ImageImageImage

Is the time right to move Kennard in a deal?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

PerkinsFor3
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,977

Re: Is the time right to move Kennard in a deal? 

Post#61 » by PerkinsFor3 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter

Dotson would be a really nice addition.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#62 » by buzzkilloton » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:49 pm

I’ll take Dotson. Kennard can be our human victory cigar like Darko for a few years before he plays in China.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#63 » by thesack12 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:20 pm

sludgefoot wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
I also find it funny someone accusing another of cherry picking actually posts a highlight video. IRONY much?
Please, the point was he has skills that can be developed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app

LOL, you realize what the purpose of and content of highlight videos are right?

Everybody looks good in a highlight vid, that's the point. A highlight video could be made making it look like Ben Wallace was a good offensive player. Most NBA players have been featured in a highlight video at some point in time.

The content of a highlight reel is constructed by LITERALLY cherry picking plays that the subject did well.

Just because a player "can" do something, doesn't mean they do it well. Josh Smith "can" make a three pointer, but that doesn't mean he was a good shooter. A highlight video could be made making it appear Smoove was raining 3's.

When something gets edited, there will always be some kind of bias in play.

If we're going to base potential on the basis of a highlight video, who doesn't have all star upside?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,885

Post#64 » by MotownMadness » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:02 pm

Trade Robinson for him and play this guy at SF or something
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 335

Post#65 » by Drwho17 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:07 pm

Yep, good idea, Casey listens to the board.

I mean Luke K's first start at SF without BG resulted in probably 2x the most points out of the most productive SF start this season for the Pistons. With BG I would think Kennard should see even more open shots. But they might as well give up on defense at that point.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#66 » by flow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:20 pm

I have no problem with criticizing players and wanting to trade them (I'd be the pot calling the kettle black otherwise) ... AS LONG AS the player was actually given a chance to play first. You cannot judge a player based on 5 or 7 minute spurts of PT given here and there. You cannot fairly judge a player who plays like he's walking on egg shell because he'll be pulled if he misses a shot.

Bullock had this same issue for years when SVG refused to give him meaningful minutes and allow him to shoot himself into a game and gain comfort. Once someone finally got SVG to give Bullock solid rotation minutes, he started playing well. If Kennard is given the same opportunity, he will too. He's got too much talent offensively not to. Is the player you saw last night someone you want to get rid of?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#67 » by Manocad » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:31 pm

thesack12 wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
I also find it funny someone accusing another of cherry picking actually posts a highlight video. IRONY much?
Please, the point was he has skills that can be developed.

Everybody looks good in a highlight vid, that's the point. A highlight video could be made making it look like Ben Wallace was a good offensive player. Most NBA players have been featured in a highlight video at some point in time.

The content of a highlight reel is constructed by LITERALLY cherry picking plays that the subject did well.

Just because a player "can" do something, doesn't mean they do it well. Josh Smith "can" make a three pointer, but that doesn't mean he was a good shooter. A highlight video could be made making it appear Smoove was raining 3's.

If we're going to base potential on the basis of a highlight video, who doesn't have all star upside?

Not to mention that "can do something well" does not equal "can do something well CONSISTENTLY." If it was about potential rather than execution we'd all be millionaires. Well, maybe only some of us. But you get the idea.

That being said, there's no point in dying on the hill that Kennard is CAPABLE of doing a lot more than just hitting a corner 3. It doesn't count for squat until he does it consistently, even if it is only hitting corner 3's. As long as a player can do even just one thing really well and consistently, there's going to be a spot for him somewhere in the NBA.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#68 » by thesack12 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:20 pm

Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:Please, the point was he has skills that can be developed.

Not to mention that "can do something well" does not equal "can do something well CONSISTENTLY." If it was about potential rather than execution we'd all be millionaires. Well, maybe only some of us. But you get the idea.

That being said, there's no point in dying on the hill that Kennard is CAPABLE of doing a lot more than just hitting a corner 3. It doesn't count for squat until he does it consistently, even if it is only hitting corner 3's. As long as a player can do even just one thing really well and consistently, there's going to be a spot for him somewhere in the NBA.

#truth
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#69 » by sludgefoot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:37 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Manocad wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

#truth
He passed Lebron James in High School scoring records, led Duke in scoring and was considered (by most) to be the purist shooter in the draft...how did they ever put a highlight film together on this guy?

sludgefoot
Junior

Post#70 » by sludgefoot » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:38 pm

sludgefoot wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Manocad wrote:Not to mention that "can do something well" does not equal "can do something well CONSISTENTLY." If it was about potential rather than execution we'd all be millionaires. Well, maybe only some of us. But you get the idea.

#truth
He passed Lebron James in High School scoring records, led Duke in scoring and was considered (by most) to be the purist shooter in the draft...how did they ever put a highlight film together on this guy?

Paralysis by analysis

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,047

Post#71 » by bstein14 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:39 pm

Marcus Morris would be the ideal fit, its too bad we traded him away in a deal that everyone here really loved but ended up being a bad move for us. Could have likely still got Blake without Bradley in the Mix and a starting linup with Morris in it would have looked much better. Marcus Morris might be the ideal candidate to go after will the full MLE this summer. Although much like KCP, he probably has no desire to come back and play with Drummond.
thesack12
RealGM

Post#72 » by thesack12 » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:14 pm

sludgefoot wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
#truth

Paralysis by analysis

Dang Got me again. All that is obviously parlaying into Luke being a better NBA player than both Tatum and Lebron.

Tyler Hansbrough is UNC's all time leading scorer, and that definitely led to him having a great NBA career. A much better NBA career than all other UNC alums, they were all scrubs.
sludgefoot
Junior

Post#73 » by sludgefoot » Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:55 am

thesack12 wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:He passed Lebron James in High School scoring records, led Duke in scoring and was considered (by most) to be the purist shooter in the draft...how did they ever put a highlight film together on this guy?

