ImageImageImage

Sources: Pistons' Blake Griffin likely to miss first-round series with Bucks

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Re: Sources: Pistons' Blake Griffin likely to miss first-round series with Bucks 

Post#41 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:44 pm

Who won the Blake/Tobias trade. Yikes!

Blake might be a good fit for someone like Toronto or GSW but the Pistons are a bad team that is 3-4 good players away from even competiting for a home court playoff appearance.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,442

Re: Sources: Pistons' Blake Griffin likely to miss first-round series with Bucks 

Post#42 » by Canadafan » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:05 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:I'd love for a true rebuild at this point. If we are honest with ourselves, this team isn't doing anything in the playoffs. We should honestly trade Blake and Andre while they still have good value around the league for picks and start over, truly start over, not this challenge for the 8th seed b.s. We need to be top 3 bad for a few years and build through the draft, PERIOD. Otherwise, we'll be a middling team for the next 10 years, with little hope for the future and little hope to make a splash in the playoffs.

I'd prefer trade those two to teams that have a great draft pick to give us. And fill our team with Patrick Beverly clones at every position and compete whilst adding those 2 high draft picks :D
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Sources: Pistons' Blake Griffin likely to miss first-round series with Bucks 

Post#43 » by Manocad » Tue Apr 16, 2019 6:28 pm

flow wrote:
Manocad wrote:
_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:It's somewhat puzzling too hear a knee injury -- painful & hobbling enough to prevent Blake from playing consecutive games -- be medically evaluated as "can't get any worse" with continued use... If that were the case, then one would think it would be left up to Blake's discretion whether he could play through the pain, and Casey's judgement whether Blake could be helpful enough despite his limited mobility.

Personally, I'd hold him out until Game 4 -- he'd still be far from fully-recovered, but every single day of rest could make him increasingly better compared to how he limped against the Grizzlies. He's bound to go all-out & die-trying to help the team to its only win, and the effort will almost certainly put him on crutches right after the game (and beyond, should there be a Game 5)... So might as well make that last-ditch attempt at a playoffs win count by waiting for the last possible moment to use him for one last game.

In the meantime, Casey needs to find ways to make the offense & defense work much better in Games 2 & 3, but do so in a manner that would still allow for Blake's seamless reintegration for the Piston's (probable) final stand at home on Game 4.

It has already been announced that Blake isn’t playing against the Bucks.

And in the interest of Blake’s career, there is no reason whatsoever that he should.

There's been no such announcement. It was just speculation. And there's now speculation that he may play.

When it's reported by a number of news outlets that sources within the organization stated it's unlikely Blake will play at all in the first round, which comes on the heels of him already having been out, admitting that he still experiences pain, in a series that no one expects the Pistons to win even with a healthy Blake, and he still has years left on his contract that are worth protecting, I have no problem extrapolating that into "he's not going to play" with confidence.

If you want to play the game of "isn't going to play" hasn't literally been said, have at it. I'll stand by my point. He's not going to play because there's no good reason whatsoever for him to play, thus viewing this from a standpoint of "the Pistons can still win a game because Blake is going to go out there and kill himself to win" is a short-sighted argument at best. Nonsensical is probably a better description.

I have seen/heard no such speculation whatsoever that he may play. Maybe you want to spin "unlikely to play" into "there's still a chance he could play, thus it's speculated that he may play," but that would make you as guilty of "no such announcement" as I am. Not to mention it's not germane to the discussion anyway. Blake limping out there to give it a hero's effort still isn't going to win a game.

EDIT: For the record, I heard on Jamie and Stoney on 97.1 yesterday morning say that the team source stated “Blake will not play in the first round” which Jamie and Stoney found humor in because it hinted at the possibility of 2nd round action even with Blake out. However I Googled the subject before writing this post and found no such confirmation in written news, hence my response.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#44 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Who won the Blake/Tobias trade. Yikes!

Blake might be a good fit for someone like Toronto or GSW but the Pistons are a bad team that is 3-4 good players away from even competiting for a home court playoff appearance.

Seriously?! Where do people get this stuff from. 3-4 good players radically changes a team... This is like people who say a team is 5 years a way because they had a really bad year... Teams can turn it around extremely quickly. Look at the Clippers for example. They were supposed to be a bottom feeder and now they have a very promising future. Look at the 2008 Celtics. They went from being the laughing stock of the NBA to champions in ONE off season. If we can make a really good trade in the offseason and do well in free agency we could be 50+ wins next year.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#45 » by edmunder_prc » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:23 pm

2008 Celtics? Thats your argument.

No cap space. And lets get two end of prime generational talents (both better than Blake?).

So if we could add Durant, maybe.

Right now the Pistons probably have the worst starter in the playoffs at SG/SF who cant score. Our other wing is a cast off from Miami. The PG cant/wont play defense, isnt very good at offense anymore and isnt very good at creating for others. Our star cant play a full season.

