ImageImageImage

Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league.

Moderators: dVs33, Snakebites, theBigLip

vic
Sixth Man
Posts: 1,989
And1: 721
Joined: Dec 27, 2012

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#21 » by vic » Thu Aug 8, 2019 12:46 am

Just let me know when the front office goes to intern with Jerry West... that's when I'll be excited.
SVG has castrated the Pistons franchise with bad drafting, bad trades, and overpaying offensive minded players.

Gonna take Ed Stefanski a while to dig out of this hole.
Billl
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 866
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#22 » by Billl » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:20 pm

Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:That has no bearing on my point in any way. Regardless of what type of home they live in or whether they own or rent it, how many people are moving due to a 30 mile change in their work location?


95%+ of non-poor people. About 100% of any non-poor people in a major metro.

You honestly believe that 100% of people who live and work in Auburn Hills, for example, change their residence when their job moves to Detroit? That is an utterly ridiculous claim. My guess is you’ve got it completely backwards. People with money own a house, maybe spouse has a career a little bit of a distance away in the opposite direction, kids in schools they like, have a dependable car, etc. are FAR less likely to move over 30 additional miles of commute. Shoot, my job got moved TWO HOURS and 120 miles away and I didn’t move; I got an apartment by my office and came home on the weekends. People without money are more likely to be renting, car not as dependable, and can pick up and move more easily.

Not to mention, the players are ALREADY GOING TO LCA FOR GAMES. What logic supports the notion ANY of them would move because of the location of the new practice facility? That’s completely illogical.


That's some 1950's thinking you've got going there. Younger people aren't signing up for that huge commute anymore. They move by their job or find a new job. Heck, a huge chunk of 20 somethings don't even have a drivers license.
DBC10
General Manager
Posts: 7,935
And1: 2,119
Joined: Jun 01, 2013
 

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#23 » by DBC10 » Thu Aug 8, 2019 6:25 pm

_Und3r][D4wg_ wrote:The biggest & best performance center in the league. Sooo... No more excuses for under-performing?


Yeah right, they built a brand new training facility, not resurrect Jesus to side gig Miracles
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,016
And1: 7,672
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#24 » by Manocad » Thu Aug 8, 2019 8:51 pm

Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:
95%+ of non-poor people. About 100% of any non-poor people in a major metro.

You honestly believe that 100% of people who live and work in Auburn Hills, for example, change their residence when their job moves to Detroit? That is an utterly ridiculous claim. My guess is you’ve got it completely backwards. People with money own a house, maybe spouse has a career a little bit of a distance away in the opposite direction, kids in schools they like, have a dependable car, etc. are FAR less likely to move over 30 additional miles of commute. Shoot, my job got moved TWO HOURS and 120 miles away and I didn’t move; I got an apartment by my office and came home on the weekends. People without money are more likely to be renting, car not as dependable, and can pick up and move more easily.

Not to mention, the players are ALREADY GOING TO LCA FOR GAMES. What logic supports the notion ANY of them would move because of the location of the new practice facility? That’s completely illogical.


That's some 1950's thinking you've got going there. Younger people aren't signing up for that huge commute anymore. They move by their job or find a new job. Heck, a huge chunk of 20 somethings don't even have a drivers license.

Except that we're not talking about average everyday 20-somethings without drivers licenses and a 30 mile increase in their daily commute. We're talking about highly paid professional athletes who are driving to the Palace for practices, the LCA for games, very likely live in Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area and don't have to make the drive on a daily basis anyway.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.
Image
Billl
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 866
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#25 » by Billl » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:28 pm

Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:You honestly believe that 100% of people who live and work in Auburn Hills, for example, change their residence when their job moves to Detroit? That is an utterly ridiculous claim. My guess is you’ve got it completely backwards. People with money own a house, maybe spouse has a career a little bit of a distance away in the opposite direction, kids in schools they like, have a dependable car, etc. are FAR less likely to move over 30 additional miles of commute. Shoot, my job got moved TWO HOURS and 120 miles away and I didn’t move; I got an apartment by my office and came home on the weekends. People without money are more likely to be renting, car not as dependable, and can pick up and move more easily.

Not to mention, the players are ALREADY GOING TO LCA FOR GAMES. What logic supports the notion ANY of them would move because of the location of the new practice facility? That’s completely illogical.


That's some 1950's thinking you've got going there. Younger people aren't signing up for that huge commute anymore. They move by their job or find a new job. Heck, a huge chunk of 20 somethings don't even have a drivers license.

Except that we're not talking about average everyday 20-somethings without drivers licenses and a 30 mile increase in their daily commute. We're talking about highly paid professional athletes who are driving to the Palace for practices, the LCA for games, very likely live in Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area and don't have to make the drive on a daily basis anyway.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.



