ImageImageImage

Blake and Luke

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,314

Re: Blake and Luke 

Post#21 » by Moses ShamMoses » Sun May 5, 2019 11:14 pm

it might be as simple as running more plays for Luke. Instead of Blake having the ball in his hands each possession (for either a shot or to make a play) make it 50/50 between him and Luke.
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#22 » by DBC10 » Mon May 6, 2019 1:06 pm

Moses ShamMoses wrote:it might be as simple as running more plays for Luke. Instead of Blake having the ball in his hands each possession (for either a shot or to make a play) make it 50/50 between him and Luke.

We can't with RJ being ball dominant and wanting to pound the air out the ball. And it'll be a contract year for Jackson so he'll demand it even more and try to run 30 pick and rolls each night.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,376

Post#23 » by Billl » Mon May 6, 2019 1:16 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Moses ShamMoses wrote:it might be as simple as running more plays for Luke. Instead of Blake having the ball in his hands each possession (for either a shot or to make a play) make it 50/50 between him and Luke.

We can't with RJ being ball dominant and wanting to pound the air out the ball. And it'll be a contract year for Jackson so he'll demand it even more and try to run 30 pick and rolls each night.

The real reason we can't is because luke isn't a 1A option.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#24 » by El Chivo » Mon May 6, 2019 1:23 pm

As much as I like Kennard, he doesn't deserve a special treatment from Casey... he has to earn his status.
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#25 » by Uncle Mxy » Mon May 6, 2019 8:01 pm

I don't think Blake sucks the oxygen out of Luke's game. There are so many other Pistons that suck the oxygen out of offensive teamwork, unfortunately. Luke didn't really have a sophmore slump apart from injury, and had moments in the playoffs. I think he'll be ok. There are much bigger problems than Blake and Luke.
the_l_train
Sixth Man
And1: 60

Post#26 » by the_l_train » Tue May 7, 2019 12:12 am

DBC10 wrote:

JUST HAD A VISION: What if Reggie plays amazing next year, and fools Stefanksy into resigning? :o

Let's just sign the best combo-guard possible, and start him or Kennard at starting PG...Much better option than a Reggie/Ish retread.

Call Malcolm Brogdon at midnight of free agency and overpay him to see if Bucks match...then call Seth Curry next.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by Billl » Tue May 7, 2019 12:29 am

We're capped out. The only people we can "overpay" are scrubs. Offering brogdon the MLE isn't overpaying. He's easily going to get that offer from everyone. He's great 2 way player coming off a 16 ppg season for the team with the league's best record.

Offering the MLE to Curry is certainly overpaying and would come back to haunt us. We need to stop committing major money to backups.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#28 » by Manocad » Tue May 7, 2019 1:12 am

the_l_train wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

JUST HAD A VISION: What if Reggie plays amazing next year, and fools Stefanksy into resigning? :o

Let's just sign the best combo-guard possible, and start him or Kennard at starting PG...Much better option than a Reggie/Ish retread.

Call Malcolm Brogdon at midnight of free agency and overpay him to see if Bucks match...then call Seth Curry next.

Ugh...yer killin' me, Smalls
the_l_train
Sixth Man

Post#29 » by the_l_train » Tue May 7, 2019 1:17 am

Manocad wrote:
the_l_train wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

I know how you love treadmill teams and hiding behind front office names. You are welcome!
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#30 » by The_Irony » Tue May 7, 2019 1:20 am

the_l_train wrote:
Manocad wrote:
the_l_train wrote:

I know how you love treadmill teams and hiding behind front office names. You are welcome!

you're killing him because you don't know how the salary cap works and if you do..you would know the pistons can not afford brogdon.
Manocad
RealGM

Post#31 » by Manocad » Tue May 7, 2019 1:28 am

The_Irony wrote:
the_l_train wrote:
Manocad wrote:Ugh...yer killin' me, Smalls

you're killing him because you don't know how the salary cap works and if you do..you would know the pistons can not afford brogdon.

Not to mention the whole desperation mode, like the Pistons are THIS CLOSE to being championship level thus it's worth selling a part of the future to get that championship now.

You know when you do that? When you lost in five or six games in the NBA finals. Or even in seven games in the conference finals. Not when you barely make the playoffs, get utterly destroyed in four games in the first round, and are one injury-prone star player's injury away from being one of the worst teams in the NBA.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#32 » by DBC10 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:13 pm

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
the_l_train wrote:

Not to mention the whole desperation mode, like the Pistons are THIS CLOSE to being championship level thus it's worth selling a part of the future to get that championship now.

You know when you do that? When you lost in five or six games in the NBA finals. Or even in seven games in the conference finals. Not when you barely make the playoffs, get utterly destroyed in four games in the first round, and are one injury-prone star player's injury away from being one of the worst teams in the NBA.

