ImageImageImage

Pistons Cap Situation Heading Into Free Agency

Moderators: Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Moses ShamMoses
Analyst
And1: 1,303

Re: Pistons Cap Situation Heading Into Free Agency 

Post#81 » by Moses ShamMoses » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:52 pm

Kilo wrote:Maker coming back a pure five?

Read on Twitter

Its funny they left his lower body out of the picture. We all know those chicken legs are still there...c'mon now :lol:
Jeff Van Gundy on his brother's Pistons: 'He took over the Titanic and it's sinking even quicker'
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#82 » by Kilo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:53 pm

I wonder what Brooklyn's plan is with Shabazz Napier - they have to make a decision on picking up his next year by July 10th. If they're going to let him go, I wouldn't mind trading the Bullock TPE for him and having him in our PG rotation for $1.9M.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Post#83 » by The Penguin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:14 pm

So are we completely done with Ish? Seems like half think we need an upgrade from him and the other half think he'll be way too expensive.

Given we basically have one bullet (the MLE) and we have Ish's bird rights, wouldn't the most prudent plan if we are fake contending now be to use bird rights to keep Ish as our backup PG and use the MLE on the best player possible, either a wing or a big?
The Penguin

Post#84 » by The Penguin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:16 pm

thesack12 wrote:
coordinator0 wrote:Spotrac is awful. Never use spotrac.

I'm always interested in browsing other resources. Do you have any recommendations?

http://www.shamsports.com/capulator

This one is fun, maybe it's not EXACTLY right, but it lets you play with different scenarios and see where things stand.
LaSheed
Bench Warmer
And1: 556

Post#85 » by LaSheed » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:17 pm

Like Ish just cant hit the 3 ball consistently.
The Penguin

Post#86 » by The Penguin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:28 pm

LaSheed wrote:Like Ish just cant hit the 3 ball consistently.

I get it. But I hate the idea of repeating the Galloway contract with some other MLE guy who'll not be a starter but end up being a anchor contract. If we are punting on space next year (which Snell would seem to suggest unless our ownership/FO is delusional enough to believe he's a legit starting 3).

Seems like the best use of our areas for improvement are:

1) resign Ish to a 2 year deal with bird rights
2) shop Galloway in a deal similar to the Snell deal either this summer or at the deadline, ie get a draft pick from a team that wants to get off money next summer potentially for a semi-useful player
3) sign the best short term MLE player (like Brook Lopez was last year), someone like Mook / Demarre Carroll / Robin Lopez etc on a 1 or 2 year deal
4) shop the Bullock TPE in a smaller deal, ie someone needs to give up a contract for that extra bit of cap room (Lakers being a prime example)
Kilo
RealGM

Post#87 » by Kilo » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:53 pm

The Penguin wrote:So are we completely done with Ish? Seems like half think we need an upgrade from him and the other half think he'll be way too expensive.

Given we basically have one bullet (the MLE) and we have Ish's bird rights, wouldn't the most prudent plan if we are fake contending now be to use bird rights to keep Ish as our backup PG and use the MLE on the best player possible, either a wing or a big?

That means going into the tax though.
Weaver = Hinkie
sc8581
Assistant Coach
And1: 766

Post#88 » by sc8581 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 4:18 pm

If we sign a Derrick Rose or Darren Collison, capable starter at the point, we could bring back Ish and then shop the hell out of Reggie's expiring deal to add the best player possible at any position or a nice pick maybe.
The Penguin

Post#89 » by The Penguin » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:03 pm

Kilo wrote:
The Penguin wrote:So are we completely done with Ish? Seems like half think we need an upgrade from him and the other half think he'll be way too expensive.

That means going into the tax though.

Granted it's not my money. But when you have two players making a combined $55 mil, you trade for a 3rd with a $35 mil deal and trade for a $12 mil backup caliber wing (I know they are spinning him as a starter), not paying the tax seems petty. Though that's my major gripe with this team over the last decade or so, they never do anything all the way, they are halfway in on building with youth and halfway in on "contention".
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#90 » by flow » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:08 pm

Spider156 wrote:
DBC10 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:Blake for Millsap, Monte Morris and Michael Porter. We could decline Millsaps team option for $30M and get two very nice pieces to get the rebuild going. Denver could see an opportunity to get a ring this year with it being so wide open. I think this would give us around $25M in cap space too, we could conceivably keep Millsap for the year though.

If Denver does that, I think they become instant contenders.

Blake and Jokic is a dream frontcourt. And Blake's never played with a center that can stretch the floor with his shooting and otherworldly passing before either.

They're already contenders, they're just young and inexperienced. Believe me they don't need any upgrades, next season they're coming back full force and going for it all.

