Anthony Davis to the Lakers!

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,750

Anthony Davis to the Lakers! 

Post#1 » by theBigLip » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:26 am

It just went down. Wow! Best player to ever play with LeBron?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,869

Re: Anthony Davis to the Lakers! 

Post#2 » by MotownMadness » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:41 am

Should be pretty dangerous but need to fill out the rest of their roster much better then they did last year with anti LeBron style players
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#3 » by dVs33 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 1:51 am

I think the next round of moves they make will determine how good they'll be. They have zero depth right now.

Sent from my CPH1707 using RealGM mobile app
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:02 am

dVs33 wrote:I think the next round of moves they make will determine how good they'll be. They have zero depth right now.

Virtually no depth and no reliable shooters. They can’t screw this up like they did last year when they inexplicably decided to surround Lebron with non-shooters.

They’ve got the ability to make moves though.
dVs33
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 1,751

Post#5 » by dVs33 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:05 am

Granted magic isn't there anymore, but the mess they made this past season is why I'm not convinced they'll be a guaranteed finalist. They've got cap space I'm pretty sure, so they could do a lot.
Snakebites wrote:
dVs33 wrote:I think the next round of moves they make will determine how good they'll be. They have zero depth right now.

Virtually no depth and no reliable shooters. They can’t screw this up like they did last year when they inexplicably decided to surround Lebron with non-shooters.

They’ve got the ability to make moves though.

DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#6 » by DCintheD » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:17 am

Lakers got raped.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#7 » by Manocad » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:55 am

This should come as no surprise to anyone; he was never going to the Celtics.
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#8 » by Spider156 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:56 am

They're likely going to get Kemba for the max. Then they're gonna have to get veteran minimums left and right.

Kemba
KCP?
Lebron
Kuzma
AD

Best starting five in the West knowing Warriors are injured. They'll be fine. Can they use the MLE after they cap out? I'm not sure but I don't think so. If they can then it's gonna be easy to fill out the bench. They can use Biannual and probably trade exceptions. Maybe they can use trade exceptions to grab Galloway off our cap sheet.
Defense wins championships
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:59 am

The Lakers have an indication that he’d want to stay there. Celtics had nothing like that.

The only surprising thing is that the Pels managed to extract a haul that big. The only other team likely to be willing to give a lot was the Knicks- who didn’t have enough assets.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#10 » by El Chivo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:09 am

Snakebites wrote:The Lakers have an indication that he’d want to stay there. Celtics had nothing like that.

The only surprising thing is that the Pels managed to extract a haul that big. The only other team likely to be willing to give a lot was the Knicks- who didn’t have enough assets.

Toronto didn't have indications about Kawhi, but managed to win a title...
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
ducler
Cold Hard Gameday Facts
And1: 8,942

Post#11 » by ducler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:50 am

They can't give a 3rd max contract as they still pay Deng 5 millions a year... The maximum amount they can offer is 29.4 millions per year but they have to trade both Wagner and Bonga for nothing and Davis has to waive his kicker.

The only way for them to add a 3rd max is to trade Kuzma too.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#12 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:41 am

Snakebites wrote:The Lakers have an indication that he’d want to stay there. Celtics had nothing like that.

The fact that Davis has decided to play out the season and enter free agency next year was really surprising to me. If something catastrophic happens to the Lakers this year (they can't get a 3rd star in free agency, major injury to Lebron leading to missing the playoffs, etc.) and Davis leaves this will be far and away the worst trade of all time.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#13 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:47 am

El Chivo wrote:

True, but winning a title is no guarantee. If GSW didn't completely get decimated with injuries I think we would probably be looking at them as champs again. Also, Leonard apparently is still leaning towards going to LAC and TOR didn't give up 3 FRPs to get Leonard. If GSW would've won while TOR payed out 3 FRPs plus Derozan just to have Leonard walk then that would be the worst trade of all time and would cripple them for more than half a decade. The LAL better nail this situation or they may be the ones looking at that scenario.
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#14 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:49 am

Aside from LAL, the NOP now have the brightest future in the league. IMO they should either draft Garland or trade down and draft Bol if they let Randle walk.

Ball/Payton
Holiday/Moore
Ingram/Hart
Williamson
Bol/Okafor

Absolutely absurd potential...
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#15 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:30 am

Another thing for everyone to consider is that this past week may lead to the desolation of the East and should allow us to be much more confident to make win-now moves. Durant going to the Nets and Knicks is now a nonfactor. BOS will most likely have a huge drop off if Irving goes to the Nets. Davis is obviously not going to the Celtics either. Leonard is surprisingly still leaning towards going to the Clippers. If so, TOR will be a fringe playoff team with an aging Lowry and Gasol. The Nets and Harris also apparently have mutual interest and Butler sounds like he is open to leaving PHI too. Most importantly, now that LAL has 2 stars they will most likely become a very serious threat to steal away Irving, which would keep BKN in mediocrity, or Walker, making CHA a bottom feeder. I think we should be the team to swing for the fences and try to establish ourselves as a top tier seed in the East.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#16 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:19 pm

