ImageImageImage

Detroit Pistons star Blake Griffin out for remainder of season

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#1 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:01 am

Detroit Pistons star forward Blake Griffin is out for the remainder of the season with knee tendonitis:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

https://pistonpowered.com/2019/04/01/breaking-detroit-pistons-star-blake-griffin-remainder-season/

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
haulerch
Senior
And1: 269

Re: Detroit Pistons star Blake Griffin out for remainder of season 

Post#2 » by haulerch » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:36 am

This is false.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#3 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:40 am

OMG! I thought for a minute this was just an April Fools joke! SON OF A BITCH!!!!
Arp590
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,989

Post#4 » by Arp590 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:53 am

Pretty lame joke by Piston Powered.. considering his injury history.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Post#5 » by Kilo » Tue Apr 2, 2019 12:41 pm

Any "news" site doing April Fools crap is just hurting themselves. It's not funny or professional.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#6 » by DBC10 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 1:47 pm

At least make it a witty or a funny joke not tug at the hearts of a fanbase that's rabid for any sniff of success like this one is.

Whatever happened to actual good funny material or well thought out pranks?
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#7 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:01 pm

This reminds me of when Discovery Channel made fake documentaries about mermaids and super sharks and played them off as legit for a joke. It really just annoyed everyone and discredited them.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,773

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:41 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:This reminds me of when Discovery Channel made fake documentaries about mermaids and super sharks and played them off as legit for a joke. It really just annoyed everyone and discredited them.

The worst part of it was a healthy chunk of people thought they were real...
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,678

Post#9 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 2:53 pm

Can we at least put April fools in the thread title? It's not April 1st anymore so if you are like me and didn't see this until today...

Let's just say I'm having a hard time seeing the humor. (Maybe I just need coffee)
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Tue Apr 2, 2019 4:38 pm

Invictus88 wrote:Can we at least put April fools in the thread title? It's not April 1st anymore so if you are like me and didn't see this until today...

Let's just say I'm having a hard time seeing the humor. (Maybe I just need coffee)

April fools jokes aren’t supposed to amuse the target, they’re supposed to amuse the person doing them. Which makes them an odd choice for a media outlet.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#11 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 2, 2019 6:09 pm

Lighten up, Francis-es. The whole point of an April Fool’s joke is that it’s believable. There’s no point of an April Fool’s joke headline that reads “Griffin out for remainder of season; smoked cigar, drank beer, turned into donkey” with “Ha! April Fools!” in the article. Like gee, no s**t, we never would have guessed.

So if it got you amped up, they did it right. Quitcherbitchin’.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#12 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:06 pm

Snakebites wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:This reminds me of when Discovery Channel made fake documentaries about mermaids and super sharks and played them off as legit for a joke. It really just annoyed everyone and discredited them.

The worst part of it was a healthy chunk of people thought they were real...

Lol yup. I know a couple of people who were duped by it.
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#13 » by Invictus88 » Tue Apr 2, 2019 9:07 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Invictus88 wrote:Can we at least put April fools in the thread title? It's not April 1st anymore so if you are like me and didn't see this until today...

April fools jokes aren’t supposed to amuse the target, they’re supposed to amuse the person doing them. Which makes them an odd choice for a media outlet.

I think I still need more coffee.

Something that normally grants a warning on these boards (clickbait / false posts / etc) is suddenly ok one day a year. I know. April Fools...

I guess I just don't find the humor to joking about our season going down the drain; especially after he had missed consecutive games due to his leg.

It's like telling a parent whose daughter has been sick with the flu that you just saw the girl being whisked away to the emergency room because of seizures. I got you! Funny! April Fools! Meanwhile you've given that parent a heart attack.

Definitely a loose analogy as this isn't on the same scale, but evoking panic, frustration, or despair for a joke... eh. Not so much.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,600

Post#14 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Apr 2, 2019 10:55 pm

I panicked while I read the entire article til I got til the end and saw it was a joke. Since they got me, I thought it only fair to share that pain.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Manocad
RealGM

Post#15 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 2, 2019 11:45 pm

Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

I think I still need more coffee.

Something that normally grants a warning on these boards (clickbait / false posts / etc) is suddenly ok one day a year. I know. April Fools...

I guess I just don't find the humor to joking about our season going down the drain; especially after he had missed consecutive games due to his leg.

It's like telling a parent whose daughter has been sick with the flu that you just saw the girl being whisked away to the emergency room because of seizures. I got you! Funny! April Fools! Meanwhile you've given that parent a heart attack.

Definitely a loose analogy as this isn't on the same scale, but evoking panic, frustration, or despair for a joke... eh. Not so much.

Uh, no, not even close. Calling it a loose analogy is like saying Stormy Daniels occasionally had casual sex.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 3, 2019 12:49 am

Anyone thinking that having a kid or other loved one with seizures is any kind of worthwhile analogy to a player on your favorite sports team being hurt is either way too invested in their sports, not nearly invested enough in family, or just bad at analogies.

I don’t like being overly judgmental with online folks I’ve never met, so I’ll go with the latter of those 3.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#17 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:22 am

Wow this got me a day later
Invictus88
Analyst

Post#18 » by Invictus88 » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:32 am

Snakebites wrote:Anyone thinking that having a kid or other loved one with seizures is any kind of worthwhile analogy to a player on your favorite sports team being hurt is either way too invested in their sports, not nearly invested enough in family, or just bad at analogies.

I don’t like being overly judgmental with online folks I’ve never met, so I’ll go with the latter of those 3.

Come on. The analogy was to point out that some jokes lack taste in that instead of evoking reactions of surprise and humor they instead bring on frustration, fear, or worse.

Am I wrong in saying that seeing the headline of "Blake Griffin out for the season" will bring out frustrated reactions from Pistons fans? Do you find making others frustrated to be funny?

I did state up front that it was a loose analogy.

I honestly could say that you need to lighten up based on *your* reaction. Which is pretty ironic given it was a reaction to *my* apparent overreach.

Loosen up.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#19 » by Snakebites » Wed Apr 3, 2019 4:09 am

Invictus88 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Anyone thinking that having a kid or other loved one with seizures is any kind of worthwhile analogy to a player on your favorite sports team being hurt is either way too invested in their sports, not nearly invested enough in family, or just bad at analogies.

Come on. The analogy was to point out that some jokes lack taste in that instead of evoking reactions of surprise and humor they instead bring on frustration, fear, or worse.

Am I wrong in saying that seeing the headline of "Blake Griffin out for the season" will bring out frustrated reactions from Pistons fans? Do you find making others frustrated to be funny?

I did state up front that it was a loose analogy.

I honestly could say that you need to lighten up based on *your* reaction. Which is pretty ironic given it was a reaction to *my* apparent overreach.

Loosen up.

Yeah, I'm kinda humorless when it comes to children having seizures. You've exposed me.

It's a bad analogy. That's no crime, but it is what it is.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,379

Post#20 » by Billl » Wed Apr 3, 2019 1:25 pm

If my wife had casually mentioned something like this and sent me scrambling for my phone to look it up, then yeah, april fools, you got me. There is a reason this was on pistonpowered and not espn though.

Return to Detroit Pistons