ImageImageImage

Trade for Chris Paul?

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

guldakot
Ballboy
Posts: 45
And1: 20
Joined: Jul 10, 2015
     

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#81 » by guldakot » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm

I would do this trade.
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=y6d7syq8

reggie langston and snell for Paul Darius B and an additional first rounder.

Would give us another lottery caliber talent in DB, a future pick, and by the time Sekou and DB are ready to go, Blake and Paul will be off the books. That would give both players 3 years to develop. This way both players have a chance to develop on a winning roster. The onyl MASSIVE negative obviously is if the whole thing becomes toxic and blows up.

I do think Casey would be a good coach for this group of talent however.

I am super high on Bazley so I am willing to take the risk, whether OKC would let him go is another story.
User avatar
DetroitPistons
RealGM
Posts: 15,348
And1: 2,843
Joined: Apr 19, 2010
Location: Michigan

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#82 » by DetroitPistons » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:40 pm

The only way I would welcome a Paul trade is if we also bring in another significant piece to make up for taking on his contract so that we can really make some noise. If it's just Paul straight up then no way.
http://www.youtube.com/user/drcraigvideos
reasonablefaith.org - creationwiki.org
intelligentdesign.org - icr.org
answersingenesis.org - tektonics.org
drdino.com - evolutionfairytale.com
User avatar
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
Posts: 7,225
And1: 4,082
Joined: Nov 17, 2006
Location: Columbus
     

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#83 » by The Penguin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:56 pm

Pistons in: Paul / Gallinari / Igoudala / Crowder / 2 pick swaps- better of Detroit / Lac - Houston picks Okc got in other swaps

OKC in- Drummond / Reggie Jackson / Snell

Grizz in- Galloway / Thon / 2 worse of Detroit - Houston / LAC / Thunder picks from swaps

OKC gets off CP3’s deal with the next “all star” they can try to flip. Memphis gets something for 2 expirings and can save money.

We bring in CP3 and a ton of vet wing talent. Can potentially run our own “death lineup” with Blake at the 5 and switchable wings.

CP3 / Rose / Frazier
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Gallo / Iggy
Blake / Crowder
Markieff / vet min
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,293
And1: 4,059
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#84 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:10 pm

The Penguin wrote:Pistons in: Paul / Gallinari / Igoudala / Crowder / 2 pick swaps- better of Detroit / Lac - Houston picks Okc got in other swaps

OKC in- Drummond / Reggie Jackson / Snell

Grizz in- Galloway / Thon / 2 worse of Detroit - Houston / LAC / Thunder picks from swaps

OKC gets off CP3’s deal with the next “all star” they can try to flip. Memphis gets something for 2 expirings and can save money.

We bring in CP3 and a ton of vet wing talent. Can potentially run our own “death lineup” with Blake at the 5 and switchable wings.

CP3 / Rose / Frazier
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Gallo / Iggy
Blake / Crowder
Markieff / vet min


We're taking on $20M more than you're sending out here. We can only take on +$7M because we're hardcapped at the tax apron of 138M because of using BAE on Markieff and using full MLE amount on Rose.
JNewton
Veteran
Posts: 2,772
And1: 43
Joined: Aug 20, 2002

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#85 » by JNewton » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:15 pm

People really want to trade for Chris Paul? Westbrook I could understand, even if I didn't agree with it, but Paul? I know it's been a long time since the Pistons had any semblance of relevancy, but yeesh.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 10,706
And1: 3,620
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#86 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:22 pm

Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
ChipButty wrote:I don't see the contract as a major problem. If you want a post-Blake rebuild then this is a chance to upgrade the PG position for the next couple of years and pick up a couple of first round picks for the future.

CP3's injury history is a concern, but I think it's worth the risk. His game is not reliant on explosive athleticism and his shot makes him a threat off the ball. No reason why he can't be productive in his mid-30's similar to a guy like Steve Nash who was an all-star at 37.

Otherwise, what's the plan at PG for the next 2 or 3 years. Resign Reggie? Trade assets for DLo? Going to be hard to rebuild if we are giving away picks.
Oh it would appear there is a plan in place.

