DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Re: 2019 Off-season Thread 

Post#1141 » by DCintheD » Tue Aug 6, 2019 9:53 pm

Canadafan wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:Dear fellow fans,

I'd like to see Andre Iguodala in a pistons uniform this year. How can we make this happen? What would it take?

Luv Canadafan

PS I realize giving up assets is quite the short sighted move but who cares! Just for fun

How on earth do you actually think trading our 1st round pick to swap Iggy and Snell is a good move? We’re not one move away and this isn’t 2008, Iggy is old and washed up. He could help us on defence a little but this team is so flawed that the minor benefit of defence and the loss of more shooting on offence isn’t a trade off I would want. I almost vomited when I saw your post on the T&T board.

Ummmm, I never said swap Snell.
I'm imagining an RJ and a pick or a Galloway Thon Kyrie and a pick or something along those lines

No please. We waited too long to trade Reggie. He’s finally an expiring. No need to attach a pick to trade him. Plus Iguodala won’t make a difference and he’ll be expensive to acquire if he’s not bought out.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,461

Post#1142 » by Canadafan » Tue Aug 6, 2019 10:47 pm

A_dub06 wrote:

I'd like to see Andre Iguodala in a pistons uniform this year. How can we make this happen? What would it take?

Luv Canadafan

PS I realize giving up assets is quite the short sighted move but who cares! Just for fun

How on earth do you actually think trading our 1st round pick to swap Iggy and Snell is a good move? We’re not one move away and this isn’t 2008, Iggy is old and washed up. He could help us on defence a little but this team is so flawed that the minor benefit of defence and the loss of more shooting on offence isn’t a trade off I would want. I almost vomited when I saw your post on the T&T board.[/quote]

Wasn't me
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 731

Post#1143 » by A_dub06 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:14 am

Canadafan wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Luv Canadafan

How on earth do you actually think trading our 1st round pick to swap Iggy and Snell is a good move? We’re not one move away and this isn’t 2008, Iggy is old and washed up. He could help us on defence a little but this team is so flawed that the minor benefit of defence and the loss of more shooting on offence isn’t a trade off I would want. I almost vomited when I saw your post on the T&T board.

I'm imagining an RJ and a pick or a Galloway Thon Kyrie and a pick or something along those lines

My bad mate, I thought it was you that posted that it was a good trade on the T&T board but it was actually Pharoah. I assumed it was you when I saw you suggest trading for Iggy here but I was incorrect. This is the trade that was proposed on the T&T board:

Detroit gets D.Howard and A.Iguodala

Detroit solidifies a playoff spot and gives themselves a chance to win a first round series.

Memphis gets T.Snell, L.Galloway, and a top 10 protected 2020 1st round pick (2 future 2nds if not conveyed)

Gets a likely to be conveyed 1st
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#1144 » by MotownMadness » Wed Aug 7, 2019 12:32 am

Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 4,565

Post#1145 » by Pharaoh » Wed Aug 7, 2019 2:16 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

My bad mate, I thought it was you that posted that it was a good trade on the T&T board but it was actually Pharoah. I assumed it was you when I saw you suggest trading for Iggy here but I was incorrect. This is the trade that was proposed on the T&T board:

Detroit solidifies a playoff spot and gives themselves a chance to win a first round series.

Memphis gets T.Snell, L.Galloway, and a top 10 protected 2020 1st round pick (2 future 2nds if not conveyed)

Read my response in that thread

I stated that I'd be for it if the pick had better protection.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#1146 » by DetroitPistons » Wed Aug 7, 2019 3:04 am

MotownMadness wrote:

Beast

That shooting form looks so nice. Hopefully he can get his 3pt percentage up to 39 or 40 this season.
A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#1147 » by A_dub06 » Wed Aug 7, 2019 1:08 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:

Protections or not it’s still a bad trade. 1st’s should never be included in principle unless it’s for a clear upgrade. I wouldn’t do that trade even if it was for a 2nd round pick, it’s just the wrong move from any angle you look at it from.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#1148 » by Pharaoh » Thu Aug 8, 2019 1:23 am

A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

Protections or not it’s still a bad trade. 1st’s should never be included in principle unless it’s for a clear upgrade. I wouldn’t do that trade even if it was for a 2nd round pick, it’s just the wrong move from any angle you look at it from.
Clearing Snell's cap space a year early has benefits, Iggy on the roster has benefits.

