ImageImageImage

Trade for Chris Paul?

Moderators: Cowology, Snakebites, theBigLip, dVs33

bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#61 » by bstein14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:54 pm

Starting to think it will be the Lakers in a few months. Kcp plus green plus one more filler would get it done.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#62 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:05 pm

bstein14 wrote:Starting to think it will be the Lakers in a few months. Kcp plus green plus one more filler would get it done.

I believe I read KCP had the ability to block a trade as he's on a one year deal and would lose Bird Rights or something. Also no way LAL does Green dirty like that. Finally Rondo and Paul always scrap on sight it seems.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
Invictus88
Analyst
And1: 1,673

Post#63 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Laimbeer wrote:Beal and Paul to Detroit.

DET: Kennard, Sekou, Drummond, Jackson, Snell for Beal, Paul - Players to contend now with Blake
WAS : Beal for Kennard, Sekou, Jackson 2 FRPs from OKC - Young players and picks for Beal to start a rebuild
OKC : Paul and 2 FRPs for Drummond, Snell - off load Paul's deal, could likely move Drummond or Adams

OKC never makes that trade. They end up with two big guys making 25+ million each for the next 2 years at the price of giving up 2 FRPs. You can't play them together; Neither are sought after trade chips with the market for bigs being so low. It goes completely against what Presti has done up to this point post WB/George.
bstein14
RealGM
And1: 8,039

Post#64 » by bstein14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Kilo wrote:
bstein14 wrote:Starting to think it will be the Lakers in a few months. Kcp plus green plus one more filler would get it done.

I believe I read KCP had the ability to block a trade as he's on a one year deal and would lose Bird Rights or something. Also no way LAL does Green dirty like that. Finally Rondo and Paul always scrap on sight it seems.

Kcp is pretty much a lebron puppet at this point.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 14,761

Post#65 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:08 pm

Kilo wrote:

Rondo/Paul is one of the great NBA feuds.

Though both players appear to be involved in more than one “great feud”. Some guys are like that.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#66 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:19 pm

Yeah, I don't think a Paul/Blake reunion is a good idea. My impression is they were pretty sick of each other by the end of the Lob City days. Also, Paul is way too expensive and clearly on the decline. Hard pass on obtaining him.
Detstones89
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#67 » by Detstones89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:12 pm

Only available players I see will be D-Lo and Beal, we will strike out on both. On the bright side I hope Paul does go to MIA because I doubt he can play an entire year and will help them accomplish missing the playoffs. Everyone thought a few years ago that he wouldn’t decline as hard as he is since he never played the hyper athletic style. Boy were we wrong.
Detstones89
Freshman
And1: 20

Post#68 » by Detstones89 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Maybe we can land Derozen from SA, eventually Pop needs to start some form of a rebuild in SA as well.
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#69 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Kalamazoo317 wrote:Yeah, I don't think a Paul/Blake reunion is a good idea. My impression is they were pretty sick of each other by the end of the Lob City days. Also, Paul is way too expensive and clearly on the decline. Hard pass on obtaining him.

There were always reports of the Clippers lacking personal chemistry even in the peak of the Lob era.

Heck, Jordan almost left for Dallas for no reason.
Kalamazoo317
Veteran
And1: 1,301

Post#70 » by Kalamazoo317 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:19 pm

We don't have enough talent to embrace bad chemistry, and Paul doesn't move the talent needle enough at this point in his career to be worth the risk.
ChipButty
Senior
And1: 89

Post#71 » by ChipButty » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

I don't see the contract as a major problem. If you want a post-Blake rebuild then this is a chance to upgrade the PG position for the next couple of years and pick up a couple of first round picks for the future.

CP3's injury history is a concern, but I think it's worth the risk. His game is not reliant on explosive athleticism and his shot makes him a threat off the ball. No reason why he can't be productive in his mid-30's similar to a guy like Steve Nash who was an all-star at 37.

Otherwise, what's the plan at PG for the next 2 or 3 years. Resign Reggie? Trade assets for DLo? Going to be hard to rebuild if we are giving away picks.
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#72 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:40 pm

ChipButty wrote:I don't see the contract as a major problem. If you want a post-Blake rebuild then this is a chance to upgrade the PG position for the next couple of years and pick up a couple of first round picks for the future.

CP3's injury history is a concern, but I think it's worth the risk. His game is not reliant on explosive athleticism and his shot makes him a threat off the ball. No reason why he can't be productive in his mid-30's similar to a guy like Steve Nash who was an all-star at 37.

Otherwise, what's the plan at PG for the next 2 or 3 years. Resign Reggie? Trade assets for DLo? Going to be hard to rebuild if we are giving away picks.
Oh it would appear there is a plan in place.