More of the same.

Enjoy your meandering thru the desert for the next 3 years apparently. Gonna be a very boring ride!

You do realize we’re in this meandering mode because we traded for Blake, right?
As I said in a different post, your advocating for doing nothing, and I get that.

Where would the team be currently without the Blake trade? Extending Harris on a max contract?

I fail to see your point.

The ownership is terrible, the front office is terrible, and whole organization is inept. You believe doing nothing is the way forward, I believe dumping everyone from the players, to the front office, or going for the gold is the way forward. Not doing nothing.

Who in the HELL would celebrate not getting a top 5 pg when they know how idiotic the ownership/front office is? Your not getting a reset. Your not getting big trades and stockpiling picks. Your getting more of this horsecrap, and seem to be happy about it.

What is that called?

Stockholm syndrome.

Accept this, and there is no argument amongst Piston fans. You either swing for the fences with this group, or suffer picking 17-7 for the next decade.

Unless you think a big shakeup is coming? Trades for picks are coming?
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#87 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:Oh it would appear there is a plan in place.

More of the same.

Enjoy your meandering thru the desert for the next 3 years apparently. Gonna be a very boring ride!

You do realize we’re in this meandering mode because we traded for Blake, right?
As I said in a different post, your advocating for doing nothing, and I get that.

Where would the team be currently without the Blake trade? Extending Harris on a max contract?

I fail to see your point.

The ownership is terrible, the front office is terrible, and whole organization is inept. You believe doing nothing is the way forward, I believe dumping everyone from the players, to the front office, or going for the gold is the way forward. Not doing nothing.

Who in the HELL would celebrate not getting a top 5 pg when they know how idiotic the ownership/front office is? Your not getting a reset. Your not getting big trades and stockpiling picks. Your getting more of this horsecrap, and seem to be happy about it.

What is that called?

Stockholm syndrome.

Accept this, and there is no argument amongst Piston fans. You either swing for the fences with this group, or suffer picking 17-7 for the next decade.

Unless you think a big shakeup is coming? Trades for picks are coming?

I’ll accept a lot of arguments, but please, don’t diagnose me with a mental disorder, even in jest. Thanks.

Again, and I have no idea why I keep repeating myself when it’s obviously not getting through, if you’re going to assume total incompetence in drafts and other moves, NO strategy will work. I’m not assuming that with this group.

You are the one advocating for a continuation of them same asset burning win-now strategies that have failed time and time again.

And don’t tell me there’s no argument among Piston fans. I’m a Piston fan and I disagree with you, and I’m not alone.
Image
Cowology
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 36,943
And1: 1,699
Joined: Sep 05, 2004

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#88 » by Cowology » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm

One thing to keep in mind is guards have traditionally held a shorter shelf life than big men. Even as they age big men can still use their size, while guards just wind up being small and a step slow. Plus they tend to break down more frequently.

Granted, this is a newer guard dominated era where aging big men like Dwight don't have the sort of value they used to... but I think the small man analysis still holds true. At 34 yrs old CP3 is already slowing down and injury prone. You do NOT want him on the books for 3-4 more years.

This might sound counter intuitive, but I think the type of team that might want him is a young team coming out of a tear down. He could be a mentor and locker room leader to a bad team just trying to learn how to win. Then about the time that team is ready to take the next step you unload his soon to be expiring contact and try and nab an impact player, like Boston did when assembling their big 3.

The problem is guys like Paul have no interest in going to that type of situation. Somebody is going to regret trading for him.
440BB
Freshman
Posts: 91
And1: 49
Joined: Jul 13, 2017
     

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#89 » by 440BB » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:08 pm

As a Piston fan I'd rank a trade for Chris Paul about as wise as the Iverson trade. I'm just hoping we get some value out of Jackson, Galloway and Drummond before the season is over.
User avatar
zeebneeb
RealGM
Posts: 10,706
And1: 3,620
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Location: ANGERVILLE: Population 1
 

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#90 » by zeebneeb » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:You do realize we’re in this meandering mode because we traded for Blake, right?
As I said in a different post, your advocating for doing nothing, and I get that.

