

hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

All it will take is to get back to being competitive/winning. They'll come "out of the woodwork."

The peak was in like 2006 or so. I remember it well.

The decline has pretty much corresponded to the decline in the team itself, which is unsurprising.

I don't think we were ever in the top 3. At the very least the Raptors, Knicks, and Bulls were always bigger. We were definitely among the biggest of that "next tier".
MrBigShot
RealGM
And1: 17,077

Post#165 » by MrBigShot » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:35 pm

I loved Casey's reaction to the win. Good for him.
"They say you miss 100% of the shots you take" - Mike James
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#166 » by Crymson » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:38 pm

hoophabit wrote:

Yeah that's not happening anytime soon with this roster.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,721

Post#167 » by zeebneeb » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:22 pm

hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

Or there a bunch like myself who quit posting because without fail, some people here are over the top "team sucks" "trade *insert current hate*" "this team is treadmill"

It gets old and game threads are brutal to read let alone post in. Void of optimism, or hope or just plain fun.

I read, but posting on what has essentially become a slow moving Raptors board?

I'll chime in from time to time(like now)but game threads are dead to me. Used to be a ton of fun, photoshops, talking moves, and of course some complaining but not the "burn it with fire" attitude.

Oh well. There is always what used to be.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#168 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:27 am

Snakebites wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:

The peak was in like 2006 or so. I remember it well.

The decline has pretty much corresponded to the decline in the team itself, which is unsurprising.

I don't think we were ever in the top 3. At the very least the Raptors, Knicks, and Bulls were always bigger. We were definitely among the biggest of that "next tier".

I do recall marveling at the post count being the 3rd highest after Lakers and Knicks for almost 2 years before declining.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#169 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:08 am

Wasn’t there one dude who posted like every second? Maybe he inflated the post count?
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#170 » by Mr. Krabs » Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:00 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Wasn’t there one dude who posted like every second? Maybe he inflated the post count?

Yes, NastyDaddy was the reason we had that many posts actually. Apart from that, it was much more active ofc.
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#171 » by DetroitSho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:23 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:

Or there a bunch like myself who quit posting because without fail, some people here are over the top "team sucks" "trade *insert current hate*" "this team is treadmill"

It gets old and game threads are brutal to read let alone post in. Void of optimism, or hope or just plain fun.

I'll chime in from time to time(like now)but game threads are dead to me. Used to be a ton of fun, photoshops, talking moves, and of course some complaining but not the "burn it with fire" attitude.

So much this right here

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#172 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:58 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:

As a Floridian originally from Detroit, I frequent the Magic and Heat boards a bit. But, the Heat board is all about fun even when the team sucks and is losing. All they do is crack crazy non-stop jokes and have fun all the time with lots of posting activity. Wish it could be like that on either the Magic and Pistons boards. There is actually much more negativity on the Magic board. It is horrendous. Rarely see positivity, lol. Pistons ain't nearly as bad.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
potatoaim
Senior

Post#173 » by potatoaim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:04 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
hoophabit wrote:
SVG wrote:

The perpetual miseries have definitely driven people away. The lead misery and his minions are broken records at this point. How many times and in how many different ways are you going to tell us that this "team sucks" and the "roster is garbage"? It's gotten very old.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#174 » by DetroitSho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:27 pm

potatoaim wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
hoophabit wrote:

The perpetual miseries have definitely driven people away. The lead misery and his minions are broken records at this point. How many times and in how many different ways are you going to tell us that this "team sucks" and the "roster is garbage"? It's gotten very old.
It makes you wonder if someone really believes that why would they willingly put themselves through self misery. It's literal insanity.

The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#175 » by The Moose » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:36 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
potatoaim wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Or there a bunch like myself who quit posting because without fail, some people here are over the top "team sucks" "trade *insert current hate*" "this team is treadmill"

It makes you wonder if someone really believes that why would they willingly put themselves through self misery. It's literal insanity.

It really does confuse me that you can’t understand that some fans can dislike the current roster/direction and still be a fan of the team.

