ImageImageImage

Is the time right to move Kennard in a deal?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Re: Is the time right to move Kennard in a deal? 

Post#21 » by sfballa13 » Mon Dec 3, 2018 12:50 am

Think it's the right time to move Stanley instead

Go for Harrison Barnes

Send Stanley, Leuer, Galloway

Maybe even get them to throw in Kleber, as he's been pretty good off the bench for them

Mavs would save like 14M total bw this season and next season

Luka has one less player competing for his shots
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Post#22 » by hoophabit » Mon Dec 3, 2018 12:58 am

No, seemed to me the team was figuring out the right kind of offensive plays to run for Luke before Channing did a number again. Let's see how he looks coming back before shipping him. I'm not saying there are no potential deals where it might not make sense, but regard these as low probability.
DET_Athletics
Pro Prospect
And1: 213

Post#23 » by DET_Athletics » Mon Dec 3, 2018 4:29 am

Because they about to be rebuilding, it might take two draft picks, but it turns us into a true contender right now, gets the last of negative contracts off our books and balances the roster.

Jackson/ Smith
Bullock/Kennard
Richardson/Brown's
Blake/ Johnson
Dre/Olynyk/Zaza

It's not flashy, but team gets out the first round and is knocking on the door of eastern conference finals and competing for the next couple years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#24 » by MotownMadness » Mon Dec 3, 2018 1:43 pm

DET_Athletics wrote:Because they about to be rebuilding, it might take two draft picks, but it turns us into a true contender right now, gets the last of negative contracts off our books and balances the roster.

Jackson/ Smith
Bullock/Kennard
Richardson/Brown's
Blake/ Johnson
Dre/Olynyk/Zaza

It's not flashy, but team gets out the first round and is knocking on the door of eastern conference finals and competing for the next couple years.

Sent from my SM-G930V using RealGM mobile app

Richardson is breaking out and locked up on a great contract, they won’t move him unles it’s to dump more than Olynyk.

I could see Riley try to retool to get FA money but he won’t bottom out in a location like Miami.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,374

Post#25 » by Billl » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:13 pm

This is such a weird question. Luke has little trade value at this point. He's been hurt, and frankly, didn't show much when he was healthy. We're all hoping it starts to click for him because he can obviously shoot the ball, but it's just hope at this point. Nobody is giving up a promising young player or decent draft pick for him. Unless he's moved as part of a package, we'll just wait on him and see if he develops.
vic
Veteran
And1: 1,044

Post#26 » by vic » Mon Dec 3, 2018 2:23 pm

Nah... no need to move him. See if his defense can improve and maybe he can take Langston Galloway's spot.
You need 2-way wings, 2-way shooting bigs, and you can't allow low iq players on the court. Assist/turnover ratio is crucial. Shooting point guards are icing on the cake IF they are plus defenders.
Weaver & Casey, govern yourselves accordingly!
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#27 » by sludgefoot » Mon Dec 3, 2018 10:31 pm

Kaboom3 wrote:Just don't see this guy being the right fit for Casey's system given his apparent passion for defense. I also have noticed that whenever Kennard's name is mentioned concerning his return from injury that Casey is not overly excited to run him back out there. I may be wrong but with the team performing extremely well without him, should Kennard be moved in a deal for an improvement at the 2/3 or even a solid backup 4/5. If Blake or Drummond go down this team is toast. I also think that Casey has a great deal of confidence in Galloway and Bruce Brown's defense. The fact is, Kennard would definitely bring a solid player in return given his ability to shoot and his low salary. Should the Pistons go "all in" for this season and mortgage a future piece that in reality does not appear the new regime likes all that much? Thoughts?
Confusing that so many think highly of Luke's value, yet he can't get run in front of a 5pt career guy, a 8 pt career guy, and a small forward that is now starting who can't score.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#28 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Dec 6, 2018 4:46 am

This guys hot garbage. All he can do is hit open 3s. Hes not athletic at all. Hes already the same age as Stanley.

