ImageImageImage

About those 4th rounders we acquired for #30...

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

flow
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,347

Re: 

Post#21 » by flow » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:34 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:I'm surprised we didn't go for Bol Bol. I predict he'll have a better career than Thon Maker.

So would my little brother.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,104

Re: 

Post#22 » by Kilo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 11:16 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:I'm surprised we didn't go for Bol Bol. I predict he'll have a better career than Thon Maker.

He was red flagged completely off some team boards because the belief is his knees are all but shot already with some degenerative condition.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
And1: 4,107

Re: About those 4th rounders we acquired for #30... 

Post#23 » by The Penguin » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:00 pm

Lets be real, the actual reason we passed on guys like Porter Jr and Bol Bol is because we made a promise to Tellum's kid to take a draft and stash euro.
Kilo
RealGM

Post#24 » by Kilo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:15 pm

The Penguin wrote:Lets be real, the actual reason we passed on guys like Porter Jr and Bol Bol is because we made a promise to Tellum's kid to take a draft and stash euro.

We promised him with #45 and still had it when we dealt out of #30 though.
Weaver = Hinkie
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#25 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:41 pm

Mr. Krabs wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
The Penguin wrote:I know he's got some character concerns, but Porter Jr (a 6'6" guard who can create his own offense) sounds like exactly what we needed. And we straight up sold him.

So much so, this.

People harp on wanting/needing shooting, but the biggest need on this team by far is somebody that can get his own shot.

Camp out style spot up shooters like Snell, aren't going to take any pressure off of Blake or reduce his workload / wear & tear. Blake needs guys that break a defense down and create shots for themselves and their teammates. And someone who can attack defense and get to the dang free throw line for crying out loud. Detroit doesn't have any perimeter players that can draw fouls and get to the free throw line.

Everything filters through Blake offensively, and that is not a good thing.

I watched a fair amount of KPJ and always thought that he is more Nick Young than Harden but who knows at this point

Honestly, a player like Swaggy P wouldn't be the worst thing for this team. At least he can create his own shot, and is solid shooting from deep.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,884

Post#26 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:16 pm

thesack12 wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
So much so, this.

People harp on wanting/needing shooting, but the biggest need on this team by far is somebody that can get his own shot.

Camp out style spot up shooters like Snell, aren't going to take any pressure off of Blake or reduce his workload / wear & tear. Blake needs guys that break a defense down and create shots for themselves and their teammates. And someone who can attack defense and get to the dang free throw line for crying out loud. Detroit doesn't have any perimeter players that can draw fouls and get to the free throw line.

Everything filters through Blake offensively, and that is not a good thing.

I watched a fair amount of KPJ and always thought that he is more Nick Young than Harden but who knows at this point

Honestly, a player like Swaggy P wouldn't be the worst thing for this team. At least he can create his own shot, and is solid shooting from deep.

His 3pt shooting might be a fluke. How can you be that good from 3 and shoot 40% from the FT line?
thesack12
RealGM

Post#27 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:19 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
Mr. Krabs wrote:

His 3pt shooting might be a fluke. How can you be that good from 3 and shoot 40% from the FT line?

Huh? He's a career 83.6% from the line.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#28 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:34 pm

thesack12 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Oh I’m talking about KPJ, sorry
thesack12
RealGM

Post#29 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:44 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: His 3pt shooting might be a fluke. How can you be that good from 3 and shoot 40% from the FT line?

Circling back to your original thought, I think it could be a matter of just playing within the flow of the game and not thinking too much. Whereas when you are at the free throw line everything is a standstill, all eyes are on you, and your mind can get in the way of your motion. Free throws can be a pretty mental practice.
MotownMadness
RealGM

Post#30 » by MotownMadness » Tue Jun 25, 2019 2:49 pm

thesack12 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:

Circling back to your original thought, I think it could be a matter of just playing within the flow of the game and not thinking too much. Whereas when you are at the free throw line everything is a standstill, all eyes are on you, and your mind can get in the way of your motion. Free throws can be a pretty mental practice.

Well see, i like his ability to create but he definitely wasn’t scoring a whole lot and like I said that type of bad FT shooting can be a pretty good indicator of a bad shooter. He was also on and off the court half the season for off court problems so IDK what to make of him.

Still at 30 he was worth a gamble for us and we should of took it
thesack12
RealGM

Post#31 » by thesack12 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:08 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
thesack12 wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Oh I’m talking about KPJ, sorry

Well see, i like his ability to create but he definitely wasn’t scoring a whole lot and like I said that type of bad FT shooting can be a pretty good indicator of a bad shooter. He was also on and off the court half the season for off court problems so IDK what to make of him.

Still at 30 he was worth a gamble for us and we should of took it

Yup, I was on record before the draft saying I was all in on the boom or bust types. Its the main reason I like the Sekou pick so much. Porter would have been a great bookend to Sekou in relation to that strategy.
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,465

Post#32 » by Canadafan » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Kilo wrote:
The Penguin wrote:Lets be real, the actual reason we passed on guys like Porter Jr and Bol Bol is because we made a promise to Tellum's kid to take a draft and stash euro.

A team higher than #45 was rumored to be picking him though. Hence why we traded up
Kilo
RealGM

Post#33 » by Kilo » Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:27 pm

Canadafan wrote:
Kilo wrote:

A team higher than #45 was rumored to be picking him though. Hence why we traded up

Right, but our promise was to take him at #45, not to promise to get him no matter what. If he goes before we pick than he goes elsewhere. Hell maybe that team would have signed him to a 2nd round pick contract versus the Pistons who want him as a stash, even to the point he signs with the G-League for $70K. Thomas and Brown got paid something like $890,000 two years guaranteed contracts.

We didn't pass on them because of the promise - our promise could still be acted upon when we passed on those guys and traded the pick.
Weaver = Hinkie

Return to Detroit Pistons