I think as fans there should always be the one common goal which is to win the championship. Obviously fans will differ in how they believe the team can best accomplish that goal.

A lot of the posters are miserable specifically because they are fans of the team, if they didn’t care, they likely wouldn’t be miserable.
potatoaim
Senior

Post#176 » by potatoaim » Fri Nov 16, 2018 4:44 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
potatoaim wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Or there a bunch like myself who quit posting because without fail, some people here are over the top "team sucks" "trade *insert current hate*" "this team is treadmill"

I dont understand it either.

And you already know those same people would much rather this team be terrible just so they could say "told ya" on an internet message board than this team actually be good. But hey, some people are much happier when theyre miserable.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#177 » by DetroitSho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:21 pm

The Moose wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:
potatoaim wrote:

It really does confuse me that you can’t understand that some fans can dislike the current roster/direction and still be a fan of the team.

I think as fans there should always be the one common goal which is to win the championship. Obviously fans will differ in how they believe the team can best accomplish that goal.

A lot of the posters are miserable specifically because they are fans of the team, if they didn’t care, they likely wouldn’t be miserable.
Did I strike a nerve? Not liking the current direction and still being a fan is not exactly what I spoke to. Don't try to make the two the same. What you spoke to is me with the Lions. But it's beyond asinine to constantly harp on how much the team sucks every 3 posts, it's like ok yeah we get it. Even in discussions about what could be done to at least improve the team, there's still the "do nothing because we suck" themed posts.

Again I can't imagine sitting down every week to watch, I don't know, Love and Hip Hop as much as I loathe the nonsense that comes from it. I actually believe Love and Hip Hop sucks and has no redeemable quality in life so I stay far away from it. That's kinda what you do when you feel as strongly against something as some of these posts try to portray.

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#178 » by vege » Fri Nov 16, 2018 5:50 pm

DetroitSho wrote:
The Moose wrote:
DetroitSho wrote:It makes you wonder if someone really believes that why would they willingly put themselves through self misery. It's literal insanity.

Did I strike a nerve? Not liking the current direction and still being a fan is not exactly what I spoke to. Don't try to make the two the same. What you spoke to is me with the Lions. But it's beyond asinine to constantly harp on how much the team sucks every 3 posts, it's like ok yeah we get it. Even in discussions about what could be done to at least improve the team, there's still the "do nothing because we suck" themed posts.

Again I can't imagine sitting down every week to watch, I don't know, Love and Hip Hop as much as I loathe the nonsense that comes from it. I actually believe Love and Hip Hop sucks and has no redeemable quality in life so I stay far away from it. That's kinda what you do when you feel as strongly against something as some of these posts try to portray.

Some people only post in this boards when the team is losing, whenever we have a good win, or win streak those posters disappear. So yeah, I don't really think they're fans anymore, they're probably just here to troll at this point, or to say, I told you like The Moose said.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#179 » by Invictus88 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:29 pm

Honestly I think a lot of the 'negativity' is actually in the form of reality checks from some posters to others.

Everyone here outside of some possible trolls wants to see the team succeed.

Some see the team failing and want to do anything they can to improve the situation right now. They propose hypothetical trades and sometimes those trades expend resources that can be better utilized elsewhere; albeit at a later point in time.

These same people see free agents pop up and immediately try to find ways this person can fit within the Pistons. Sometimes these players make sense; but other times the match isn't good. However, due to impatience/boredom/etc these people will forcibly seek out ways to 'make' said player fit. It's no fun watching the same players make the same mistakes. Play great one game and a player is anointed a superstar. Play bad another and we should waive and stretch. No middle ground. Just the extremes.

Then there are the people that look at the roster, the salary situation for not just this year but future years, the draft picks we have, the market we are in/the appeal of playing in Detroit, what kind of scheme we run, what kind of schemes work best in the league, what kind of talent is coming up from the college ranks, the temperament of players, etc.