Oh and we just lost 121-86, a 35 point loss. And the other team only played their starts 25 minutes, because up 35 points it doesnt really matter.

With enough cap space to only resign some of the guys we have now ( were losing Ellington) how many players do you think we are awsy?

If the answer is a prime Garnett and Ray Allen, thats not helpful.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,273

Post#46 » by Jstock12 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:43 pm

There should be a mercy rule, where if you lose the first game of the series by 40+ points, you lose the whole series right there and then.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#47 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:42 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:2008 Celtics? Thats your argument.

No cap space. And lets get two end of prime generational talents (both better than Blake?).

Right now the Pistons probably have the worst starter in the playoffs at SG/SF who cant score. Our other wing is a cast off from Miami. The PG cant/wont play defense, isnt very good at offense anymore and isnt very good at creating for others. Our star cant play a full season.

Oh and we just lost 121-86, a 35 point loss. And the other team only played their starts 25 minutes, because up 35 points it doesnt really matter.

With enough cap space to only resign some of the guys we have now ( were losing Ellington) how many players do you think we are awsy?

My argument is not just the Celtics. That was just one clear example. This happens every year. Look at the Bulls. They trade Butler for a good package and add Porter and all of a sudden they are just a good move or two away from being right back in the playoffs. There are countless examples of this. The Jazz after losing Hayward were expected to be bottom feeders and now are also a good move or two away from being a threat in the west. You can point to how bad the Bucks beat us but it's just one game and we also didn't have Griffin and MIL is the best team in the league. The team probably has their spirit broken knowing Griffin is out. Yeah our starting wings suck but that is largely because our best wing (Kennard) is coming off the bench. Like I've said many times on this board, if we can package a couple picks and Kennard for a guy like Holiday or someone similar we are all of a sudden a 50 win team imo. People are way too doom and gloom because of unfortunate recent events.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#48 » by DetroitPistons » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:43 pm

Jstock12 wrote:There should be a mercy rule, where if you lose the first game of the series by 40+ points, you lose the whole series right there and then.

Good thing we only lost by 35...
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,537

Post#49 » by ComboGuardCity » Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:54 am

Jstock12 wrote:There should be a mercy rule, where if you lose the first game of the series by 40+ points, you lose the whole series right there and then.

Agreed. Also if your starting point guard fails to show up multiple years in a row for a playoff game, they should simulate on 2k instead. :P
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,358

Post#50 » by Spider156 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:21 am

Billl wrote:
Spider156 wrote: Blake is very much serviceable, just not for a whole season.

That's pretty much the definition of not serviceable. Your super-max all-star needs to be able to play a full season and playoffs. It doesn't really matter to us since we are first round fodder anyway, but any contender would need him available when it counts most. Obviously everyone gets hurt at some point, but it's an ongoing problem with Blake. Everyone knew that going in and we decided to gamble on him anyway since healthy blake >>>>> anything on our roster.

Any contender is able to sit him for 20+ games to keep him for the Playoffs like Toronto and Leonard. You can't compete with Blake. You have to contend. That means you need a Lebron on the same team.
Defense wins championships
Manocad
RealGM

Post#51 » by Manocad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:29 am

DetroitPistons wrote:
edmunder_prc wrote:2008 Celtics? Thats your argument.

My argument is not just the Celtics. That was just one clear example. This happens every year. Look at the Bulls. They trade Butler for a good package and add Porter and all of a sudden they are just a good move or two away from being right back in the playoffs. There are countless examples of this. The Jazz after losing Hayward were expected to be bottom feeders and now are also a good move or two away from being a threat in the west. You can point to how bad the Bucks beat us but it's just one game and we also didn't have Griffin and MIL is the best team in the league. The team probably has their spirit broken knowing Griffin is out. Yeah our starting wings suck but that is largely because our best wing (Kennard) is coming off the bench. Like I've said many times on this board, if we can package a couple picks and Kennard for a guy like Holiday or someone similar we are all of a sudden a 50 win team imo. People are way too doom and gloom because of unfortunate recent events.

It's not "recent events." It's 82 games of a team that clearly demonstrated it is a HELLUVA lot more than any one player away from competing for anything. This team's biggest problem is lack of talent overall, consistency, and depth. There is no one player in the league that fixes all those problems at once.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#52 » by El Chivo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:27 am

Don't understand what kind of kool-aid some people drank
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#53 » by flow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:52 am

Manocad wrote:
flow wrote:
Manocad wrote:It has already been announced that Blake isn’t playing against the Bucks.

And in the interest of Blake’s career, there is no reason whatsoever that he should.

There's been no such announcement. It was just speculation. And there's now speculation that he may play.

When it's reported by a number of news outlets that sources within the organization stated it's unlikely Blake will play at all in the first round, which comes on the heels of him already having been out, admitting that he still experiences pain, in a series that no one expects the Pistons to win even with a healthy Blake, and he still has years left on his contract that are worth protecting, I have no problem extrapolating that into "he's not going to play" with confidence.

