ImageImageImage

Sekou will be the best player from this draft

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,443

Sekou will be the best player from this draft 

Post#1 » by Han Solo » Sat Jun 22, 2019 8:49 pm

Ok... so the thread title is a little click bait. But watch this whole video and tell me this dude doesn’t look like a top 3 draft pick. How did he fall to 15?
hoophabit
Analyst
And1: 1,350

Re: Sekou will be the best player from this draft 

Post#2 » by hoophabit » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Han Solo wrote:Ok... so the thread title is a little click bait. But watch this whole video and tell me this dude doesn’t look like a top 3 draft pick. How did he fall to 15?

'The audacity of hope?' :lol: :wink:

Kid shows promise.
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,679

Post#3 » by Cowology » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:55 pm

Good frame and athleticism, but he has a high dribble and will be a turnover machine. He also doesn't have a great shot. Lots of defensive potential, but his offense needs a lot of work. It'll be years before we know if he can even be a starter in this league.
DETermination
RealGM
And1: 6,818

Post#4 » by DETermination » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:43 pm

He was projected to be possibly the number 1 pick last year
Detroit vs Everybody
AnnArborpiston
Sophomore
And1: 49

Post#5 » by AnnArborpiston » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:05 pm

Nice to see him with a soft touch using both hands around the basket. It seems like Piston after Piston has lacked this and missed countless easy layups. With his length and speed, he should be able to get a lot of euro-step points when running the floor.
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#6 » by davidvolumes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:11 pm

This is the off-season of optimism with that being said Secou looks better than Giannis when he was first drafted. I'm also hoping boatwright can replace Robinson & McQuade can replace Callaway
davidvolumes
Junior
And1: 154

Post#7 » by davidvolumes » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:13 pm

[quote="davidvolumes"]This is the off-season of optimism with that being said Secou looks better than Giannis when he was first drafted. I'm also hoping boatwright can replace Robinson & McQuade can replace Galloway
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#8 » by whitehops » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:15 pm

not expecting this at all but it would be cool if sekou continued the "trend" of 15th picks tremendously outplaying their draft position.

AnnArborpiston wrote:Nice to see him with a soft touch using both hands around the basket. It seems like Piston after Piston has lacked this and missed countless easy layups. With his length and speed, he should be able to get a lot of euro-step points when running the floor.

yeah only jackson and blake have really been good/natural at finishing around the rim. it'd be nice to add a third, but ideally a bunch of guys are good at it.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,749

Post#9 » by Snakebites » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:20 pm

Part of me wants to believe it’s possible.

Part of me fears that 5 years from now we’ll all be laughing about how we all thought this guy would be great.
thesack12
RealGM
And1: 2,225

Post#10 » by thesack12 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:23 pm

Snakebites wrote:Part of me wants to believe it’s possible.

Part of me fears that 5 years from now we’ll all be laughing about how we all thought this guy would be great.

Or 5 years from now we'll see him put it all together on a different team, because Detroit didn't give him enough developmental opportunities.
potatoaim
Senior
And1: 317

Post#11 » by potatoaim » Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 pm

No reason why he cant contribute this year, either.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,749

Post#12 » by Snakebites » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:03 am

There’s absolutely no reason Thon should get minutes over him, though probability another big gets minutes is high.

Snell replaces Ellington in the rotation. Ish will be replaced. All that’s left besides that is a new Zaza...
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,632

Post#13 » by zeebneeb » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:00 am

If he can play SF, then he should start. There is no downside to throwing him "off the dock" and see how well he swims. The Pistons choices at that position are slim pickings.

At the minimum, 20mpg. If he sits on the bench it's going to be a boring season, with an obvious outcome unless a killer deal goes down before the start of the season.

As for best player in the draft, even in my wildest hopes for the kid, hes in a draft with a player, the likes of which I've never seen. No way in hell does he have a better career then Zion.

I'm just hoping he becomes an actual NBA player at the SF position and can contribute right away.

Probably hoping for to much but I've been beaten into submission by my fellow Piston fans here. I have very little hope anymore.

Include him in a trade, start him, bench him. Whatever.
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,546

Post#14 » by ComboGuardCity » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:42 am

thesack12 wrote:
Snakebites wrote:Part of me wants to believe it’s possible.

Or 5 years from now we'll see him put it all together on a different team, because Detroit didn't give him enough developmental opportunities.

2025 first + sekou for Kyle Lowry
jakebernat
Sixth Man
And1: 767

Post#15 » by jakebernat » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:46 am

he was the guy i really coveted in the draft before he went off for 34 and it seemed like he solidified a top 10 spot in the draft. the fact that he fell to us alone makes this draft a win.

that being said, some realistic goals for him this upcoming season would be to earn a regular spot in the rotation, play above average defense, and to knockdown his open shots within the flow of the offense. it’s not reasonable to expect any kind of playmaking or off the dribble game from him his first year.

if he can defend well (a very feasible task) and provide a little outside shooting, then his rookie year will be a great success *borat voice*.
whitehops
General Manager
And1: 6,500

Post#16 » by whitehops » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:32 pm

Snakebites wrote:Part of me fears that 5 years from now we’ll all be laughing about how we all thought this guy would be great.

i did very little pre-draft research compared to past years but i knew nothing about sekou... i'm hoping that means i keep an open mind about his development.

whereas in the past i would use a player's college tape to project their nba career, even if they struggled out of the gate.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Post#17 » by BadMofoPimp » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:54 pm

I like him alot. My main concern is he is not very quick off the dribble. I doubt he will be the type of player to blow by NBA caliber talent. He will have to adjust his game accordingly. Put that aside and he can still be a great NBA talent.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
remi_222
Pro Prospect
And1: 636

Post#18 » by remi_222 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:19 pm

why creating a diff topic just to say the same thing as Sekou's main topic ??
mattao313
General Manager
And1: 4,409

Post#19 » by mattao313 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:33 pm

remi_222 wrote:why creating a diff topic just to say the same thing as Sekou's main topic ??

Youre a French guy Im guessing you know a little more than the rest of us. What are your thoughts on Sekou? Does he have star potential or just rotational type? I dont know anything about the guy beside watching the little bit of highlights on YT.
Championships
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#20 » by DCintheD » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:46 pm

No one expected Giannis to be Giannis. No one expected Siakam to be Siakam. To expect Sekou to be a hybrid of these two is not fair. We all need to temper our expectations for this kid for our sake and his. This franchise has never developed a project before.
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS

Return to Detroit Pistons