Not sure what he did as rookie to impress people so much. He shot a good % from 3 on really low volume due to getting open shots. He averaged 7.6pts in 20mins. Nothing about this guy says good player at the nba level.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#29 » by Invictus88 » Thu Dec 6, 2018 5:49 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:This guys hot garbage. All he can do is hit open 3s. Hes not athletic at all. Hes already the same age as Stanley.

Not sure what he did as rookie to impress people so much. He shot a good % from 3 on really low volume due to getting open shots. He averaged 7.6pts in 20mins. Nothing about this guy says good player at the nba level.

So I'm starting to arrive here, but not yet. I think some of us still hold out hope that he's going to take a step forward now that he doesn't have to deal with SVG.

The point of optimism is his shot and at least a bit of ball skills. The first is a very valuable asset in today's league. However, his downfalls have been tentativeness and injury.

He had a couple of good breakout games last year but then had to cut things short (possibly injured? I don't remember). This offseason he supposedly looked good but then got hurt and he's now just getting back.

He could end up just being one big tease. It's entirely possible. However, there's still at least a small bit of hope left.

One thing is certain though: moving him would be selling low. He's at his floor right now value-wise and is still on his rookie deal so there's little risk in waiting to see if he develops.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#30 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:02 pm

It's really sad to see all the knee jerk Kennard haters flock here after 2 freaking games since coming back from injury, against 2 elite teams, and with inconsistent expectations and minutes. He had a really nice rookie year and now after essentially missing several months due to back to back minor injuries he is visibly rusty and all of sudden he's a bust? What a joke. He has played only 5 games this year and 2 of those games were actually solid games with the past 2 being easily the worst. How in the world are people saying that Kennard has never shown anything in the NBA after having a good rookie year? You guys hating on Kennard mock people for overreacting to his potential but you are the ones overreacting far worse after a couple bad games. Grow up and give the guy a chance. How many times do we need to go down this road? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a strong correlation between the people spewing vitriol towards Kennard and the people who wanted Mitchell in the draft. Apparently, if the pistons draft someone that we didn't want as fans then we should hope that player fails for us. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,347

Post#31 » by buzzkilloton » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:17 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:It's really sad to see all the knee jerk Kennard haters flock here after 2 freaking games since coming back from injury, against 2 elite teams, and with inconsistent expectations and minutes. He had a really nice rookie year and now after essentially missing several months due to back to back minor injuries he is visibly rusty and all of sudden he's a bust? What a joke. He has played only 5 games this year and 2 of those games were actually solid games with the past 2 being easily the worst. How in the world are people saying that Kennard has never shown anything in the NBA after having a good rookie year? You guys hating on Kennard mock people for overreacting to his potential but you are the ones overreacting far worse after a couple bad games. Grow up and give the guy a chance. How many times do we need to go down this road? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a strong correlation between the people spewing vitriol towards Kennard and the people who wanted Mitchell in the draft. Apparently, if the pistons draft someone that we didn't want as fans then we should hope that player fails for us. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

He averaged 7.6 pts in 20mins as a 21year old rookie. Thats not "a really nice rookie year". Thats not impressive at all for a lottery pick whos old for an nba rookie.

The "two solid games" were him coming in at garbage time and playing against Gleague caliber players. He had 7 and 8 pts in those games and were calling those "solid". Our 2nd round picks show more talent then him. His only +nba trait is 3pt shooting thats it.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#32 » by DetroitPistons » Thu Dec 6, 2018 10:33 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:It's really sad to see all the knee jerk Kennard haters flock here after 2 freaking games since coming back from injury, against 2 elite teams, and with inconsistent expectations and minutes. He had a really nice rookie year and now after essentially missing several months due to back to back minor injuries he is visibly rusty and all of sudden he's a bust? What a joke. He has played only 5 games this year and 2 of those games were actually solid games with the past 2 being easily the worst. How in the world are people saying that Kennard has never shown anything in the NBA after having a good rookie year? You guys hating on Kennard mock people for overreacting to his potential but you are the ones overreacting far worse after a couple bad games. Grow up and give the guy a chance. How many times do we need to go down this road? I have a sneaking suspicion that there is a strong correlation between the people spewing vitriol towards Kennard and the people who wanted Mitchell in the draft. Apparently, if the pistons draft someone that we didn't want as fans then we should hope that player fails for us. Yeah, that makes a ton of sense.