Paralysis by analysis

Dang Got me again. All that is obviously parlaying into Luke being a better NBA player than both Tatum and Lebron.

Tyler Hansbrough is UNC's all time leading scorer, and that definitely led to him having a great NBA career. A much better NBA career than all other UNC alums, they were all scrubs.
Amazing how you read a ridiculous interpretation into what I said. Point was, and I'll say it slowly, if you watch his handle skills, shooting 3's, jump shots, foot movement skills, and unselfish team type player, you not only find it easy to find tape, but also see a player that can become a high quality player. To jump on a guy from game to game , shot to shot, is silly. For the umpteenth time, give him time and opportunity an let's see what we got. Sound fair?

ByeByeDre
Rookie
And1: 373

Post#74 » by ByeByeDre » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:19 am

Luke as a point guard is a complete joke. Otherwise, he has nominal value
sludgefoot
Junior

Post#75 » by sludgefoot » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:23 pm

sludgefoot wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
sludgefoot wrote:Paralysis by analysis

Amazing how you read a ridiculous interpretation into what I said. Point was, and I'll say it slowly, if you watch his handle skills, shooting 3's, jump shots, foot movement skills, and unselfish team type player, you not only find it easy to find tape, but also see a player that can become a high quality player. To jump on a guy from game to game , shot to shot, is silly. For the umpteenth time, give him time and opportunity an let's see what we got. Sound fair?

Great comparison, Tyler and Luke. You are really good at this.

BDM22
RealGM
And1: 3,998

Post#76 » by BDM22 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:34 pm

ByeByeDre wrote:Luke as a point guard is a complete joke. Otherwise, he has nominal value

I think people see the words "point guard" and get confused. It doesn't mean he has to play the point guard position. It's just that you could put someone in at the 1 who isn't necessarily a ball dominant playmaker (i.e. Brown or Galloway...more ideally someone better) and let Luke along with Blake initiate a lot of the offense. They could use him more in the way that the Mavs use Doncic.

He'll make mistakes, sure, but every young player does. There's no way for him or this team to get significantly better without it, and he's got the instincts to be more of a playmaker than most of the guys on the roster.

Really it just comes down to running more plays that put the ball in his hands than being the dedicated decoy.
buzzkilloton
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,349

Post#77 » by buzzkilloton » Sat Dec 22, 2018 2:29 am

Kaboom3 wrote:Just don't see this guy being the right fit for Casey's system given his apparent passion for defense. I also have noticed that whenever Kennard's name is mentioned concerning his return from injury that Casey is not overly excited to run him back out there. I may be wrong but with the team performing extremely well without him, should Kennard be moved in a deal for an improvement at the 2/3 or even a solid backup 4/5. If Blake or Drummond go down this team is toast. I also think that Casey has a great deal of confidence in Galloway and Bruce Brown's defense. The fact is, Kennard would definitely bring a solid player in return given his ability to shoot and his low salary. Should the Pistons go "all in" for this season and mortgage a future piece that in reality does not appear the new regime likes all that much? Thoughts?

Good call you were 100% right. We should of sold high.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#78 » by BDM22 » Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:12 pm

buzzkilloton wrote:
Kaboom3 wrote:Just don't see this guy being the right fit for Casey's system given his apparent passion for defense. I also have noticed that whenever Kennard's name is mentioned concerning his return from injury that Casey is not overly excited to run him back out there. I may be wrong but with the team performing extremely well without him, should Kennard be moved in a deal for an improvement at the 2/3 or even a solid backup 4/5. If Blake or Drummond go down this team is toast. I also think that Casey has a great deal of confidence in Galloway and Bruce Brown's defense. The fact is, Kennard would definitely bring a solid player in return given his ability to shoot and his low salary. Should the Pistons go "all in" for this season and mortgage a future piece that in reality does not appear the new regime likes all that much? Thoughts?

Good call you were 100% right. We should of sold high.

The coach's job is to use the roster he's got to it's fullest potential. Not to force them onto a busted system.

If we're gonna ship out our next Middleton/Dinwiddie please let us get a pick rather than our next James Ennis/GRIII stop-gap.
Crymson
Rookie
And1: 468

Post#79 » by Crymson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:00 pm

bstein14 wrote:Marcus Morris would be the ideal fit, its too bad we traded him away in a deal that everyone here really loved but ended up being a bad move for us. Could have likely still got Blake without Bradley in the Mix and a starting linup with Morris in it would have looked much better. Marcus Morris might be the ideal candidate to go after will the full MLE this summer. Although much like KCP, he probably has no desire to come back and play with Drummond.

Your hindsight is very 20/20. Morris was terrible the season before that trade.

If he keeps playing this way, he will get FAR better than the MLE.
BDM22
RealGM

Post#80 » by BDM22 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 7:38 pm

Crymson wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Marcus Morris would be the ideal fit, its too bad we traded him away in a deal that everyone here really loved but ended up being a bad move for us. Could have likely still got Blake without Bradley in the Mix and a starting linup with Morris in it would have looked much better. Marcus Morris might be the ideal candidate to go after will the full MLE this summer. Although much like KCP, he probably has no desire to come back and play with Drummond.

Your hindsight is very 20/20. Morris was terrible the season before that trade.

If he keeps playing this way, he will get FAR better than the MLE.

A lot of Boston fans thought he was the weak link last year. Poor shot selection, disrupting the flow of the offense, etc. Same problems we had. The fact that he is suddenly playing great in a contract year has me...... highly skeptical.

There's also no reason to believe that he'd suddenly be as good on our team as he is on one coached by Brad Stevens.

Return to Detroit Pistons