ImageImageImage

Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#81 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Manocad wrote:
50CalClips wrote:I doubt it. And there were other assets that came from the Blake trade. "The build" was part of developing the culture that now exists in the Clips locker room.

Ah yes...the "first round playoff exit" culture. Not to rub it in, but...the Pistons have that culture in their lockerroom too. That makes the trade a tie then.


It's a new dawn... it's a new day... it's a new life.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,378
And1: 7,854
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#82 » by Manocad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Manocad wrote:
50CalClips wrote:I doubt it. And there were other assets that came from the Blake trade. "The build" was part of developing the culture that now exists in the Clips locker room.

Ah yes...the "first round playoff exit" culture. Not to rub it in, but...the Pistons have that culture in their lockerroom too. That makes the trade a tie then.


It's a new dawn... it's a new day... it's a new life.

That's pretty prophetic. Have you considered a career calling NBA games on TNT?
Image
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#83 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 pm

It's song lyrics (Nina Simone) that evoke, represent, embody these Clippers.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,378
And1: 7,854
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#84 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 am

50CalClips wrote:It's song lyrics (Nina Simone) that evoke, represent, embody these Clippers.

Hmm...yes, I see. How would you feel about working alongside Stan Van Gundy?
Image
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,621
And1: 3,077
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#85 » by Pharaoh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 am

50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George.


2017 Clippers to 2020 Clippers:

Chris Paul --> HOUSTON ROCKETS
    Pat Beverley
    Lou Williams
    Montrezl Harrell
    part of Paul George (via Gallinari, via 2018 pick/Omari Spellman)

Blake Griffin --> DETROIT PISTONS
    Landry Shamet (via Tobias)
    Ivica Zubac (via Muscala, via Boban)
    JaMychal Green (via Bradley)
    Mfiondu Kabengele (via Tobias, via 2020 pick)
    part of Paul George (via Shai Gil-Alex, via 2018 pick/Miles Bridges)
    part of Paul George (via Tobias, 2021 pick)

Jamal Crawford --> ATLANTA HAWKS (/DENVER NUGGETS)
    part of Paul George (via Gallinari)
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#86 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George.

Blake Griffin --> DETROIT PISTONS
    Landry Shamet (via Tobias)
    Ivica Zubac (via Muscala, via Boban)
    JaMychal Green (via Bradley)
    Mfiondu Kabengele (via Tobias, via 2020 pick)
    part of Paul George (via Shai Gil-Alex, via 2018 pick/Miles Bridges)
    part of Paul George (via Tobias, 2021 pick)
...
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT: If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC


Didn't mean to sound like I was gloating about the trade or anything. I was more so looking to give credit to Jerry West and the Clips Execs in general. From our side of things, the situation turned out so much better than anything we expected. The trades involving CP3 and Blake should be in a textbook, How to GM in the NBA. The Clips caught a few fortunate breaks, tbh, but that is exactly how an NBA team should re-build. From 2017 to 2020 the Clippers are entirely reformed, reconfigured, a strong new "cultural identity" has been established, and are instant Contenders.

But anyway as far as being L.A./the media market, etc... WHEN has THAT fact ever helped the Clippers before?!? Know what I mean? Who has chosen the Clippers over the Lakers, or the Knicks, or Miami, or The Bay?

LeBron didn't choose the Clippers.
Durant, Kyrie didn't choose the Clippers.

Kawhi and George are HOME TOWN kids who chose the Clippers... that make all of this 10 times sweeter. They didn't choose the "glam" of L.A. (like LeBron/Miami & Lakers, like Durant/The Bay & NYC) they chose to come home.

In the "Clippers" lifetime (since 1979)...
Spoiler:
San Antonio won 5 Titles... Detroit won 3 Titles... Seattle won a Title... Cleveland won a Title... Toronto won a Title. Portland, Phoenix, Orlando, Utah, Indiana, New Jersey (the other "little brother" team), Oklahoma City, have all been to the Finals.

So we have lived through seeing other non-"destination" markets have success. Being in this "market" hadn't help the Clippers before. It took the right Owner, the right GM/Execs, the right Coach, and the right Home Town players to finally make the Clippers a *true* Title Contender (fingers crossed).
Canadafan
Starter
Posts: 2,413
And1: 717
Joined: Nov 03, 2014
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#87 » by Canadafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm

A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,810
And1: 4,998
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#88 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George.

