ImageImageImage

Bruce Brown this Pistons fan sees you.

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Bruce Brown this Pistons fan sees you. 

Post#1 » by zeebneeb » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:21 pm

Bruce brown goes about his business playing damn good defense with that crazy eyed tenacity few NBA players have on that side of the ball. He obviously watches tape on his opponents and comes ready to battle every night.

Things he should do to become a legitimate starter in this league;

1.)Ball handling. At his position he absolutely must have solid handles and the ability to bring the ball up the floor and initiate the offense from time to time. With improved ball handling skills will come more scoring opportunities off of screens, and dives to the basket.

2.)shooting. 36%+ from three. Brown would be an amazing 3-D player as his defense is already there. Catch and shoot, coming off of screens and curls.

3.)Strength. This goes hand in hand with shooting. Improved strength will allow him to rise up and shoot those 3's off of screens and curls. This will also allow him to defend larger players with more effectiveness.

Brown is an old school type of player, and with the right changes could be amazing at his position. Great job for a rookie. A rookie starter for a soon to be playoff team. He is never talked about, but his defense, for a rookie has been nothing short of brilliant.

This old school Pistons fan recognizes your defense Bruce. Keep it up.
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Re: Bruce Brown this Pistons fan sees you. 

Post#2 » by hoophabit » Mon Apr 1, 2019 5:46 pm

Bruce is a good team player. Gives up his body and hustles at all times. I'm sure he can get stronger, but he was the strongest guard at the combine last year, and was second overall in the bench press with 17 reps. Definitely needs a more consistent shot. Casey obviously likes what he brings.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#3 » by Billl » Mon Apr 1, 2019 7:33 pm

For a second round pick, defensively he's killing it. Let's not try to undersell how much he needs to improve offensively though. He might well have the lowest scoring output of any rotation player in the league. His handle looks fine and his shot isn't bad looking, but his confidence on that end is extremely low. He obviously is a hard worker, so I expect him to improve, but I don't think it's going to come naturally to him.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,045

Post#4 » by bstein14 » Mon Apr 1, 2019 8:03 pm

He's very much like a young Aaron Afflalo type. And he knows he needs to work like hell this summer getting better on that three point shot so I think his potential is there to take a big step forward next summer. You have to love the way he gets after it defensively and the fact as a rookie 2nd rounder he's been willing to call out other Pistons players for lack of effort/energy. He is going to have a long career in this league even if he isn't a starter long term.
pistonsbball
Veteran
And1: 1,550

Post#5 » by pistonsbball » Mon Apr 1, 2019 11:05 pm

Bruce will make it. He's not just talk and will actually work to improve his game. He's a competitor and wants to win.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:50 pm

If he's like a diamond in the rough like how the Jerami Grants or Andre Roberson's of the world, then we got a good piece.

Honestly, he does look like he's in that mold of what Roberson is. Except his shot doesn't look broken which is a good sign.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#7 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:05 pm

It's nice having Brown to put on the opposing team's best perimeter player, especially when we have no good SFs, but I have a hard time seeing him developing into a consistently competent offensive player. Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he will be a poor man's Tony Allen.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,715

Post#8 » by zeebneeb » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:29 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:It's nice having Brown to put on the opposing team's best perimeter player, especially when we have no good SFs, but I have a hard time seeing him developing into a consistently competent offensive player. Hopefully I'm wrong but I think he will be a poor man's Tony Allen.
That's what I'm hoping for. If he can consistently hit the 3 (33% would even work)he becomes a threat on offense and coupled with his defense, you have that starter that just hounds whoever hes matched up against. Pair him with Bradley Beal. They just fired their GM of 50 years so they may be open to a quick chat.
srt4b
Head Coach
And1: 93

Post#9 » by srt4b » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:22 pm

I see the hustle but I also see a ton of low IQ plays out there. Lots of blown assignments, ball watching, getting blown out on picks, etc. His offense is so terrible he is a liability even when playing decent defense.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#10 » by Moses ShamMoses » Thu Apr 4, 2019 1:47 pm

He needs to work hard this summer to make it in this league but I'm happy with him being a second rounder at all.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,772

Post#11 » by Snakebites » Thu Apr 4, 2019 7:18 pm

Brown's gotta be one of the worst starters in the NBA, if not the worst.

And that's totally not his fault- he shouldn't be starting but we need somebody who can play a lick of defense. I like him. He plays hard- he's just not all that capable. I have hope that he'll eventually become a solid guy off the bench, but another starting wing is a must for this team, and I'm not sure Kennard can ever be it. Need to look externally again.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#12 » by sludgefoot » Sat Apr 6, 2019 12:01 am

Maybe someday. Not even close now. 4pts a game...there is no defense good enough to make up for 4pts a game, mediocre ball handling, very limited BB sense. Forcing your offense to play 4 on 5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#13 » by El Chivo » Sat Apr 6, 2019 8:20 am

Appreciate the hustle but we have the Nba worst backcourt.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#14 » by Manocad » Sat Apr 6, 2019 7:38 pm

Billl wrote:For a second round pick, defensively he's killing it. Let's not try to undersell how much he needs to improve offensively though. He might well have the lowest scoring output of any rotation player in the league. His handle looks fine and his shot isn't bad looking, but his confidence on that end is extremely low. He obviously is a hard worker, so I expect him to improve, but I don't think it's going to come naturally to him.

Agree 100%
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,503

Post#15 » by whitehops » Sat Apr 6, 2019 10:06 pm

i initially thought his ceiling offensively would be something like tyreke evans/lance stephenson/evan turner where they aren't great scorers but can dribble and create a bit as wing players. i thought the same thing about stanley johnson as a prospect (because he was the lead ball handler in college, like brown) though so that doesn't really mean much.

he comes from a football background so i don't know if shooting is going to come naturally to him, hopefully he can at least be a passable catch and shoot player though.
sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Post#16 » by sludgefoot » Tue Apr 9, 2019 12:22 pm

Good defense, poor 3pt shot, no jump shot, limited ball handling, and best move is driving to basket = Stanley (Bruce Brown) Johnson.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
Redeemed
Sixth Man
And1: 419

Post#17 » by Redeemed » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:31 pm

Physical defender versatile enough to guard multiple positions. This puts him head and shoulders above where rookies typically are in their first season. He's athletic. His offensive skills can be described as raw at best. There doesn't appear to be anything fundamentally broken with his jump shot, so it may be just a matter of refining his fundamentals and developing his touch. His handles are basic -- there's definite room for improvement here.

The good thing is, he appears to be a coachable hard worker so there's reason to expect him to improve.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#18 » by El Chivo » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:34 pm

I think he can establish himself as a decent starter and role player.

Khyri Thomas looks really awful, instead. Hope we didn't waste 2 second rounders with him.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Mr. Krabs
Sixth Man
And1: 249

Post#19 » by Mr. Krabs » Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:17 pm

There is no way this guy can score any more points with our current game plan. He takes 4 shots a game.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#20 » by Billl » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:03 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:There is no way this guy can score any more points with our current game plan. He takes 4 shots a game.

And he passes up 10. If was confident in his 3 ball, he would have plenty of open looks. He's not, so he just keeps the ball moving.

Return to Detroit Pistons