More of the same.

Enjoy your meandering thru the desert for the next 3 years apparently. Gonna be a very boring ride!
ComboGuardCity
RealGM
And1: 4,547

Post#73 » by ComboGuardCity » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:52 pm

CP3/
Kennard/
Holiday
Griffin
Drummond

I’ll roll with that. At the very least it’ll be entertaining
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons

Post#74 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:53 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
ChipButty wrote:I don't see the contract as a major problem. If you want a post-Blake rebuild then this is a chance to upgrade the PG position for the next couple of years and pick up a couple of first round picks for the future.

Oh it would appear there is a plan in place.

More of the same.

Enjoy your meandering thru the desert for the next 3 years apparently. Gonna be a very boring ride!

You do realize we’re in this meandering mode because we traded for Blake, right?
Neptune
Starter
And1: 1,263

Post#75 » by Neptune » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:36 pm

Folks here open to trading for Paul when he isnt better than Westbrook. Paul stays injuried, Paul is older than Westbrook, Blake and Paul had previous issues. But folks here who were totally against trading for Westbrook now think that trading for Paul is a good idea? Yeah, this crazy organization now has posters going insane!
Spider156
Head Coach
And1: 1,371

Post#76 » by Spider156 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:39 pm

Snakebites wrote:
Kilo wrote:

Rondo/Paul is one of the great NBA feuds.

Though both players appear to be involved in more than one “great feud”. Some guys are like that.

They’re both veterans. They probably know the rule of “leave it on the court.” Paul fights with a lot of players, he’s just passionate about the game on the court and outside of it he’s probably very nice and respectful.
Defense wins championships
vege
RealGM
And1: 4,255

Post#77 » by vege » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm

If we trade for Paul and sign Dwight I give up.
Kilo
RealGM
And1: 5,101

Post#78 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 6:00 pm

Neptune wrote:Folks here open to trading for Paul when he isnt better than Westbrook. Paul stays injuried, Paul is older than Westbrook, Blake and Paul had previous issues. But folks here who were totally against trading for Westbrook now think that trading for Paul is a good idea? Yeah, this crazy organization now has posters going insane!

As a pure salary dump and no pick or Kennard/Sekou assets attached - maybe even a pick coming back. Also one less year commitment. Two more after this one vs three more with WB. Of course Paul now is as old as WB would be at the end of his current one.

I don't do it though, but part of me would love the mentality difference between Reggie and Paul on the lockerroom. But Griff is already working on that aspect.

I don't do it. I think he goes to Miami along with Patterson for Dragic/Johnson/Waiters.
Weaver = Hinkie
VW to Portland :pray:
theBigLip
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 2,754

Post#79 » by theBigLip » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:30 pm

The Pistons are on the right track and a lot of their contract mistakes of the past go away next summer. If we're patient, we can actually do a solid rebuild and still be in the playoffs while Blake is here. That isn't a bad plan.

If we go for CP3, we will certainly be better next year. If CP3 stays healthy the rest of his deal, it might not be so bad. But it appears he is declining, and that deal keeps getting bigger every year. The last year or two of his deal is likely to be a nightmare for whoever owns it. It is like a hot potato now and OKC is trying to dump it.

For us to take it, the value back would have to match the cost of a $50M dead contract in 3-4 years. Seriously. So that isn't just a single first rounder to us, expecially a LAC or HOU first rounder. We would need multiple first rounders from OKC and maybe a couple of those pick swaps thrown in as well.
DetroitPistons
RealGM
And1: 3,441

Post#80 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:39 pm

theBigLip wrote:The Pistons are on the right track and a lot of their contract mistakes of the past go away next summer. If we're patient, we can actually do a solid rebuild and still be in the playoffs while Blake is here. That isn't a bad plan.

If we go for CP3, we will certainly be better next year. If CP3 stays healthy the rest of his deal, it might not be so bad. But it appears he is declining, and that deal keeps getting bigger every year. The last year or two of his deal is likely to be a nightmare for whoever owns it. It is like a hot potato now and OKC is trying to dump it.

For us to take it, the value back would have to match the cost of a $50M dead contract in 3-4 years. Seriously. So that isn't just a single first rounder to us, expecially a LAC or HOU first rounder. We would need multiple first rounders from OKC and maybe a couple of those pick swaps thrown in as well.

I think the idea of us waiting and letting contracts expire is foolish. We can cash in on those expirings now and we should because we most likely are not going to make a splash in free agency next year even if we have the money. We need to make a splash this year before the deadline through trades. If we wait I think we are just wasting another year of Blake. We need to find the right deal for an allstar wing or guard and make it happen. I don't think Chris Paul is that guy though.

Return to Detroit Pistons