Blake Griffin --> DETROIT PISTONS
    Landry Shamet (via Tobias)
    Ivica Zubac (via Muscala, via Boban)
    JaMychal Green (via Bradley)
    Mfiondu Kabengele (via Tobias, via 2020 pick)
    part of Paul George (via Shai Gil-Alex, via 2018 pick/Miles Bridges)
    part of Paul George (via Tobias, 2021 pick)
...
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT: If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC


Didn't mean to sound like I was gloating about the trade or anything. I was more so looking to give credit to Jerry West and the Clips Execs in general. From our side of things, the situation turned out so much better than anything we expected. The trades involving CP3 and Blake should be in a textbook, How to GM in the NBA. The Clips caught a few fortunate breaks, tbh, but that is exactly how an NBA team should re-build. From 2017 to 2020 the Clippers are entirely reformed, reconfigured, a strong new "cultural identity" has been established, and are instant Contenders.

But anyway as far as being L.A./the media market, etc... WHEN has THAT fact ever helped the Clippers before?!? Know what I mean? Who has chosen the Clippers over the Lakers, or the Knicks, or Miami, or The Bay?

LeBron didn't choose the Clippers.
Durant, Kyrie didn't choose the Clippers.

Kawhi and George are HOME TOWN kids who chose the Clippers... that make all of this 10 times sweeter. They didn't choose the "glam" of L.A. (like LeBron/Miami & Lakers, like Durant/The Bay & NYC) they chose to come home.

In the "Clippers" lifetime (since 1979)...
Spoiler:
San Antonio won 5 Titles... Detroit won 3 Titles... Seattle won a Title... Cleveland won a Title... Toronto won a Title. Portland, Phoenix, Orlando, Utah, Indiana, New Jersey (the other "little brother" team), Oklahoma City, have all been to the Finals.

So we have lived through seeing other non-"destination" markets have success. Being in this "market" hadn't help the Clippers before. It took the right Owner, the right GM/Execs, the right Coach, and the right Home Town players to finally make the Clippers a *true* Title Contender (fingers crossed).

Eh. You didn’t just not have the right people owning/running the team before.

You had the worst.

It’s actually sort of impressive how well the Clippers wasted their market advantage.

I’m happy they have a shot now.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 8,096
And1: 2,179
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#89 » by DBC10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do


I do too. But looking at it from a broad perspective, they might actually have some hurdles to get through. PG just had 2 shoulder surgeries and Kawhi is still hobbling off of one leg. They're both going to take time to really get healthy and no doubt will get games off to rest periodically. They're just betting off on playoffs at this point, and in the regular season, should be hot or cold depending on who plays.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 27,264
And1: 14,830
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#90 » by MotownMadness » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:58 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do


I do too. But looking at it from a broad perspective, they might actually have some hurdles to get through. PG just had 2 shoulder surgeries and Kawhi is still hobbling off of one leg. They're both going to take time to really get healthy and no doubt will get games off to rest periodically. They're just betting off on playoffs at this point, and in the regular season, should be hot or cold depending on who plays.

I hope both LA teams meet in the playoffs with healthy duos. Would be entertaining with all the attention it would get
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#91 » by 50CalClips » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George...
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC


This is what Kawhi (and PG) chose to face when choosing to come to the Clippers... getting BOOed by "L.A."

Kawhi didn't come to L.A. for the glamour.

Read on Twitter
flow
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,675
And1: 970
Joined: Feb 18, 2016

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#92 » by flow » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:24 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George...
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC


This is what Kawhi (and PG) chose to face when choosing to come to the Clippers... getting BOOed by "L.A."

Kawhi didn't come to L.A. for the glamour.

He came to LA because its his hometown. Everyone knows that. Was it worth a clap-back post 2.5 months later?

But since you did.... Kawhi really screwed your team by demanding the Paul George trade. And Jerry West got Jerry West'd in the process.

The team would be better with SGA & Gallo than it will be with PG. And how many draft picks were thrown in on top of it?

