ImageImageImage

Official 2019 Draft Thread

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Re: Official 2019 Draft Thread 

Post#1061 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 pm

pistonpat wrote:Looks like the Pistons and Arn took care of his son(the agent) of the 37th pick. I was wondering why any team would give up three 2nd round picks to move up 8 spots. Did not make any sense. Now it does..

Could have been some shadiness attempt going on - Sirvydis didn't work out with any team, but remained in the draft. Sounds like Tellem might have tried to sneak the kid to us and then got word another team before us was interested and tipped off his father. Also went from surely staying in Europe to it being 50-50 he could come over.

Ed traded #30 and according to Edwards at the Athletic started calling as soon as #32 trying to acquire a pick back to draft Sirvydis. Ed called every team from #32 to #37 before Dallas accepted.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,252

Post#1062 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:05 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:
pistonpat wrote:Looks like the Pistons and Arn took care of his son(the agent) of the 37th pick. I was wondering why any team would give up three 2nd round picks to move up 8 spots. Did not make any sense. Now it does..

Yeah that looks seriously sketching. I'm even more disgusted. Tellem looking out for his son instead of the team. I would can his ass before the draft even ended over this.

If they were just looking out for Tellems son, why not just wait till 45?

Either the Pistons were super impatient or they truly believe he would have been selected before 45.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1063 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:07 pm

Do we know which picks we acquired for #30 and then which ones we traded to Dallas?

Cleveland's only owned 2020 second rounder was Utah's for example. If we got that one and flipped it to Dallas well it's pretty much valueless.

I believe I've read that we still have Portland's 2023 second rounder. Also the future second rounder we traded for Jordan Bone is top 55 protected, so likely never conveys. We sent $2M for the pick because we didn't really include a second rounder. So there potentially is another second rounder from the Cleveland deal we still own.
Weaver = Hinkie
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1064 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Kilo wrote:Do we know which picks we acquired for #30 and then which ones we traded to Dallas?

Cleveland's only owned 2020 second rounder was Utah's for example. If we got that one and flipped it to Dallas well it's pretty much valueless.

I believe I've read that we still have Portland's 2023 second rounder. Also the future second rounder we traded for Jordan Bone is top 55 protected, so likely never conveys. We sent $2M for the pick because we didn't really include a second rounder. So there potentially is another second rounder from the Cleveland deal we still own.

Doing my own homework -
Read on Twitter

So this is a phantom second rounder - sounds like we really only got three from Cleveland then if this was one of their four sent to us. And I think it was as how else did we get it as we only have Lakers 2021 second rounder until 2024 otherwise.
Weaver = Hinkie
King Bugs
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Post#1065 » by King Bugs » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:27 pm

Just an observation, the ridiculousness that happened with the 30th pick last night deflated the board so bad, that Jordan Bones' thread only has a handful of posts and the "nepotism Euro" we drafted doesn't even have a thread. :lol:
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1066 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:37 pm

King Bugs wrote:Just an observation, the ridiculousness that happened with the 30th pick last night deflated the board so bad, that Jordan Bones' thread only has a handful of posts and the "nepotism Euro" we drafted doesn't even have a thread. :lol:

It was that terrible. You draft Porter Jr or Claxton and then just draft Bone with #45 (assuming Sirvydis would have been drafted before we picked) and the board would love our draft.

Hell if we drafted Sirvydis #30 and Bone #45 and didn't have the $3M for Gores blow habit and the 2023 Portland second rounder to show for the Cleveland trade I think the board would feel better about the draft still.
Weaver = Hinkie
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#1067 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:57 pm

From what I've read on twitter it seems Sirvydis is ready to come over straight away and start from the G-League and work his way up.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,373

Post#1068 » by Billl » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:14 pm

The FO targeted a guy and then went out and got him. It's a super aggressive move. If dude busts out, they look like geniuses. Otherwise, that's a whole lot of movement for nothing.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1069 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:19 pm

Jstock12 wrote:From what I've read on twitter it seems Sirvydis is ready to come over straight away and start from the G-League and work his way up.

G-League is a crud developmental league still. Pistons should leave him in Europe as long as they can. Though his Euro GM seems that he'd rather see him leave now and get the buyout rather than develop him for the NBA/Pistons. I thought the whole point in drafting him was he was a draft and stash.
Weaver = Hinkie
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#1070 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:32 pm

Kilo wrote:
Jstock12 wrote:From what I've read on twitter it seems Sirvydis is ready to come over straight away and start from the G-League and work his way up.

G-League is a crud developmental league still. Pistons should leave him in Europe as long as they can. Though his Euro GM seems that he'd rather see him leave now and get the buyout rather than develop him for the NBA/Pistons. I thought the whole point in drafting him was he was a draft and stash.