I didn't say any pistons would move. They travel 50% of the year anyway. They definitely aren't "normal".

And I hate to break it to you, but nobody working in metro detroit for 28 years is "normal" either. Detroit lost most of the young and mobile people over the last 40ish years. The few people left are the only ones willing to put up with that. In most of the rest of the country, most people - and especially younger people - are putting a much bigger premium on being able to live, work and play in the same area.
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,016
And1: 7,672
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#26 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 9, 2019 2:55 pm

Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:
That's some 1950's thinking you've got going there. Younger people aren't signing up for that huge commute anymore. They move by their job or find a new job. Heck, a huge chunk of 20 somethings don't even have a drivers license.

Except that we're not talking about average everyday 20-somethings without drivers licenses and a 30 mile increase in their daily commute. We're talking about highly paid professional athletes who are driving to the Palace for practices, the LCA for games, very likely live in Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area and don't have to make the drive on a daily basis anyway.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.



I didn't say any pistons would move. They travel 50% of the year anyway. They definitely aren't "normal".

And I hate to break it to you, but nobody working in metro detroit for 28 years is "normal" either. Detroit lost most of the young and mobile people over the last 40ish years. The few people left are the only ones willing to put up with that. In most of the rest of the country, most people - and especially younger people - are putting a much bigger premium on being able to live, work and play in the same area.

Except that the question was whether or not Pistons players would move closer to Detroit due to the location of the new practice facility. I was making a statement that in general people don’t move over even a 30 mile additional commute, and the odds are the players aren’t dealing with that anyway. The rest of your argument has no bearing.
Image
Billl
Starter
Posts: 2,182
And1: 866
Joined: Sep 06, 2013

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#27 » by Billl » Fri Aug 9, 2019 3:41 pm

Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:Except that we're not talking about average everyday 20-somethings without drivers licenses and a 30 mile increase in their daily commute. We're talking about highly paid professional athletes who are driving to the Palace for practices, the LCA for games, very likely live in Birmingham/Bloomfield Hills area and don't have to make the drive on a daily basis anyway.

Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.



I didn't say any pistons would move. They travel 50% of the year anyway. They definitely aren't "normal".

And I hate to break it to you, but nobody working in metro detroit for 28 years is "normal" either. Detroit lost most of the young and mobile people over the last 40ish years. The few people left are the only ones willing to put up with that. In most of the rest of the country, most people - and especially younger people - are putting a much bigger premium on being able to live, work and play in the same area.

Except that the question was whether or not Pistons players would move closer to Detroit due to the location of the new practice facility. I was making a statement that in general people don’t move over even a 30 mile additional commute, and the odds are the players aren’t dealing with that anyway. The rest of your argument has no bearing.


Actually, you can review your actual statements above and see you didn't limit your comments to pistons players.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#28 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 9, 2019 4:22 pm

It is really surreal that this argument is happening.

It’s cool that they have a new facility. Shows Gores commitment to the city. Only hope we’ll have a team worthy of it at some point in the next couple of decades.

Sadly, at this point the 2004 championship team is more ancient history today than the Bad Boys were when 2004 happened. 15 years and counting, while only 14 years separated 2004 from the second Bad Boy championship.
Image
User avatar
GreekAlex
Rookie
Posts: 1,057
And1: 352
Joined: Jul 10, 2009
Location: Los Angeles, CA
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#29 » by GreekAlex » Fri Aug 9, 2019 8:41 pm

Snakebites wrote:It is really surreal that this argument is happening.

It’s cool that they have a new facility. Shows Gores commitment to the city. Only hope we’ll have a team worthy of it at some point in the next couple of decades.

Sadly, at this point the 2004 championship team is more ancient history today than the Bad Boys were when 2004 happened. 15 years and counting, while only 14 years separated 2004 from the second Bad Boy championship.


Wow that’s really a sobering thought :nonono:
User avatar
Uncle Mxy
Head Coach
Posts: 7,395
And1: 743
Joined: Jul 14, 2004
Location: I plead the Fifth Dimension

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#30 » by Uncle Mxy » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:00 pm

Manocad wrote:Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.

You met me once. :) (We should do another game night, come to think of it.)
I decided that a 15-20 minute commute was better than an hour commute, so I moved.
Heck, I would've moved even closer to work if not for my girlfriend at the time.
User avatar
Snakebites
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
Posts: 33,366
And1: 4,784
Joined: Jul 14, 2002
Location: Looking not-so-happily deranged
   

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#31 » by Snakebites » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:16 pm

GreekAlex wrote:
Snakebites wrote:It is really surreal that this argument is happening.

It’s cool that they have a new facility. Shows Gores commitment to the city. Only hope we’ll have a team worthy of it at some point in the next couple of decades.

Sadly, at this point the 2004 championship team is more ancient history today than the Bad Boys were when 2004 happened. 15 years and counting, while only 14 years separated 2004 from the second Bad Boy championship.