As I stated in that thread it would depend on the protections on the first.

A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#1149 » by A_dub06 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 2:10 am

Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Read my response in that thread

Clearing Snell's cap space a year early has benefits, Iggy on the roster has benefits.

What benefits does clearing Snells contract have? We won’t be able to do anything meaningful with the space, plus Iggy can’t space the floor like Snell can. In fact, I’d argue that having another non-shooter on the floor would hurt our team much more than his defence would help. I think peoples memories of Iggy’s career is clouding their judgement and aren’t actually taking into account what currently brings.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#1150 » by Pharaoh » Thu Aug 8, 2019 10:50 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

What benefits does clearing Snells contract have? We won’t be able to do anything meaningful with the space, plus Iggy can’t space the floor like Snell can. In fact, I’d argue that having another non-shooter on the floor would hurt our team much more than his defence would help. I think peoples memories of Iggy’s career is clouding their judgement and aren’t actually taking into account what currently brings.
Clearing Snell in addition to Dre, Reggie & Galloway etc gives us a load of cap space to take a swing (& likely miss) at free agents or go after trades where we take on short deals for picks from teams who want to clear space for the 2021 free agent class.

It's not all about signing max free agents - we've never been a destination anyway.

Might cost us a protected pick now but we should gain that plus more back next off-season

A_dub06
Sixth Man

Post#1151 » by A_dub06 » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:02 am

Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Clearing Snell's cap space a year early has benefits, Iggy on the roster has benefits.

Clearing Snell in addition to Dre, Reggie & Galloway etc gives us a load of cap space to take a swing (& likely miss) at free agents or go after trades where we take on short deals for picks from teams who want to clear space for the 2021 free agent class.

It's not all about signing max free agents - we've never been a destination anyway.

Might cost us a protected pick now but we should gain that plus more back next off-season

I completely understand and gaining cap flexibility is important so we can position ourselves to take advantage of opportunities but at the cost of our 1st, a later 1st or even two 2nd’s, it means that you assume that the package we are receiving with our cap flexibility is greater than the cost of the picks we gave up and I don’t think the incoming package justifies that cost. We have multiple contracts coming off the books over the next two seasons and I think our best game plan is to ride out the storm while keeping our picks.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#1152 » by Pharaoh » Fri Aug 9, 2019 12:28 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

I completely understand and gaining cap flexibility is important so we can position ourselves to take advantage of opportunities but at the cost of our 1st, a later 1st or even two 2nd’s, it means that you assume that the package we are receiving with our cap flexibility is greater than the cost of the picks we gave up and I don’t think the incoming package justifies that cost. We have multiple contracts coming off the books over the next two seasons and I think our best game plan is to ride out the storm while keeping our picks.

You say picks as if we're giving up multiple picks.

The deal on the trade board was a first. I wanted protection on that.

Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1153 » by Canadafan » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:06 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
A_dub06 wrote:

How bout 1 second rd pick with expirings of Galloway(useless), Thon(useless) and Kyrie(seems useless but a bit of potential) for Iggy?
Iggy can still come off the bench for Snell and lead the 2nd unit with Rose and provide that vet leadership.
Snell is needed to start for his 3ball.
Pharaoh
RealGM

Post#1154 » by Pharaoh » Fri Aug 9, 2019 11:54 pm

Think Memphis is looking for a first even if swapping expiring Iggy for other expirings.

Regardless I thought adding Iggy would be beneficial to Sekou and Brown more than anything.

MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#1155 » by MotownMadness » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:32 pm

This team actually doesn't look half bad on paper and should win around 45 games. I think adding Rose will be pretty big if he can replicate anything like last season.

If we could swap Reggie out for a better starting PG then i would be much happier though.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#1156 » by The_Irony » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:55 pm

one thing I will say is this front office is acquiring overall more talented players as opposed to players who are generally good at one thing or nothing at all. Jon leuer has to be one of the worst signings for any team this decade and after seeing Jeff Bower reach for cam Johnson with pick 11. Luke over Mitchell was definitely a Bower pick. can't believe that idiot was given another job.

and James Jones, like SVG will get the majority of the blame for Bowers stupid moves.

From a toughness standpoint I love them acquiring keiff and Beasley to go with Blake and Bruce, arguably the only two tough guys on the team last year. this franchise has been entirely too soft for way too long.

sidebar but I hope the org can find a way to put Danta Hall in their future development plans . his athleticism and high motor is something this team needs and if he can be developed into a functioning rotation backup big he will be nice to have.

the bar is clearly low but this is the most talented and will be the most exciting team the Pistons have put on the court this entire decade. it's the right mix of talent and toughness with a mixture of mid to high potential guys (luke, brown and sekou)
detroitKG
RealGM
And1: 5,509

Post#1157 » by detroitKG » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:52 pm

:lol: Found this gem..increasing that trade value... :lol:

Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1158 » by Canadafan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:25 pm

Looking towards the deadline. Some guys with unfavorable contracts where teams are maybe looking to get off their money for our expirings. And give us draft picks attached to these unfavorable contracts. Similar to the Snell trade. We need assets. Draft picks. Pointless to let them expire for nothing. Doing so wont give us cap room to sign anyone.

Reggies expiring for;
Gorgui Dieng $16,229,213 $17,287,640
Dennis Shroeder $15,500,000 $15,500,000
James Johnson $15,107,400 $15,794,100
Cody Zeller $14,471,910 $15,415,730
Evan Fournier $17,000,000 $17,000,000
Tim Hardaway Jr $18,150,000 $18,975,000

RJ+LG expirings for;
Batum $25,565,217 $27,130,434
Canadafan
Assistant Coach

Post#1159 » by Canadafan » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:47 pm

Insane idea incoming.
Wiggins and his ridiculous contract for our expirings of RJ LG and Thon. They throw in a 1st rounder(or multiple picks) for taking it on.

I'd love to see Bruce Brown starting at PG for his obvious defensive abilities and because I cant take another year of Reggie.
Brown Luke Wiggins Blake Andre
Frazier Rose Snell Beasley Morris
Bone Thomas Svi Sekou Wood
edmunder_prc
Sixth Man
And1: 813

Post#1160 » by edmunder_prc » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:06 pm

Canadafan wrote:Looking towards the deadline. Some guys with unfavorable contracts where teams are maybe looking to get off their money for our expirings. And give us draft picks attached to these unfavorable contracts. Similar to the Snell trade. We need assets. Draft picks. Pointless to let them expire for nothing. Doing so wont give us cap room to sign anyone.

Reggies expiring for;
Gorgui Dieng $16,229,213 $17,287,640
Dennis Shroeder $15,500,000 $15,500,000
James Johnson $15,107,400 $15,794,100
Cody Zeller $14,471,910 $15,415,730
Evan Fournier $17,000,000 $17,000,000
Tim Hardaway Jr $18,150,000 $18,975,000

RJ+LG expirings for;
Batum $25,565,217 $27,130,434

Great idea. Pistons have to rely on their picks to play minutes. Bruce Brown, Khyri, Svi was brought in, some promise in the guy on the two way contract Hall? maybe.

Get ride of reggie and get the most assets possible.

Same with Blake and Drummond. But thats another thing entirely.

Problem is, are any of those teams willing to give draft picks. None are good teams.

Where is James Johnson, Heat?

Return to Detroit Pistons