Where would the team be currently without the Blake trade? Extending Harris on a max contract?

I fail to see your point.

The ownership is terrible, the front office is terrible, and whole organization is inept. You believe doing nothing is the way forward, I believe dumping everyone from the players, to the front office, or going for the gold is the way forward. Not doing nothing.

Who in the HELL would celebrate not getting a top 5 pg when they know how idiotic the ownership/front office is? Your not getting a reset. Your not getting big trades and stockpiling picks. Your getting more of this horsecrap, and seem to be happy about it.

What is that called?

Stockholm syndrome.

Accept this, and there is no argument amongst Piston fans. You either swing for the fences with this group, or suffer picking 17-7 for the next decade.

Unless you think a big shakeup is coming? Trades for picks are coming?

I’ll accept a lot of arguments, but please, don’t diagnose me with a mental disorder, even in jest. Thanks.

Again, and I have no idea why I keep repeating myself when it’s obviously not getting through, if you’re going to assume total incompetence in drafts and other moves, NO strategy will work. I’m not assuming that with this group.

You are the one advocating for a continuation of them same asset burning win-now strategies that have failed time and time again.

And don’t tell me there’s no argument among Piston fans. I’m a Piston fan and I disagree with you, and I’m not alone.
Careful getting off your horse as it would appear it's a long drop.

Your advocating doing nothing, period. Your advocating this as you know the team isnt going to clean house as they are "commited to winning" apparently while ignoring the massive holes in the lineup.

I want them to either dump it all, or go for it.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp, although it would appear for some, it is.

Shocking.

Your advocating doing nothing and waiting out the next 2-3 years apparently. I'm saying that's dumb.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 7,935
And1: 2,119
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#91 » by DBC10 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:49 pm

Cowology wrote:One thing to keep in mind is guards have traditionally held a shorter shelf life than big men. Even as they age big men can still use their size, while guards just wind up being small and a step slow. Plus they tend to break down more frequently.

Granted, this is a newer guard dominated era where aging big men like Dwight don't have the sort of value they used to... but I think the small man analysis still holds true. At 34 yrs old CP3 is already slowing down and injury prone. You do NOT want him on the books for 3-4 more years.

This might sound counter intuitive, but I think the type of team that might want him is a young team coming out of a tear down. He could be a mentor and locker room leader to a bad team just trying to learn how to win. Then about the time that team is ready to take the next step you unload his soon to be expiring contact and try and nab an impact player, like Boston did when assembling their big 3.

The problem is guys like Paul have no interest in going to that type of situation. Somebody is going to regret trading for him.


This is true, I heard this from a podcast but the argument was: When's the last time a star point guard lasted well into their mid to late 30s and still were highly productive? Many star PGs flame out surprisingly quick due to their quickness being the first thing to go while bigmen still have their valuable size that can mitigate their flaws on defense. It's why guys like Chandler will still get calls even at the ripe old age of 37 and guys like Gilbert Arenas, Francis, and Marbury all kind of disappeared after they turned 32. And that's just the top of my head.

Now granted, craftier and stronger guards like Paul probably are the outliers in that regard, but it's a bit iffy at best.
Invictus88
Pro Prospect
Posts: 942
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#92 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:56 pm

440BB wrote:As a Piston fan I'd rank a trade for Chris Paul about as wise as the Iverson trade. I'm just hoping we get some value out of Jackson, Galloway and Drummond before the season is over.


IIRC the Iverson trade was more of a salary dump than anything else right? We didn't want to pay what we thought was an aging Billips so we shipped him and McDyess off to Denver for him. Then Dumars immediately did an about face and wasted the space by extending an aging Rip Hamilton <sigh>.

I want to believe that Chris Paul still has a year or two left in the tank BUT is way, way, overpriced for the productivity he will yield by the time his contract ends.

I think OKC could be making a gamble that a team somewhere wanting to make a deep playoff run loses their PG and they are able to deal him at the deadline. Otherwise he's stuck shepherding in the new folks.

