Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

50CalClips
Junior
And1: 73

Re: Who got the better end of trade DET or LA.C 

Post#81 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:31 pm

Manocad wrote:
50CalClips wrote:I doubt it. And there were other assets that came from the Blake trade. "The build" was part of developing the culture that now exists in the Clips locker room.

Ah yes...the "first round playoff exit" culture. Not to rub it in, but...the Pistons have that culture in their lockerroom too. That makes the trade a tie then.

It's a new dawn... it's a new day... it's a new life.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#82 » by Manocad » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Manocad wrote:
50CalClips wrote:I doubt it. And there were other assets that came from the Blake trade. "The build" was part of developing the culture that now exists in the Clips locker room.

Ah yes...the "first round playoff exit" culture. Not to rub it in, but...the Pistons have that culture in their lockerroom too. That makes the trade a tie then.

It's a new dawn... it's a new day... it's a new life.

That's pretty prophetic. Have you considered a career calling NBA games on TNT?
50CalClips
Junior

Post#83 » by 50CalClips » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:45 pm

It's song lyrics (Nina Simone) that evoke, represent, embody these Clippers.
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 7,681

Post#84 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:55 am

50CalClips wrote:It's song lyrics (Nina Simone) that evoke, represent, embody these Clippers.

Hmm...yes, I see. How would you feel about working alongside Stan Van Gundy?
Pharaoh
RealGM
And1: 3,015

Post#85 » by Pharaoh » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:07 am

50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George.

2017 Clippers to 2020 Clippers:

Chris Paul --> HOUSTON ROCKETS
    Pat Beverley
    Lou Williams
    Montrezl Harrell
    part of Paul George (via Gallinari, via 2018 pick/Omari Spellman)

Blake Griffin --> DETROIT PISTONS
    Landry Shamet (via Tobias)
    Ivica Zubac (via Muscala, via Boban)
    JaMychal Green (via Bradley)
    Mfiondu Kabengele (via Tobias, via 2020 pick)
    part of Paul George (via Shai Gil-Alex, via 2018 pick/Miles Bridges)
    part of Paul George (via Tobias, 2021 pick)

Jamal Crawford --> ATLANTA HAWKS (/DENVER NUGGETS)
    part of Paul George (via Gallinari)
Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT:

If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC

Sent from my SM-A520F using RealGM mobile app
50CalClips
Junior

Post#86 » by 50CalClips » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:29 pm

Pharaoh wrote:
50CalClips wrote:The L.A. Clippers got about 2 or 3 STARTERS from the Blake Griffin trade, and pieces that helped acquire Paul George.

Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT: If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Your FO is awesome, your owner is awesome, I'm a fan of half your roster but if you're not based in LA Kawhi goes (stays?) elsewhere & that means George stays in OKC

Didn't mean to sound like I was gloating about the trade or anything. I was more so looking to give credit to Jerry West and the Clips Execs in general. From our side of things, the situation turned out so much better than anything we expected. The trades involving CP3 and Blake should be in a textbook, How to GM in the NBA. The Clips caught a few fortunate breaks, tbh, but that is exactly how an NBA team should re-build. From 2017 to 2020 the Clippers are entirely reformed, reconfigured, a strong new "cultural identity" has been established, and are instant Contenders.

But anyway as far as being L.A./the media market, etc... WHEN has THAT fact ever helped the Clippers before?!? Know what I mean? Who has chosen the Clippers over the Lakers, or the Knicks, or Miami, or The Bay?

LeBron didn't choose the Clippers.
Durant, Kyrie didn't choose the Clippers.

Kawhi and George are HOME TOWN kids who chose the Clippers... that make all of this 10 times sweeter. They didn't choose the "glam" of L.A. (like LeBron/Miami & Lakers, like Durant/The Bay & NYC) they chose to come home.

In the "Clippers" lifetime (since 1979)...
Spoiler:
San Antonio won 5 Titles... Detroit won 3 Titles... Seattle won a Title... Cleveland won a Title... Toronto won a Title. Portland, Phoenix, Orlando, Utah, Indiana, New Jersey (the other "little brother" team), Oklahoma City, have all been to the Finals.

So we have lived through seeing other non-"destination" markets have success. Being in this "market" hadn't help the Clippers before. It took the right Owner, the right GM/Execs, the right Coach, and the right Home Town players to finally make the Clippers a *true* Title Contender (fingers crossed).
Canadafan
Starter
And1: 623

Post#87 » by Canadafan » Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:59 pm

A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 4,806

Post#88 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:09 pm

50CalClips wrote:
Pharaoh wrote:

Not gonna dispute the fact the Clips got great returns for their aging players and then turned part of those returns into PG13 and Kawhi BUT: If your team was based in a different market neither Kawhi or PG13 give you a look regardless of the culture or FO.

Didn't mean to sound like I was gloating about the trade or anything. I was more so looking to give credit to Jerry West and the Clips Execs in general. From our side of things, the situation turned out so much better than anything we expected. The trades involving CP3 and Blake should be in a textbook, How to GM in the NBA. The Clips caught a few fortunate breaks, tbh, but that is exactly how an NBA team should re-build. From 2017 to 2020 the Clippers are entirely reformed, reconfigured, a strong new "cultural identity" has been established, and are instant Contenders.

But anyway as far as being L.A./the media market, etc... WHEN has THAT fact ever helped the Clippers before?!? Know what I mean? Who has chosen the Clippers over the Lakers, or the Knicks, or Miami, or The Bay?

LeBron didn't choose the Clippers.
Durant, Kyrie didn't choose the Clippers.

Kawhi and George are HOME TOWN kids who chose the Clippers... that make all of this 10 times sweeter. They didn't choose the "glam" of L.A. (like LeBron/Miami & Lakers, like Durant/The Bay & NYC) they chose to come home.

In the "Clippers" lifetime (since 1979)...
Spoiler:
San Antonio won 5 Titles... Detroit won 3 Titles... Seattle won a Title... Cleveland won a Title... Toronto won a Title. Portland, Phoenix, Orlando, Utah, Indiana, New Jersey (the other "little brother" team), Oklahoma City, have all been to the Finals.

So we have lived through seeing other non-"destination" markets have success. Being in this "market" hadn't help the Clippers before. It took the right Owner, the right GM/Execs, the right Coach, and the right Home Town players to finally make the Clippers a *true* Title Contender (fingers crossed).

Eh. You didn’t just not have the right people owning/running the team before.

You had the worst.

It’s actually sort of impressive how well the Clippers wasted their market advantage.

I’m happy they have a shot now.
DBC10
General Manager
And1: 2,121

Post#89 » by DBC10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:30 pm

Canadafan wrote:A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do

I do too. But looking at it from a broad perspective, they might actually have some hurdles to get through. PG just had 2 shoulder surgeries and Kawhi is still hobbling off of one leg. They're both going to take time to really get healthy and no doubt will get games off to rest periodically. They're just betting off on playoffs at this point, and in the regular season, should be hot or cold depending on who plays.
MotownMadness
RealGM
And1: 14,202

Post#90 » by MotownMadness » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:58 pm

DBC10 wrote:
Canadafan wrote:A lot of hype for Clips so far. Be interesting to see how well they actually do

I do too. But looking at it from a broad perspective, they might actually have some hurdles to get through. PG just had 2 shoulder surgeries and Kawhi is still hobbling off of one leg. They're both going to take time to really get healthy and no doubt will get games off to rest periodically. They're just betting off on playoffs at this point, and in the regular season, should be hot or cold depending on who plays.

I hope both LA teams meet in the playoffs with healthy duos. Would be entertaining with all the attention it would get

Return to Detroit Pistons