ImageImageImage

We need to trade Blake

Moderators: dVs33, Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip

Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Re: We need to trade Blake 

Post#61 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:16 am

Blake will only be traded if he demands one. And he probably won't because quick playoff exits or no playoffs means more time judging twerking contests on a Yacht in Ibiza.

Nothing is being built here for the length of his contract. Playing here is getting paid for no pressure or high expectations.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
The Moose
General Manager
And1: 5,119

Post#62 » by The Moose » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:17 am

Kilo wrote:Blake will only be traded if he demands one. And he probably won't because quick playoff exits or no playoffs means more time judging twerking contests on a Yacht in Ibiza.

Nothing is being built here for the length of his contract. Playing here is getting paid for no pressure or high expectations.

if we can see he's going to leave us for FA and decline his PO, it would be terrible not to trade him, same goes for Drummond
The Moose
General Manager

Post#63 » by The Moose » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:22 am

MotownMadness wrote:
Manocad wrote:It seems that some people believe that a draft pick not working out means drafting doesn't work, but that signing good players works because...uhh...the players are good! But look at all the examples of good teams just adding more good players and still not winning championships. It takes a lot more than just smashing good players together.

Hey i love the draft and scouting all year long but look at the odds now and it doesnt even make sense to try and be abysmal. How pissed would you be to win 15 games and then watch the top 4 picks go down like it did under the new odds system?

honestly I was just as interested in watching the team before we got Blake and were getting nothing but 7-8th picks. Adding Blake didn't really up the entertainment for me. In some ways it was actually more interesting for me before, because I had hope of watching our young players develop and create a core. Obviously it didn't work out, and SVG certainly wasn't going to wait around and see
Uncle Mxy
General Manager
And1: 1,943

Post#64 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:23 am

Cowology wrote:I believe the vast majority of knoweldgeable and passionate fans would agree we need to blow it up. The unfortunate reality is we are severely outnumbered by the casual fans who buy tickets and put dollary-doos in Gores pocket. He won't stomach 3-5 years of an empty arena for a shot at packing it out down the line. He'd rather just be 60-70% capacity year in and year out as the value of the team continues to rise with lucritive TV deals, etc.
The interesting thing to me is that Blake didn't really move the needle on the casual fan base. He's media-friendly, performing great, we even made the playoffs, and we went from 25th to 24th in attendance -- 15,900 to 16,000.

One big reason I liked the Blake trade, even with its cap implications, was because I thought he'd put more butts in seats in a way that Tobias Harris wasn't going to. Am I misreading things, or did our front office not sell Blake well?
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#65 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:28 am

The Moose wrote:
MotownMadness wrote:
Manocad wrote:It seems that some people believe that a draft pick not working out means drafting doesn't work, but that signing good players works because...uhh...the players are good! But look at all the examples of good teams just adding more good players and still not winning championships. It takes a lot more than just smashing good players together.

Hey i love the draft and scouting all year long but look at the odds now and it doesnt even make sense to try and be abysmal. How pissed would you be to win 15 games and then watch the top 4 picks go down like it did under the new odds system?

honestly I was just as interested in watching the team before we got Blake and were getting nothing but 7-8th picks. Adding Blake didn't really up the entertainment for me. In some ways it was actually more interesting for me before, because I had hope of watching our young players develop and create a core. Obviously it didn't work out, and SVG certainly wasn't going to wait around and see
It was nice the way SVG had constructed it buying low on guys while their value was low but everyone knew you needed a star/closer

I really like watching Blake but that might just be me. His versatility and his motor are more interesting to watch for me then Tobias spotting up at the 4. When it gets to crunch time you gotta have guys who can create and he kicked ass.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#66 » by Manocad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:30 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Cowology wrote:I believe the vast majority of knoweldgeable and passionate fans would agree we need to blow it up. The unfortunate reality is we are severely outnumbered by the casual fans who buy tickets and put dollary-doos in Gores pocket. He won't stomach 3-5 years of an empty arena for a shot at packing it out down the line. He'd rather just be 60-70% capacity year in and year out as the value of the team continues to rise with lucritive TV deals, etc.
The interesting thing to me is that Blake didn't really move the needle on the casual fan base. He's media-friendly, performing great, we even made the playoffs, and we went from 25th to 24th in attendance -- 15,900 to 16,000.

One big reason I liked the Blake trade, even with its cap implications, was because I thought he'd put more butts in seats in a way that Tobias Harris wasn't going to. Am I misreading things, or did our front office not sell Blake well?

Blake was lipstick on a pig. Casual fans may be dumb but they're not THAT dumb. They want to see wins, not players. It's one thing to see Lebron or the Warriors when they're in town, but Blake isn't that kind of player. Not to mention that the casual Pistons fan can go see him anytime. It's winning that brings people back again and again.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,264

Post#67 » by Piston Pete » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:30 am

Teams I could see being interested in Blake:

Celtics
Lakers
Warriors
Spurs
Hawks
Pacers
Clippers
Portland
Brooklyn
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 21,886

Post#68 » by MotownMadness » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:31 am

Uncle Mxy wrote:

They really lost their fan base. They were starting to build it back up the year after SVG made the playoffs it felt like but then they came out and crapped the bed on everyone again.