Just imagine having the team you have now + your 2nd year star point guard-in-the-making still in the fold + all of those draft picks still intact. But no, Kawhi had to screw it up and get diva selfish. Not blaming your team for conceding to the demand, because Kawhi is that good. But you'd better get a ring or two out of it, because the team got screwed going forward.

This was a Herschel Walker-Cowboys level trade.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 27,264
And1: 14,830
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#93 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:51 pm

[quote="flow"][quote="50CalClips"][quote="Pharaoh"]Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

[size=130][b]If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.[/b][/size]

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC[/quote]

This is what Kawhi (and PG) chose to face when choosing to come to the Clippers... getting BOOed by "L.A."

Kawhi didn't come to L.A. for the glamour.
[/quote]
He came to LA because its his hometown. Everyone knows that. Was it worth a clap-back post 2.5 months later?

But since you did.... Kawhi really screwed your team by demanding the Paul George trade. And Jerry West got Jerry West'd in the process.

The team would be better with SGA & Gallo than it will be with PG. And how many draft picks were thrown in on top of it?

Just imagine having the team you have now + your 2nd year star point guard-in-the-making still in the fold + all of those draft picks still intact. But no, Kawhi had to screw it up and get diva selfish. Not blaming your team for conceding to the demand, because Kawhi is that good. But you'd better get a ring or two out of it, because the team got screwed going forward.

This was a Herschel Walker-Cowboys level trade.[/quote]
Yeah after seeing SGA so far the Clips might regret that one for a while. Unless they win the chip i guess
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#94 » by 50CalClips » Tue Oct 29, 2019 7:53 pm

flow wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC


This is what Kawhi (and PG) chose to face when choosing to come to the Clippers... getting BOOed by "L.A."

Kawhi didn't come to L.A. for the glamour.

He came to LA because its his hometown. Everyone knows that. Was it worth a clap-back post 2.5 months later?

But since you did.... Kawhi really screwed your team by demanding the Paul George trade. And Jerry West got Jerry West'd in the process.

The team would be better with SGA & Gallo than it will be with PG. And how many draft picks were thrown in on top of it?

Just imagine having the team you have now + your 2nd year star point guard-in-the-making still in the fold + all of those draft picks still in tact going forward. But no, Kawhi had to screw it up and get diva selfish. Not blaming your team for conceding to the demand, because Kawhi is that good. But you'd better get a ring or two out of it, because the team got screwed going forward.

This was a Herschel Walker-Cowboys level trade.


Tell that to "Pharaoh" (who I'm replying to)... the Clippers don't just get any free agents cuz of the "market" we're in (that's my point). Anyway...

Herschel Walker/Dallas Cowboys level trade !?!?
And the OKC Thunder are the Cowboys???

Expect a reply to this post 2.5 years from now about that comment.

What do you expect those Picks will turn out to be?
What is OKC going to get for the 30th, the 25th, the 27th Picks, 18th, or whatever they are?
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#95 » by 50CalClips » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:06 pm

MotownMadness wrote: Yeah after seeing SGA so far the Clips might regret that one for a while. Unless they win the chip i guess


Everyone loved/loves Shai Gills. Clippers fans appreciated his potential before the rest of the league.
But the choice/the trade is not questionable.

Shoot, even if Shai Gills was a Trae Young... you make the trade for Paul George and Kawhi (by extension).

Two Championship Contending seasons + 3 or 4 seasons at the bottom of the league, is worth it.
MotownMadness
RealGM
Posts: 27,264
And1: 14,830
Joined: Oct 08, 2013
       

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#96 » by MotownMadness » Tue Oct 29, 2019 8:30 pm

50CalClips wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Yeah after seeing SGA so far the Clips might regret that one for a while. Unless they win the chip i guess


Everyone loved/loves Shai Gills. Clippers fans appreciated his potential before the rest of the league.
But the choice/the trade is not questionable.

Shoot, even if Shai Gills was a Trae Young... you make the trade for Paul George and Kawhi (by extension).

Two Championship Contending seasons + 3 or 4 seasons at the bottom of the league, is worth it.

For sure, Give Kawhi what he wants and go for it. Just wasnt expecting SGA to be this good and makes it look like you guys gave up a ton now.

