ImageImageImage

Trade Target: Jae Crowder

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

GreekAlex
Starter
And1: 1,252

Trade Target: Jae Crowder 

Post#1 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:28 pm

What would it take to acquire Jae Crowder now that he’s been traded to Memphis?

I’m not sure that he fits with Memphis’ rebuild and I think he’d be an ideal combo forward with hard nosed “Piston DNA” to log heavy minutes while Sekou develops.

I think he could start at the 3 and play backup minutes behind Blake at the 4.

Is Langston and a future 2nd enough to to bridge the gap in talent? Would it require a heavily protected 1st?

Reggie Jackson/ Seth Curry/ Bone
Kennard/ Brown/ Thomas
Crowder/ Snell/ Sekou
Griffin/ Maker / Anthony Tolliver
Drummond/ Markeiff Morris

Sign Markeiff Morris to be a backup stretch 5.

Sign Anthony Tolliver to a vet minimum.

Sign Seth Curry as the backup PG.

It’s not the most exciting or sexy offseason but I think it’s realistic and would definitely make the Pistons tougher and more competitive.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Re: Trade Target: Jae Crowder 

Post#2 » by Kilo » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:33 pm

You're paying the tax with that line-up. Gores ain't paying the tax no matter the lip service claiming otherwise. Keiff will get 10M+ himself and Curry will get 5Mish.

I like Crowder though and he's a 3/4 so we could not bring back Tolly. I mentioned when the Conley trade happened that I'd trade #15 and Leuer for Crowder and #23.

I think Memphis keeps him to help rebuild the Grit and Grind.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#3 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:50 pm

Kilo wrote:You're paying the tax with that line-up. Gores ain't paying the tax no matter the lip service claiming otherwise. Keiff will get 10M+ himself and Curry will get 5Mish.

I like Crowder though and he's a 3/4 so we could not bring back Tolly. I mentioned when the Conley trade happened that I'd trade #15 and Leuer for Crowder and #23.

Keiff struggled after returning from injury and wasn’t that thrilling in OKC. I doubt he gets that much but for purposes of this post, scratch him off the wish list.

As it stands now is there any viable path to turn Galloway into Crowder with some type of sweetener?
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#4 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Kilo wrote:You're paying the tax with that line-up. Gores ain't paying the tax no matter the lip service claiming otherwise. Keiff will get 10M+ himself and Curry will get 5Mish.

I actually do believe we’d pay the tax for, as they put it, “franchise changing talent”, a player who pushes us to the east’s upper tier.

Jae Crowder ain’t it. There’s only a few players in the league that would get this team there, and we’re not getting them. I see what money we have left going to a backup pg, plus signing some veteran center to the league minimum.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#5 » by DBC10 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Kieff will be lucky to get the same contract he got last time. He's been horrid for OKC and Marcus is a tier above him.

Switch the money around Seth and Kieff, and I think that's way more accurate. Shooters are a luxury especially when they make key buckets in a playoff series like Curry did.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#6 » by vege » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:32 pm

Snakebites wrote:

I actually do believe we’d pay the tax for, as they put it, “franchise changing talent”, a player who pushes us to the east’s upper tier.

Jae Crowder ain’t it. There’s only a few players in the league that would get this team there, and we’re not getting them. I see what money we have left going to a backup pg, plus signing some veteran center to the league minimum.

Yeap, Stefanski said we'd pay the tax for a player who'd put us in the top 4 in the east. Crowder is not that guy.

As for what would take to get him, the #30, oh wait we gave it away, yeah...
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#7 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:56 pm

vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:

Yeap, Stefanski said we'd pay the tax for a player who'd put us in the top 4 in the east. Crowder is not that guy.

Snakebites, Vege.... what is the reason for thinking Crowder would put the Pistons into the luxury tax??

He only make a little over $300k more than Langston Galloway and that’s who I suggested we trade for him.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,751

Post#8 » by Snakebites » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:06 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I actually do believe we’d pay the tax for, as they put it, “franchise changing talent”, a player who pushes us to the east’s upper tier.

Snakebites, Vege.... what is the reason for thinking Crowder would put the Pistons into the luxury tax??

He only make a little over $300k more than Langston Galloway and that’s who I suggested we trade for him.

How are we getting Crowder for Galloway?

We can’t get him in addition to using all of our exceptions- too much money.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Post#9 » by flow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:07 pm

For a team in contention, Crowder could be a valuable player. Possibly a difference-maker.

For a team not in contention, and entering a re-build, it'd be a waste for both sides.

In both Crowder & Korver, Memphis has assets that teams will covet at the deadline.

CubicalLake7
Sophomore
And1: 42

Post#10 » by CubicalLake7 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:12 pm

In what universe would Memphis trade Crowder for Galloway when they have a much better shooter in Korver on the squad.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#11 » by vege » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:12 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I actually do believe we’d pay the tax for, as they put it, “franchise changing talent”, a player who pushes us to the east’s upper tier.

You need to add a 1st to turn Galloway into Crowder. We gave a 1st away yesterday.
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#12 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:54 pm

vege wrote:
GreekAlex wrote:
vege wrote:

You need to add a 1st to turn Galloway into Crowder. We gave a 1st away yesterday.

I agree, that’s why I suggested a heavily protected future first.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#13 » by bstein14 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:08 pm

I'm 99% sure Memphis would trade Crowder for Galloway and our 2020 first round pick (top 10 protected). They traded away their own first round pick next year Boston gets it unless its top 6 so Memphis is going to want to lose as many games as possible so they don't risk losing it.

I don't think that's a move we should make. I think Crowder and Snell have some overlap as far as what they bring, Crowder is just a little better at it than Snell. They are a similar height and both defend well and can shoot. Crowder is stronger and more bulky and could spend some time at PF where Snell is more of a SF or sometimes SG.

Galloway + Multiple 2nd rounders sure but not worth giving up our first for him. He helps us win a few games at best but doesn't move the needle far enough to make him worth giving up a first.
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#14 » by GreekAlex » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:28 pm

bstein14 wrote:I'm 99% sure Memphis would trade Crowder for Galloway and our 2020 first round pick (top 10 protected). They traded away their own first round pick next year Boston gets it unless its top 6 so Memphis is going to want to lose as many games as possible so they don't risk losing it.

I don't think that's a move we should make. I think Crowder and Snell have some overlap as far as what they bring, Crowder is just a little better at it than Snell. They are a similar height and both defend well and can shoot. Crowder is stronger and more bulky and could spend some time at PF where Snell is more of a SF or sometimes SG.

Galloway + Multiple 2nd rounders sure but not worth giving up our first for him. He helps us win a few games at best but doesn't move the needle far enough to make him worth giving up a first.

I agree with your assessment and my hope was to give up multiple 2nds or a heavily protected 1st.

My contention is that Crowder fills a bigger need as he can backup Blake whereas Snell cannot. I’m not a big Thon Maker believer and I don’t want to see him anymore than spot minutes.

Maybe as the season plays out the team needs will surface and Galloway and/or Reggie Jackson’s expirings can be flipped for a more thrilling upgrade.
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,942

Post#15 » by Uncle Mxy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:58 pm

I'd rather get Tolliver back instead.
GreekAlex
Starter

Post#16 » by GreekAlex » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:57 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:I'd rather get Tolliver back instead.

He’s good in spot minutes and a solid leader. I’d love to have him back.

I’m not sure Thon does anything better than him.

Return to Detroit Pistons