It's honestly not a terrible situation in OKC. They have SGA and a billion FRPs to rebuild with while they remain modestly competitive with CP3, Gallinari, Steven Adams, and Schroeder.
Invictus88
Pro Prospect
Posts: 942
And1: 258
Joined: Jun 25, 2013

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#93 » by Invictus88 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:57 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Cowology wrote:One thing to keep in mind is guards have traditionally held a shorter shelf life than big men. Even as they age big men can still use their size, while guards just wind up being small and a step slow. Plus they tend to break down more frequently.

Granted, this is a newer guard dominated era where aging big men like Dwight don't have the sort of value they used to... but I think the small man analysis still holds true. At 34 yrs old CP3 is already slowing down and injury prone. You do NOT want him on the books for 3-4 more years.

This might sound counter intuitive, but I think the type of team that might want him is a young team coming out of a tear down. He could be a mentor and locker room leader to a bad team just trying to learn how to win. Then about the time that team is ready to take the next step you unload his soon to be expiring contact and try and nab an impact player, like Boston did when assembling their big 3.

The problem is guys like Paul have no interest in going to that type of situation. Somebody is going to regret trading for him.


This is true, I heard this from a podcast but the argument was: When's the last time a star point guard lasted well into their mid to late 30s and still were highly productive? Many star PGs flame out surprisingly quick due to their quickness being the first thing to go while bigmen still have their valuable size that can mitigate their flaws on defense. It's why guys like Chandler will still get calls even at the ripe old age of 37 and guys like Gilbert Arenas, Francis, and Marbury all kind of disappeared after they turned 32. And that's just the top of my head.

Now granted, craftier and stronger guards like Paul probably are the outliers in that regard, but it's a bit iffy at best.


Hope he turns into Stockton I guess?
User avatar
bstein14
RealGM
Posts: 21,499
And1: 1,731
Joined: Jun 22, 2001
Contact:

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#94 » by bstein14 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:02 pm

Paul is still a top 20 to 30 player next year most likely if healthy, but he is paid a huge amount and his age is a risk. It's not worth the risk of bringing him on unless they give us incentive to take him. I'd take him if a first comes with him and we just send out our junk, but that is likely not happening.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#95 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:27 pm

zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:As I said in a different post, your advocating for doing nothing, and I get that.

Where would the team be currently without the Blake trade? Extending Harris on a max contract?

I fail to see your point.

The ownership is terrible, the front office is terrible, and whole organization is inept. You believe doing nothing is the way forward, I believe dumping everyone from the players, to the front office, or going for the gold is the way forward. Not doing nothing.

Who in the HELL would celebrate not getting a top 5 pg when they know how idiotic the ownership/front office is? Your not getting a reset. Your not getting big trades and stockpiling picks. Your getting more of this horsecrap, and seem to be happy about it.

What is that called?

Stockholm syndrome.

Accept this, and there is no argument amongst Piston fans. You either swing for the fences with this group, or suffer picking 17-7 for the next decade.

Unless you think a big shakeup is coming? Trades for picks are coming?

I’ll accept a lot of arguments, but please, don’t diagnose me with a mental disorder, even in jest. Thanks.

Again, and I have no idea why I keep repeating myself when it’s obviously not getting through, if you’re going to assume total incompetence in drafts and other moves, NO strategy will work. I’m not assuming that with this group.

You are the one advocating for a continuation of them same asset burning win-now strategies that have failed time and time again.

And don’t tell me there’s no argument among Piston fans. I’m a Piston fan and I disagree with you, and I’m not alone.
Careful getting off your horse as it would appear it's a long drop.

Your advocating doing nothing, period. Your advocating this as you know the team isnt going to clean house as they are "commited to winning" apparently while ignoring the massive holes in the lineup.

I want them to either dump it all, or go for it.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp, although it would appear for some, it is.

Shocking.

Your advocating doing nothing and waiting out the next 2-3 years apparently. I'm saying that's dumb.

I’m advocating for preserving assets. I’d love to get more assets by tearing it down, but it appears we can’t get assets for these pieces. The situation SVG got us in is that crummy.

I was going to stop this, but you keep saying I want us to do nothing.

