Rebuild?

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

sludgefoot
Junior
And1: 80

Rebuild? 

Post#1 » by sludgefoot » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:03 pm

I would rebuild around Luke Kennard.

Why? He's young, he can handle the ball, he can shoot, he likes to encourage ball movement, and he's not a selfish player. As opposed to "I am the star, everything goes through me, Griffin", or "I can't play within my abilities" Drummond, or how about the "maybe I'll develope an offense or maybe I won't" Brown, or the "I have never directed or controlled a game nor have I been considered a floor general" Jackson. Who would you pick to build the future Piston team around?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using RealGM mobile app
Det313Pound
Sophomore
And1: 54

Re: Rebuild? 

Post#2 » by Det313Pound » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:06 pm

We have to get value for Blake and dump Dre. Draft Keldon, Porter, or Okeke and ride the tank next year.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#3 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:00 pm

Keep Blake cause we probably won’t get back what we want anyways and he’s transformed his game enough to where he should be productive for the contract.

Trade Drummond, now we won’t get a great player back or anything but if we could move him to acquire back multiple ok players to get our depth back after the Blake deal then that’s a start.

Cannot draft a bust this year, even if you draft a decent player just can’t afford another Ellenson or Johnson.

Trade all the expirings to take on a big contract like a Conley or Jrue with additional assets attached.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#4 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:04 pm

Or maybe something like Wiggins+Wolves 1st for Reggie and Leuer if the Wolves want out of that contract bad enough. Draft Garland and Little then we got youth to grow with a couple bad contracts.

Garland/Ish
Kennard/Khyri
Wiggins/Little
Griffin/Little
Drummond/Thon

Or try to do the same thing with the Wizards for Wall. Yeah that’s a rough contract to have but if you can hit on those two 1st rounders then it’s still our best shot at a rebuild.
Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Post#5 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:16 pm

Pistons should look to trade Blake, Dre, or any of the vets this off-season if we can get combo of young players/picks. I wouldn't trade them for overpaid scrubs or anything, it needs to make good sense still.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#6 » by El Chivo » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:20 pm

We need a proper point guard, the rest will follow.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#7 » by bstein14 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:08 pm

Next summer we pretty much have an entirely new team if we trade Dre. Its all about finding the right FA's right now and not giving out a bad long term deals this summer. Got to get good value deals this summer or one year deals with team options for year two.

The books are clear of everyone but Blake and Kennard by next summer (If Dre Opts out). The only player we MAYBE have to trade to move into an entirely new team around Blake next summer is DRE.

Next summer you've got:
Blake ($36 million)
Kennard ($5.2 Million)
#15 Pick 2019 Draft
2020 Draft Pick
Bruce Brown (Minimum)
Kyrie Thomas (Minimum)
PLUS whoever we sign this summer.
DocRI
Starter
And1: 762

Rebuild? 

Post#8 » by DocRI » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:14 pm

MotownMadness wrote:Or maybe something like Wiggins+Wolves 1st for Reggie and Leuer if the Wolves want out of that contract bad enough. Draft Garland and Little then we got youth to grow with a couple bad contracts.

Garland/Ish
Kennard/Khyri
Wiggins/Little
Griffin/Little
Drummond/Thon

Or try to do the same thing with the Wizards for Wall. Yeah that’s a rough contract to have but if you can hit on those two 1st rounders then it’s still our best shot at a rebuild.

I have literally thought of this exact trade, right down to Garland being the target. If due diligence shows Garland is healthy and the organization thinks he’d have been a top 5 pick without the injury, AND they think Casey & Griffin can have the same maturing influence on Wiggins that they had on Dre this year, that’s the kinda move that could really pay off.

(Tons of ifs, I know, but I think we’re gonna have to roll the dice at some point.)

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#9 » by Uncle Mxy » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:18 pm

Blake is reminding me of Jermaine O'Neal and Brad Miller -- good regular season bigs who can't make it through an 82 game season without getting hurt and less effective come playoff time.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#10 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:57 pm

DocRI wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:Or maybe something like Wiggins+Wolves 1st for Reggie and Leuer if the Wolves want out of that contract bad enough. Draft Garland and Little then we got youth to grow with a couple bad contracts.

Garland/Ish
Kennard/Khyri
Wiggins/Little
Griffin/Little
Drummond/Thon

I have literally thought of this exact trade, right down to Garland being the target. If due diligence shows Garland is healthy and the organization thinks he’d have been a top 5 pick without the injury, AND they think Casey & Griffin can have the same maturing influence on Wiggins that they had on Dre this year, that’s the kinda move that could really pay off.

(Tons of ifs, I know, but I think we’re gonna have to roll the dice at some point.)

Sent from my iPad using RealGM mobile app

Yeah I just wonder at this point if Garland drops that far. I posted it on the trade board to see the reactions.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#11 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:41 pm

Wiggins is terrible and that contract is also 3 more years, I think. MINN is better with him off the court. Bad idea.

Blake and Dre are both fool’s gold.

Blake gets hurt too much and cant play good enough defense for a PF. Wrong timeline for a team to get better over the next 2-3 years. He needs to go to Portland or Utah. Somewhere he can share the load with other talented guys. Try to createva Pistons style team elsewhere with 4-5 very good players and no superstars.

DRE also cant play high level defense. Cant be an offensive focal point. Too emotional. Pouts and loses focus.