But yeah when you got Kawhi its championship or bust so it was a obvious decision
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,621
And1: 3,077
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#97 » by Pharaoh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:10 pm

50CalClips wrote:
flow wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
This is what Kawhi (and PG) chose to face when choosing to come to the Clippers... getting BOOed by "L.A."

Kawhi didn't come to L.A. for the glamour.

He came to LA because its his hometown. Everyone knows that. Was it worth a clap-back post 2.5 months later?

But since you did.... Kawhi really screwed your team by demanding the Paul George trade. And Jerry West got Jerry West'd in the process.

The team would be better with SGA & Gallo than it will be with PG. And how many draft picks were thrown in on top of it?

Just imagine having the team you have now + your 2nd year star point guard-in-the-making still in the fold + all of those draft picks still in tact going forward. But no, Kawhi had to screw it up and get diva selfish. Not blaming your team for conceding to the demand, because Kawhi is that good. But you'd better get a ring or two out of it, because the team got screwed going forward.

This was a Herschel Walker-Cowboys level trade.


Tell that to "Pharaoh" (who I'm replying to)... the Clippers don't just get any free agents cuz of the "market" we're in (that's my point). Anyway...

Herschel Walker/Dallas Cowboys level trade !?!?
And the OKC Thunder are the Cowboys???

Expect a reply to this post 2.5 years from now about that comment.

What do you expect those Picks will turn out to be?
What is OKC going to get for the 30th, the 25th, the 27th Picks, 18th, or whatever they are?
You waited 2+ months to post that?

But why?

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#98 » by 50CalClips » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:27 pm

MotownMadness wrote:
50CalClips wrote:
MotownMadness wrote: Yeah after seeing SGA so far the Clips might regret that one for a while. Unless they win the chip i guess


Everyone loved/loves Shai Gills. Clippers fans appreciated his potential before the rest of the league.
But the choice/the trade is not questionable.

Shoot, even if Shai Gills was a Trae Young... you make the trade for Paul George and Kawhi (by extension).

Two Championship Contending seasons + 3 or 4 seasons at the bottom of the league, is worth it.

For sure, Give Kawhi what he wants and go for it. Just wasnt expecting SGA to be this good and makes it look like you guys gave up a ton now.

But yeah when you got Kawhi its championship or bust so it was a obvious decision


We're the Clippers, hell yeah we'll take it.
Really though, Championship or Bust, is the best any team not named 'Lakers' could hope for in this league.

How long will the Milwaukee Bucks-with-Giannis window remain open?
You see what the Golden State Warriors are looking like now?
User avatar
50CalClips
Pro Prospect
Posts: 892
And1: 257
Joined: Jul 25, 2019
   

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#99 » by 50CalClips » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:34 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:Tell that to "Pharaoh" (who I'm replying to)... the Clippers don't just get any free agents cuz of the "market" we're in (that's my point). Anyway...

Herschel Walker/Dallas Cowboys level trade !?!?
And the OKC Thunder are the Cowboys???

Expect a reply to this post 2.5 years from now about that comment.

What do you expect those Picks will turn out to be?
What is OKC going to get for the 30th, the 25th, the 27th Picks, 18th, or whatever they are?
You waited 2+ months to post that?

But why?

I didn't "wait"... I'm just replying/re-emphasizing now. The season just started, the Clippers-Lakers game just happened, and I remembered the Rams fans BOO'ing Kawhi.
User avatar
Pharaoh
RealGM
Posts: 12,621
And1: 3,077
Joined: Aug 10, 2001

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#100 » by Pharaoh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:14 am

50CalClips wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:Tell that to "Pharaoh" (who I'm replying to)... the Clippers don't just get any free agents cuz of the "market" we're in (that's my point). Anyway...

Herschel Walker/Dallas Cowboys level trade !?!?
And the OKC Thunder are the Cowboys???

Expect a reply to this post 2.5 years from now about that comment.

What do you expect those Picks will turn out to be?
What is OKC going to get for the 30th, the 25th, the 27th Picks, 18th, or whatever they are?
You waited 2+ months to post that?

But why?

I didn't "wait"... I'm just replying/re-emphasizing now. The season just started, the Clippers-Lakers game just happened, and I remembered the Rams fans BOO'ing Kawhi.
Whatever makes you happy man.

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app

Return to Detroit Pistons