ImageImageImage

Game 41: Detroit Pistons (17-23) @ Los Angeles Clippers (24-17) - 3:30 PM ET

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Re: Game 41: Detroit Pistons (17-23) @ Los Angeles Clippers (24-17) - 3:30 PM ET 

Post#101 » by dVs33 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:44 am

Detroit needs another play maker in the worst possible way. Reggie can't do it anymore and the offense is 90% griffin.
It would be different if ish was out there, but we can't be reliant on our back up PG to win us games. I really wish the front office would make a move in one clear direction, because the team is currently in no man's land. Go for wins or go for rebuild.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Re: Game 41: Detroit Pistons (17-23) @ Los Angeles Clippers (24-17) - 3:30 PM ET 

Post#102 » by Snakebites » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:00 am

dVs33 wrote:Detroit needs another play maker in the worst possible way. Reggie can't do it anymore and the offense is 90% griffin.
It would be different if ish was out there, but we can't be reliant on our back up PG to win us games. I really wish the front office would make a move in one clear direction, because the team is currently in no man's land. Go for wins or go for rebuild.

We have been going for wins. This is what going for wins looks like when you have the assets we do.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,687

Post#103 » by Cowology » Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:36 am

dVs33 wrote:Detroit needs another play maker in the worst possible way. Reggie can't do it anymore and the offense is 90% griffin.

Reggie averaged over 9 apg his first 27 games with us. I *almost* don't even want to fault SVG for that contract; he was in the John Wall ball park for the briefest of moments. But whatever lightning he caught shattered the **** bottle the following year when Reggie was exposed as the hack he is. And that was before his injury. But nobody else is going to touch that contract, so we're stuck.

We really need a SF who can guard multiple positions, handle the ball, create for himself & others and spread the floor. So yeah...we're ****. Frankly I'm not sure even LeBron or Durant could salvage this dumpster fire of a roster. If it were up to me I'd trade Blake and not even because I expect us to be able to rebuild successfully; I just feel bad that he's somehow in a worse situation here than he was when he was drafted by the Clips, who until his arrival where generally regarding as the worst franchise in the NBA. I dunno what he did in his previous life to have such bad karma, but being drafted by LAC, blowing out his knee and then winding up in Detroit?? egad...
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#104 » by dVs33 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:50 am

I know, it's just so frustrating to go through this year after year. We finally get a star and we can't even put a half decent team around him.
Snakebites wrote:

We have been going for wins. This is what going for wins looks like when you have the assets we do.

dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#105 » by dVs33 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:00 am

I honestly don't blame svg for Reggie's deal. At the time it was a little high, but Reggie looked like he was worth it. I'm not even a Reggie fan.
Its just everything since then has been such a mess. Reggie's injury followed by his inability to adapt into a role he can play. He still tries to be the man in crunch time despite not being able to get it done anymore.
Dre hasn't developed a reliable offensive game and while his blocks seem to be going up he still struggles to read the play on d.
Stanley is solid defensively, but is wildly inconsistent. Luke is struggling defensively so his minutes fluctuate and he can't find a rhythm offensively. Ellenson has been a complete bust. Leuer never lived up to his deal and he has had huge injuries. Galloway is an inconsistent chucker. GR3 has been a let down... It just never ends. Ish has been the only guy worth his Del and he's bloody injured again.
I'm frustrated and tired.
Cowology wrote:

Reggie averaged over 9 apg his first 27 games with us. I *almost* don't even want to fault SVG for that contract; he was in the John Wall ball park for the briefest of moments. But whatever lightning he caught shattered the **** bottle the following year when Reggie was exposed as the hack he is. And that was before his injury. But nobody else is going to touch that contract, so we're stuck.

We really need a SF who can guard multiple positions, handle the ball, create for himself & others and spread the floor. So yeah...we're ****. Frankly I'm not sure even LeBron or Durant could salvage this dumpster fire of a roster. If it were up to me I'd trade Blake and not even because I expect us to be able to rebuild successfully; I just feel bad that he's somehow in a worse situation here than he was when he was drafted by the Clips, who until his arrival where generally regarding as the worst franchise in the NBA. I dunno what he did in his previous life to have such bad karma, but being drafted by LAC, blowing out his knee and then winding up in Detroit?? egad...

vege
RealGM
And1: 4,256

Post#106 » by vege » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:01 pm

dVs33 wrote:I'm frustrated and tired.

You're not the only one and I don't think this FO will be any better, which is even more depressing.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,380

Post#107 » by Billl » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:09 pm

Glad we got blake a win. He deserves it.