He averaged 7.6 pts in 20mins as a 21year old rookie. Thats not "a really nice rookie year". Thats not impressive at all for a lottery pick whos old for an nba rookie.

The "two solid games" were him coming in at garbage time and playing against Gleague caliber players. He had 7 and 8 pts in those games and were calling those "solid". Our 2nd round picks show more talent then him. His only +nba trait is 3pt shooting thats it.

His ppg are fine for a rookie, especially one who wasn't handed a starting spot and unlimited minutes right out of the game. His percentages were very good but of course you don't want to mention that part nor do you want to mention all of the flashes he showed last year along with his craftiness and ball handling. There was a reason they wanted to experiment with him at PG before SVG got canned. Even his defense has at least been average. But, as usual, this schizo board is dominated by mantras that never die. For example "Kennard can only shoot" despite all of the visual evidence we have seen that is contrary to that. The fact that you think our 2nd round picks (BB and KT) have shown more just shows how big of a troll you are.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#33 » by sludgefoot » Fri Dec 7, 2018 1:38 am

Thank you for a common sense comment.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
JD43320
Veteran
And1: 774

Post#34 » by JD43320 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:11 am

Kennard has zero value right now. Best to let him get healthy and see what he can do. Teams are exactly tripping over themselves to get a guy that wasn't thought that high of in the draft and hasn't shown much since.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#35 » by Snakebites » Fri Dec 7, 2018 2:34 am

JD43320 wrote:Kennard has zero value right now. Best to let him get healthy and see what he can do. Teams are exactly tripping over themselves to get a guy that wasn't thought that high of in the draft and hasn't shown much since.

I'm still hoping he'll become a solid rotational scorer who helps us spread the floor some, but yeah, there's no denying his value at the moment is zilch.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#36 » by tradez401 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 3:56 am

sfballa13 wrote:Think it's the right time to move Stanley instead

Go for Harrison Barnes

Maybe even get them to throw in Kleber, as he's been pretty good off the bench for them

are the mavs trying to move barnes?
DetroitSho
Head Coach
And1: 2,165

Post#37 » by DetroitSho » Fri Dec 7, 2018 4:07 am

I'm still trying to figure out how Kennard at 21 was an old rookie. TF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#38 » by ChipButty » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:47 am

DetroitSho wrote:I'm still trying to figure out how Kennard at 21 was an old rookie. TF?

Sent from my SM-G955U using RealGM mobile app

It is relatively old for a lottery pick. I'd definitely move him for Fultz or Ntilikina. Both are younger and currently out of favor with their teams. We should work the Duke angle and offer him to Brand as a potential future replacement for JJ Reddick.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 564

Post#39 » by LaSheed » Fri Dec 7, 2018 5:51 am

When we drafted Brown admittedly watching highlights i thought hed be a PG.

Now i havent seen every game but the ones i have seen I dont see Pg at all really. I see an athletic defender with some handle.

Im trading Luke for an upgrade on the wing absolutely.
sfballa13
Assistant Coach
And1: 928

Post#40 » by sfballa13 » Fri Dec 7, 2018 7:15 am

tradez401 wrote:
sfballa13 wrote:Think it's the right time to move Stanley instead

Go for Harrison Barnes

are the mavs trying to move barnes?

Im not sure, they are doing better than expected but a move like this would open up more shots for Doncic and save Cuban some money, all while leading to a top ten draft pick since i believe their trade with the Hawks is lottery protected this season

If this wouldnt work we could move Galloway, Leuer, Reggie for Wall + Morris and then try to flip Ellenson, Kennard, Stanley for some wing help

Return to Detroit Pistons