ImageImageImage

Upgrade PG Trade

Moderators: theBigLip, dVs33, Snakebites

User avatar
Piston Pete
RealGM
Posts: 16,003
And1: 269
Joined: Feb 07, 2002
Location: Way out in left field

Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 am

Seems like a lot of people in here want to upgrade the PG spot. I get it, Reggie has been spotty-at-best the last two seasons here.

Westbrook a) would cost us too much asset-wise and b) his skills will likely start slipping sooner rather than later because he is a player who relies on his athleticism.

Beal would cost us too much asset-wise and I doubt he’s even realistically on the market.

One guy who I think would be a very possible target could be Jrue Holiday.

Pelicans are clearly in rebuild mode and Holiday might be viewed as a guy they would like to move if the right deal came along. He has a deal thru 2022 that they may also view as a contract they’d like off their books sooner than later.

Holiday for Reggie/Galloway (expirings)??

Holiday / Rose / Frazier / Bone
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Snell / Svi / Sirvydis
Blake / Morris / Sekou
Drummond / Maker
Kalamazoo317
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 4
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
   

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#2 » by Kalamazoo317 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:43 am

New Orleans is probably closer to competing right now than we are. They have more talent on their roster. Not sure why they'd trade Holiday for our trash.
the_l_train
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,486
And1: 48
Joined: Jul 05, 2005
Location: G-Rap

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#3 » by the_l_train » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:44 am

David Griffin literally just called Jrue a possible MVP today. This one not possible.
kpt
Sophomore
Posts: 203
And1: 54
Joined: Nov 06, 2018
       

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#4 » by kpt » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:48 am

NO is in a great spot. They drafted great 3 FRPs who will all be in the rotation. They got a great haul for AD. Having Jrue gives them the good vet presence they need. I would be shocked if they want to trade him. They are probably looking at the playoff cusp in the west if they gel well and Jrue will help that
User avatar
tradez401
Bench Warmer
Posts: 1,421
And1: 252
Joined: Jun 30, 2011
 

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#5 » by tradez401 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:51 am

would really like to have holiday but doesnt look like hes on the trade market.
User avatar
DetroitDon15
Head Coach
Posts: 7,410
And1: 110
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: How in the world do I still have a job?

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#6 » by DetroitDon15 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:03 am

Piston Pete wrote:Seems like a lot of people in here want to upgrade the PG spot. I get it, Reggie has been spotty-at-best the last two seasons here.

Westbrook a) would cost us too much asset-wise and b) his skills will likely start slipping sooner rather than later because he is a player who relies on his athleticism.

Beal would cost us too much asset-wise and I doubt he’s even realistically on the market.

One guy who I think would be a very possible target could be Jrue Holiday.

Pelicans are clearly in rebuild mode and Holiday might be viewed as a guy they would like to move if the right deal came along. He has a deal thru 2022 that they may also view as a contract they’d like off their books sooner than later.

Holiday for Reggie/Galloway (expirings)??

Holiday / Rose / Frazier / Bone
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Snell / Svi / Sirvydis
Blake / Morris / Sekou
Drummond / Maker


I don’t see NOP going for it. They’d probably want Kennard and picks as well. I’ll pass
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
vege
RealGM
Posts: 14,701
And1: 1,376
Joined: Jul 18, 2008
Location: Somewhere Pissed off

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#7 » by vege » Wed Jul 10, 2019 9:46 am

Jrue would cost more than Westbrook.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,181
And1: 7,769
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#8 » by Manocad » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:42 pm

Can we stop already with the trade proposals that make absolutely ZERO sense for the other team? For pete’s sake, put some thought in it beyond “this is what I would like to see happen.”
Image
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,030
And1: 2,149
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#9 » by DBC10 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:20 pm

Jrue would fit perfectly here. Plays defense, can guard multiple positions easily, and play make. Can shoot too.

He's the perfect modern day guard that any contender would love to have.

I think what's realistic now is going for someone like Lowry if we really are showing out badly with RJ and Rose. We'd give up too much for his expiring though.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,501
And1: 4,882
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#10 » by Snakebites » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:28 pm

David Griffin has stated that the current Pelicans are “Holiday’s team.” Obviously this will change once Zion is ready, but they aren’t looking to dump him, and certainly don’t view him as a salary dump with negative value.

So yeah, not happening.
User avatar
Laimbeer
RealGM
Posts: 31,260
And1: 8,759
Joined: Aug 12, 2009
Location: Cabin Creek

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#11 » by Laimbeer » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:10 pm

Why is it the trades that are given a thread of their own are the worst? :lol:
User avatar
DetroitDon15
Head Coach
Posts: 7,410
And1: 110
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: How in the world do I still have a job?

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#12 » by DetroitDon15 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:02 am

I remember it being reported that NOP asked for expirings and two picks at the deadline for him. Adding Jrue isn’t like adding Westbrook. They’ll ask for young assets and expirings.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
Uncle Mxy
Head Coach
Posts: 7,468
And1: 771
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: I plead the Fifth Dimension

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#13 » by Uncle Mxy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 am

Piston Pete wrote:Seems like a lot of people in here want to upgrade the PG spot. I get it, Reggie has been spotty-at-best the last two seasons here.

Westbrook a) would cost us too much asset-wise and b) his skills will likely start slipping sooner rather than later because he is a player who relies on his athleticism.

I bet that Westbrook has more productive seasons in him than RJ.
I expect RJ to be gimped out of the league in 3 years or so.
Kalamazoo317
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 4
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
   

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#14 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:32 pm

Somebody like Dennis Shroder is a more likely target for what we can realistically offer. Not sure if that's an upgrade or not, though.
sc8581
Assistant Coach
Posts: 3,861
And1: 766
Joined: Jul 22, 2013

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#15 » by sc8581 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:38 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Somebody like Dennis Shroder is a more likely target for what we can realistically offer. Not sure if that's an upgrade or not, though.


That's certainly not an upgrade
Kalamazoo317
Ballboy
Posts: 14
And1: 4
Joined: Nov 23, 2018
   

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#16 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:10 pm

sc8581 wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Somebody like Dennis Shroder is a more likely target for what we can realistically offer. Not sure if that's an upgrade or not, though.


That's certainly not an upgrade


He's probably a tad less talented than Reggie, but also younger, healthier, and a tad cheaper. Probably mostly a lateral move, but Reggie would be a lot better here if he were reliably healthy.
User avatar
DetroitDon15
Head Coach
Posts: 7,410
And1: 110
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: How in the world do I still have a job?

Re: Upgrade PG Trade 

Post#17 » by DetroitDon15 » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:
sc8581 wrote:
Kalamazoo317 wrote:Somebody like Dennis Shroder is a more likely target for what we can realistically offer. Not sure if that's an upgrade or not, though.


That's certainly not an upgrade


He's probably a tad less talented than Reggie, but also younger, healthier, and a tad cheaper. Probably mostly a lateral move, but Reggie would be a lot better here if he were reliably healthy.


:banghead: please no Reggie 2.0!
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!

Return to Detroit Pistons