That said, this team sucks. Blake's dropping 44 , Dre nets a 20/20 and we barely won. We need Blake playing like an MVP to even be in games lately.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,466

Post#108 » by Canadafan » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Billl wrote:Glad we got blake a win. He deserves it.

That said, this team sucks. Blake's dropping 44 , Dre nets a 20/20 and we barely won. We need Blake playing like an MVP to even be in games lately.

We're a good point guard away from being a good team. Look what's happened since just Ish Smith got injured. If we had a guy like Mike Conley we'd be so good. Not to mention a high IQ guy like Gasol instead of Dre. Dayammmmm #tradewithMemphis :wink:
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#109 » by Invictus88 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:52 pm

vege wrote:

You're not the only one and I don't think this FO will be any better, which is even more depressing.

It's too early to tell about the FO given the hand they were dealt coming in. No 1st. Bad contracts to underperforming players abound.
Let's see what they do with upcoming picks and expirings in the next couple of years.

The product you are seeing now is the price of the impulse moves made up to this point.
vege
RealGM

Post#110 » by vege » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:31 am

Invictus88 wrote:
vege wrote:

It's too early to tell about the FO given the hand they were dealt coming in. No 1st. Bad contracts to underperforming players abound.
Let's see what they do with upcoming picks and expirings in the next couple of years.

The product you are seeing now is the price of the impulse moves made up to this point.

They could have dealt SJ. We will either lose him for nothing (Like Monroe) or will pay something he is not worth (we dodged a bullet with KCP). That's a huge mistake already.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#111 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:40 am

vege wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:
vege wrote:

They could have dealt SJ. We will either lose him for nothing (Like Monroe) or will pay something he is not worth (we dodged a bullet with KCP). That's a huge mistake already.

I actually don't think there's going to be all that much of a market for SJ.

I could be wrong of course, but the guy can't shoot or make plays. There's little market for perimeter players that lack both of those skills.
vege
RealGM

Post#112 » by vege » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:25 am

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:

I could be wrong of course, but the guy can't shoot or make plays. There's little market for perimeter players that lack both of those skills.

He destroyed Kawhi and he has the size to do a good job on LeBron. He can be useful in a very limited role at the right time (the playoffs) for the right team, but even a 2nd is better than losing him for nothing or paying any money to bring him back.

Luke is going the same path. We keep drafting mid/late lotto, selecting poorly, not developing the talent, and losing the players for nothing. Then we blame the lack of talent on trades, which is not true, we did well in almost every trade we did, the only horrible trade was give away Middleton, other than that we consistently won trades the last few years.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#113 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:40 am

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:

He destroyed Kawhi and he has the size to do a good job on LeBron. He can be useful in a very limited role at the right time (the playoffs) for the right team, but even a 2nd is better than losing him for nothing or paying any money to bring him back.

Luke is going the same path. We keep drafting mid/late lotto, selecting poorly, not developing the talent, and losing the players for nothing. Then we blame the lack of talent on trades, which is not true, we did well in almost every trade we did, the only horrible trade was give away Middleton, other than that we consistently won trades the last few years.

I'm not saying there's no place for Stanley on an NBA roster, I'm just saying I don't think he's going to get a lot of money as your post seemed to imply.
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#114 » by Invictus88 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:13 am

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I actually don't think there's going to be all that much of a market for SJ.

I'm not saying there's no place for Stanley on an NBA roster, I'm just saying I don't think he's going to get a lot of money as your post seemed to imply.

I don't think he's played consistently enough to garner a pick back in trade. He still has periods where he looks like a rookie decision-making wise and this is putting it nicely. Some team will probably sign him to a cheap deal on the off chance of reclaiming him but I don't think anyone is going to spend any assets to acquire him at this point.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#115 » by Snakebites » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:21 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:

I don't think he's played consistently enough to garner a pick back in trade. He still has periods where he looks like a rookie decision-making wise and this is putting it nicely. Some team will probably sign him to a cheap deal on the off chance of reclaiming him but I don't think anyone is going to spend any assets to acquire him at this point.

Agreed 100%. He's not really much in the way of trade fodder at this point.

Nothing much left to do but ride out the year with him and see how things unfold in the offseason. If someone wants to give him any kind of substantial contract, well, best of luck to him.
vege
RealGM

Post#116 » by vege » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:52 am

Snakebites wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I actually don't think there's going to be all that much of a market for SJ.

No no, for us I don't think he is worth ANY money. Even his rookie contract right now is terrible value for us. He is dumb, continues to shoot a ton of 3's even if his efficiency is putrid. We're better without him. But I think in the right situation he can be useful for someone and we should have gotten something for him, even if not a lot.

Return to Detroit Pistons