ImageImageImage

Pistons sign Isaiah Whitehead to a two-way contract... AND Kalin Lucas now too...

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,105

Pistons sign Isaiah Whitehead to a two-way contract... AND Kalin Lucas now too... 

Post#1 » by Kilo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Huh. I wonder which of Keenan Evans or Zach Lofton was cut to make this move.

Read on Twitter

Update -

Read on Twitter
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Kilo
RealGM

Re: Pistons sign Isaiah Whitehead to a two-way contract... 

Post#2 » by Kilo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:49 pm

He had a solid rookie season with the Nets as a second rounder - even started 26 games. He's more of a 2-guard it seems though looking at his stats and nothing else. His assist to turnover is virtually 1:1 which is uglee...

January 7th 2019 at 3:03pm CST by Arthur Hill

Former Nets guard Isaiah Whitehead is a free agent again after parting ways with his team in Russia, according to Orazio Cauchi of Sportando. Whitehead, who joined Lokomotiv Kuban in August, averaged 11.6 points and 3.3 assists during his time with the club.

The 42nd pick in the 2016 draft, Whitehead played two seasons in Brooklyn. He had a promising rookie year, posting a 7.4/2.5/2.6 line in 73 games, but fell out of the rotation last season and spent most of his time in the G League.

Whitehead was sent to Denver in a July 13 deal that brought Kenneth Faried, Darrell Arthur and a pair of draft picks to Brooklyn, but the Nuggets only wanted Whitehead for his non-guaranteed contract. He was waived four days later.

NBA teams were permitted to start handing out 10-day contracts over the weekend, so it’s possible that will be Whitehead’s route back to the league.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2019/01/isaiah-whitehead-leaves-russian-team.html
Weaver = Hinkie
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,943

Post#3 » by ducler » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:17 pm

Evans is cut

Read on Twitter
Kilo
RealGM

Post#4 » by Kilo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:25 pm

ducler wrote:Evans is cut

Read on Twitter

Makes sense in that Ish goes down for a month+ and Pistons didn't bother calling the kid up. Instead kept running Jose Calderon's corpse out there for too many minutes. Whitehead could play minutes in the NBA right now.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,776

Post#5 » by Snakebites » Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:36 pm

Evans must have been pretty terrible if Calderon was getting minutes over him when Ish was injured, because Calderon was really, really bad, both stat-wise and by the eye-test.

His BPM was a whopping -5.4. That's one of the worst I've ever seen for a guy who played as much as he did.
Kilo
RealGM

Re: Pistons sign Isaiah Whitehead to a two-way contract... AND Kalin Lucas now too... 

Post#6 » by Kilo » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:46 pm

Whitehead and now Sparty Kalin Lucas - seems Pistons brass is after more seasoned point guards. Are these moves for Grand Rapids Drive or Pistons have something in the works?
Weaver = Hinkie
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Re: Pistons sign Isaiah Whitehead to a two-way contract... AND Kalin Lucas now too... 

Post#7 » by kpt » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:54 pm

One can hope RJ is going away!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#8 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 am

Speculation: We’re trading Reggie for Wilson Chandler and Fultz. And we need a guard while Fultz is out.

One can dream right?
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,163

Post#9 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:17 am

We've made our move. I hope this satisfies all of us aching for change.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Kilo
RealGM

Post#10 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:32 am

ComboGuardCity wrote:Speculation: We’re trading Reggie for Wilson Chandler and Fultz. And we need a guard while Fultz is out.

One can dream right?

More likely would be Ish going in a package for Fultz, but it would make some sense your scenario given Fultz might not be ready right away.
Weaver = Hinkie
kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#11 » by kpt » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:44 am

Fultz would be ideal yet we are all wishful thinking and creating hope where there is none.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#12 » by The_Irony » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:15 am

these moves in reality have nothing to do with the Pistons.. more with the drive.. not even thread worthy tbh.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#13 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:24 am

This happens every year around this time- we make some minor shakeups to the very end of our depth chart and people try to argue that they're preludes to larger moves. I'll openly admit I've fallen into the trap before.

A larger move could possibly be coming, but these moves are not a prelude to it or an indicator of it.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#14 » by flow » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:27 am

Snakebites wrote:Evans must have been pretty terrible if Calderon was getting minutes over him when Ish was injured, because Calderon was really, really bad, both stat-wise and by the eye-test.

His BPM was a whopping -5.4. That's one of the worst I've ever seen for a guy who played as much as he did.

Your logic gives too much credit to Casey here. Casey plays Calderon because Calderon is Casey's guy. Merit doesn't factor in at all. He probably hasn't given Evans a look or a thought.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#15 » by tradez401 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:49 am

damn i thought we would've hold on to lofton watch some team get him and he becomes a solid player like robert covington because thats our luck.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:11 am

flow wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Evans must have been pretty terrible if Calderon was getting minutes over him when Ish was injured, because Calderon was really, really bad, both stat-wise and by the eye-test.

Your logic gives too much credit to Casey here. Casey plays Calderon because Calderon is Casey's guy. Merit doesn't factor in at all. He probably hasn't given Evans a look or a thought.

Well, the fact that we're now replacing him with another nameless guy doesn't say positive things either.

That's not a Casey decision.
GBanga3
Rookie
And1: 404

Post#17 » by GBanga3 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:07 pm

The_Irony wrote:these moves in reality have nothing to do with the Pistons.. more with the drive.. not even thread worthy tbh.

Yeah right mate, way too much traffic around this board of late, can we please refrain from discussing anything until we win our next championship or finally acquire LeBron.

For real though very weird that we continued to run ‘no way Jose’ for all that time, then finally Ish comes back and we bring in some possible other pg options.

Can we cut Jose? Is that something we can do? I’m sure his late for his own funeral
-Official #1 Australian Pistons Fan-
Kilo
RealGM

Post#18 » by Kilo » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:21 pm

Yesterday was the deadline to sign two-way G-League contracts which is why we made the moves, along with other teams. Also I wonder if this was planned when Lofton and Evans was signed because they get their full two-way contract money and now are open to 10-day contracts or being signed by any other team the ROS or heading overseas etc. Also I think they stay property of Grand Rapids as well - we just can't call them up any more.

The Whitehead signing I get as he actually could have a NBA future as an end of bench guy. Lucas is a pure marketing ploy for Grand Rapids Drive, though maybe he gets a late season game like Hearn and Felder got last season I guess.
Weaver = Hinkie
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#19 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:35 pm

Lofton took 5+ 3s per game and shot 23% in the G League.
I can see why he was let go, here.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#20 » by tradez401 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:36 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:Lofton took 5+ 3s per game and shot 23% in the G League.
I can see why he was let go, here.

oh i didnt know his g league stats just know what he did in the summer league too bad.

Return to Detroit Pistons