El Chivo wrote:

And they didn’t give up anything approaching this much, and certainly didn’t give up the value the Celts would have needed to. The point is the Celtics had to compete with a team that had those assurances- Davis was worth more to LA than to Boston for that reason. Why should they have tried to outbid that?
A_dub06
Sixth Man
And1: 729

Post#17 » by A_dub06 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:35 pm

DetroitPistons wrote:Another thing for everyone to consider is that this past week may lead to the desolation of the East and should allow us to be much more confident to make win-now moves. Durant going to the Nets and Knicks is now a nonfactor. BOS will most likely have a huge drop off if Irving goes to the Nets. Davis is obviously not going to the Celtics either. Leonard is surprisingly still leaning towards going to the Clippers. If so, TOR will be a fringe playoff team with an aging Lowry and Gasol. The Nets and Harris also apparently have mutual interest and Butler sounds like he is open to leaving PHI too. Most importantly, now that LAL has 2 stars they will most likely become a very serious threat to steal away Irving, which would keep BKN in mediocrity, or Walker, making CHA a bottom feeder. I think we should be the team to swing for the fences and try to establish ourselves as a top tier seed in the East.

Who cares if the east loses even more talent, should Kahwi sign with the Clips that means there’s still Milwaukee and Philly to get through, and I’d even say Indiana are better than us. You think we should trade away our expirings and picks to potentially finish 3rd or 4th and definitely get knocked out in the second round? That makes no sense! If we can get there (which is assuming a big if) our ability to stay in that position for a few season is suspect at best. 1-2 years of getting knocked out in the second round is not worth the damage to our long term outlook. If Kahwi stays in toronto, the best case scenario we could hope for is 4th or 5th, you think that still sounds like an enticing option?

People need to think logically and realise we have bungled too many picks, failed to trade for the right players and had non-existent to negative development of players to have any realistic chance of making a run for the top in the east. The only rationale option is to rebuild. We have Blake Griffin, and then a whole bunch of uninspiring, low ceiling players and a pathetic front office. Our organisation sucks and the only way to fix that is gutting the front office and our roster. Let’s blow this ****!
DetroitPistons
RealGM

Post#18 » by DetroitPistons » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:41 pm

A_dub06 wrote:
DetroitPistons wrote:Another thing for everyone to consider is that this past week may lead to the desolation of the East and should allow us to be much more confident to make win-now moves. Durant going to the Nets and Knicks is now a nonfactor. BOS will most likely have a huge drop off if Irving goes to the Nets. Davis is obviously not going to the Celtics either. Leonard is surprisingly still leaning towards going to the Clippers. If so, TOR will be a fringe playoff team with an aging Lowry and Gasol. The Nets and Harris also apparently have mutual interest and Butler sounds like he is open to leaving PHI too. Most importantly, now that LAL has 2 stars they will most likely become a very serious threat to steal away Irving, which would keep BKN in mediocrity, or Walker, making CHA a bottom feeder. I think we should be the team to swing for the fences and try to establish ourselves as a top tier seed in the East.

Who cares if the east loses even more talent, should Kahwi sign with the Clips that means there’s still Milwaukee and Philly to get through, and I’d even say Indiana are better than us. You think we should trade away our expirings and picks to potentially finish 3rd or 4th and definitely get knocked out in the second round? That makes no sense! If we can get there (which is assuming a big if) our ability to stay in that position for a few season is suspect at best. 1-2 years of getting knocked out in the second round is not worth the damage to our long term outlook. If Kahwi stays in toronto, the best case scenario we could hope for is 4th or 5th, you think that still sounds like an enticing option?

People need to think logically and realise we have bungled too many picks, failed to trade for the right players and had non-existent to negative development of players to have any realistic chance of making a run for the top in the east. The only rationale option is to rebuild. We have Blake Griffin, and then a whole bunch of uninspiring, low ceiling players and a pathetic front office. Our organisation sucks and the only way to fix that is gutting the front office and our roster. Let’s blow this ****!

I've stated multiple times that rebuilding is a respectable option and even offered scenarios for doing so. However, people have also suggested realistic trade scenarios that would make us a much better team. No point in rehashing them here. I see strong cases for both sides.
Laimbeer
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#19 » by Laimbeer » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:45 pm

Read on Twitter
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#20 » by DBC10 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 2:16 pm

I wish Griffin was our GM back when he was available, the guy was always a great trade guy and worked like Houdini with all his trade exceptions during CLE. He's extremely smart and savvy.

But I don't pencil in the LAKERS as a sure thing. LeBron is 35 going on 36 and has a huge amount of miles on it. AD is never always healthy either due to his explosive play style.

That and they have zero depth and I'm not sure mid tier FAs would be willing to enter that mess of an organization after all the drama. Not to mention when a LeBron team is losing, it's always the role players fault and not LeBron. Due to his play style and way he carries himself. Not sure many guys in the league are mentally capable of that.

Return to Detroit Pistons