I will again ask you to refrain from making this personal.
Image
User avatar
Kilo
RealGM
Posts: 10,293
And1: 4,059
Joined: Jun 18, 2011
 

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#96 » by Kilo » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:33 pm

Don't worry about this possibility. Dallas is said to be interested - I think it's a great fit. They could trade THJ and Lee and that is enough to make the salaries work and give OKC room under the tax this year.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#97 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:34 pm

Kilo wrote:Don't worry about this possibility. Dallas is said to be interested - I think it's a great fit. They could trade THJ and Lee and that is enough to make the salaries work and give OKC room under the tax this year.

There haven’t been any indicators we’re interested here, even less than we got with Westbrook.
Image
User avatar
The Penguin
"Beat The Commish" Champion/Mr. Clean Slate
Posts: 7,225
And1: 4,082
Joined: Nov 17, 2006
Location: Columbus
     

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#98 » by The Penguin » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:44 pm

Kilo wrote:
The Penguin wrote:Pistons in: Paul / Gallinari / Igoudala / Crowder / 2 pick swaps- better of Detroit / Lac - Houston picks Okc got in other swaps

OKC in- Drummond / Reggie Jackson / Snell

Grizz in- Galloway / Thon / 2 worse of Detroit - Houston / LAC / Thunder picks from swaps

OKC gets off CP3’s deal with the next “all star” they can try to flip. Memphis gets something for 2 expirings and can save money.

We bring in CP3 and a ton of vet wing talent. Can potentially run our own “death lineup” with Blake at the 5 and switchable wings.

CP3 / Rose / Frazier
Kennard / Brown / Thomas
Gallo / Iggy
Blake / Crowder
Markieff / vet min


We're taking on $20M more than you're sending out here. We can only take on +$7M because we're hardcapped at the tax apron of 138M because of using BAE on Markieff and using full MLE amount on Rose.



Just a bored worthless idea...
User avatar
DetroitDon15
Head Coach
Posts: 7,405
And1: 109
Joined: Jul 23, 2002
Location: How in the world do I still have a job?

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#99 » by DetroitDon15 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:53 pm

Snakebites wrote:
zeebneeb wrote:
Snakebites wrote:I’ll accept a lot of arguments, but please, don’t diagnose me with a mental disorder, even in jest. Thanks.

Again, and I have no idea why I keep repeating myself when it’s obviously not getting through, if you’re going to assume total incompetence in drafts and other moves, NO strategy will work. I’m not assuming that with this group.

You are the one advocating for a continuation of them same asset burning win-now strategies that have failed time and time again.

And don’t tell me there’s no argument among Piston fans. I’m a Piston fan and I disagree with you, and I’m not alone.
Careful getting off your horse as it would appear it's a long drop.

Your advocating doing nothing, period. Your advocating this as you know the team isnt going to clean house as they are "commited to winning" apparently while ignoring the massive holes in the lineup.

I want them to either dump it all, or go for it.

This is not a difficult concept to grasp, although it would appear for some, it is.

Shocking.

Your advocating doing nothing and waiting out the next 2-3 years apparently. I'm saying that's dumb.

I’m advocating for preserving assets. I’d love to get more assets by tearing it down, but it appears we can’t get assets for these pieces. The situation SVG got us in is that crummy.

I was going to stop this, but you keep saying I want us to do nothing.

I will again ask you to refrain from making this personal.


I was lukewarm on adding Westbrook. I have very little interest in adding Paul without significant assets attached since he’s so pricey and the expirings to send it. I’d probably want 3 or 4 unprotected firsts to add Paul with only willing to send out Reggie, Snell, and Galloway. I know it’s a silly ask probably but the contract is so bad. This isn’t lob city of 4-5 years ago.
When a good hip player meets lotto team, your Pistons give us this gem:

Image

DetroitDon15 is a Piston Fan!
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Trade for Chris Paul? 

Post#100 » by Snakebites » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:56 pm

I guess if we could get enough assets in the trade I could probably be persuaded to take on CP3. Would take a lot of draft capital, though. I suspect they can peddle them to the Heat for a worse deal than I’d be happy with though, someone willing to bet on Paul.
Image

Return to Detroit Pistons