If you want to play the game of "isn't going to play" hasn't literally been said, have at it. I'll stand by my point. He's not going to play because there's no good reason whatsoever for him to play, thus viewing this from a standpoint of "the Pistons can still win a game because Blake is going to go out there and kill himself to win" is a short-sighted argument at best. Nonsensical is probably a better description.

I have seen/heard no such speculation whatsoever that he may play. Maybe you want to spin "unlikely to play" into "there's still a chance he could play, thus it's speculated that he may play," but that would make you as guilty of "no such announcement" as I am. Not to mention it's not germane to the discussion anyway. Blake limping out there to give it a hero's effort still isn't going to win a game.

EDIT: For the record, I heard on Jamie and Stoney on 97.1 yesterday morning say that the team source stated “Blake will not play in the first round” which Jamie and Stoney found humor in because it hinted at the possibility of 2nd round action even with Blake out. However I Googled the subject before writing this post and found no such confirmation in written news, hence my response.

Just so we're clear, I agree with you completely that he shouldn't play.

But when he's listed as day-to-day, and when Casey says on Monday, "He wants to play. So when his body says he's ready, whether it's Wednesday night or Saturday (for Game 3), whenever it is, he'll be available." That's far from announcing he's been shut down.

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#54 » by Kilo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:13 pm

So basically Pistons season was the worst case scenario treadmill outcome - 8th seed to eek into the playoffs, to get decimated in a four game sweep. No chance in the lottery, and Blake is injured again so kills any trade value he might have built up. Reggie is crud after a spell around the trade deadline and Dre is beefing on twitter with Jennifer Hammond.

But hey, Gores gets his two home gates. If we get blown out again tonight - how many people bother going to the "first playoff game at LCA!!!1!!1"?
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#55 » by Billl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:15 pm

Spider156 wrote:
Billl wrote:
Spider156 wrote: Blake is very much serviceable, just not for a whole season.

That's pretty much the definition of not serviceable. Your super-max all-star needs to be able to play a full season and playoffs. It doesn't really matter to us since we are first round fodder anyway, but any contender would need him available when it counts most. Obviously everyone gets hurt at some point, but it's an ongoing problem with Blake. Everyone knew that going in and we decided to gamble on him anyway since healthy blake >>>>> anything on our roster.

Any contender is able to sit him for 20+ games to keep him for the Playoffs like Toronto and Leonard. You can't compete with Blake. You have to contend. That means you need a Lebron on the same team.

The problem is that you can "rest" blake as much as you want and he's still likely to go down with an injury. He's gone down with major injuries for what, 5 years in a row now? If you are competing for a championship, you really can't take that risk. Even great players have relatively small windows to win a championship, so you don't want to have one of those years wasted by a predictable injury.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man

Post#56 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Kilo wrote:So basically Pistons season was the worst case scenario treadmill outcome - 8th seed to eek into the playoffs, to get decimated in a four game sweep. No chance in the lottery, and Blake is injured again so kills any trade value he might have built up. Reggie is crud after a spell around the trade deadline and Dre is beefing on twitter with Jennifer Hammond.

But hey, Gores gets his two home gates. If we get blown out again tonight - how many people bother going to the "first playoff game at LCA!!!1!!1"?

Hopefully after another 30+ point loss tonight, the arena will be half full for the next game in Detroit.

SVG screwed this team so badly. Terrible free agent choices with long contracts, missed on obvious draft picks that caused a collective groan from all of MI, and finally a trade for Blake which essentially gives zero hope for the next three years ( i think its 3 more on his contract).

How the hell are people so bad at their jobs put into positions with so much power?
Manocad
RealGM

Post#57 » by Manocad » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:15 pm

flow wrote:
Manocad wrote:
flow wrote:

Just so we're clear, I agree with you completely that he shouldn't play.

But when he's listed as day-to-day, and when Casey says on Monday, "He wants to play. So when his body says he's ready, whether it's Wednesday night or Saturday (for Game 3), whenever it is, he'll be available." That's far from announcing he's been shut down.

That’s far from announcing he’s been shut down in semantics only. The reality is that he’s not playing; it’s just being stated as “likely not.”

And again, it’s not germane to the point originally tendered which was that if Blake played in Game 4 the Pistons had a shot at winning the game. My argument was that they have no shot even with a 100% Blake, and in no reasonable person’s mind is a 100% Blake going to be available, thus it’s virtually impossible that the Pistons win.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#58 » by Billl » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:23 pm

The pistons with blake have a shot at winning a game. We've got no shot at winning a 7 game series, but if Blake is rolling and our shooters are on and Dre is beasting, we can beat anyone on a given night. That's the most frustrating part about this team.

Return to Detroit Pistons