Wow that’s really a sobering thought :nonono:

It’s a touch misleading when you take into account how long the 2 teams remained relevant after their rings.

The bad boys stopped being a contender pretty much right after 1990. They only had one more 50 win season with an impotent sweep out of the playoffs after the ship.

The going to work Pistons were still contenders for 4 years after that.

But still, yeah, it’s been a long time.
Image
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,016
And1: 7,672
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#32 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:41 pm

Billl wrote:
Manocad wrote:
Billl wrote:

I didn't say any pistons would move. They travel 50% of the year anyway. They definitely aren't "normal".

And I hate to break it to you, but nobody working in metro detroit for 28 years is "normal" either. Detroit lost most of the young and mobile people over the last 40ish years. The few people left are the only ones willing to put up with that. In most of the rest of the country, most people - and especially younger people - are putting a much bigger premium on being able to live, work and play in the same area.

Except that the question was whether or not Pistons players would move closer to Detroit due to the location of the new practice facility. I was making a statement that in general people don’t move over even a 30 mile additional commute, and the odds are the players aren’t dealing with that anyway. The rest of your argument has no bearing.


Actually, you can review your actual statements above and see you didn't limit your comments to pistons players.

Because I was drawing a parallelism. My posts really weren’t that hard to understand. Paraphrased simply, if Joe Average Blow doesn’t change his address due to his work location moving 30 miles (or less), wealthy athletes very likely aren’t going to. It’s a simple comparison.

You can argue until you’re blue in the face that yes, Joe Average Blow DOES move if his commute changes by four feet, Joe Average Blow is typically now a 27 year old who rides a unicycle and is secretly a spider monkey in disguise, and there are no Joe Average Blows left in Detroit because they’ve all moved to Bangladesh and opened opium dens. It still doesn’t change the fact that there is no logic whatsoever as to why a Detroit Pistons player would change where he lives based on practices being moved from the Palace to a facility near the Fisher Building in Detroit.
Image
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,016
And1: 7,672
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#33 » by Manocad » Fri Aug 9, 2019 9:51 pm

Uncle Mxy wrote:
Manocad wrote:Obviously it's anecdotal but I've worked in the metro Detroit area for 28 years now and have never met a single person who moved because their job location changed to somewhere else within the metro Detroit area.

You met me once. :) (We should do another game night, come to think of it.)
I decided that a 15-20 minute commute was better than an hour commute, so I moved.
Heck, I would've moved even closer to work if not for my girlfriend at the time.

I would say that I stand corrected, but I never knew you moved. :)

Yeah, I used to entertain a lot at my house and am still willing to; it just seems that everyone has gotten busy. Or they don’t like me anymore which is certainly a possibility. Way back when I think people were still freaked out about meeting in real life which never made sense to me. It’s like hey, I’ve got a bar, pool table, dart board, big screen, sound system, fire pit—my house it set up to whoop it up. Crawl out of your shell, grab a drink and socialize. Don’t cost nothin’.
Image
User avatar
The_Irony
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,188
And1: 357
Joined: Nov 28, 2002
Location: Westcoast

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#34 » by The_Irony » Fri Aug 9, 2019 10:12 pm

new pistons are likely living in Detroit or closer to it as well as players on short term deals like d rose as there's no reason for them to live in Birmingham/Rochester hills anymore unless they truly want to.

in my field of work the Golden State warriors move all the time. Steph curry has lived in 3 different cities in his time and most of the warriors players move to other apartments every year. most players aren't buying f'n houses :lol: young 20 somethings in the NBA will rather live close to where they work more than not as they'll have more efficient access to the facilities

anyway I'm glad the Pistons are fully engaged with the city and the facility looks like it'll be great
User avatar
Manocad
RealGM
Posts: 62,016
And1: 7,672
Joined: Dec 13, 2005
Location: Middle Fingerton
Contact:
       

Re: Pistons new performance center/team headquartes almost done/opens in October. Is the largest facility in the league 

Post#35 » by Manocad » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:12 am

The_Irony wrote:new pistons are likely living in Detroit or closer to it as well as players on short term deals like d rose as there's no reason for them to live in Birmingham/Rochester hills anymore unless they truly want to.

in my field of work the Golden State warriors move all the time. Steph curry has lived in 3 different cities in his time and most of the warriors players move to other apartments every year. most players aren't buying f'n houses :lol: young 20 somethings in the NBA will rather live close to where they work more than not as they'll have more efficient access to the facilities

anyway I'm glad the Pistons are fully engaged with the city and the facility looks like it'll be great

If you know where all the Pistons live and know that they're all going to move now that they won't be practicing at the Palace anymore, what are you wondering about?
Image

Return to Detroit Pistons