I agree they're an upper-level team, but I believe they do need another piece to become true title contenders. The current group is not quite there.

They should have beaten Portland, and last year they should have made the playoffs comfortably rather than lose to Minny in a play-in game. The team is missing something other than experience.
flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,339

Post#91 » by flow » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:15 pm

LaSheed wrote:Like Ish just cant hit the 3 ball consistently.

Then he should take fewer of them. But a high% 3-ball needn't be a prerequisite for back-up pg. He needs to run the offense, create, and be able to score the ball.

kpt
Senior
And1: 209

Post#92 » by kpt » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Was that Galloway trade rumor from an actual source or was someone just throwing it out there?
Drwho17
Sixth Man
And1: 324

Post#93 » by Drwho17 » Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:59 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
sc8581 wrote:Blake for Millsap, Monte Morris and Michael Porter. We could decline Millsaps team option for $30M and get two very nice pieces to get the rebuild going. Denver could see an opportunity to get a ring this year with it being so wide open. I think this would give us around $25M in cap space too, we could conceivably keep Millsap for the year though.

Need more back, The Porter family is absolutely cursed with injuries. That's pretty clever with the Milsap contract though.

Not much more, Morris is good, Michael Porter's rehab has looked good, this isn't a totally bad idea here, as much as I liked what Griffin has done with Detroit, this might be something too good to pass up. The Pistons need a high ceiling prospect MPJ fits the bill.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#94 » by coordinator0 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 2:10 am

Read on Twitter

Official now.
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,217

Post#95 » by vege » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:32 am

coordinator0 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Official now.

I was scared our idiotic FO would keep GRIII. Good thing he is oficially gone, he had plenty of oportunities and he was a disaster.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#96 » by Kilo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:59 am

13M vs 18M to spend under the tax is HUGE this off-season. Once again that Josh Smith stretch is coming back to haunt us. Without it we could have went full MLE on a player and used Smith's FBR to bring him back and use the BAE and if not a couple vet minimums.
Weaver = Hinkie
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,786

Post#97 » by DBC10 » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:24 pm

Kilo wrote:13M vs 18M to spend under the tax is HUGE this off-season. Once again that Josh Smith stretch is coming back to haunt us. Without it we could have went full MLE on a player and used Smith's FBR to bring him back and use the BAE and if not a couple vet minimums.

Let this be a lesson to all teams that stretching a contract that early instead of eating it yearly is not worth it. Never ever again.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#98 » by Kilo » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:29 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Kilo wrote:13M vs 18M to spend under the tax is HUGE this off-season. Once again that Josh Smith stretch is coming back to haunt us. Without it we could have went full MLE on a player and used Smith's FBR to bring him back and use the BAE and if not a couple vet minimums.

Let this be a lesson to all teams that stretching a contract that early instead of eating it yearly is not worth it. Never ever again.

Well if your owner is wholly unwilling to pay the tax at least.
Weaver = Hinkie
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,605

Post#99 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 29, 2019 1:54 pm

Kilo wrote:
DBC10 wrote:

Well if your owner is wholly unwilling to pay the tax at least.

Stretching him looked great in the moment. We freed up a ton of short term space plus everyone was so thrilled to be rid of him we weren’t really sweating the details. Plus, the cap was going up to 5 mill was a little less significant, though still significant as we are learning now.

Trouble is we never did anything good with that flexibility. In fact, we used it to sign some of the contracts that have weighed us down over the years.

Stretching him wasn’t the problem so much as literally everything we did afterwards. We failed to capitalize in those next couple of years. I don’t know if we could have made it worth it, but we didn’t even come close.

At least it’s all over next year.
coordinator0
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,311

Post#100 » by coordinator0 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:55 am

Read on Twitter

Updated numbers with the Robinson option declined. Not counting any cap holds since it seems unlikely Detroit is bringing their free agents back.

However, the contract situations for Doumbouya, Sirvydis, and Bone aren't fully known yet. I'm going to make a rough guess of $3.3 million for Sekou's first year with the assumed full 120% of the slot. No idea for Deividas, if they want to stash him somewhere that's probably what happens. If Bone sticks as a 2-way his contract won't make much of an impact on the cap. Lets say $80,000 if it went up from last year.

Total Salary: $118,715,217
Cap Space: -$9,575,217
Luxury Tax Room: $13,911,783
Apron Room: $20,212,783

I think it's safe to assume Detroit will be using more than the amount defined by the taxpayer MLE to sign Rose. So with the amount they're using of the non-taxpayer MLE they're going to be hard-capped with the Apron number.

Return to Detroit Pistons