As much as I disliked the pick, partly because he was looking like a draft and stash, after digesting it a bit I would rather him stay in Europe.

Detroit has a well deserved reputation of being poor developers of prospects. Its not a great idea, to have try to develop 2 very similar body type players that play the same position. They also have Svi that if they want to see if he has anything at all in him, he's going to need minutes at the 3. Then they are still going to have to try and develop 3 players at the other wing spot in Brown/Kennard/Thomas.

Having Snell get minutes on this team isn't a positive.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#1071 » by thesack12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:33 pm

Kilo wrote:
Read on Twitter

So it appears that Detroit is now allowing nepotism to be a factor in making basketball decisions.

Man the hits just never stop coming with this team.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,288

Post#1072 » by Jstock12 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:37 pm

Kilo wrote:

Some more ammunition for the conspiracy theorists - Linas Kleiza, who's the sports director of Sirvydis' current team, said that he spoke with Ed Stefanski not too long ago (they're still on good terms from when Kleiza played in the NBA), but apparently Ed didn't mention anything about Sirvydis. Which makes me think either Stefanski was being secretive (why though? they were just having a friendly chat) or they didn't scout Sirvydis at all and he wasn't even on their scouts radar.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1073 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:49 pm

Jstock12 wrote:
Kilo wrote:

Some more ammunition for the conspiracy theorists - Linas Kleiza, who's the sports director of Sirvydis' current team, said that he spoke with Ed Stefanski not too long ago (they're still on good terms from when Kleiza played in the NBA), but apparently Ed didn't mention anything about Sirvydis. Which makes me think either Stefanski was being secretive (why though? they were just having a friendly chat) or they didn't scout Sirvydis at all and he wasn't even on their scouts radar.

He didn't want to tip off Kleiza of their interest as he might mention it to other Euro scouts and get other teams to draft him before we picked. There was word from one of the Draftniks last night that Detroit had promised to draft him at #45, but they panicked and traded up.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,755

Post#1074 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:58 pm

Kilo wrote:
Kilo wrote:Do we know which picks we acquired for #30 and then which ones we traded to Dallas?

Doing my own homework -
Read on Twitter

So this is a phantom second rounder - sounds like we really only got three from Cleveland then if this was one of their four sent to us. And I think it was as how else did we get it as we only have Lakers 2021 second rounder until 2024 otherwise.

So there are now no second rounders left from that trade? I thought the purpose was to restock seconds...

Ugh. Don’t even care anymore. Seems Snell really was the main reason we did that trade. There’s nothing much else to show for it here. And that feels crummy.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#1075 » by coordinator0 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:05 am

Read on Twitter

Whew. At least only one out of those four would have been bad.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#1076 » by coordinator0 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:07 am

Snakebites wrote:So there are now no second rounders left from that trade? I thought the purpose was to restock seconds...

Ugh. Don’t even care anymore. Seems Snell really was the main reason we did that trade. There’s nothing much else to show for it here. And that feels crummy.

I think that's referring to the pick Detroit gave up for Bone. Not the one they they kept, whatever that is.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1077 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:16 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:So there are now no second rounders left from that trade? I thought the purpose was to restock seconds...

I think that's referring to the pick Detroit gave up for Bone. Not the one they they kept, whatever that is.

Oh, okay. So we still have 1 left? Slightly better.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1078 » by Kilo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:58 am

Snakebites wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Yeah, we have the 2023 Portland second rounder left from the Cleveland for #30 trade. The Top 55 Miami pick we dealt for Bone will never be sent - which is why we attached $2M for it. GS paid 1.3M for #41, Miami paid 1.9M for 44 (or vice versa) a day before the draft. Pistons saw Bone as a mid-40's worthy pick and thus paid that price even for the 57 OA slot.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#1079 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:03 am

Kilo wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:

Yeah, we have the 2023 Portland second rounder left from the Cleveland for #30 trade. The Top 55 Miami pick we dealt for Bone will never be sent - which is why we attached $2M for it. GS paid 1.3M for #41, Miami paid 1.9M for 44 (or vice versa) a day before the draft. Pistons saw Bone as a mid-40's worthy pick and thus paid that price even for the 57 OA slot.

That’s still only 2 second rounders for a while, though I suppose if our last 2 years have shown anything it’s that second rounders are fairly easy to get if there’s a guy you want.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#1080 » by Kilo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:17 am

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Oh, okay. So we still have 1 left? Slightly better.

That’s still only 2 second rounders for a while, though I suppose if our last 2 years have shown anything it’s that second rounders are fairly easy to get if there’s a guy you want.

Lakers 2021 second rounder value nose dived with AD trade as well. 2021 Lakers and 2023 Trailblazers. I think we have ours back starting 2024.
Weaver = Hinkie

Return to Detroit Pistons