It's funny, it's different eras of the game that has swept us in the last ten years or so. It was LeBron in 2016 and now it's Giannis' year and he swept us this year.

We are literally trapped, just watching others get better year over year.

But I do like the Brogdon idea, but we have zero money to even put forth an offer without Brogdon hanging up the phone.
tradez401
Starter
And1: 617

Post#33 » by tradez401 » Tue May 7, 2019 4:57 pm

yeah we have no money this offseason just gotta use the MLE on the best bench player or vet available. stefanski gotta see if he can move reggie this summer.
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#34 » by Billl » Tue May 7, 2019 7:36 pm

tradez401 wrote:yeah we have no money this offseason just gotta use the MLE on the best bench player or vet available. stefanski gotta see if he can move reggie this summer.

Please no. The only way we should sign anyone to a long term deal is if they are a young guy with upside. Tossing MLE money on the best vet that would sign with is us a good part of how we got in this cap mess.
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
And1: 411

Post#35 » by The_Irony » Tue May 7, 2019 7:44 pm

Billl wrote:
tradez401 wrote:yeah we have no money this offseason just gotta use the MLE on the best bench player or vet available. stefanski gotta see if he can move reggie this summer.

Please no. The only way we should sign anyone to a long term deal is if they are a young guy with upside. Tossing MLE money on the best vet that would sign with is us a good part of how we got in this cap mess.

no it's not. signing irrelevant players no one would have given that much money to is how they got in the cap mess. leuer getting 4yrs 40 mill is highway robbery. what was SVG thinking????

if I'm not mistaken, the MLE would be less years and slightly less money than leuers contract
Billl
Assistant Coach

Post#36 » by Billl » Tue May 7, 2019 10:56 pm

The_Irony wrote:
Billl wrote:

no it's not. signing irrelevant players no one would have given that much money to is how they got in the cap mess. leuer getting 4yrs 40 mill is highway robbery. what was SVG thinking????

if I'm not mistaken, the MLE would be less years and slightly less money than leuers contract

Hate to break it to you, but Leuer type guys the the best vets we can get for the MLE. We are waaaaay at the bottom of free agent destinations. The only possible way we turn an MLE contract into an impact player is if we gamble on a young guy with upside that hasn't quite broken out yet.
the_l_train
Sixth Man

Post#37 » by the_l_train » Wed May 8, 2019 12:14 am

Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
the_l_train wrote:

Forgive me for saying we should overpay Brogdon. You got me, I am no salary cap wiz. I'm hoping someone can at least offer Brogdon a max deal and pry him away from that Bucks core.

Ol' wiretap mentioning Seth Curry today. I would probably rather have him than Derrick Rose. If we grab either one of those guys, I am guessing that would be the extent of our free agency? Fill out the rest of the squad with Glenn Robinson and Zaza-caliber dudes?
the_l_train
Sixth Man

Post#38 » by the_l_train » Wed May 8, 2019 12:22 am

Billl wrote:
The_Irony wrote:
Billl wrote:

Hate to break it to you, but Leuer type guys the the best vets we can get for the MLE. We are waaaaay at the bottom of free agent destinations. The only possible way we turn an MLE contract into an impact player is if we gamble on a young guy with upside that hasn't quite broken out yet.

Younger guys I would gamble on who may be cheap:
Trey Burke
Elfrid Payton
Mario Hezonja
Richaun Holmes
Dragan Bender
Manocad
RealGM

Post#39 » by Manocad » Wed May 8, 2019 12:43 am

the_l_train wrote:
Manocad wrote:
The_Irony wrote:

Forgive me for saying we should overpay Brogdon. You got me, I am no salary cap wiz. I'm hoping someone can at least offer Brogdon a max deal and pry him away from that Bucks core.

Ol' wiretap mentioning Seth Curry today. I would probably rather have him than Derrick Rose. If we grab either one of those guys, I am guessing that would be the extent of our free agency? Fill out the rest of the squad with Glenn Robinson and Zaza-caliber dudes?

If you're asking me, I'll tell you the same thing I've said a million times...DO NOTHING. Next season is GONE. There is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ON THIS EARTH THE PISTONS CAN DO TO COMPETE FOR A CHAMPIONSHIP AFTER THIS OFF SEASON. Make the best draft pick you can, suck for another year, let Blake continue to lead the team and instill some good culture, then make some real moves after next year.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,769

Post#40 » by Snakebites » Wed May 8, 2019 12:53 am

I don’t think you commit any money at all beyond this year outside of draft picks. Lots of guys coming off the books and a chance to re-evaluate a lot of this roster then.

If you can get someone decent on a 1 year deal, sure, why not.

Return to Detroit Pistons