These two will not likely carry a team to continued playoff success. Anythings possible but DRE would really have to change and give 100% on defense every night. I dont see it happening.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#12 » by MotownMadness » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:07 pm

edmunder_prc wrote:Wiggins is terrible and that contract is also 3 more years, I think. MINN is better with him off the court. Bad idea.

Blake and Dre are both fool’s gold.

Blake gets hurt too much and cant play good enough defense for a PF. Wrong timeline for a team to get better over the next 2-3 years. He needs to go to Portland or Utah. Somewhere he can share the load with other talented guys. Try to createva Pistons style team elsewhere with 4-5 very good players and no superstars.

DRE also cant play high level defense. Cant be an offensive focal point. Too emotional. Pouts and loses focus.

These two will not likely carry a team to continued playoff success. Anythings possible but DRE would really have to change and give 100% on defense every night. I dont see it happening.

So you want picks but don’t want to take bad contracts to do it? And if Wiggins sucks then that means so do we so you can have another high pick. Trade Drummond also and try to add another bad contract and another late pick if your heart desires until we’re bad enough.
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#13 » by edmunder_prc » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:28 am

Yes I want picks and I dont want one of the worst contracts in the league. Yup. The league gives out draft picks each year without taking on Wiggins/Wall bad contracts.

Trading Blake would give us picks AND get us out from his contract.

Same for Dre. Unless you think he will opt out and try free agency. But no one will pay him what he gets from the Pistons. Thats called a bad contract. I want fewer of those and more of the good ones. Players not making huge sums when you can get 75% of the production from someone like Noel in OKC for nothing. Dre is making twice as much as he ought to. Baynes in Boston is making 5 million. Dre is making 25 million. Id rather have Baynes and Noel and 15 million to spend on a SF.

Bigs who cant shoot and cant play elite defense dont get paid except by treadmill teams. Dre will never be a top guy on a winning team. He is a 4th guy on a winner. So if the Pistons can get an excellent PG and SF for free, were set.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#14 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:31 am

edmunder_prc wrote:Yes I want picks and I dont want one of the worst contracts in the league. Yup. The league gives out draft picks each year without taking on Wiggins/Wall bad contracts.

Trading Blake would give us picks AND get us out from his contract.

Same for Dre. Unless you think he will opt out and try free agency. But no one will pay him what he gets from the Pistons. Thats called a bad contract. I want fewer of those and more of the good ones. Players not making huge sums when you can get 75% of the production from someone like Noel in OKC for nothing. Dre is making twice as much as he ought to. Baynes in Boston is making 5 million. Dre is making 25 million. Id rather have Baynes and Noel and 15 million to spend on a SF.

Bigs who cant shoot and cant play elite defense dont get paid except by treadmill teams. Dre will never be a top guy on a winning team. He is a 4th guy on a winner. So if the Pistons can get an excellent PG and SF for free, were set.

Who gives out picks? Late picks maybe but hell you can buy those. And your taking back a bad contract with a minor asset more then likely trading Dre

Blake we could get something like a early teens pick probably cause no bad teams will give up a top 10 to take him on.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,384

Post#15 » by Billl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:32 am

This has to be up there with the worst plans I've ever seen here. Luke is not a star. He's never going to be a star. He might turn into a servicable starter, but in no universe is he someone you try to build a team around. If you want to scrap it all, fine. Hard to argue with that. Of course, that plan is to suck enough to draft a player worthy of building around.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#16 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:46 am

Honestly with the new lotto rules you could probably just grab what you can for Blake then just try to be top 8 bad and win the lotto.

There’s really no benefit to try and be a complete abomination to be the worst anymore.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by Billl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:16 am

Eh, #1-3 is still 250% more likely to get the top pick than #8. It's flatter than it used to be, but #8 is still only a 6% chance.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#18 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:24 am

Billl wrote:Eh, #1-3 is still 250% more likely to get the top pick than #8. It's flatter than it used to be, but #8 is still only a 6% chance.

1-4 is still only a 14% it’s not crazy at all to move up from there now. Hell we used to get passed all the time by teams in like the 8-9 spot with like 1.6% chance a few years ago.

Even then say top 6 -8 then is close enough odds if you don’t want to be a complete dumpster
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Billl » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:32 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Billl wrote:Eh, #1-3 is still 250% more likely to get the top pick than #8. It's flatter than it used to be, but #8 is still only a 6% chance.

1-4 is still only a 14% it’s not crazy at all to move up from there now. Hell we used to get passed all the time by teams in like the 8-9 spot with like 1.6% chance a few years ago.

Even then say top 6 -8 then is close enough odds if you don’t want to be a complete dumpster

The odds are better to get a top pick if you stink. Obviously, you want to accumulate talent, so you take a couple good young player + the #6 odds vs complete trash + #3 odds. Ideally, you play young, raw guys with high upside and suck in the process.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#20 » by MotownMadness » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:34 am

Billl wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:

The odds are better to get a top pick if you stink. Obviously, you want to accumulate talent, so you take a couple good young player + the #6 odds vs complete trash + #3 odds. Ideally, you play young, raw guys with high upside and suck in the process.

I just build to win but tank out by allstar break if it’s not working out. That’s where we usually goof up cause a lot of times when you already know your going nowhere.

Return to Detroit Pistons