Place looked pretty packed in the playoffs though. I wonder if thats just us or alot of places cause to be honest i just have no interest in paying that kind of money and leave the comfort of home regardless so its hard for me to understand how anyone packs these arenas
The Moose
General Manager

Post#69 » by The Moose » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:50 am

MotownMadness wrote:
The Moose wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Hey i love the draft and scouting all year long but look at the odds now and it doesnt even make sense to try and be abysmal. How pissed would you be to win 15 games and then watch the top 4 picks go down like it did under the new odds system?

It was nice the way SVG had constructed it buying low on guys while their value was low but everyone knew you needed a star/closer

I really like watching Blake but that might just be me. His versatility and his motor are more interesting to watch for me then Tobias spotting up at the 4. When it gets to crunch time you gotta have guys who can create and he kicked ass.

Don't get me wrong I like watching Blake, I'm just saying my excitement overall for the team never really changed. I watched as many games before as I do now. I think no matter who we put out there on the floor, there will always be a storyline I'm interested in. The wins and losses are great sure, but there is more to it than that.

The process and the journey toward winning, is just as interesting as actually winning to me. I think you see that with Raptors fans now. They had all those years fighting for the title, building a team, getting close, coming up short. Now they've finally won it seems to me like a "ok, what now?" type of thing. Its like a kid with Christmas, the excitement is usually in the anticipation
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,049

Post#70 » by bstein14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:36 am

Portland has two huge expiring contracts in Whiteside and Bazemore. It feels like this could be their year to use those to acquire a big name 3rd star to add to their lineup and decide to pay the tax for a few seasons. I would imagine Blake would be at/near the top of their list of guys to add.

Blake + Snell for Whiteside(expiring) + Bazemore(expiring) + THREE First Round Draft Picks in 2020 + 2022 + 2024

That type of deal would be hard to pass up from Detroit's perspective, clearing the cap and giving us a ton of future flexibility.
Detstones89
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#71 » by Detstones89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:59 am

As much of a fan I am of Blake he deserves better than the joke of a state we are currently in. Get some assist for him and trade Drummond before he opts out and we are left with nothing. OR swing for the fences and try and land another star which I have 0 faith we will ever do.
El Chivo
Starter
And1: 969

Post#72 » by El Chivo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:59 am

Trade Drummond before
You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#73 » by BadMofoPimp » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:54 am

Lets get Manocad a few more KCP's, Stanleys, Bullocks and Dre's so that we can build up some youth again!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,106

Post#74 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am

The Moose wrote:
Kilo wrote:Blake will only be traded if he demands one. And he probably won't because quick playoff exits or no playoffs means more time judging twerking contests on a Yacht in Ibiza.

if we can see he's going to leave us for FA and decline his PO, it would be terrible not to trade him, same goes for Drummond

Gores will max out Drummond and outbid for Jackson - just you watch. He'll end up paying more for Jackson + Drummond over the next four years than it would have cost for Westbrook + MLE Center (letting Dre walk).
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#75 » by Manocad » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:05 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:

Lets get Manocad a few more KCP's, Stanleys, Bullocks and Dre's so that we can build up some youth again!

I’d rather sign the next Charlie Villanueva, Ben Gordon, and Josh Smith. Maybe throw a Chris Webber in there too. Or just skip them, go straight to the next Blake Griffin and another first round playoff crushing. Awesome! Hey—at least they “went for it”! :lol:
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#76 » by rmfc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:11 am

BadMofoPimp wrote:

:lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl:

:o :oops:
rmfc
Assistant Coach
And1: 936

Post#77 » by rmfc » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:15 am

El Chivo wrote:Trade Drummond before

Agreed. We are unable to upgrade this team. So, I think it's time to trade Andre (especially after it appears that he wants to opt out).
Canadafan
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,469

Post#78 » by Canadafan » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:24 pm

rmfc wrote:

Agreed. We are unable to upgrade this team. So, I think it's time to trade Andre (especially after it appears that he wants to opt out).

Ya true. If he opts out and we lose him for nothing that's kind of a buzzkill.
Unfortunately the rest of the league seems to see that you can get close to his kind of effect with an MLE or BAE signing.
I'm thinking Dre is pretty dumb if he opts out cause I cant see anybody willing to give him a big deal
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,799

Post#79 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:
rmfc wrote:

Unfortunately the rest of the league seems to see that you can get close to his kind of effect with an MLE or BAE signing.
I'm thinking Dre is pretty dumb if he opts out cause I cant see anybody willing to give him a big deal

Well, the logic is, he wants to get a longer deal so he would opt out to get an extension basically. The per year part is irrelevant, since anything at or maybe a slight lower than his per year right now would be a bonus.

I can't see many teams willingly wanting to give him 25 over 5 years. Especially with 2021 looking so fierce in the FA market.
DCintheD
Sixth Man
And1: 653

Post#80 » by DCintheD » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:
rmfc wrote:

We wouldn’t be losing him for nothing. At this point cap space is more valuable than his trade value. It could be used to facilitate trades for picks and/or players that fit better
RIP PALACE OF AUBURN HILLS

Return to Detroit Pistons