They see a roster with heavy commitment to a few players and no really easy fixes. They look at the years to come and see the possibility for opportunity but it isn't necessarily in the short term, but that's okay. They see a bright future if we are smart with our assets and most of all patient. They've seen the success that other teams have had with similar approaches and the failures of teams that have taken approaches similar to ours.

I kind of liken the above behavior to going shopping at a department store.

Some people are the type that think about their current situation beforehand, enter the store with their list in mind and largely stick to the things on that list; the exceptions usually being some fire sale that likely still fits a 'nice to have but not necessary' item in their mind. These people have investments. They have savings accounts. They have retirement plans. They have assets.

Then there are those people that enter a store without a list in mind. They wander about the aisles, picking up an item and try to imagine ways this thing can fit into their life; sometimes even making up short-lived scenarios that don't really pan out in reality. These are the people whose shopping carts are filled to the brim with impulse items from end caps. These are the people who spend most of their paychecks and have little savings left over after all is said and done.

The 'negativity' that comes across is the second group trying to convey the patient approach to the first group. The first group doesn't want to hear it and gets frustrated. The second group gets frustrated by the first groups' responses back. Two camps form. Chaos ensues.
DetroitSho
Head Coach

Post#180 » by DetroitSho » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Invictus88 wrote:Honestly I think a lot of the 'negativity' is actually in the form of reality checks from some posters to others.

Everyone here outside of some possible trolls wants to see the team succeed.

Some see the team failing and want to do anything they can to improve the situation right now. They propose hypothetical trades and sometimes those trades expend resources that can be better utilized elsewhere; albeit at a later point in time.

These same people see free agents pop up and immediately try to find ways this person can fit within the Pistons. Sometimes these players make sense; but other times the match isn't good. However, due to impatience/boredom/etc these people will forcibly seek out ways to 'make' said player fit. It's no fun watching the same players make the same mistakes. Play great one game and a player is anointed a superstar. Play bad another and we should waive and stretch. No middle ground. Just the extremes.

Then there are the people that look at the roster, the salary situation for not just this year but future years, the draft picks we have, the market we are in/the appeal of playing in Detroit, what kind of scheme we run, what kind of schemes work best in the league, what kind of talent is coming up from the college ranks, the temperament of players, etc.

They see a roster with heavy commitment to a few players and no really easy fixes. They look at the years to come and see the possibility for opportunity but it isn't necessarily in the short term, but that's okay. They see a bright future if we are smart with our assets and most of all patient. They've seen the success that other teams have had with similar approaches and the failures of teams that have taken approaches similar to ours.

I kind of liken the above behavior to going shopping at a department store.

Some people are the type that think about their current situation beforehand, enter the store with their list in mind and largely stick to the things on that list; the exceptions usually being some fire sale that likely still fits a 'nice to have but not necessary' item in their mind. These people have investments. They have savings accounts. They have retirement plans. They have assets.

Then there are those people that enter a store without a list in mind. They wander about the aisles, picking up an item and try to imagine ways this thing can fit into their life; sometimes even making up short-lived scenarios that don't really pan out in reality. These are the people whose shopping carts are filled to the brim with impulse items from end caps. These are the people who spend most of their paychecks and have little savings left over after all is said and done.

The 'negativity' that comes across is the second group trying to convey the patient approach to the first group. The first group doesn't want to hear it and gets frustrated. The second group gets frustrated by the first groups' responses back. Two camps form. Chaos ensues.
Great post and a helluva lot of effort put into it. I like your analogy and I think the entirety of this thread needs to keep the theme of this analogy.

In keeping with it, while I agree I think you forgot another type of shopper. The one that has $100 and sees the big screen in the window of the store for $300 and pisses and moans about not having the $300. You can tell them that Black Friday is coming and you just never know, you might be able to make that $100 work. Their response, "no shut up, I only have $100, not $300". You can tell them about Craigslist, marketplace, Mike down at the barbershop who be having the deals, etc, and it won't matter. All they'll focus on is what they don't have and refuse to listen to how what they DO have might have a workable solution. That's the one I can no longer take.

Return to Detroit Pistons